• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 screenshots Leaked [Update: New microtransaction hell screenshots]

Shaneus

Looks like this thread got his attention

FwbTEew.png

1XQr3qR.png

Edit: Beaten by gamezone
A game doesn't have to be "F2P" to be loaded to the hilt with microtransactions. My guess is he's using a technicality in terminology to dance around the subject. Chances are, it'll be loaded with nickel-and-dime DLC as pay-to-win.

For shits and giggles, just looked up Squeenix on Steam and the list of DLC. There's EIGHTY-SIX items available on there. About 5 of those are actual, meaty content packs like maps/missions and such, the rest is bullshit DLC. 24 addons for Sleeping Dogs. 12 for Hitman Absolution. 26 for Tomb Raider.

Fuck this trend and fuck this publisher (and anyone like them). Seriously.

Lamptramp

I'll happily wait for Avalanche/Squeenix to prove me wrong but given recent times I'm of the opinion if a dev/publisher is being cagey about a titles business model then its because they know its not going to go down well.

Sod a potential FTP/"micro"transaction ridden Just cause 3. And sod Sleeping dogs triad wars.

I really hope that Witcher 3 with its "free to all, no special DLC" ethos does spectacularly well to show rewarding customers is a better value proposition than trying to milk them.

[edit]

A game doesn't have to be "F2P" to be loaded to the hilt with microtransactions. My guess is he's using a technicality in terminology to dance around the subject. Chances are, it'll be loaded with nickel-and-dime DLC as pay-to-win.

Its sad that we're so used to being misled by people that that's the first thing people see when that kind of statement is seen. Thats pretty much how I read it too.

Quentyn

Looks like this thread got his attention

1XQr3qR.png

Edit: Beaten by gamezone

"couple of days" That makes it sound like they plan to announce it soon.

The next Game Informer cover is on Tuesday, maybe they will reveal it then. I doubt they will go into much detail on the microtransactions though.

Shaneus

I'll happily wait for Avalanche/Squeenix to prove me wrong but given recent times I'm of the opinion if a dev/publisher is being cagey about a titles business model then its because they know its not going to go down well.

Sod a potential FTP/"micro"transaction ridden Just cause 3. And sod Sleeping dogs triad wars.

I really hope that Witcher 3 with its "free to all, no special DLC" ethos does spectacularly well to show rewarding customers is a better value proposition than trying to milk them.
CDP-R will sell bucketloads of Witcher 3. Possibly not as much as either SD2 or JC3 (as much as they can be "sold") but I think it'll be enough to justify their point.

UberTag

Clearly instead of being F2P, Just Cause 3 is PTW (pay-to-win).
The game will still cost $59 at retail and will be filled with optional shortcut methods for people to quickly unlock all of the content via microtransactions.
And anyone that has a problem with it will be able to grind away in repetitively mundane ways for hundreds of hours and unlock all of this content the old-fashioned way.
Just like in all of those mobile games we know and love. Won't that be fun?
Square Enix and Avalanche are simply offering us choice. Because they value our time. What sports they are!

Maybe this little gem:

a3CigKk.png

I'm here to tell you, no it is not and anyone who thinks that way will get no money from me.

and this is why I will pull out of gaming once this shit hits my favourite games. Hopefully ALL developers that choose to gimp games just so they can have microtransactions in them will burn and crash.

Still grasping on to the idea that these screens are fake, as besides the shoddy texture work, odd composition, sparse environments, poor logo design (looks nothing like the latter JC2 logo) and, in my opinion, weird menu layout for the micro transaction menus, the main character bares very little resemblance to Rico. No parachute backpack OR grappling hook attachment on either arm. Both of these things are so iconic to the character. Either they've changed the mechanics entirely or this stuff ain't real.

Call me crazy but these are just things I picked out, though I was admittedly looking for them.

Time will tell.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Then his next generation will be a generation without me.

He`s just as cocky as Microsoft was at the beginning of this generation. First they had to deal with the DRM backlash, but also for having microtransactions in Ryse and Forza 5.

Lamptramp

CDP-R will sell bucketloads of Witcher 3. Possibly not as much as either SD2 or JC3 (as much as they can be "sold") but I think it'll be enough to justify their point.

Here's hoping, I've not had the chance to play the Witcher series before but their news earlier this week helped them sell 3 to me.

Percy

Banned
New first screen in the OP makes me want to throw up.

So it's definitely not F2P? How in fuck are they going to justify charging people for something that looks like this does right now?

tbm24

New first screen in the OP makes me want to throw up.

So it's definitely not F2P? How in fuck are they going to justify charging people for something that looks like this does right now?
From the image it just looks like you can buy cars to own. So long as I can play the game and travel around like Just Cause 2, I don't think I'll be bothered by this.

and this is why I will pull out of gaming once this shit hits my favourite games. Hopefully ALL developers that choose to gimp games just so they can have microtransactions in them will burn and crash.

They won't. People are growing up with this shitty model. It's normal to them. Shit, look at how many adults on GAF that know better and still defend it.

