• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain: Romney should pick Sarah Palin for his VP slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
kG3or.gif

McCain's gotta be trolling.

Dresden

As much as I disagree with the guy politically sometimes, he's always had a good sense of humor. People should watch the video who doubt it, he was clearly making a joke. He knows...

I was thinking about Wallace's article/essay on him in Consider the Lobster--hard to get past his known sense of humor, however much I might disagree with him otherwise.

McCain's gotta be trolling.

There's no question he was kidding around. Here's the question he was responding to:

Sara Palin has said that she thinks the nominee, if it is in fact Mitt Rmoney, should quote "go rogue." What's your advice?

He almost said 'I think it should be Sarah Palin, too.' He's calling her her out for the self-promotion and getting a nice body shot in the same sentence.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I was thinking about Wallace's article/essay on him in Consider the Lobster--hard to get past his known sense of humor, however much I might disagree with him otherwise.
I have never read that. I should check it out.
Before he ran for president, I grew up knowing him as one of the funnier conservative dudes you'd see on The Daily Show, Letterman or Conan.
Once McCain's campaign started to go crazy and he saw how fucking insane a lot of his support was, I think he finally realized that he hated what he'd become, so he went back to being kinda alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrnRU3ocIH4 stuff like that must have scared the shit out of him at the time.
Yeah, he bought into the system, but clearly regretted it. His drop-out speech was actually pretty moving.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think Mitch Daniels, as a relatively visible, relatively experienced, relatively popular, and not quite as insane as most, sitting Republican Governor, is probably just about the best possible Republican VP pick. Tim Pawlenty would be a distant second.

In the wildcard category, Dick Lugar (although I suspect he's a tad too old to be comfortable to say yes). I think Marco Rubio is way overbought right now, but stranger things have happened. Bobby Jindal as well is someone whose name keeps coming up, but there's no particularly good argument for him. Chris Christie would be a disaster.

Cheebo

Banned
I think Mitch Daniels, as a relatively visible, relatively experienced, relatively popular, and not quite as insane as most, sitting Republican Governor, is probably just about the best possible Republican VP pick. Tim Pawlenty would be a distant second.

In the wildcard category, Dick Lugar (although I suspect he's a tad too old to be comfortable to say yes). I think Marco Rubio is way overbought right now, but stranger things have happened.

Rubio is still the perfect match I think

-Minority
-Conservative base adores him
-From a swing state

In the wildcard category, Dick Lugar (although I suspect he's a tad too old to be comfortable to say yes). I think Marco Rubio is way overbought right now, but stranger things have happened. Bobby Jindal as well is someone whose name keeps coming up, but there's no particularly good argument for him. Chris Christie would be a disaster.

Most of those people would have a better shot at being president than Romney. They are better off waiting till 2016

andycapps

The This American Life episode this week that's dealing with PAC's and their role in the political process is pretty great. He and Feingold are interviewed. Good stuff.

Meier

So I was just googling old man yells at cloud to post and someone decided to make it work even better for this instance.

2705458292_cb425a1663_z.jpg

It's actually not that horrible of an idea in terms of strategy. Romney will never win because of how little he fires up the republicans, Palin coming on board would increase the Republican turnout in the election by quite a bit. (still don't think he wins but his chances wouldn't be zero)

She's spent the last 4 years as a tv personality and is more than capable of holding her own during interviews now. All her dirty laundry has been aired and discussed to death, so no surprises there. Even the debates wouldn't be much of an issue since shes spent so much time sitting around listening to and spouting off talking points.

She'd never do it though, VP nomination isn't going to be worth disclosing her income and blowing up whatever notion is left that she is an every woman.

Cat Party

As much as I disagree with the guy politically sometimes, he's always had a good sense of humor. People should watch the video who doubt it, he was clearly making a joke. He knows...

Don't embarrass yourself GAF

That would certainly make more sense.

Poor John McCain. He was obviously joking, so either you're looking at it out of context and it makes him look like a senile old man with dementia, or you look at it in context and it's a remark that could easily land him in a lot of hot water with Sarah's minions. Fortunately subtlety isn't their strong suit.

Poor John McCain. He was obviously joking, so either you're looking at it out of context and it makes him look like a senile old man with dementia, or you look at it in context and it's a remark that could easily land him in a lot of hot water with Sarah's minions. Fortunately subtlety isn't their strong suit.

He's old and wealthy and untouchable. He doesn't give a damn

Dyno

Ice Burn baby! That's why you can't simply write people off. Even if you disagree with everything they do for 99 days on the 100th they'll show you that there is some good in them.

Levyne

Banned
McCains always seemed to be a bit of a joker. There's the video posted and I remember after Obama was elected he was asked how he felt and he said something like (paraphrased) "I sleep like a baby now, I cry, fall asleep, wake up, cry, and fall asleep again."

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oh course McCain's a jokester. He was the Daily Show's most frequent guest for years before him and Stewart broke up.

impirius

I love it.

If only McCain had won the GOP nomination in 2000. I remember the primaries in South Carolina... ugly stuff.

xbhaskarx

“I think we have some very qualified candidates,” citing Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida and Govs. Mitch Daniels of Indiana, Chris Christie of New Jersey and Bobby Jindal of Louisiana.“

Okay then why did you suggest Palin?

Dyno

“I think we have some very qualified candidates,” citing Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida and Govs. Mitch Daniels of Indiana, Chris Christie of New Jersey and Bobby Jindal of Louisiana.“

Really man? Really?

He started with a little joke and then went on to seriously answer to the question.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Jindal would be just as awesome

gabbo

I think McCain is a pretty cool guy. Eh makes fun of his own party and doesn’t afraid of anything.

He used to break with the party a lot more on serious issues, now he just doesn't care who he targets/it's Romney he hates.

Dresden

He used to break with the party a lot more on serious issues, now he just doesn't care who he targets/it's Romney he hates.

No, not really . . . he's always been a rather hardline conservative. It's just that he's not insane.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Honest question. Outside of times where a President has been shot or impeached when was the last time the VP honestly mattered?

That's a big reason why many moderates I know switched from McCain to Obama.

He seemed old/possible risk of death, and if his VP choice didn't legitimately seem mentally challenged/batshit crazy they probably would have stayed in his camp. I know personally before McCain flipped on a few issues I was on the fence, but the Palin choice was the last straw for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom