• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack on PS4 vs. Xbox One Specs: They're 'Very Close'

elcapitan

Aren't you guys assuming PS+ will be the same as this gen which makes no sense. An extremely large amount of PS4 owners will be getting it anyway for online, what reason would Sony have to essentially give away games to people that would own the service anyway?

To preserve the value proposition and maintain consumer goodwill.

imtehman

Banned
Aren't you guys assuming PS+ will be the same as this gen which makes no sense. An extremely large amount of PS4 owners will be getting it anyway for online, what reason would Sony have to essentially give away games to people that would own the service anyway?

there probably will be a restructuring.

I can't see it staying the same simply because of the reason you've given

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
As you don't cite any post: I have made no such assumption.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
To preserve the value proposition and maintain consumer goodwill.

Goodwill would be not to charge for online. The box is $100 cheaper than the competition anyway they have little reason to care about either reason. And third parties have even less reason to care. Also easy profitably makes a simple case to hang it out to dry.

Drek

1. What they've announced so far is better than what the Vita had at launch. Once the Vita had a library to pull from the PS+ offerings exploded.

2. Why do you assume PS+ is strictly used as a way to get $50 a year from gamers, or that once they have that revenue coming in already they'll feel no incentive to continue?

Look at the games offered on PS+. Do you think Sony is making oodles of cash off of it giving those games away as it stands now? I don't.

Instead, it looks like a reasonable system whereby the can subsidize publisher costs to create a game "club" a la cheese/jam/wine of the month clubs. Much like those set ups Sony uses bulk purchasing to get incredibly friendly deals, then distributes those to gamers. In short, if publishers are finding value in selling a specific AAA title over Steam for $5 years after it's release and netting an extra 100k sales why do you think they'll suddenly disagree with getting $3.00 each from 10 million PS+ subscribers instead? When they have a sequel coming out in two months? It adds up. The more PS+ subs the more buying power Sony will have.

But lets take that one step further - what kind of games have we seen? A lot of games with sequels or new DLC just releasing. A lot of smaller titles that wouldn't get much publicity otherwise, but that are high quality titles. A lot of older games past their prime that were well received critically but missed at retail. In short, it's free marketing.

Why do you think they're going to suddenly curtail the library of games when the distribution of said games is 1. cheap and 2. free marketing for the parties involved?

If anything I'd expect the offerings to grow and improve as they bring more people into the club thanks to the online paywall. 3rd parties will be much more interested in using it for promotion of franchises and to squeeze out every last penny of profit on older titles a la Steam sales.

ToyBroker

Banned
and add that one of the biggest sony exclusive infamous ss isnt setting the graphical bar compared to what we seen for xb1.

Lol.

Every time I read your posts you always crack me up.

It's widely agreed that Infamous is the best looking next-gen game atm.

And Infamous isn't even the biggest Sony exclusive.

nib95

Banned
there probably will be a restructuring.

I can't see it staying the same simply because of the reason you've given

Perhaps, but already day one PS+ for PS4 users is excellent. DriveClub, Don't Starve, Outlast and Secret Ponchos straight away. That's a damn good start for free. And that's not including Warframe or other F2P games.

Vashetti

Banned
I mean, most games on consoles are 720p or lower, 30fps or lower. That's pretty crappy by modern standards and I'm not interested in that, very cheap or not.

So your criticisms of Plus are moot anyway.

You shouldn't be using a current-gen console if you're so averse to all that.

I think they have to keep it or else they're just charging because Microsoft does. PS+'s whole pull is the free games. If publishers shy away because of the huge increase in people who can play their game for free, Sony might put more indie games and free to play stuff in there.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
1. What they've announced so far is better than what the Vita had at launch. Once the Vita had a library to pull from the PS+ offerings exploded.

2. Why do you assume PS+ is strictly used as a way to get $50 a year from gamers, or that once they have that revenue coming in already they'll feel no incentive to continue?

Look at the games offered on PS+. Do you think Sony is making oodles of cash off of it giving those games away as it stands now? I don't.

Instead, it looks like a reasonable system whereby the can subsidize publisher costs to create a game "club" a la cheese/jam/wine of the month clubs. Much like those set ups Sony uses bulk purchasing to get incredibly friendly deals, then distributes those to gamers.

But lets take that one step further - what kind of games have we seen? A lot of games with sequels or new DLC just releasing. A lot of smaller titles that wouldn't get much publicity otherwise, but that are high quality titles. A lot of older games past their prime that were well received critically but missed at retail. In short, it's free marketing.

Why do you think they're going to suddenly curtail the library of games when the distribution of said games is 1. cheap and 2. free marketing for the parties involved?

If anything I'd expect the offerings to grow and improve as they bring more people into the club thanks to the online paywall. 3rd parties will be much more interested in using it for promotion of franchises and to squeeze out every last penny of profit on older titles a la Steam sales.

MS already has these sorts of deals with publishers from Xbox live you give them a slice of that revenue it makes little sense to just give away their games for it. PS+ is a rental service the more important that service is to the consumers the easier it is to make profit through taking certain liabilities. E.g youtube's increasing usage of ads.

There's little reason believe Sony won't either pull the games or add an more expensive tier regular to PS+ for for those games. Either way it makes little sense for them to operate the way they did before.

nib95

Banned
Lol.

Not for me. Nothing comes close to this yet. And I bet there's plenty they're holding back on.

sf.gif

kzsftrail.gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think they have to keep it or else they're just charging because Microsoft does. PS+'s whole pull is the free games. If publishers shy away because of the huge increase in people who can play their game for free, Sony might put more indie games and free to play stuff in there.

Again a hundred dollar cheaper console would push customers to you anyway. This gen showed how Xbox with it's pay for online and other crap beat the PS3 for most the generation despite it not having those things simply because it was cheaper and launched earlier.

Sony would simply only need to keep parity with xbox one to have the competitive advantage due to being $100 it has no reason to neuter further profitability when it could likely cheap the vast majority of it's customers by just having parity.

nib95

Banned
Again a hundred dollar cheaper console would push customers to you anyway. This gen showed how Xbox with it's pay for online and other crap beat the PS3 for most the generation despite it not having those things simply because it was cheaper and launched earlier.

Sony would simply only need to keep parity with xbox one to have the competitive advantage due to being $100 it has no reason to neuter further profitability when it could likely cheap the vast majority of it's customers by just having parity.

Thank God you're not running Sony eh? It's not about doing the bare minimum, that's a strategy better suited to Microsoft. It's about offering maximum value proposition even if your competition isn't, to build up good will and ensure maximum confidence in your consumer base.

TheKayle

Banned
Lol.

isnt even close to be the best looking ...game....dont know widely what mean for u then

Eh. Last gen the difference was more of a studio advantage than a hardware advantage. Sony has ND, SSM, QD, & GG. Microsoft had Bungie and Gears for the most part. It took 343i for people to say "that's running on 360??" again.

Based on Phil Spencer saying they've got 3 new studios specifically for AAA big budget games, I don't see that huge first party visual advantage being as great as it was last time around. Just off it not being Sony's 5+ visual feasts vs just halo and gears anymore changes the dynamic.

Absolutely false. Those studios were there on the PS2, and they didn't have better looking games than on Xbox.

Hardware plays a big factor, although art and talent go a long way. Also this whole "Halo 4 looks insane" is..... well let me say that the big wow comes from the cutscenes, as in game Halo 4 is simply not on the level of PS3 exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, Killzone. Sony devs besides their talent, had access to more powerful hardware and they had the tools to properly use it.

and add that one of the biggest sony exclusive infamous ss isnt setting the graphical bar compared to what we seen for xb1.

Looks better than X1 exclusives. It's year 1 too, which is impressive as MS has Ryse being done by Crytek no less.

Absolutely not. The last thing Sony needs to do is sit back and wait for Microsoft to make a move and then copy them. Free games on Plus was a great idea. It was so good Microsoft copied it and started giving away free games too. They need more fresh ideas like that to get people to switch from Live. Just being cheaper doesn't guarantee anything.

Absolutely false. Those studios were there on the PS2, and they didn't have better looking games than on Xbox.

Hardware plays a big factor, although art and talent go a long way. Also this whole "Halo 4 looks insane" is..... well let me say that the big wow comes from the cutscenes, as in game Halo 4 is simply not on the level of PS3 exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, Killzone.

I found it pretty funny that many Xbox fans were amazed by Halo 4's graphics. To me, Halo 4 did not have any better graphics than Halo Reach. Killzone 2, an early PS3 title, looks miles better than Halo 4, a late gen game.

jayu26

I found it pretty funny that many Xbox fans were amazed by Halo 4's graphics. To me, Halo 4 did not have any better graphics than Halo Reach. Killzone 2, an early PS3 title, looks miles better than Halo 4, a late gen game.

tumblr_m5paa5KJvb1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

That doesn't seem too impressive to me. Seems lifeless. Mgs5 looks infinity better.
MGS was so lifeless they actually had to fast-forward through there own game at E3. Zing.

But seriously, this is some hyperbole right here.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Absolutely not. The last thing Sony needs to do is sit back and wait for Microsoft to make a move and then copy them. Free games on Plus was a great idea. It was so good Microsoft copied it and started giving away free games too. They need more fresh ideas like that to get people to switch from Live. Just being cheaper doesn't guarantee anything.

But it basically lost Sony a massive amount of market share this gen did it not.

Sony is a business they want to be more profitable especially to build better relationship with investors (since there unfortunate past few years). There's other ways to woo potential buyers, the fact PS+ is now required for online play is proof of this. I just find you guys kind of naïve to believe Sony won't change some of it's policy's in regards to plus this gen.

They just made you play for online play, is it really all that strange to expect them to dial down the amount of free games to throw at you. They aren't your best pals, they don't want to piss you off but they also you know want to make a decent profit. Like all businesses do. This may lead to them making decisions you don't like e.g making you pay to play online.

ari

Banned
But it basically lost Sony a massive amount of market share this gen did it not.

Sony is a business they want to be more profitable especially to build better relationship with investors (since there unfortunate past few years). There's other ways to woo potential buyers, the fact PS+ is now required for online play is proof of this. I just find you guys kind of naïve to believe Sony won't change some of it's policy's in regards to plus this gen.

They just made you play for online play, is it really all that strange to expect them to dial down the amount of free games to throw at you. They aren't your best pals, they don't want to piss you off but they also you know want to make a decent profit.
PS+ already have tons of free content day one for ps4 owners. I'm getting both though so this isn't my argument. I do see what you're saying though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
PS+ already have tons of free content day one for ps4 owners.

It already includes PS+ version of retail games (which aren't the full retail games, PS3 didn't have this), that's kind my point, also Sony is trying to woo launch buyers, what's your protection against them deciding to stop providing all that content e.g Linux support.

I find it very strange your assuming things will simply remain the same when there's a decent chance they won't.

TheKayle

Banned

Hardware plays a big factor, although art and talent go a long way. Also this whole "Halo 4 looks insane" is..... well let me say that the big wow comes from the cutscenes, as in game Halo 4 is simply not on the level of PS3 exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, Killzone. Sony devs besides their talent, had access to more powerful hardware and they had the tools to properly use it.

Looks better than X1 exclusives. It's year 1 too, which is impressive as MS has Ryse being done by Crytek no less.

graphically talking dont look better than ryse or quantum break (hoping the gameplay is good as the in real time in game cutscene) but how it could? is a open world game!... certainly dont show 40% power difference...forza is on another lvl than driveclub (but theres too much difference between this two devs studios and probably on the budgets) and knack isnt a game that you would play for the incredible graphics

again...also if infamous would be the best looking game from E3 (and it isnt) i didnt see nothing that couldnt run on the xb1 hardware as well.....seen that the division is a multiplat game and look how it look ;)

ari

Banned
It already includes PS+ version of retail games (which aren't the full retail games, PS3 didn't have this), that's kind my point, also Sony is trying to woo launch buyers, what's your protection against them deciding to stop providing all that content e.g Linux support.

I find it very strange your assuming things will simply remain the same when there's a decent chance they won't.
I see what you saying but I don't see Sony letting up with the PS+.

graphically talking dont look better than ryse or quantum break (hoping the gameplay is good as the in real time in game cutscene) and certainly dont show 40% power difference...forza is on another lvl than driveclub (but theres too much difference between this two devs studios and probably on the budgets) and knack isnt a game that you would play for the incredible graphics

again...also if infamous would be the best looking game from E3 (and it isnt) i didnt see nothing that couldnt run on the xb1 hardware as well.....seen that the division is a multiplat game and look how it look ;)

If we are going to compare non gameplay, The Order looks better than Quantum Break. Infamous to me does look better than Ryse, but Ryse looks very nice.

They don't have to look 40% better, this is just year one. As these machines are exploited more and more, Xbox One will reach its ceiling quicker than the PS4. But right now, there's still room to grow a lot for both consoles. The graphical bar usually only comes 1 or 2 years after the systems launch.

The best looking game from E3 is The Division, a multiplat game yes... but what you saw wasn't running on Xbox One, neither was it even being controlled with a Xbox controller.

Look I'll defend honour of any Killzone game when it deserves defending, but not in this case.

You should play both of them again.

I've played them recently. Halo 4 has jaw dropping cutscenes, but in gameplay it never shines quite so bright at all. It looks better than Killzone in terms of art, because honestly Killzone has been a butt ugly series in terms of art aside from a level here and there. But it looks less impressive, the weapons themselves look better in Killzone 2 and the lightning and the motion blur and overall image quality. Killzone 3 level with the snow and the water for example, looks better than anything I've ever seen on Xbox 360.

imtehman

Banned
Not for me. Nothing comes close to this yet. And I bet there's plenty they're holding back on.

nothing comes close? such hyperbole is hard to take seriously, and judging by the constant gif posting of Killzone in the past i take it some are going to get beat into our heads with a barrage of KZ gifs when the new one comes out

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I see what you saying but I don't see Sony letting up with the PS+.

