• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Role of Nala in "Live-Action" (LOL) Lion King is Beyonce's if she wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

What an awful idea. It's clear she should be Rafiki. Imagine her singing Circle of Life and He Lives in You. It'd be incredible.

Yeah. Everyone's calling it a "live-action" remake but since all the characters are talking animals, and there are no humans in it (unless they're adding some and we don't know about it) the phrase "live-action" is a misnomer, because it's just going to be a highly photorealistic computer animated movie.

Which means the term "live-action" is more or less meaningless now.

Hence the quotes and the LOL in my title.

Semantics did get you your tag.

And we shall call him... the LORE EXPERT

post-22523-Lion-King-Rafiki-throws-Simba-FdzH.gif

Skip the big name celebrities. Give someone else a shot. (and if there's still gonna be a lot of singing involved, I'm thinking Cynthia Erivo)

As much as I love Donald Glover, I have to agree that the big name celebrities are a distraction for these kind of films. Jungle Book was an adventure in "Wait, WHOSE voice is that?" that distracted me for most of the film. Not to mention several of the performances (like ScarJo's Kaa) fell pretty flat.

Yeah. Everyone's calling it a "live-action" remake but since all the characters are talking animals, and there are no humans in it (unless they're adding some and we don't know about it) the phrase "live-action" is a misnomer, because it's just going to be a highly photorealistic computer animated movie.

Which means the term "live-action" is more or less meaningless now.

Hence the quotes and the LOL in my title.

And we shall call him... the LORE EXPERT

post-22523-Lion-King-Rafiki-throws-Simba-FdzH.gif

That honestly had me so confused in this thread. Why is anyone at all referring to it as live action? Just because the CG will be photo-realistic and not in a cartoon style?

That honestly had me so confused in this thread. Why is anyone at all referring to it as live action? Just because the CG will be photo-realistic and not in a cartoon style?

That's exactly it, yeah.

After about a decade straight of most modern blockbusters containing a large amount of computer generated imagery, with a pretty large chunk of many viewers' favorite action scenes being nothing but computer generated animation in those live action movies, then progressing to these live action remakes of Disney movies, and then those live action remakes progressing to "The Jungle Book," Which is something like 75-80% computer animated yet still considered "live action," - you wind up in a place where so much of what people consider as "live action" is wholly created in a computer that "live action" becomes a synonym for "photorealistic" more than anything.

NEO0MJ

Please, no random celebrity appearances. Most of these musicians and actors can barely voice acting and barely put in any effort.

kswiston

That's exactly it, yeah.

After about a decade straight of most modern blockbusters containing a large amount of computer generated imagery, with a pretty large chunk of many viewers' favorite action scenes being nothing but computer generated animation in those live action movies, then progressing to these live action remakes of Disney movies, and then those live action remakes progressing to "The Jungle Book," Which is something like 75-80% computer animated yet still considered "live action," - you wind up in a place where so much of what people consider as "live action" is wholly created in a computer that "live action" becomes a synonym for "photorealistic" more than anything.

In the new paradigm, if they actually shoot things with cameras, it's live action.

In this case, you'll be getting live action trees and grass.

Mortemis

Banned
Brehs they can cast Beyonce's hairstyler in it and I'll still be there day one.

Beyoncé in this sounds amazing to me, can't wait.

the all black cast so far is dope. but I still really hope they bring back Jeremy Irons as Scar. GOAT Disney Villain voice. Best voice alive too tbh.

it won't feel right hearing the OG Mufasa interact with a fraud.

The Lamp

I appreciate him for Iron Man, but man Favreau continues to destroy Disney classics. Random big name celebrities were awful for Jungle Book and this looks to be more of the same.

Beyoncé has just the right tone and voice to sing the Nala parts effortlessly.

Phediuk

In the new paradigm, if they actually shoot things with cameras, it's live action.

In this case, you'll be getting live action trees and grass.

No you won't. The environments were all CG in The Jungle Book, and I'm assuming The Lion King will follow suit. The movie will be 100% CGI.

jett

D-Member
I appreciate him for Iron Man, but man Favreau continues to destroy Disney classics. Random big name celebrities were awful for Jungle Book and this looks to be more of the same.

The Jungle Book is easily Favreau's best movie, I really enjoyed it. But then again I have no love for the original. The only bit of stunt casting in TJB that bothered me was Christopher Walken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom