• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes July 14th

'words and numbers and excel of wisdom'
Took me a while to understand that you started to count from zero on each year.
Astonishing how massively microsoft clawed back last winter, even if you know the price they paid for it.
After the beatings they might get from batman they will feel the itch to do the same again, and i don't know if they are confident enough to put it all on the shoulders of a faceless space marine, when at the same time there will be a COD and starwars in the favour of PS4.
This really is an uncomfortable situation for them.
Dropping the price seems inavitable.
If Sony wants to joke around a bit and cuts 100 bucks off, We will have an NPD thread that takes no prisoners.

edit: when I was a kid we played joust on the atari. So stop feeling old, you twens.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Do we know how much the gap currently is in the US between the two consoles?

I wanna know how much gap MS will need to close of this holiday season to tie with PS4. In the US of course.

It is approximately ~700,000 difference between PS4 & XB1 LTD in the USA at the moment.

The gap between the PlayStation 4 and Wii U is almost 4 million units in the USA.

It is approximately ~700,000 difference between PS4 & XB1 LTD in the USA at the moment.

The gap between the PlayStation 4 and Wii U is almost 4 million units in the USA.

Nice, so if we add a 100k difference for June with the Arkham bundle and 100k difference in September for Destiny bundle we already have the 900k gap from last year.

And we aren't even counting the differences for July & August.

This year MS has to beat a 1m gap or more.

Things will be interesting this holiday :)

Really? Wow! I thought I was in the younger end of the spectrum bieng in my thirties...you're all making me feel old.

I will help you feel young again! ...I have spent 22 years of my life just in school between all my academic pursuits. Only 9 of those years were spent doing just school and the rest being while I was working part time or otherwise. Stay in school, kids!^^

Three

i was referring to the avatar quote, not the 1%ers.

Which is a shame, I really wish gaf would think a little better of me

You're asking for another quote with that. For what it's worth I think you're cool, one of the many good posters here on gaf.

Nice, so if we add a 100k difference for June with the Arkham bundle and 100k difference in September for Destiny bundle we already have the 900k gap from last year.

Call me crazy but I see a $250 base unit XBO on the horizon.

Javin98

Banned

September could have a gap of more than 100K because of the MGSV and Destiny bundles. Also, I'm expecting a price drop announced at Sony's TGS conference. Also, I get the feeling this holiday season will be very different to last year's. If Sony drops the price of the PS4 to $299 and has aggressive bundles, they may actually win the holiday season.

P.S. I'm glad we're back to talking about sales. ;)

Abdiel

September could have a gap of more than 100K because of the MGSV and Destiny bundles. Also, I'm expecting a price drop announced at Sony's TGS conference. Also, I get the feeling this holiday season will be very different to last year's. If Sony drops the price of the PS4 to $299 and has aggressive bundles, they may actually win the holiday season.

I feel the more potent impact would be at their PGW conference. That coincides with the Halo release, and could cause a really powerful forward momentum into the holiday push.

Are we expecting the MGSV PS4 bundle to push hardware in September the same way Destiny did last year?

Worldwide yes, but the MGSV Bundle hasn't been announced for US so it won't be a major factor in September NPD if it doesn't come to NA.

Destiny has a bundle this September as well haha

I feel it won't match the original White bundle in sales but I'll give it a 100k gap though :p

^I want to see this play out so much or... the opposite
Sony does nothing but MS can't close the gap (even with exclusives) that would really make neogaf melt.

Worldwide yes, but the MGSV Bundle hasn't been announced for US so it won't be a major factor in September NPD if it doesn't come to NA.

I feel it won't match the original White bundle in sales but I'll give it a 100k gap though :p

Sony does nothing but MS can't close the gap (even with exclusives) that would really make neogaf melt.

Metal Gear will move PS4s; bundle or no bundle. If they make it their new "Batman" style pack in game for September I could see some more movement as well, but they will sell quite handsomely regardless.

Abdiel

which basically means you don't like me.

Hey Artisan,

Take this how you will, but I've seen you since that first thread where the 1% thing came about. You've never been malicious, mean-spirited, or arrogant. Naive at times, but at least you were honest about your reasoning and accepted when people corrected you.

I think it speaks very well of you that you have avoiding snapping at people or lashing out about the jokes. Props to you sir. Just keep learning!

Metal Gear will move PS4s; bundle or no bundle. If they make it their new "Batman" style pack in game for September I could see some more movement as well, but they will sell quite handsomely regardless.

Oh I know it will, I did say major though.

For me, no bundle = minor needle movement

Javin98

Banned
I feel the more potent impact would be at their PGW conference. That coincides with the Halo release, and could cause a really powerful forward momentum into the holiday push.
PGW would be too late IMO because it is on the same day as Halo 5 releasing. This would give the XB1 almost a full month to build up momentum and will almost certainly give October to Microsoft.

LOL, meltdowns are always glorious.

ZhugeEX

Banned
PGW would be too late IMO because it is on the same day as Halo 5 releasing. This would give the XB1 almost a full month to build up momentum and will almost certainly give October to Microsoft.

1 month doesn't matter. Besides, that's not what Sony care about, they care about hitting their own sales targets, not about "winning" October NPD.

Sony is control of the PS4's destiny unless MS takes drastic measures again. The thing is that the PS4 doesn't necessarily need to win this holiday season. It just needs to not get beaten by a large margin.

I'm curious to see when Sony will make the pricecut. I can see them cutting the price in September to take advantage of the autumn uptick. However, I can also see them cutting the price during PGW to knock the wind out of Halo 5's sails.

Ricky_R

I think we should stop teasing Artisan already. It has become tiresome and it's disrespectful.

There's a 1% chance the above isn't sarcasm.

Elandyll

Banned
1 month doesn't matter. Besides, that's not what Sony care about, they care about hitting their own sales targets, not about "winning" October NPD.
A lot of sales ramp up in Sept and October though, which is why even though PGW makes sense, I wouldn't be surprised if the price drop happens via press release during Gamescom... Which is pretty much all they need (on top of showing their Euro centric releases and some High profile Japanese titles on the floor) to have a good GC even without a presser there.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Oh... ohhhh. Didn't realize I accidentally made a pun >_<

Some may say that pun was a coincidence, I say it was destiny....

Ok, I'll leave now.

A lot of sales ramp up in Sept and October though, which is why even though PGW makes sense, I wouldn't be surprised if the price drop happens via press release during Gamescom... Which is pretty much all they need (on top of showing their Euro centric releases and some High profile Japanese titles on the floor) to have a good GC even without a presser there.

Yup, agreed. But just saying that a price drop announcement is not always in retaliation to a move a competitor has/is making.

If you were a betting man......299? Or a 350 bundle? Or.......BOTH?????

crinale

If yen isn't weak then I could definitely say Sony would dare to cut the price (heck they did reduce the BOM it seems, by introducing CUH-1200). By looking at today's currency situation I'm not so sure about that though..

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm solely talking about U.S. sales seeing as how this is an NPD prediction thread. Maybe I missed that the discussion was on worlwide sales, then?

Yep, am purely talking U.S. sales here.

I see then. Either way, I believe that Halo 5 will have a slightly bigger launch than Halo 3 but won't do as well as Halo 3 overall. I feel that the number of "hardcore xbox fans" that own an Xbox One is closer to 100% of the system's userbase in comparison to the percentage of "hardcore xbox fans" that owned an Xbox 360 back in 2007 (basically, if you have an Xbox One then chances are you got it due to its exclusives).

I don't feel that Halo 5 will do as well as Halo 3 overall though due to the Xbox One's position (in comparison to the 360's last gen) and Halo 6 sounding like a 2017 game; The next mainline Halo game after Halo 3 released three years after it (Reach in 2010).

Halo 3 was at 8 million in January 2008 and I believe that the sales of the Xbox 360 then were around 18 million. If true, then about 45% of Xbox 360 owners had the game (which is a bit more than I thought).

I really think we will see a higher percentage for Xbox One owners that own Halo 5 in January 2016. Just my opinion though.

Welfare

I don't feel that Halo 5 will do as well as Halo 3 overall though due to the Xbox One's position (in comparison to the 360's last gen) and Halo 6 sounding like a 2017 game; The next mainline Halo game after Halo 3 released three years after it (Reach in 2010).

Mainline Halo titles after CE have always been on a 3 year dev cycle. Halo 6 will be a 2018 title.

QaaQer

I think h5 will be the biggest selling halo as it will be part of the 'fewer titles, but the ones left sell more' trend. I also predict that the number one podcast in 2016 will be "go bayside" as it closes in on the last saved by the bell episode, number 89.

Elandyll

Banned
If you were a betting man......299? Or a 350 bundle? Or.......BOTH?????
If I was a betting man, I'd say announce of the price drop to $299 at Gamescom for the base 500gb PS4, $349 MGSV bundle and Battlefront bundle, possible COD bundle (1Tb?) at $349 around BF.

Yup, agreed. But just saying that a price drop announcement is not always in retaliation to a move a competitor has/is making.
Oh definitely. If (when) the price drop happens it will be about expanding the userbase and meeting forecasts, not about winning the NPD ;)

red720

On the even more superior North East coast of England we've been there for seven hours already.

Pfffft
7Jd7jbY.png

was 900k the largest gap so far in NA?

Top Bottom