At the very least I don't see why third parties would want to give there games to it now or least not ages after the games launch since it could basically now actually eat in their game sales a fair bit considering it's likely far larger userbase.

So if only Sony's largely supporting it, a large amount of it's value drops anyway. So it's extremely strange to assume it'll simply continue like it did last gen with all these unknown factors.

Which is why I find it very strange people using it as an argument when it's basically an unknown quantity.

jayu26

graphically talking dont look better than ryse or quantum break (hoping the gameplay is good as the in real time in game cutscene) but how it could? is a open world game!...and certainly dont show 40% power difference...forza is on another lvl than driveclub (but theres too much difference between this two devs studios and probably on the budgets) and knack isnt a game that you would play for the incredible graphics

What the fuck are you trying to say?

This entire post is...
333bfd0.gif

benny_a

At the very least I don't see why third parties would want to give there gams to it now or least not ages after the games launch since it could basically now actually eat in their game sales a fair bit.

So if only Sony's largely supporting it, a large amount of it's value drops anyway. So it's extremely strange to assume it'll simply continue like it did last gen with all these unknown factors.
Can you expand for what changed in publisher relationship between PS3 and PS4 with regards to PS+?

Chobel

What the fuck are you trying to say?

This entire post is...
333bfd0.gif

Try not to be harsh on him, English is not his first language ( maybe not even second :p).
What he's trying to say that The division (multiplatform) looks better than Infamous:SS , but again it wasn't demonstrated on Xbox one.

benny_a

Try not to be harsh on him, English is not his first language ( maybe not even second :p).
English is the third language I learned too. It's the lack of effort, not the ability that is obvious with his posts.

What he's trying to say that The division (multiplatform) looks better than Infamous:SS , but again it wasn't demonstrated on Xbox one.
The people that voted for the E3 awards agree that The Division was the most impressive software.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Can you expand for what changed in publisher relationship between PS3 and PS4 with regards to PS+?

One is an optional rental service, they'll likely be some cross over but likely for the most part publishers are probably making more money than the sales they lost, the other is an almost mandatory service for anyone interested in playing online (which is a lot) so it's user base will likely be far higher, this means more sales could be potentially be lost preventing publishers from wanting to put the game on PS+ anytime soon after release (or at all), as the loss in sales which could potentially outweigh the revenue gained from the service, no one knows the precise numbers until everything is out in the wild, but considering how expensive game development is for AAA it's makes sense some publishers will be sceptical.

This is all basically logical deduction. I don't know the specifics of the deal is but they likely are based on smilar principle (outweighing revenue frm service in comparison to sales lost).

TheKayle

Banned
If we are going to compare non gameplay, The Order looks better than Quantum Break. Infamous to me does look better than Ryse, but Ryse looks very nice.

They don't have to look 40% better, this is just year one. As these machines are exploited more and more, Xbox One will reach its ceiling quicker than the PS4. But right now, there's still room to grow a lot for both consoles. The graphical bar usually only comes 1 or 2 years after the systems launch.

The best looking game from E3 is The Division, a multiplat game yes... but what you saw wasn't running on Xbox One, neither was it even being controlled with a Xbox controller.

can we agree that for the average joe ....lookign at all this games .. will choose by his taste and certainly not coz one game look immensly more beauty than the less power console exclusive counter part?

maybe in 2 years of a 6/7 (i hope 5) long life cycle the best devs will push the limits of the console and yes we will start to see the differences between the consoles but is something new? ps3 exclusives was looking better than x360 already...im repeating this from 1 week if we need 1.5/2 years to see first party devs push the console also if the architecture this time is LOTS easier and very close at what pc are ALSO having 40% gpu power and unified pool of memory with better driver and devs tools....IF isnt this easy to take advance of this power.. i trust that only some devs (pretty much the same first party studio of the last gen) will show the difference...
and this time not having complicated architecture ala "ps3"...will have equality on multiplats or just minor boost one time in a console one time in the other

benny_a

One is an optional rental service, they'll likely be some cross over but likely for the most part publishers are probably making more money than the sales they lost, the other is an almost mandatory service for anyone interested in playing online (which is a lot) so it's user base will likely be far higher, this means more sales could be potentially be lost preventing publishers from wanting to put the game on PS+ anytime soon after release (or at all), as the loss in sales which could potentially outweigh the revenue gained from the service, no one knows the precise numbers until everything is out in the wild, but considering how expensive game development is for AAA it's makes sense some publishers will be sceptical.

This is all basically logical deduction.
You have unstated assumptions here. Would be good to state them.

One is revenue sharing of which there is zero information out there.
Same with publishers opting in to PS+ and Steam sales at strategic times for previous games in franchises that are close to getting a sequel.

Edit: Ah you added an extra sentence there at the end.

Top Bottom