• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chiwetel Ejiofor in talks to play Scar for "The Lion King."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
John Oliver still a garbage choice for Zazu when Rowan Atkinson is available.

Sanjuro

It's like when Janice from accounting is available, but she won't do Raymond's workload.

I know Raymond isn't in Janice. FOR FUCKSAKE, JANICE, I just need a invoice. Can you do that for me Janice? Can you print me an invoice, Janice? For the love of god!

Not a bad choice, I suspect Scar will be more sympathetic in this version. Great cast as usual BTW.

I imagine he wasn't interested, though knowing Disney they probably didn't even consider his name, would which be pretty shameful though not surprising on their part.

Per The Wrap.

EDIT: So that makes:
Donald Glover as Simba
James Earl Jones as Mufasa
Billy Eichner as Timon
Seth Rogen as Pumbaa
John Oliver as Zazu

possibly with:
Beyonce as Nala
Chiwetel as Scar

What other major roles are there to cast?

Every time I'm reminded that Eichner is in this I just lose it. He's going to be in a $2 billion film. It's great.

Sanjuro

How does this work. Are they actually wearing lion costumes and shit?

Exclusive scene with Simba.

eyPaosU.gif

It's crazy how they showed (all be it early) a trailer for this at comic con, but haven't finished casting.
I always thought Disney took into account how expressive the actors were when transferring it to animation, but this movie feels like the actors are basically gonna be lip syncing what the animators spit out like an Anime.

I'm still not sure why people are expecting old VAs to reprise their roles when it's clwar that they wanna distance themselves as much as possible from the original in this regard.

The only reason JEJ is in this is because he probably walked into the recording studio and they were too afraid to tell him no.

Disney exec: "I am sorry Mr. Jones, your contract only included voice work for Rogue One. Lion King wasn't included in that deal."
JEJ: "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Sanjuro

I'm still not sure why people are expecting old VAs to reprise their roles when it's clwar that they wanna distance themselves as much as possible from the original in this regard.

The only reason JEJ is in this is because he probably walked into the recording studio and they were too afraid to tell him no.

Disney exec: "I am sorry Mr. Jones, your contract only included voice work for Rogue One. Lion King wasn't included in that deal."
JEJ: "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

The cynic in me thinks they are betting on death money.

Anth0ny

Honestly, I love Chiwetel but I can't say I ever heard his voice and thought "He has a great voice!" Anyone have a clip or something to convince me?

Not sure how I feel about him playing Scar. It's going to be hard to follow Irons.

I wonder who will play the Hyenas.

There was a rumor going around that New Day from WWE were talking to Disney about it but that was probably a troll.

This is going to be good for the same reason the jungle book was good. Being a big huge real life epic version of the story come to life not for being the most faithful

No one. I wish this project didn't exist. I'm one of those people that can't be satisfied.

well when the precedents so far are Cinderella, Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast then yeah odds are this won't be that great

but its also practically guaranteed to make at least 1.5 billion in the box office. such easy money this one.

Why did I think James Earl Jones was dead?

i haven't seen any of new live action Disney movies and haven't had much interest but I do have a real nostalgic/soft spot for The Lion King so I may have to check this out...cast looks great.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Oh. I think that's great casting if they get him.

The cast in general sounds great. The Jungle Book isn't one of my favorite movies, but I loved the live action one. The Lion King is one of my favorite Disney animated films, so I hope this adaptation is good. Beauty and the Beast is another one of my favorite Disney films, but I couldn't bring myself to watch the live action one. Maybe one day.

Ninjimbo

well when the precedents so far are Cinderella, Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast then yeah odds are this won't be that great

but its also practically guaranteed to make at least 1.5 billion in the box office. such easy money this one.
Yeah, it's going to make a killing. Personally, I find all of these live adaptations to be sort of useless since their retreads of superior pieces of work. I can't even imagine what LK is going to look like.

If Hollywood worked based on feelings, you wouldn't have MoS or BvS..

No one is forcing you to watch it.

Or to comment on something you aren't interested in, for that matter.
What is this? I don't even..

Ivan 3414

There was a rumor going around that New Day from WWE were talking to Disney about it but that was probably a troll.

Eric Andre, Hannibal Buress, and Chris Evans.

Desus & Mero, and Charlamagne tha God as the Hyenas

Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan, Dave Chappelle

You get James Earl Jones to reprise his role as Mufasa

BUT

All three hyenas are voiced by Kevin Hart

...You guys do realize that one of the hyenas is female, right?

The leader was voiced by Whoopi Goldberg...and no she wasn't voicing a male character

...You guys do realize that one of the hyenas is female, right?

The leader was voiced by Whoopi Goldberg...and no she wasn't voicing a male character

Sure, but they could make changes. Like i said, I wouldn't be surprised if they made Rafiki female like they did in the Broadway musical.

Top Bottom