I don't get why they seem like they're gonna lock vehicles like cars and what have you behind micro transactions. It may have just been how I played the second game, but I hardly ever used the non air or sea vehicles, considering I had a goddamn parachute.

UrbanRats

Really? Witcher 3 has been on the mouth of everyone in the last year or two.
Who gives a shit about Sleeping Dogs 2 or Just Cause 3? As much as i (was) looking forward to those, Witcher 3 will be much much bigger, in a post Skyrim landscape, than either of those.

aravuus

Maybe this little gem:

a3CigKk.png

I'm here to tell you, no it is not and anyone who thinks that way will get no money from me.

Fuck you, Christofer Sundberg.

Two more leaked screenshots from the AGB Twitter.

fzpapb.jpg

I'm never buying this piece of shit. I don't fucking understand how anyone could defend this.

It's just mind boggling. I can't find the words to express my feelings.

e: wow, only had to go a couple of posts up
From the image it just looks like you can buy cars to own. So long as I can play the game and travel around like Just Cause 2, I don't think I'll be bothered by this.

They won't. People are growing up with this shitty model. It's normal to them. Shit, look at how many adults on GAF that know better and still defend it.

Yeah its sad that people dont care if they are being used and that they dont know that WE the gamers are the one that decided on what a developer does. If we dont buy anti consumer products, then they will not make them.

Well one thing is for sure, once my favourite games become a microtransaction hell hole, I am ending my gaming career.

Lizardus

I wonder if this will be like one of those games where everything is buy-able with in-game currency but you have to grind a LOT. After a while, you just end up spending real money.

Kevin

I'll wait for he Just Cause 3: Omega Edition with the 1300 DLC packs when it hits the $5 price range on Steam. Can't wait!

Attaching remote explosives to a car and driving it into a fuel depot was one of the best things about JC2 and now we seemingly have to pay to access the cars and weapons to do it?

BPoole

I'm trying to stay optimistic but it is really fucking hard.

Is having all this shit going to limit the ability for players to mod the game? I loved JC2 and would probably have it in my top 10 of last Gen, but it largely has to do with the flying mod (as well as several others).

Shaneus

Really? Witcher 3 has been on the mouth of everyone in the last year or two.
Who gives a shit about Sleeping Dogs 2 or Just Cause 3? As much as i (was) looking forward to those, Witcher 3 will be much much bigger, in a post Skyrim landscape, than either of those.
Possibly the mouth of everyone here, but what about people outside of the "hardcore" gaming community? They're more likely to see ads and eat up something by a big publisher like Squeenix than CDPR, regardless of how good it is. They may never become aware of it.

doofy102

Even if it's not F2P... those are still microtransactions. So it's even worse than F2P? It's pay-to-microtransaction?

Clearly instead of being F2P, Just Cause 3 is PTW (pay-to-win).
The game will still cost $59 at retail and will be filled with optional shortcut methods for people to quickly unlock all of the content via microtransactions.
And anyone that has a problem with it will be able to grind away in repetitively mundane ways for hundreds of hours and unlock all of this content the old-fashioned way.
Just like in all of those mobile games we know and love. Won't that be fun?
Square Enix and Avalanche are simply offering us choice. Because they value our time. What sports they are!

Will buy day 677 for $5.

If all the games I'd bought recently had been F2P based, then I would have wasted less money on games I found annoying and supported my favourite developers better.

Yeah its sad that people dont care if they are being used and that they dont know that WE the gamers are the one that decided on what a developer does. If we dont buy anti consumer products, then they will not make them.

Well one thing is for sure, once my favourite games become a microtransaction hell hole, I am ending my gaming career.

I think it can work both ways. Some games do this structure fairly well, I know I've gotten more than my money's worth out of Guild Wars 2 (although P2P more than "freemium") and I a lot of people play DOTA, LoL, TF2, etc .. which are all "free to play" with cash shops. Even had a lot of fun on mobile devices with P&D and Monster Strike.

I think there is a place for stuff like this, I just wish they'd stop doing it with current franchises but it seems that's how you get the name recognition. I think there are going to be a lot of "interesting" models that come down the pipelines. I just hate seeing one of my favorite games from last gen turned into this.

I get they need to make money, but this is shareholders, not a developer trying to make enough to fund another project.

Either way, I'm out. I'll play GTA V or something else. While I loved JC2, the story sucked, the handling of ground vehicles sucked, and the mods were what made it a great game ... not a cash shop.

Attaching remote explosives to a car and driving it into a fuel depot was one of the best things about JC2 and now we seemingly have to pay to access the cars and weapons to do it?

Their new business model should be called "pay up or grind into oblivion".

These sorts of things are making me hate gaming.

void666

Banned
I loved just cause 2. Still have it installed and play it from time to time.
Was looking forward to play JC3 but if it's really filled with dlc, microtransactions e f2p like crap i'm not buying it.

Micro-transactions on full priced games must be Cristofer Sundberg's wet dream.

And when reality catch up, I suppose he'll explain the mediocre sells by saying we're too old-fashioned, or some crap among those lines.

Top Bottom