• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Judges Week" attendees are saying not to expect too much from this year's E3.

Banned
I8BE4ol.gif
Eww he's licking thin air and looks like a predator lol.

I wonder what big E3 games are getting pushed to 2015.

Quantum Break is basically confirmed
Batman AK? Probably?
Evolve?
Assassins Creed Unity?

Ya know, Not a lot of games are coming out this holiday so far.

RulkezX

Definitely not Unity, The Order, I'd say.

The latest rumour had Tje Order bang on track for it's 2014 release. It's not slipping.

OT - I'm not sure I can afford all the games I want this year anyway,

Shadows of Mordor , Batman , Fifa , CoD/BF , CiV , Dragon Age , SO , The Order etc mean my year is filled.

Next year is going to be the 8th gen's 2007

Probably. Sessler and co. were thinking the same on a recent podcast.

Call be crazy but when it comes to saying Sony stuff I wouldn't take Sesslers word on anything after the trackrecord he built the last year.

Was that the podcast when him and Gies shit on the recent PS4 indie game reveals?

Maybe it is delayed though.

I really havent followed that game. Hate that super slow "stop and pop" Gears of War style gameplay.

jett

D-Member
E3 pretty much always disappoints. I think this year I'm looking forward to Nintendo's shindig the most, for better or for worse, it will be entertaining one way or the other. :p

RulkezX

E3 pretty much always disappoints. I think this year I'm looking forward to Nintendo's shindig the most, for better or for worse, it will be entertaining one way or the other. :p

If they date X then the whole event will have been worth the hype.

erawsd

The issue isn't that the hardware is too hard, it's that you need so many people to make a game.

When you have 1000 people on Assassin's Creed and 800 on Far Cry, you just simply don't have enough people to puts out nearly as many games as you used to.

You're also incentivized to do this because having the super blockbusters is what makes all the money these days.

You don't really need that many people though. Ubisoft does because they are churning these games out annually across 5 or 6 platforms.

When we look at more focused developers, the teams tend to be far smaller. Rocksteady is 150 people, and CDProjekt Red is ~112. On platform exclusives the numbers are even smaller. Infamous, Titanfall, The Order, Quantum Break, and are all done by teams under 100 people. Naughty Dog and SSM are pretty big, but they're also working on multiple projects.

This news doesn't bother me at all. Like the OP, I never expected the reveal of any new games that would be released in 2014. Far Cry 4 being announced just last week already fulfills my desire to have one more big game added to this Fall.

The second half of 2014 already has enough games to keep me satisfied. This includes: TLOU Remastered, Destiny, Batman: Arkham Knight, The Order: 1886, Assassin's Creed: Unity, and Far Cry 4. That's a pile of really great games.

The beauty of this E3 is that so many of the above games are completely shrouded in mystery. Simply showing gameplay of those games and providing information will make E3 very enjoyable.

I think we'll get a couple of small surprises for 2014 too. For example, one of the following larger PS4 indie games might make it out this year: Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Witness.

There will also be some tantalizing glimpses into 2015. I think we'll see an entry in at least one of the following franchises revealed: Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Fallout. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Project Beast announced. On top of that, we'll see glimpses of: The Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, The Division, and more.

I'm super stoked for E3 2014!

Ceebs

Here are the 3 things you will see at E3:

More of the same
Something that looks new and different, but is in fact more of the same.
Something that looks more of the same, yet people will swear it is new and different, but turns out to be more of the same.

213372bu

Banned
Umm don't we already kinda know a lot of the suprises/stuff being shown off at E3?

If I weren't into GAF the things we're suppose to be seeing at E3 is exciting in of its own self.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You don't really need that many people though. Ubisoft does because they are churning these games out annually across 5 or 6 platforms.

When we look at more focused developers, the teams tend to be far smaller. Rocksteady is 150 people, and CDProjekt Red is ~112. On platform exclusives the numbers are even smaller. Infamous, Titanfall, The Order, Quantum Break, and are all done by teams under 100 people. Naughty Dog and SSM are pretty big, but they're also working on multiple projects.

Most publishers don't put out games like that anymore though.

Warner does definitely run leaner teams, and as such they do tend to have a broader scope of projects. They are a small division of a behemoth company that can make up any slack in other ways though.

For the first party titles, Microsoft and Sony are conceptually encouraged to make titles to help their platform stand out to smaller groups of people as they have the secondary benefit of selling the hardware that they're on to that smaller group.

For third parties, they tend to prefer profit maximization, which is usually easier achieved by selling 10+ million copies of one game than 10 games that sell 1 million each, so they would rather lump 5 dev teams worth of people on a single game than put them on five smaller projects.

Respawn and CD Projekt do stick out in the modern market. Respawn's former franchise essentially outgrew it, but due to their new relationship they're allowed to keep a smaller team (at a publisher that is largely otherwise starting to balloon) and CD Projekt has a low cost that lets them get great results even with not selling huge amounts of copies, and majority control of their company, which lessens their pressure to grow.

Similarly, ZeniMax is a private company, so they focus on a stable of smaller titles instead of big ones, though that has bit them a few times when things sell poorly or below expectations due to not being seen as competitive enough.

It's not that these smaller titles don't exist, it's that they're becoming rarer, which makes it so there's a lot less announcements overall. EA launched ~82 retail games in 2007, and is launching like 10 this year. Activision has similarly scaled back their line-up by tremendous amounts.

We might not be missing much in terms of quality games given what they cut, but it still does lower E3 type announcements by a ton.

Sure but lets use the publisher you used as an example. They have Far Cry 4, AC Unity, Watch Dogs, and possibly The Crew all for this year. On top of that they have Child of Light and Valiant Hearts and one other Ubi Art game I believe. Hardly a publisher struggling with output, and are we to believe they will struggle with titles in 2015? I doubt it.

I just don't see the need to be Debbie Downers at this point. It may just be wishful thinking, but I believe this generation will be much healthier and diverse than last gen.

Edit: the shrinking Japanese presence could color the generation for some though. Those companies are so mismanaged.
If we're counting digital titles then yes obviously variety is very high merely by allowing indies onto the platform before we even address publishers. That said, usually that's not what I feel people associate with "major E3 announcements", given most of those tend to unveil at events like PAX or specialized press days.

I wouldn't actually consider four retail titles to be a lot for a 9000 person publisher, given they're on track to outgrow EA as the largest publisher by game developer employee count.

I mean yes obviously in 2015 they will put out Assassin's Creed 6, a traditional Tom Clancy game, and maybe The Division. Even if they put out two more games than that, I feel the output:employee ratio here I feel favors my argument.

What happened to that ultimate trust thing from the article? Sounds like some of these guys are breaking that unspoken rule.

We'll see. There could be 2 new playable PS4 games but 20 new games announced and not playable. Never know.

Zomba13

I'm still looking forward to things. Just because it isn't at Judges Week doesn't mean we won't see new footage of previously announced but still a ways off games nor does it mean we won't see some super awesome announcements, it just means they will be a ways off and might not offer much gameplay footage.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wonder what big E3 games are getting pushed to 2015.

Quantum Break is basically confirmed
Batman AK? Probably?
Evolve?
Assassins Creed Unity?

Ya know, Not a lot of games are coming out this holiday so far.

Like Ubosoft will go a year without releasing an Assassins Creed game...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I disagree with this. Yes, we've got our mega blockbusters that are making a killing - these games that have tens to hundreds of millions of dollar poured into them (i.e. GTA, CoD, Gears, Uncharted, Mario, etc), but we've seen just as many smaller scale projects making a killing and not only matching the quality of AAA games, but also trumping them. It's what has given way to making the Indie Developer scene that blew up in the last four years or so. It's what given runaway Kickstarter successes such as Broken Age, Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera (all from established mid sized developers) the eyes and ears of the gaming industry.

The gaming industry has needed this smaller to mid scale games for a long ass time, and I am so glad it's finally here. We even see large publishers such as Ubisoft putting out games like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts for $15. Not that I know how Child of Light has done financially but as the good Jim Sterling once made a video about, "Some money is better than no money." (at least I think it was Jim, I'll check) I want to see these larger scale developers open their eyes some more, realize they could take those 1000 employees and instead of making one or two huge block busters, they could instead make ten to fifteen smaller to mid scale games and likely get a better return.
I'm not even sure where to start with this one.

Games like Call of Duty and GTA V bring in $1-$2 billion.

Even if you take 15 highly successful small games the odds of doing that are incredibly poor.

Let's say all 15 games sell 2 million copies (this is very rare), cost $15, and sell all copies at full price (this is astonishingly rare). You've still only netted $450 million.

I can't think of many people that would bet on having 15 smash hits on digital that can be quickly and repeatedly iterated on instead of making a sequel to their major successful game.

If you're an independent team of 10 people, obviously the dynamics are way different.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not even sure where to start with this one.

Games like Call of Duty and GTA V bring in $1-$2 billion.

Even if you take 15 highly successful small games the odds of doing that are incredibly poor.

Let's say all 15 games sell 2 million copies (this is very rare), cost $15, and sell all copies at full price (this is astonishingly rare). You've still only netted $450 million.

Economies of scale? Economies of scale.

If we're counting digital titles then yes obviously variety is very high merely by allowing indies onto the platform before we even address publishers. That said, usually that's not what I feel people associate with "major E3 announcements", given most of those tend to unveil at events like PAX or specialized press days.

I wouldn't actually consider four retail titles to be a lot for a 9000 person publisher, given they're on track to outgrow EA as the largest publisher by game developer employee count.

I mean yes obviously in 2015 they will put out Assassin's Creed 6, a traditional Tom Clancy game, and maybe The Division. Even if they put out two more games than that, I feel the output:employee ratio here I feel favors my argument.

All I am saying is that I think/predict/whatever that developers this gen will have an easier time making games, thus will require less people per project, and more potential to create other projects, even if that is a digital game for $15-$20. Especially once they cut the anchor weighing them down that is PS360. In 2016 Ubisoft shouldn't need a 1000 people to make AC, and that will enable them to try more Watch Dogs, The Crew, Division, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, type projects.

I do wonder if Activision and EA and the ever declining Japanes publishers will take those opportunities or if they will continue to just take that extra time and resources to double down on proven franchises. Then again Titanfall was by no means a guaranteed success, and neither is Destiny so maybe they will introduce a few more of those. EA also seems to be ready to explore the Star Wars universe across multiple studios.

Sooooo I think we are in a great age of gaming personally and some exciting things will happen this gen, I only wish Japanese devs were quicker to respond. At least Japan Studio sounds busy.

grumble

If 2014 doesn't have a wall of franchise starting titles then this generation will be off to an awful start. If you want a trilogy in this gen you need the first instalment in 2014...

Not to mention a lack of system selling next generation games. I mean come on, most stuff now is just a graphical update for ps3 games.

Gorillaz

If 2014 doesn't have a wall of franchise starting titles then this generation will be off to an awful start. If you want a trilogy in this gen you need the first instalment in 2014...

Not to mention a lack of system selling next generation games. I mean come on, most stuff now is just a graphical update for ps3 games.
Enjoy hearing and seeing phrases like "coming next year/2015"

Sure.

I'll judge for myself.
image.php

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All I am saying is that I think/predict/whatever that developers this gen will have an easier time making games, thus will require less people per project, and more potential to create other projects, even if that is a digital game for $15-$20. Especially once they cut the anchor weighing them down that is PS360. In 2016 Ubisoft shouldn't need a 1000 people to make AC, and that will enable them to try more Watch Dogs, The Crew, Division, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, type projects.

I do wonder if Activision and EA and the ever declining Japanes publishers will take those opportunities or if they will continue to just take that extra time and resources to double down on proven franchises. Then again Titanfall was by no means a guaranteed success, and neither is Destiny so maybe they will introduce a few more of those. EA also seems to be ready to explore the Star Wars universe across multiple studios.

Sooooo I think we are in a great age of gaming personally and some exciting things will happen this gen, I only wish Japanese devs were quicker to respond. At least Japan Studio sounds busy.
I think we're veering a bit from the point I was trying to make. Perhaps I was unclear.

Basically:

1.) I feel E3 is defined by AAA blockbuster retail games. Most indie and digital projects unveil at different events than E3. Sometimes publisher run events, sometimes community events like PAX/GamesCom/Rezzed, and sometimes just as an arbitrary date, but as a whole, indie and digital is pretty rare for E3 compared to the focus on blockbusters.

2.) Most blockbusters tend to be much more predictable these days. I don't mean that as much in the "Oh this game will play exactly like ________." sense as I mean "Well this series releases a new entry every year/every two years, so it's time for the next one to be announced." Like using Destiny as an example, we know that they're going to release a game every year, with one year being and expansion pack, and the other being a new mainline game. Or for Titanfall, it's already announced that there will be a sequel, so it won't be a surprising announcement when they announce a new one. Generally I would consider an "E3 megaton/major hype" type of announcement to not be an expected sequel, regardless of how good the game is.

SnakeEyez

I was disappointed in the rumor that had batman missing 2014 but with the gameplay reveal today, I feel like it'll make it. Now if the Order misses 2014, that'll be very bad for Sony as they'd basically be riding on multiplats this fall. Of course not counting anything they announce to be released this fall.

jacksrb

Interesting OP, but I was much more excited to discover the Garnett and John podcast.

I stopped listening to Garnett on Games (not my thing) - but I always thought any Garnett podcast was at its best when John was on. Really looking forward to it.

And like everyone else, I would guess that this means that there isn't much exciting that will be revealed and out this year. Lots of teaser videos and 2015 stuff - I hope.

fuck these guys. thats like saying don't get excited for Chirstmas its gonna be shitty this year. Bunch of Grinches.

LET THE FESTIVITIES BEGIN

Top Bottom