• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chiwetel Ejiofor in talks to play Scar for "The Lion King."

The Argus

I dig all of this cast but Glover. Love the dude, but I just see him being too goofy. Will this be a musical like Beauty and the Beast or play it straight like Jungle Book?

Zoe

Honestly, I love Chiwetel but I can't say I ever heard his voice and thought "He has a great voice!" Anyone have a clip or something to convince me?

Not sure how I feel about him playing Scar. It's going to be hard to follow Irons.

Same here. That Kinky Boots video posted earlier didn't sway me either.

What is this? I don't even..

It's me saying you don't like the old Reeves Superman movies. Am I lying? Aren't those your word? Some folks only like them old movies..you don't. Studios don't run on individuals feelings. They run on money. Thanks to that, you have your MoS and BvS. Clear enough, or are you still confused? 😕

BadAss2961

The lion king isn't terrible though
I agree... Money aside, a Lion King remake is about as necessary as another Scarface remake though. Actually even less so since Lion King is a timeless story featuring animals. The live-action/CGI hybrid just seems like a poor excuse to cash in and do it all over again.

The cast is meh... lol at Glover, Rogan, and Beyonce. Just throw some popular names in there to milk it for all it's worth.

Only way this would be interesting is if it were a small project out of Disney's hands. Like if someone took The Lion King and just turned the tone upside down into a brutal revenge flick of a musical. Just something different than a pure imitation.

ZeroFate

I've been laughing at this comment for the last minute and a half. Thank you for this LOL.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for GAF to grasp the concept of this movie. I guess Disney calling this Live Action isn't helping any, but I figured most people with an ounce of reasoning wouldn't possibly think all of these high profile celebs would don an actual animal costume...

Oh nice. That's a very good choice.

I think he's more fitting than Jackman (that rumour was weak), especially with his singing voice. Jackman is great but he sometimes sounds like a goat.
Taking BadAss seriously is like taking Supbar Spatula seriously

A fruitless effort, even on a mesaage board
Pretty much.

giphy.gif

BadAss is good for a laugh tho. That other character......

BadAss2961

Well you're real young if I remember right, but many of us were already there when The Lion King happened. Been there, done that, and there's really nothing about this (other than marketing) that makes it more interesting than most other crappy modern remakes.

Just saying, the only new Lion King that would interest me at all would be a completely different take.

LionPride

Banned
Well you're real young if I remember right, but many of us were already there when The Lion King happened. Been there, done that, and there's really nothing about this (other than marketing) that makes it more interesting than most other crappy modern remakes.

Just saying, the only new Lion King that would interest me at all would be a completely different take.
Good for you

Live action remakes of Disney movies, done by Disney, are makin them bank and people enjoy them

They will continue until they fail

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I probably wasnt going to watch this but Chiwetel Ejiofo has been in some amazing shit so I guess I gotta

Nev

Banned
Beyonce as Nala? What the fuck.

It sucks that the Beauty and the Not-really-a-Beast made so much money, we're going to have these horrible soulless CGI abominations of every single good 2D Disney movie.

I mean Jungle Book was the only good one because it was basically a different movie and the original could use a remake, but what's the fucking point if you're doing 1:1 remakes?

Bye.

Beyonce as Nala? What the fuck.

It sucks that the Beauty and the Not-really-a-Beast made so much money, we're going to have these horrible soulless CGI abominations of every single good 2D Disney movie.

I mean Jungle Book was the only good one because it was basically a different movie and the original could use a remake, but what's the fucking point if you're doing 1:1 remakes?

Bye.

This is by the same director as Jungle Book, Jon Favreau.

ReiGun

There was a rumor going around that New Day from WWE were talking to Disney about it but that was probably a troll.
I think that was just them very genuinely saying they wanted to do it. They just mentioned it on Raw one night. I don't think anyone ever said anything about them actually being in talks with Disney.

