• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Judges Week" attendees are saying not to expect too much from this year's E3.

I think we're veering a bit from the point I was trying to make. Perhaps I was unclear.

Basically:

1.) I feel E3 is defined by AAA blockbuster retail games. Most indie and digital projects unveil at different events than E3. Sometimes publisher run events, sometimes community events like PAX/GamesCom/Rezzed, and sometimes just as an arbitrary date, but as a whole, indie and digital is pretty rare for E3 compared to the focus on blockbusters.

2.) Most blockbusters tend to be much more predictable these days. I don't mean that as much in the "Oh this game will play exactly like ________." sense as I mean "Well this series releases a new entry every year/every two years, so it's time for the next one to be announced." Like using Destiny as an example, we know that they're going to release a game every year, with one year being and expansion pack, and the other being a new mainline game. Or for Titanfall, it's already announced that there will be a sequel, so it won't be a surprising announcement when they announce a new one. Generally I would consider an "E3 megaton/major hype" type of announcement to not be an expected sequel, regardless of how good the game is.

I think you are clinging on to me bringing up digital too much, and I apologize if that is what I made it seem like would feel the gaps when it comes to announcements. That said I believe we will get multiple new AAA game announcements, we always do. Whether that is 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 AAA games is the question. I think it is likely that we get more than that at E3. Sony could easily announce 2 or 3 alone, Ubisoft has announced a new IP at each of the last 2 or 3 E3's, EA has next to nothing announced for holidays so I expect something from them, and MS claims they have new stuff as well. Nintendo going to Nintendo.

I think people have good reason to be excited for AAA games this E3, and really excited for the industry as a whole as digital projects and indies become more prevalent. Whether the new games shown are for 2015 or 2014, I think we will see both but moreso 2015, shouldn't matter as much. It proves the industry is not consolidating on pillar franchises as much as you and some others feel it is.

This year alone we are getting a lot of new IPs. Watch Dogs, Titanfall, Destiny, Driveclub, The Order, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Sunset Overdrive, Evil Within, and likely more not announced yet, not dated yet and/or more I just missed. All brand new AAA titles. So it is not all AC, Batman, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and now Destiny and Titanfall, far from it.

iHVi7VGKShW0g.gif

Oh my god. lol

Jomjom

Banned
Didn't the bomb cast guys say that they only saw a portion of a portion of the games that are actually going to be shown?

Elios83

I really don't think that this "Judges Week" is any kind of serious indicator of what's going to be showed at E3. Most of the things are called surprises for a reason, also not being playable or not being released this year doesn't mean it won't be really exciting stuff anyway.
So well...emm nothing stops the train :D although every year it doesn't deliver on the hype LOL

As long as I hear about 2 out of 3 of the following: The Last Guardian, Project Beast, Uncharted 4, I'm good. I'm guessing we'll get that and probably much more to talk about so I'm still hyped.

a916

Meh... this is such a meaningless quote.

1. A bunch of big name publishers skipped out on judges week. (which means the press has no clue about a couple really big publishers)

2. This ignores all the game play demos that will be shown off at pressers that the press can't play but can watch a developer play. (ie. COD is not playable but is shown off every year in a playable state)

3. Completely ignores what drives most of the hype, and that's those ridiculous trailers of games we had no clue that were coming.

So... I don't see how this is relevant or indicative of what we'll see at E3.

From what I've heard, the press generally doesn't like E3 and the total gongshow that it is. The games are cool, but the amount of work they have to do in such a short time is ridiculous so I can understand why they probably dread it.

213372bu

Banned
Didn't the bomb cast guys say that they only saw a portion of a portion of the games that are actually going to be shown?

It's like that every year.

Judges week is only a portion of the actual playable you're gonna see on the floor. Many developers decide to put their games on the floor about the time E3 opens up hence the unstable builds. To my knowledge, we've seen developers absent from "Judges Week" have appearances before. Not to mention, this totally doesn't include all the hype from announced/unplayable games and announcements, which is what E3 is mainly about.

Toparaman

Banned
Honestly, if this E3 isn't good, all the console guys are in trouble. The new consoles are out, and everyone's waiting on the games.

Some Nobody

Honestly, if this E3 isn't good, all the console guys are in trouble. The new consoles are out, and everyone's waiting on the games.

The picture I'm getting is that this E3 will be good, but not if you're expecting games from July to December. It's more hyping games releasing in 2015.

But you're right: I think "hype" isn't going to sell too many more consoles. If the PS4 is going to reach the number of it's big brother (and XBO the same), then they're going to need to show off games that make people plop down $399.

Lowmelody

Something doesn't feel right, it's the first E3 since two new major systems launched, shouldn't this thing be primed? Momentum has felt ho hum if not subdued since the launch of the PS4 and XBONE so I expected E3 this year to be off the chain ushering in next gen proper.

So many people didn't read the final sentence of the original post. :/

I imagine, but at the same time, it's quite rare, and would be really unexpected to have many, if any next-gen games (since I assume they take a huge amount of resources to develop and time to create) announced at E3 and still released this fall anyways, so your point, while valid, doesn't seem to be anything unexpected.

I imagine there is a ton of good reasons to be pumped for E3. Considering that MS is already spilling its cards now, and how driven they seem to be at the moment, I'm expecting big things from them, with some huge announcements.

On the other hand, I don't see Sony or Nintendo holding back either. I expect pretty much everyone to come out guns a blazing this year.

TxdoHawk

Something doesn't feel right, it's the first E3 since two new major systems launched, shouldn't this thing be primed?

Quite the contrary. We're not even a year past launch, and therefore still firmly in the gap between launch window and the first serious waves of next-gen games.

Like a lot of people, I expect we'll get the faintest sniffs of 2015/2016 content. Next year should be far more interesting.

Some Nobody

Something doesn't feel right, it's the first E3 since two new major systems launched, shouldn't this thing be primed? Momentum has felt ho hum if not subdued since the launch of the PS4 and XBONE so I expected E3 this year to be off the chain ushering in next gen proper.

Its good to dial back your hype. Going in expecting Agent/TLG/Fallout 4/Platinum's Star Fox/TES VI is just going to disappoint you. The reality is early in the gen is when everyone wants to impress. I'm almost positive Sony said every studio they had was working on a PS4 game--that's a lot of studios and we've only seen a few games from them.

Everyone has their reason to win, and they're more aware of it than we are. Keep your expectations "tempered" and you should be entertained.

UberTag

Publishers and AAA risk-free hyperfocus have poisoned game development.
And the big guns from Rockstar and Naughty Dog (the only two developers capable of both innovating in the AAA space and wowing Western media) won't have their games in playable shape for next month.

UrbanRats

Not to sound delusional, but i'm not excited for E3, for titles coming out in the same year.
I want big announcements.

With that said, my "hype" this year is at an all time low, probably.
If it wasn't for Project Beast and the silly hope to see something new on FFXV (and Last Guardian, if we want to go in full pipe dreams territory) i would barely care.

Still, it's E3, it's an event, i haven't missed one in more than 10 years, i'm prepared for the worse already.

I think we're veering a bit from the point I was trying to make. Perhaps I was unclear.

Basically:

1.) I feel E3 is defined by AAA blockbuster retail games. Most indie and digital projects unveil at different events than E3. Sometimes publisher run events, sometimes community events like PAX/GamesCom/Rezzed, and sometimes just as an arbitrary date, but as a whole, indie and digital is pretty rare for E3 compared to the focus on blockbusters.

2.) Most blockbusters tend to be much more predictable these days. I don't mean that as much in the "Oh this game will play exactly like ________." sense as I mean "Well this series releases a new entry every year/every two years, so it's time for the next one to be announced." Like using Destiny as an example, we know that they're going to release a game every year, with one year being and expansion pack, and the other being a new mainline game. Or for Titanfall, it's already announced that there will be a sequel, so it won't be a surprising announcement when they announce a new one. Generally I would consider an "E3 megaton/major hype" type of announcement to not be an expected sequel, regardless of how good the game is.

Expected sequels could still make potentially large impacts if they're exclusive to [whatever system] when they weren't expected to be, I think.

1.) I feel E3 is defined by AAA blockbuster retail games. Most indie and digital projects unveil at different events than E3.
Didn't Sony announce 8 or 9 digital/indie games at E3 last year? And I believe Microsoft announced 3 or 4. I'd expect that's going to be true again this year as well.

2.) Most blockbusters tend to be much more predictable these days. I don't mean that as much in the "Oh this game will play exactly like ________." sense as I mean "Well this series releases a new entry every year/every two years, so it's time for the next one to be announced."
If you disqualify not just small games but also later sequels, it does indeed make E3 look quite sparse. For example, by this metric Nintendo didn't announce any meaningful games at E3 last year.

But more importantly, these tight parameters would always have made E3 look a lot emptier. Take for example Sony in 2004. This was the height of their dominance with PS2, and far enough into the gen that publishers everywhere were on board. As far as I can tell, something like 80+ PS2 games were at E3 that year. If we ignore the annualized/repetitive franchises, how many did Sony announce during their press conference? Just Sly 2 and Killzone.

I could easily be wrong, but I think they're going to officially announce more AAA retail non-annual games at this year's E3 than in 2004.

Some Nobody

Publishers and AAA risk-free hyperfocus have poisoned game development.
And the big guns from Rockstar and Naughty Dog (the only two developers capable of both innovating in the AAA space and wowing Western media) won't have their games in playable shape for next month.

GTA V has no business winning any awards for E3, since it's just a remastered edition.

Duxxy3

The same judges that gave titanfall 70 something awards?

I think their idea of a game of show is different from my idea.

TomShoe

Banned
The same judges that gave titanfall 70 something awards?

I think their idea of a game of show is different from my idea.

I'm still sticking to my opinion that E3 awards are just hype awards. The real hardware doesn't come until GOTY time in January.

The hype comes from game announcements, and the major announcements are made at least a year in advance nowadays.

In other words, the major games will not be playable anyway.

FluxWaveZ

Remember, these people see E3 every year... if this E3 they are saying that they were disappointed, people should be listening.

E3 hasn't happened yet. What they were disappointed by wasn't E3, but what they were selectively shown as media before E3 happens.

E3 hasn't happened yet. What they were disappointed by wasn't E3, but what they were selectively shown as media before E3 happens.

And once again, since you're intentionally choosing to be obtuse, these are people who see the preshows/judging weeks every E3... If they are taking note that things aren't looking as good, people should take note.

At least remember that what's playable on E3 is likely to be the games everyone is going to be playing for the next year, that should at least be somewhat alarming.

RulkezX

And once again, since you're intentionally choosing to be obtuse, these are people who see the preshows/judging weeks every E3... If they are taking note that things aren't looking as good, people should take note.

At least remember that what's playable on E3 is likely to be the games everyone is going to be playing for the next year, that should at least be somewhat alarming.

Well they admit themselves that a lot of the big publishers didn't bother and that those that did only put select games up.

I'm not seeing the reason to be alarmed, even just the games we know about point to a fantadtic lineup and those who were expecting megaton announcements of games releasing 2014 were setting themselves up for a shitty E3 no matter what came from judges week.

Nafai1123

Banned
Meh... this is such a meaningless quote.

1. A bunch of big name publishers skipped out on judges week. (which means the press has no clue about a couple really big publishers)

2. This ignores all the game play demos that will be shown off at pressers that the press can't play but can watch a developer play. (ie. COD is not playable but is shown off every year in a playable state)

3. Completely ignores what drives most of the hype, and that's those ridiculous trailers of games we had no clue that were coming.

So... I don't see how this is relevant or indicative of what we'll see at E3.

From what I've heard, the press generally doesn't like E3 and the total gongshow that it is. The games are cool, but the amount of work they have to do in such a short time is ridiculous so I can understand why they probably dread it.

Pretty much. I think people need to realize that most games coming even as soon as early/mid 2015 will likely not be playable. It's a pain in the ass to create a polished vertical slice of gameplay that any journalists can play at E3. It makes much more sense to do controlled stage demos/gameplay trailers/etc.

again, these are the same people who gave 200+ e3 awards to titanfall.

who cares about some superficial badge/sticker a game won 8 months before release?

at the end of the day, final product is what matters. alarming? there are so many games from indies to aaa coming out all the time. these judges didn't see all there is to see, didn't play all there is to play in the coming year. 5-10 blockbuster games =/= whole year of video games. these peeps are both jaded and go crazy about anything. remember their hype for watch_dogs? what happened to that? they all went sour as time went on. no wonder a lot of people don't even take them seriously. why would i be hyped for the division, again? because some e3 "judges" thought it looked "omgwtfbbq"? time and time again this happens. i wonder which game they'll hype to hell and back this year, that they'll give mediocre reviews once the game releases.

But nothing indicates the media is saying E3 doesn't look as good as other years--just that there are only one or two surprises. This is clear even though the OP has no quotes, only BruiserBear's second-hand impressions of their attitudes.

First, what they saw had to be playable, but Judges' Week doesn't include everything that will be playable. Second, media who've been deep into the field for a long time could easily be not just more knowledgeable than fans, but also more jaded. Jeff Gerstmann in particular has a reputation for rarely being impressed.

E3 isn't guaranteed to be bonkers by these factors, but your pessimism is based on just as thin a thread as the hype.

Top Bottom