• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Oliver to Voice Zazu in Live-Action 'Lion King'

Prompto

Banned
John Oliver has joined the cast of Jon Favreau's live-action Lion King movie as Zazu.

Oliver is joining a voice cast that includes Donald Glover (Simba) and James Earl Jones (Mufasa), as well as Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner who will voice Pumbaa and Timon, respectively.

Jeff Nathanson (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales) wrote the script for the live-action adaptation, which is being produced by Favreau and Jeffrey Silver.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lion-king-john-oliver-voice-zazu-live-action-movie-1019837

Didnt see a thread for this yet

Theonik

How do you do a live action film of a talking animal cast? If you will do everything in effects and record separately it sounds like an animated feature?
E Moreover I like John Oliver and all but he's no Rowan Atkinson. This movie sounds like a terrible idea.

I really wish they'd stop calling this movie a Live action Lion King. If it's anything like Jungle Book it means it'll be 100% CGI. JB at least had Mowgli but everything else besides him was CG. Not a luxury they'll have for LK.

Stop calling it live action.

Sanjuro

It's like Deborah from accounting getting too into her cartoon character voices. "Yes, Deborah we know it's you and you can do silly voices. Come on, Deborah. Please stop, Deborah! DEBORAH NO!"

teiresias

How do you do a live action film of a talking animal cast?

Just like they did the remake of "The Jungle Book"? The movie really needs that level of animal CGI, but this has the added production bonus of not even needing to worry about mixing in a live-action actor at all.

I do find it odd that in both this and Beauty and the Beast they find it necessary to recast what was only voice talent (though obviously Jonathan Taylor Thomas has gone through puberty since then).

Sanjuro

I'm just picturing Oliver saying "Zazu"

LMtOx9Y.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
Billy Eichner? I absolutely loathed him in Parks and Rec, is there something else I should watch in order to gain some faith in that choice for Timon?

I never understand the idea that these remakes should use the same voices. The original movie already exists. It's OK for this be different, in fact that's what makes it interesting at all.

teiresias

Rowan Atkinson, the original. The guy sounds exactly the same. Ridiculous they didn't go with him again.

I mean, it's obvious that for these remakes they're banking on more recognizable cast members than they tend to in their actual regular animated fare.

shira

I mean, it's obvious that for these remakes their banking on more recognizable cast members than they tend to in their actual regular animated fare.

You think John Oliver's show makes him a bigger worldwide star than Mr. Bean?

Everyone knows Mr. Bean

teiresias

Everyone knows Mr. Bean

I think you'd be disappointed if you took a poll concerning modern audiences and Mr. Bean (or at the very least that anyone realized it was him in the original).

Everyone knows Mr. Bean

Let's settle this with a worldwide poll of people who can name something Rowan Atkinson has done in the last 15 years besides the London Olympic opening ceremony and making funny faces at F1.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Let's settle this with a worldwide poll of people who can name something Rowan Atkinson has done in the last 15 years besides the London Olympic opening ceremony and making funny faces at F1.

And let's see if we can find people who know something John Oliver has done other than fake yell at fake people and drop unnecessary f-bombs to try and get the audience to laugh after his joke bombs.

caliph95

Fitting for for bird faced bastard asss kisser

Doing a shit joke similar to the Oliver's ones about himself not insulting him

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
John Oliver is great, but not an actor. Ronan Atkinson was a tier above in the role. Pity they are going down the shitty celebrity voice route for some of the this film's roles. The original cast were exceptional.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's funny that the voice actor they kept is the one whose voice has aged horribly.

Top Bottom