I hope they get it, though. New Day are great and deserve more mainstream exposure.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think that was just them very genuinely saying they wanted to do it. They just mentioned it on Raw one night. I don't think anyone ever said anything about them actually being in talks with Disney.

I hope they get it, though. New Day are great and deserve more mainstream exposure.

Yes.

Just for their Wrestlemania entrance being as the three hyenas.

brian577

Banned
I don't get it. They go through the trouble of getting James Earl Jones back but no one else? Either go all in with a new cast or get the originals where ever possible. Why this one exception?

Enzom21

I don't get it. They go through the trouble of getting James Earl Jones back but no one else? Either go all in with a new cast or get the originals where ever possible. Why this one exception?
Because it’s James Earl Jones. Probably too iconic to replace.
Based on the casting, they probably didn’t bring Irons back because the lion roles are probably going to be all black actors.

They recently previewed some footage at the last D23. It gives you a good impression on what they are aiming for:

Link.

Also, whilst I loved James Earl Jones in the original, I think I would have preferred someone new taking the role. It just seems odd to bring one person back from the original. Hell, they could have had Liam Neeson reprising his Aslan role lol.

Edit: Better impressions.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Because it’s James Earl Jones. Probably too iconic to replace.
Based on the casting, they probably didn’t bring Irons back because the lion roles are probably going to be all black actors.

I love the Lion King, but Earl as the father and Broderick as the son was always weird ass shit.

I agree... Money aside, a Lion King remake is about as necessary as another Scarface remake though. Actually even less so since Lion King is a timeless story featuring animals. The live-action/CGI hybrid just seems like a poor excuse to cash in and do it all over again.

The cast is meh... lol at Glover, Rogan, and Beyonce. Just throw some popular names in there to milk it for all it's worth.

Only way this would be interesting is if it were a small project out of Disney's hands. Like if someone took The Lion King and just turned the tone upside down into a brutal revenge flick of a musical. Just something different than a pure imitation.

You're spot on with this one. I don't often agree with you and think you take some of your dc Stannery a bit too far haha but don't mind these ppl who just laugh all your opinions away. So damn reductive.

Beauty and the Beast took an excellent cartoon and made the pacing feel like 4 fucking hours, removes the charm from all of the songs, terrible performances outside of Gaston too. Either put an interesting spin on the story or try to improve on the cartoon in some way.

Pointless remakes tbh. Outside of the incredible amount of money they make.

Zoe

^ his role on Veronica Mars was so random.

THIS. That's why I always disliked Broderick's voice as Simba. Although I didn't mind his singing until the Lion King 2. My god did his singing voice stick out.

Matthew Broderick didn't do the singing.

Which is weird considering he does have experience in musicals.

^ his role on Veronica Mars was so random.

Matthew Broderick didn't do the singing.

Which is weird considering he does have experience in musicals.

Ok, I looked it up and you're right. So I guess I had no issue with Joseph Williams singing in The Lion King, but Cam Clarke's voice was god awful in The Lion King 2.

Matthew Broderick's voice did not fit as Simba's adult voice and stood out.

Tawpgun

Per The Wrap.

EDIT: So that makes:
Donald Glover as Simba
James Earl Jones as Mufasa
Billy Eichner as Timon
Seth Rogen as Pumbaa
John Oliver as Zazu

possibly with:
Beyonce as Nala
Chiwetel as Scar

What other major roles are there to cast?

lol I hope Billy acts like Billy. Timon as a sassy gay muskrat or whatever would be amazing.

I don't know about this. I think I would've preferred the Hugh Jackman rumor.

The fuck?

I don't know about TLK2 but somebody else was doing the actual singing in the first one.

In absence of the GOAT sinister voice in Jeremy Irons i think hugh jackman or Andy Serkis would have been cool.

Chiwetel is a good actor but a really underwhelming choice for Scar. At least it wasn't cumebrbatch or hiddleston tho

Top Bottom