• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for the Lion King remake just went up

Vlaphor

While this one does look cool, I'm curious as to why James Earl Jones is reprising his role as Mufasa. I mean, it's possible that he's the best person for the job, but I thought the idea behind remakes is to try something new. Jeremy Irons did an amazing performance as Scar, but he aint back.

Also, I'd chastise the trailer for almost giving away the entire movie, but this is a remake, so I'll let it slide.

Edit: Looked into this film a bit more. Looks like Hans Zimmer and Elton John are doing the soundtrack again, this time with help from Beyonce (who voices adult Nala). Also, John Oliver is Zazu...this is good.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

There's no 'Be Prepared' in this film from what I understand. My interest hit zero after hearing that news.

Would you enjoy hearing that with this particular Scar though?
The issue I'm seeing here right off the bat is they're putting in famous celebrities just because they're famous and not because they have the best voice for the role.

Photorealistic Disney just looks dull. The expressions are so subtle now, lost that theatrical flare that made performances worth watching.

He does indeed!
State of his "run away simba... and never return"

Now THAT'S how you deliver that line

What kills me is the new version even ruins the tone of the scene.

Original:
Scar pretends to act like he cares, his voice full of concern, a liar and manipulator. The bemused look on his face reads as concern to Simba but the audience it's full of gleeful malice.

New:
In this new one the mean bad guy growls at the good guy to run away.

Jungle Book looked great IMO.

It's cool if people love the new look, I'm clearly no longer the audience they want. Just lamenting a bygone age I suppose.

I can see how the photo realistic Kaa is technically a superior image, but the hand drawn one caries more personality in my opinion.
upnUZZ2.png

nkarafo

Original, hand drawn version, had expressive characters. They were fun to watch and had a lot of personality.

This one is just another visual demo of how realistic CGI can look, or something.

Joe T.

This second trailer did more to raise my concerns than to pacify them, much of it still avoids character interactions and facial expressions. The end of the trailer started building up my expectations to see a more animated scene as Timon and Pumbaa started singing awimbawe, but even there they kept them mostly out of frame until the last second.

As already pointed out, I think that one Scar scene was a major downgrade. I can definitely appreciate the quality of the visuals, but if this is just going to wind up being a realistic take on a classic it's going to strip much of the movie's appeal.

PrCat88

Not trying to be a hater, but I just don't see the point. These films can't seem to capture the magic of the colorful animation and performances. The animation of the original was so vibrant and every character stands out. Scar in particular just doesn't come off the scene in the way Jeremy Irons could portray it. The design, the presence. It was perfect. Not feeling it with this.

manfestival

I saw it this morning and posted on a friends timeline that something seemed off to me. I got some good vibes from it but I think that struck me the most was at the end with Timon and Pumba. That was a goofy scene with that was upbeat and happy but I didn't get that didn't transfer over at all from the image the video portrayed.

Some things just don't need to strive for photo realism.

Also this most likely won't have Rafiki doing the Bruce Lee thing, which would already make it inferior.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Enjoyed the animated film on release, I have no desire to ever see it again. Maybe for 90s animation quirks but certainly not this... product.

I’m more curious about checking out the anime Disney ripped off, Kimba. They’ll get no more money from me

What kills me is the new version even ruins the tone of the scene.

Original:
Scar pretends to act like he cares, his voice full of concern, a liar and manipulator. The bemused look on his face reads as concern to Simba but the audience it's full of gleeful malice.

New:
In this new one the mean bad guy growls at the good guy to run away.
The goal in the CGI movie seems to lean more on representing the animals in as realistic fashion as possible while still allowing human speech.

I can see how it would look pretty awkward for a life-like lion to exaggerate facial expressions to the degree of the cartoon. It would ruin the whole point of making it look realistic.

That's the thing. That's the sacrifice. The visuals look stunningly beautiful. But I think if you wanna mix human speech with animals to tell a children's story then the original Lion King is vastly superior.

I'd love to see an experiment once the movie is available for home purchase.

You take 2 TVs with both playing either versions and see which one kids gravitate towards.

octiny

Banned
Absolute total fail on Scars voice. Hype meter just went down to nearly zero.

Last edited:

O-N-E

A big reason why cartoon animals work is because of the way you can exaggerate their human aspect. Like plaster a big mean smile on Scar's face. That would still be possible with CGI if Disney used it as an art rather than a technical feat.

Part of what made the original special is how much they were willing to upset children by having Simba be gleefully abused by Scar and have Simba overcome that abuse. It's an intense experience for a kid. With the human element severely dampened, the impact is not as strong. Seems counterintuitive that you'd get more realistic emotions out of unrealistic art, but Disney of all companies should know that by now.

iconmaster

Banned
Also, I'd chastise the trailer for almost giving away the entire movie, but this is a remake, so I'll let it slide.

Yeah, I watched the trailer and feel like I literally watched Lion King.

Absolute total fail on Scars voice. Hype meter just went down to nearly zero.

What's with these Disney remakes falling down on translating the villains?

Last edited:
I have to agree with what other have already said. The characters lack facial expression and emotion. It makes sense, they're using realistic computer-generated animals, and those don't show any emotion. Or, at least, humans can't tell what wild animals are thinking or feeling. That just doesn't mix with a human story like that of the Lion King. In the trailer they show Simba and the female lion (sorry, forgot her name) looking at each other at the lake, and it's just two wild animals looking up and at each other. In the animated version they could show that there was a connection, a spark there. This new film seems to be incapable of that.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I have to agree with what other have already said. The characters lack facial expression and emotion. It makes sense, they're using realistic computer-generated animals, and those don't show any emotion. Or, at least, humans can't tell what wild animals are thinking or feeling. That just doesn't mix with a human story like that of the Lion King. In the trailer they show Simba and the female lion (sorry, forgot her name) looking at each other at the lake, and it's just two wild animals looking up and at each other. In the animated version they could show that there was a connection, a spark there. This new film seems to be incapable of that.

This is third time Disney ruined the classic villain ( Gaston, Jafar and now Scar) now im afraid to see Gov Radclife in Pocahontas movie

JLMC469

Banned
Captain Marvel crossed the billion dollar mark.
End Game will most likely cross 2 billion.
Star Wars, Lion King, Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 will cross it easily.
Aladdin and Spider-Man...maybe?

...and they (Disney) continue to increase the prices in their parks :messenger_dizzy::messenger_hushed:.

Last edited:
Captain Marvel crossed the billion dollar mark.
End Game will most likely cross 2 billion.
Star Wars, Lion King, Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 will cross it easily.
Aladdin and Spider-Man...maybe?

...and they (Disney) continue to increase the prices in their parks :messenger_dizzy::messenger_hushed:.

How much did Homecoming make?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Say what you want, shit or good...

But if you didn’t let out a little smile as Simba aged in front of the moon, then you got issues, son...

Plus, fuck yo’ thoughts. This shits about to make BANK.

Codes 208

So between this, Aladdin, end game, Godzilla 2 and detective pikachu there’s a lot of movies (and maybe Star Wars ep.9) I’m looking forward to quite a few movies this year.

Say what you want, shit or good...

But if you didn’t let out a little smile as Simba aged in front of the moon, then you got issues, son...

Plus, fuck yo’ thoughts. This shits about to make BANK.
Timon and Pumba is what hit me in the feels.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Looks decent.

But I wish Disney would remake some of their less successful movies instead of ones that were already good. They could take a mediocre film and turn it into a great film. I'd like to see a remake of the Black Cauldron.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom