• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Role of Nala in "Live-Action" (LOL) Lion King is Beyonce's if she wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Live action" Lion King maybe the most pointless out of all of the Disney remakes. Literally just a bunch of CG lions if I want that I'll play Tokyo Jungle.

Edit: of course I'm assuming that they change nothing to the story/format of the movie, and even then it's unlikely to be as pleasing as the original.

Rydeen

"Live action" Lion King maybe the most pointless out of all of the Disney remakes. Literally just a bunch of CG lions if I want that I'll play Tokyo Jungle.

Is it pointless if it's going to print money for Disney? It's easily the most beloved of the second golden age of classic animated films, it's going to be huge, HUGE.

yunbuns

I love Beyonce but idk. I would rather it be given to someone younger like Lupita or even an unknown or upcoming star but that's just me. For some reason I want her as Simba's mom instead.

Is it pointless if it's going to print money for Disney? It's easily the most beloved of the second golden age of classic animated films, it's going to be huge, HUGE.

Oh it'll be huge alright if Beauty and the Beast is any indicator. Just without any actual humans in the film it just comes off as an unnecessary (from an artistic standpoint, obviously not financial) CG remaster. I just hope Favreau has some interesting ideas up his sleeve to make this worthwhile.

Beyonce for Nala would be dope. James Earl Jones coming back for Mufasa is awesome. DG for Simba is cool.

I'm fond of Jeremy Irons but it would be awesome to have, say, Lance Reddick as Scar. Timon and Pumba gotta go with the OG VA's. They work off each other too well.

The big question though, is who for Rafiki?

jett

D-Member
Beyonce for Nala would be dope. James Earl Jones coming back for Mufasa is awesome. DG for Simba is cool.

I'm fond of Jeremy Irons but it would be awesome to have, say, Lance Reddick as Scar. Timon and Pumba gotta go with the OG VA's. They work off each other too well.

The big question though, is who for Rafiki?

That would be a serious downgrade. Irons was honestly as perfect as Scar as JEJ was as Mufasa.

The Lion King is not like BatB where I don't give a single rat's ass about the original movie's voice actors.

The Lion King is really not like BatB at all.

Now I'm back to being extremely cynical about this project.

Out of all the internet nerds obsessed with semantics, you sure take the cake, Bobby.

Nah buddy

Although, to indulge you just a little bit, there's nothing wrong with semantics. Words should mean things, and knowing what you're saying when you say shit isn't all that bad a thing.

edit: Lance Reddick as scar is a great call. Damn.

this movie will always have a special place in my heart, was the first movie I ever saw. Ima watch it when it comes out on theaters just for that donald performance

That would be a serious downgrade. Irons was honestly as perfect as Scar as JEJ was as Mufasa.

The Lion King is not like BatB where I don't give a single rat's ass about the original movie's voice actors.

The Lion King is really not like BatB at all.

Now I'm back to being extremely cynical about this project.

Don't get me wrong. Irons was a great Scar. Seriously. But if we're doing a mostly fresh cast here, Reddick is a legitimately great actor with an amazing voice that would be perfect for a villain. It would also play well off of Jones' voice in being brothers.

I guess it doesn't matter much since it's voice acting but you'd think they were aiming for someone younger.

I really only need two things confirmed to have faith in this project:

1.- Jeremy Irons returning as Scar

2.- Confirmation that the Circle of Life song and sequence will not be touched or messed with on any fucking level whatsoever. Shot for shot remake or I riot.

Jeremy Irons is out.

Tay Zonday is in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1lbeYSCh7A

jett

D-Member
Don't get me wrong. Irons was a great Scar. Seriously. But if we're doing a mostly fresh cast here, Reddick is a legitimately great actor with an amazing voice that would be perfect for a villain. It would also play well off of Jones' voice in being brothers.

I think Reddick is super one-note. I don't seem him as Scar at all. I don't see Idris Elba either. What's he gonna do, a reprise of Shere Khan? I have no idea who would I see if not Irons, to be honest.

I wonder if they'll get Hans Zimmer back, if only to supervise over whatever arrangements they would like to make. I wonder if he would even be interested.

Jeremy Irons is out.

Tay Zonday is in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1lbeYSCh7A

LOL this is actually not bad at all.

Brakke

Banned
You used the wrong tense. You should have said "even if she weren't black", not "even if she isn't black".

That's why people are confused lol.

Right.

Which is still a kinda crazy thing to say tho? Because... she is black. And whatever intrinsic virtue of Beyonce that FlutterPuffs is standing for here is tied up with her blackness.

The heart is in the right place? The compliment being something like "The movie is aiming for a black cast, but even if they weren't, Beyonce would be the best choice. She's not just great among black voices but among all voices."

Jarmel

Banned
I don't know about that, Interstellar is one of his all-time best.

And it is his music.

I agree that Interstellar is probably him as his peak but I feel his style has morphed over the years to the point where I think it would be hard for him to replicate his Lion King era.

It's basically just going to be an insanely expensive CG animated movie.

Essentially.

Jarmel

Banned
The two most iconic voices in the film are Irons as Scar and Jones as Mufasa. I know they're aiming for an all black cast but I would be fine with Irons as an exception.

Nah at Reddick and Elba. Strong no.

Thewonandonly

To answer Bobby's question. I think this movie potentially does damn near 2 billion.
I really think there's a chance exspecialky if it's fucking good. This just hits every demographic and everyone and there mother is going to see it. Hell there grandmothers are going to see it.

Dali

How is it live action but the role is voice-acting? Are they gonna use real animals but make it look like babe where they all have animal telepathy or are they gonna pull a Mr ed? If it's cg then there werent any humans in the movie so it'd be all cg except for maybe the locales. I wouldn't really call that live action if every character is animated.

Edit: I guess this has been answered. It's not live action apparently, but a cg movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom