• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain has Brain Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like McCain, but fuck the minority celebrating this. Being for universal healthcare and believing it is a universal right means you believe it is a right like any other that everyone no matter their political leaning should be able to get help and treatment for something like brain cancer.

If you celebrate someone falling victim to it, I can only imagine that you don't really want universal healthcare at all. You just want your own healthcare to be cheaper or government provided.

To the majority being classy, I'm happy to see it.

McCain gave a lot for his country even if he doesn't think healthcare is a right like many of us here do.
It being cheaper is kind of one of the main points. You know, so people don't go bankrupt for getting sick. Or obviously not able to have insurance at all.

And given the private marketplace has failed miserably, the main alternative would be government provided or supported.

Why are so many people conflating going "Shame but he's still an asshole." to "WHOOO HOOO That's what you get asshole!" They're not the same thing. I wouldn't cheer anyone getting cancer but I'm not gonna cry him a river either.

They're the same if you don't care about the truth and would rather wag your finger at someone.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean this makes sense given some of the weirdness lately. Shame, i always thought of him as someone who would stand up to Trump's shit but now i see why maybe that didnt happen.

ajb1888

Banned
Yeah that's really helping us win elections and passing legislation that helps people.

Winning isn't everything. There are ways we can help people every day.
Good grief I'm starting to sound preachy ugh...

on topic, I hope the best for his recovery, regardless our political differences.

Culex

Banned
He certainly has made (and continues to do) poor political choices, no questions there. He does every now and then show glimmers of hope like during one of the presidential town halls, where he rebuked a lady calling Obama a dirty muslim.

Why are so many people conflating going "Shame but he's still an asshole." to "WHOOO HOOO That's what you get asshole!" They're not the same thing. I wouldn't cheer anyone getting cancer but I'm not gonna cry him a river either.

Because that doesn't fit the narrative straw man they want to fight against.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
There are like, 5 people just on this page saying all sorts of stupid things.
It's fucking shameful and it makes me ashamed that I consider myself a liberal too.

I would also like people to enlighten me why this guy is the reincarnation of evil, beside the fact that he doesn't back ACA and is generally a Hawk when it comes to FP.

there's multiple people in this thread who have explained that they or their family members would've died had it not been for the assistance McCain is trying to strip. Maybe ask them.

slit

This is awful and I would never wish that on anyone, I hope he beats it and I know it is a very aggressive cancer. Having said that I don't think a GAF thread will exist when a cashier at Target dies from cancer due to lack of healthcare that he was more willing to allow to happen and vote in favor of. To those who don't seem to understand why some are not falling all over themselves with grief, I hope you never have to fight cancer without any help at all. You'll be a lot better off than if the GOP gets its way.

I would also like people to enlighten me why this guy is the reincarnation of evil

Me a page ago said:
Reminder: while McCain was in 'Nam his wife got in a car wreck and was stuck in a wheel chair when John came back. John immediately started cheating on her and eventually divorced her so he could marry his mistress.

I don't mind copy pasting this some more if others need it btw. His hatred of the handicapped didn't start with this healthcare thing, and I wouldn't want anyone whitewashing things so it seemed like it did

Lois_Lane

It's fucking shameful and it makes me ashamed that I consider myself a liberal too.

I would also like people to enlighten me why this guy is the reincarnation of evil, beside the fact that he doesn't back ACA and is generally a Hawk when it comes to FP.

He was going to vote to have millions lose their health insurance. Leaving preemature babies without their developmenta therapy, cancer patients without their chemo, and, on a more personal note, me without my ADHD medication.

The only thing that keeps me from failing out of college.

So yes, he embodies a little bit of evil for me.

Dishwalla

Banned
Look I get it, it is hard to sympathize with him given his track record, but going "lol fuck him, sucks to be him" when he's just been diagnosed with brain cancer is simply bad humanism.

Biske

Look everyone..

I'm sorry.

I forgot about that time I was in an incredible position of power and privilege and I used it to vote to take away John's healthcare, completely indifferent as to what he would do if he currently needed it or would some day need it. I was under a lot of pressure by other rude assholes and more often than not I went along with them and stayed quiet, cause maybe they'd come after me and I'd take a lot of political heat and things would be bad for me. I was pretty callous and selfish.

But now that he is suffering like the people he doesn't care about or fight for, I feel bad for him and wish him a speedy recovery so he can get right back to helping other people fuck those people over.

No shit, cancer sucks, nobody should get it, nobody deserves it, I understand that. I'm not sure John McCain does. If I had the power and influence he does, and was part of a voting body, and they asked me to support bills that meant less people, with cancer! having access to treat it, I would say no, loudly and proudly, from the roof tops, every. fucking. time. Something he hasn't done.

So yes, this is a perfect time to say, you're an asshole John McCain and you've wasted your chances to help people in now very similar conditions to you. Except you will 100% not have to worry about getting healthcare.

But by all means, get well so you can get back to making sure others can't get well.

GetLucky

I hope for a speedy recovery. I can't help but think the cancer impacted his recent incoherent statements, which I understand can happen.

Fuck cancer.

Brewmont

Banned
I don't know. Does that person have a hard on for stripping healthcare from millions, dooming them to death or bankruptcy? Does he have access to great healthcare despite still wanting to take it from others?

I'm sure if you asked him, that's what he would totally say was his reason. People justify their reasons based on all kinds of things.

MUnited83

For you.

Just look at the other thread where dumbasses thought "Fuck McCain" translated to " I WISH HIM THE WORST OF DEATHS". They love trying to appear morally superior and they will misrepresent and make shit up all day to do so.

It being cheaper is kind of one of the main points. You know, so people don't go bankrupt for getting sick. Or obviously not able to have insurance at all.

And given the private marketplace has failed miserably, the main alternative would be government provided or supported.
Not sure why you think I need to be told what's good about universal healthcare. I'm for it.

I just don't think anyone celebrating someone getting brain cancer and hoping it's terminal or whatever because of their politics can honestly say they think healthcare is a universal right. That's all. Being for universal healthcare is kind of about not wanting anyone to get sick and for those that do to get the best treatment. Even if they're in the GOP.

I've always found it weird that dying or having a deadly condition seems to lessen that person's sins. Yeah, it sucks he has this but at the same time I'm not going to police reactions from those he has tried to ruin.

Surfinn

by saying it's classless to condemn someone with brain cancer?
I'm saying you can wish someone well in regard to recovering from brain cancer. I never said all their fuck ups should be forgiven.

Look at Obama's response. You think that's not the right way to handle this?

Well, this thread is exactly the trainwreck I expected it to be when I opened it.

I wish him a lack of pain and suffering, the same wish I have for all other humans.

Something looked seriously wrong with McCain during the Comey testimony. Normally he is a very articulate person and he could barely form a coherent sentence at the time.

Unfotunately, it looks like it was something serious.

Wishing him the best.

Tovarisc

Short statement from Trump on McCain
DFI_aDNV0AA-Aml.jpg

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/887841798898556928

Lois_Lane

Winning isn't everything. There are ways we can help people every day.

You. . .

I just. . .

Please reread your statement and think about the millions who are hanging by a thread because we lost one election.

Winning is only as important as the stakes and the stakes are pretty damn high right now.

Foffy

Banned
Yeah why the fuck hasn't Trump said anything yet

This has been out for hours

Trump would find a way to make this about himself. It's better for him to not say one word because Trump has a very poor problem of actually being mindful of others in a sincere manner unless it's a PR statement like the one just posted here.

shem935

Banned
Like I don't wish pain and suffering on the guy.

But stop whitewashing his bullshit with this maverick stuff. The privileges he has now are ones he wants to take away from those less fortunate than him.

I hope his remaining time is pain free.

Hrm, yes, besides the fact that my brother (who relies on expensive kidney-transplant anti-rejection drugs to live that he would literally not be able to afford without the ACA's mandates) and I (relying on multiple appointments & prescriptions per year that I would not be able to afford without insurance, with the same condition as my brother) would be impacted by this, what else is there?

Maybe instead of rushing to tone police based on a strawman, you could maybe actually read the posts by the people you're demonizing.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just look at the other thread where dumbasses thought "Fuck McCain" translated to " I WISH HIM THE WORST OF DEATHS". They love trying to appear morally superior and they will misrepresent and make shit up all day to do so.

This form of cancer at his age is effectively a death sentence. So yes, saying fuck him is wishing death regardless of the healthcare.

I don't agree with his politics. With regard to healthcare he may believe privatized healthcare by employers is best, and his employer is the government. It's consistent with his belief.

MUnited83

For you.
Not sure why you think I need to be told what's good about universal healthcare. I'm for it.

I just don't think anyone celebrating someone getting brain cancer and hoping it's terminal or whatever because of their politics can honestly say they think healthcare is a universal right. That's all. Being for universal healthcare is kind of about not wanting anyone to get sick and for those that do to get the best treatment. Even if they're in the GOP.

I think you'll struggle to find more than one person in this thread actually "celebrating" or "hoping it's terminal". Why do people continue to make this shit up?

This form of cancer at his age is effectively a death sentence. So yes, saying fuck him is wishing death regardless of the healthcare.

I don't agree with his politics. With regard to healthcare he may believe privatized healthcare by employers is best, and his employer is the government. It's consistent with his belief.
His views on healthcare are also a motherfucking death sentence. To fucking millions of people. For people that can't afford the care he can.
Saying "Fuck Him" merely means that he's a piece of shit that people don't own empathy to. He is a monster that wouldn't help anyone that got hit by the same disease.Getting cancer doesn't absolve you from your sins and actions.

They're the same if you don't care about the truth and would rather wag your finger at someone.

And there's an obvious difference..although, I'm not surprised by the brothers who wanna beat their chest about this, while ignoring other things that you'd imagine are more personal. The game is the game tho..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom