• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chiwetel Ejiofor in talks to play Scar for "The Lion King."

I don't know about this. I think I would've preferred the Hugh Jackman rumor.

In absence of the GOAT sinister voice in Jeremy Irons i think hugh jackman or Andy Serkis would have been cool.

Chiwetel is a good actor but a really underwhelming choice for Scar. At least it wasn't cumebrbatch or hiddleston tho

giphy.gif

jett

D-Member
You're spot on with this one. I don't often agree with you and think you take some of your dc Stannery a bit too far haha but don't mind these ppl who just laugh all your opinions away. So damn reductive.

Beauty and the Beast took an excellent cartoon and made the pacing feel like 4 fucking hours, removes the charm from all of the songs, terrible performances outside of Gaston too. Either put an interesting spin on the story or try to improve on the cartoon in some way.

Pointless remakes tbh. Outside of the incredible amount of money they make.

The BatB remake was pure mediocrity, there was zero ambition behind that movie. It's a shameless, soulless ripoff with trash additions. It's biggest sin is turning the GOAT Disney character design of The Beast into some ragged, grey-looking sewer rat. The Jungle Book at least did its own thing, but I maintain that it's helped by the fact that the original animated movie isn't all that great.

In absence of the GOAT sinister voice in Jeremy Irons i think hugh jackman or Andy Serkis would have been cool.

Chiwetel is a good actor but a really underwhelming choice for Scar. At least it wasn't cumebrbatch or hiddleston tho

I guess that's something to be thankful for, for now anyway.

Aww, I was still hoping for Irons. I'll begrudgingly accept this casting. Not a knock against the actor or anything (definitely great casting), but I mean they got Jones back, I want my Irons Scar.

If the film is done anywhere close to the same manner, it really won't matter that he is. The range given to just about every actor in that film was absolutely depressing.

I don't disagree. I thought that movie was pretty average.

But this is not being made by the team that made Beauty and the Beast. It's largely being made by the folks who made The Jungle Book, which is far-and-away the best of Disney's live-action adaptations so far.

Sanjuro

I don't disagree. I thought that movie was pretty average.

But this not being made by the team that made Beauty and the Beast. It's largely being made by the folks who made The Jungle Book, which is far-and-away the best of Disney's live-action adaptations so far.

Beauty and the Beast was one of the rare films that made me feel just depressed watching it. The new Transformers couldn't even accomplish that!

I heard most people comparing the two, though it may have been as simple as, "Look, two live-action cartoons." Couldn't get anyone interested in seeing Jungle Book in cinemas, so it kind of slipped from my mind. I should check it out!

It's ok. A lot of famous voice actors in jungle book but it felt a bit phoned in tbh

And the kid was pretty bad. But yeah definitely a step above beauty and the beast. Much easier to get through. Neither worth watching again tho

And Pete's Dragon was the best Disney cartoon remake.

I think Disney even forgot that they put that one out to be fair haha

They're bringing the director back for Peter Pan though. I think he'll do a good job

jett

D-Member
I think Disney even forgot that they put that one out to be fair haha

They're bringing the director back for Peter Pan though. I think he'll do a good job

They've already announced Peter Pan too?

Soon enough they will be remaking their remakes.

Reminding folks of the visual and vocal charisma of Irons version, is not the way.

The fact I can hear the voice from that gif says something. I'm somewhat optimist because chiewetel can't do a Jeremy iron voice so will have at least a different interpretation. The right answer would be to bring irons back.

The fact I can hear the voice from that gif says something. I'm somewhat optimist because chiewetel can't do a Jeremy iron voice so will have at least a different interpretation. The right answer would be to bring irons back.

Nah. Irons has already give the performance once, and he did it perfectly. I'm not sure what else he could mine out of the character in a repeat performance. Best case scenario, it'd be samey. Worst case, it'd be a shadow of his original performance and no one wants that.

I'd honestly have been fine with a new Mufasa too. But, I think getting the same iconic voice works in that particular instance a bit better, as Mufasa's purpose in the story is less as a character driving the narrative but more as an icon for Simba to aspire to.

Nah. Irons has already give the performance once, and he did it perfectly. I'm not sure what else he could mine out of the character in a repeat performance. Best case scenario, it'd be samey. Worst case, it'd be a shadow of his original performance and no one wants that.

I'd honestly have been fine with a new Mufasa too. But, I think getting the same iconic voice works in that particular instance a bit better, as Mufasa's purpose in the story is less as a character driving the narrative but more as an icon for Simba to aspire to.

I think they should've chose a different voice for Mufasa, if they were going to change everybody else's. Now James Earl Jones performance will be compared to his older performance, and it's just going to be difficult to compare to perfection. At least with a different voice actor, among all the other different voice actors it'll simply be a different take.

a916

I agree... Money aside, a Lion King remake is about as necessary as another Scarface remake though. Actually even less so since Lion King is a timeless story featuring animals. The live-action/CGI hybrid just seems like a poor excuse to cash in and do it all over again.

The cast is meh... lol at Glover, Rogan, and Beyonce. Just throw some popular names in there to milk it for all it's worth.

Only way this would be interesting is if it were a small project out of Disney's hands. Like if someone took The Lion King and just turned the tone upside down into a brutal revenge flick of a musical. Just something different than a pure imitation.

I mean, both of them bring awareness to the previous films. So I wouldn't say they are all but unnecessary.

Im so fucking sad that they got James Earl Jones for Scar, and Constantino Romero, that was his spanish voice (with vader and mufasa), is dead.

I still hope they get Jeremy Irons spanish voice actor for scar, because the voice of this guy in spanish is competely meh and doesnt work for scar. But then the Jungle book tried to go for the voice actors of the american actors (and foer the befurniture in the beauty and the beast remake) the animals did, so thats not a good sign for this movie.
The original animted movie in spanish was amazing apart from kid simba.

I agree... Money aside, a Lion King remake is about as necessary as another Scarface remake though. Actually even less so since Lion King is a timeless story featuring animals. The live-action/CGI hybrid just seems like a poor excuse to cash in and do it all over again.

The cast is meh... lol at Glover, Rogan, and Beyonce. Just throw some popular names in there to milk it for all it's worth.

Only way this would be interesting is if it were a small project out of Disney's hands. Like if someone took The Lion King and just turned the tone upside down into a brutal revenge flick of a musical. Just something different than a pure imitation.

You can keep Simba v Scar: Dawn of Justice.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
He was such a great antagonist in Serenity. I really hope he turns into a villain in the MCU as well, that was certainly the vibe I got from Dr. Strange anyway. I have never read a comic so this may have been obvious to fans already.

He was such a great antagonist in Serenity. I really hope he turns into a villain in the MCU as well, that was certainly the vibe I got from Dr. Strange anyway. I have never read a comic so this may have been obvious to fans already.

Did you miss the post-credit scene?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Did you miss the post-credit scene?

No, that's what I was referring to. Perhaps 'vibe' was the wrong word, but does that scene alone suggest he's becoming a villain? He doesn't kill anyone, just thinks there are too many magic users. Honest question, I genuinely don't know.

No, that's what I was referring to. Perhaps 'vibe' was the wrong word, but does that scene alone suggest he's becoming a villain? He doesn't kill anyone, just thinks there are too many magic users. Honest question, I genuinely don't know.

I mean, he literally takes a man's ability to walk away lol.

They made some changes to him to make him a more nuanced character from his comic origins but he is (almost?) exclusively depicted as a villain. Not sure which direction they will go with him in the MCU but it's pretty clear that he's going to be an antagonist to Doctor Strange.

Did I stutter?

No, but your sentence doesn't make sense. How about you quote specific posts so we at least get an idea of what you're talking about.

I don't see anybody trying to take a claim to a court of law for the original casting of Lion King because Irons and Broderick weren't black. LOL

I disagree with this film being unnecessary. Some of the scenes will look absolutely gorgeous in CG if done right.

I hope they go for a slightly stylized look. Go crazy on colors. Make those sunrises and starry nights POP.

jett

D-Member
I disagree with this film being unnecessary. Some of the scenes will look absolutely gorgeous in CG if done right.

I hope they go for a slightly stylized look. Go crazy on colors. Make those sunrises and starry nights POP.

They're definitely going for the same realistic look of The Jungle Book. Hopefully they do stylize it a tad.

I wanna see how they attempt to recreate the Circle of Life opening, because that shit is flawless, just perfect.

People in here really going to fucking litigate the original casting of Broderick and Irons because they're not black?
I didn't like Broderick's white bread accent when I rewatched the Lion King as an adult. His parents are Joffe and Aoléon Jofa James Earl Jones and Madge Sinclair, for crying out loud. Nala's child actress being black is also jarring against her grown up voice actress.

I honestly think the role where he's got the most Scar like voice is probably Love Actually. "Well, give them a quid and tell them to bugger off!"

I didn't like Broderick's white bread accent when I rewatched the Lion King as an adult. His parents are Joffe and Aoléon Jofa James Earl Jones and Madge Sinclair, for crying out loud. Nala's child actress being black is also jarring against her grown up voice actress.

The singing voice of young Simba was, too. Speaking of which, I wonder if Donald Glover is doing both adult Simba and young Simba, or if there will there be specific casting for that latter role (same applies to Nala).

The singing voice of young Simba was, too. Speaking of which, I wonder if Donald Glover is doing both adult Simba and young Simba, or if there will there be specific casting for that latter role (same applies to Nala).
Maybe they'll do some weird voice alteration thing. I vaguely recall a TV show doing that some years back.

Linkin112

Seems like a good choice imo. Still mad Desus & Mero aren't big enough to have been Timon and Pumbaa. They would've been PERFECT for them.

Donald is only voicing adult Simba. JD McCrary, who has a guest appearance on "Terrified" off Glover's last album, is voicing young Simba.

Top Bottom