• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Oliver to Voice Zazu in Live-Action 'Lion King'

ZeoVGM

Banned
Billy Eichner? I absolutely loathed him in Parks and Rec, is there something else I should watch in order to gain some faith in that choice for Timon?

Nope. If you didn't like him in Parks & Rec, where he was hilarious, you likely won't find anything else you enjoy him in. :p

Linkura

Disney doesn't hire the best actors but still pulls down a bil for BatB and break records with JB. I trust the process at this point.

Making money =/= An actually good film necessarily. I'm sure you know that though. This will still make bank so Disney don't give a fuck.

Aurongel

I'd prefer fresh faces all around especially considering how JEJ sounds lately.

John Oliver is solid casting though, dude has a voice like an animated character.

Holy shit I don't think I've ever actually heard Mr Bean talk except for that goofy voice he used in Rat Race, so I had *NO* idea that he was the voice of Zazu. I never would have guessed that with all the time in the world.

I never understand the idea that these remakes should use the same voices. The original movie already exists. It's OK for this be different, in fact that's what makes it interesting at all.

Well, in this particular case, there's three things for using the same cast:

1) The movie will not actually be live action but animated, which means there's little reason to actually recast since it's not like they now have to get someone to BE Simba like they would have to get someone to BE Jafar. When you are actually making a cartoon into live action, your hands are tied with getting someone who looks the part VS getting the person who did the voice. Like, I don't think Gaston's voice looked anything like Gaston so obviously they would need to recast him for a live action adaptation. You don't have that issue with this movie.

2) I may be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure the entire voice cast of The Lion King is still alive so they *could* do it without needing to recast any role, if they wanted to.

3) The big one, they're using James Earl Jones, the original voice of Mufasa, as the new voice of Mufasa. So like they set the precedent by using an original actor from the original movie, and then went hard left with every other announcement after that. If they're going to recast everyone else they should also have recast Mufasa. It's going to be fuckin weird, for me at least, to have all these characters I've "known" for the past 20-something years have new voices except for Mufasa.

jett

D-Member
Not sure why John Oliver gets this part. He's not an actor. Is this his attempt at breaking into movies? :p

Scar has to be Idris Elba. His voice fits perfectly.

I disagree. Jeremy Irons is perfect as Scar.

Idris Elba was a complete bore as Shere Khan in The Jungle Book. I would even say kinda crappy.

It's gonna be Loki or Sherlock. Disney keeping it in house.

You know, I can see Cucumber getting it.

Not

Banned
Great choice

Not sure why John Oliver gets this part. He's not an actor. Is this his attempt at breaking into movies? :p

I dunno, he really sells this line

tumblr_mb77uknIN91r5kojao1_500.gif

Aurongel

I disagree. Jeremy Irons is perfect as Scar.

Idris Elba was a complete bore as Shere Khan in The Jungle Book. I would even say kinda crappy.

You know, I can see Cucumber getting it.
He's done VO work before, not a tremendous leap for him.

Theodran

I read the headline as "Jamie Oliver" and was baffled that they got a celebrity chef to voice Zazu. Then I read it again and it made sense.

I don't have anything against re-casting the voice actors for the film in particular. It's not a remake, it's an adaptation. Although keeping James Earl Jones does seem kind of odd.

Herne

Maybe they are filming real lions, and putting a dub on it. Maybe you could film them yawn and edit it, to make it look they are speaking.

Oh awesome, so we get something like Cats & Dogs with disinterested looking animals that all the CG in the world won't be able to hide or make them seem otherwise.

Maybe they are filming real lions, and putting a dub on it. Maybe you could film them yawn and edit it, to make it look they are speaking.
Oh awesome, so we get something like Cats & Dogs with disinterested looking animals that all the CG in the world won't be able to hide or make them seem otherwise.

It'll be exactly like Jungle Book without Mowgli, so 100% photo-real CGI. Same team even.

TrutaS

They gotta use those assets from the Jungle Book so this makes sense. Don't know why they would call it live-action if it doesn't have a single human and it's all CGI animals.

It's just as live-action as a Pixar movie, unless they film the background, in which case it's at best half live-action.

Anyway, John Oliver is fun...

Strax

I think you'd be disappointed if you took a poll concerning modern audiences and Mr. Bean (or at the very least that anyone realized it was him in the original).

Let's settle this with a worldwide poll of people who can name something Rowan Atkinson has done in the last 15 years besides the London Olympic opening ceremony and making funny faces at F1.

Having worked in 3 different kindergartens, not in the UK, in the last 7 years my experience is that 5-6 year olds are watching Mr. Bean and a looooot of it.

To all people that say it will be CGI. Then what makes it live action and not an animated film?

That's the whole point. It's stupid to call it a live action remake when it's all gonna be CGI. It's gonna be Jungle Book but without the single human actor. I mean at most I imagine they'd pull a Dinosaur with it and shoot real background with CG animals but that's so much extra work when they can just do the whole thing CG. It's really stupid that they're calling it a live action version but it'd likely going to look photo real so that's why.

AndyVirus

They already used Idris Elba for Shere Khan in The Jungle Book remake, I doubt they'd have him play another big CG cat antagonist.

The Idris Elba big cat cinematic universe. Make him Rajah in Aladdin, Thomas O'Malley in Aristocats (and should've been the Mayor in Zootopia instead).

I mean, it's what he is best known for.

Outside of the UK perhaps. But he's equally fondly remembered as Blackadder here.
Let's settle this with a worldwide poll of people who can name something Rowan Atkinson has done in the last 15 years besides the London Olympic opening ceremony and making funny faces at F1.
Well, he's the star of Maigret and that's been shown all over Europe.

But regardless, Rowan Atkinson/Mr Bean is far better known worldwide than John Oliver, who is only famous in the US. Even here in the UK (and I note this as he is British) his show is relegated to a late night slot on a subscription only channel, and has very few viewers. That said, nobody knew who he was in the UK before he became famous in the US. I think he'd appeared on a couple of episodes of Mock the Week and that's it.

"realistically animated"

could've just used the old audio tracks of rowan atkinson. hell, they could use the entire original movie's audio.

To all people that say it will be CGI. Then what makes it live action and not an animated film?

That's the whole point. It's stupid to call it a live action remake when it's all gonna be CGI. It's gonna be Jungle Book but without the single human actor. I mean at most I imagine they'd pull a Dinosaur with it and shoot real background with CG animals but that's so much extra work when they can just do the whole thing CG. It's really stupid that they're calling it a live action version but it'd likely going to look photo real so that's why.
It's not live action and Disney has never referred to it as such. Official material simply labels it as a "reimagining".

Blasphemy. James Earl Jones has one of the greatest voices ever.

I wasn't disputing James Earl Jones majestic voice as one of the greats. I was agreeing if they're doing a different take like they're doing with this version and casting different voice actors, then why would they keep only one of the original voice actors. Might as well cast somebody different in that role too, and completely separate anything connecting to the original animated classic that they know everybody is going to compare it too anyway.

I wasn't disputing James Earl Jones majestic voice as one of the greats. I was agreeing if they're doing a different take like they're doing with this version and casting different voice actors, then why would they keep only one of the original voice actors. Might as well cast somebody different in that role too, and completely separate anything connecting to the original animated classic that they know everybody is going to compare it too anyway.

Because Mufasa's voice is easily the most iconic of any of the original cast.

"REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE..."

Top Bottom