• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 screenshots Leaked [Update: New microtransaction hell screenshots]

Crawl

What's next? Deus ex you rent augments & if you dont renew the micro fee your Aug sets off an alarm alerting enemies to you?

Gamezone

Gold Member
He doesn`t call Just Cause 3 F2P. Ubisoft doesn`t call Assassins Creed Rouge F2P, but they included microtransactions in it.

Their new business model should be called "pay up or grind into oblivion".

These sorts of things are making me hate gaming.

Yup. I'm trying to keep an open mind until it's officially announced and we get to see everything in action, but screens are soul crushing and making it impossible to give them the benefit of the doubt.

bwakh

People people, relax! The leaked screens don't mean that the actual release will be like that. Maybe the screens are from the time when they were just exploring possibilities and canned it later on. Maybe Christofer is right when he says there is nothing to worry about. Wait and see maybe?

I like to be optimistic.

A-V-B

Everyone was psyched for Just Cause 3. Super psyched. One of those "on the list" games that never leaves the list no matter how much time passes.

Until they did this. And now it's gone.

Sad. Sad sad sad.

urge26

I was going to say we probably wouldn't see a JC3 without this system in place, but according to Wiki (and we all know that's always correct, sarcasm), "On September 10, 2013, Christofer Sundberg, the Founder and Chief Creative Officer at Avalanche Studios, revealed via Twitter that Just Cause 2 has sold approximately 6,000,000 units to date"

Realizing this game has been less than the price of lunch for a long, long time now but I still don't get the decision on F2P or microtransaction (loaded) elements if true. Really sad because this was really one of the true gems to come out of nowhere last gen (especially with what I played on JC1).

WEGGLES

Call me stupidly optimistic, but do we know the $$$ is REAL money? Like, that can't be real.

That's so OBVIOUSLY terrible, there's no way it's real $$$.

SJRB

Gold Member
Call me stupidly optimistic, but do we know the $$$ is REAL money? Like, that can't be real.

That's so OBVIOUSLY terrible, there's no way it's real $$$.

Well it's an alpha so the prices probably are placeholder, but it's microtransactions up the wazzoo.

Akronis

They already ruined that with Absolution.

I thought Absolution was ok. The disguise system, the weird story, and the shitty linear levels ruined most of it. Technically, it was fantastic though.

If they can combine the good from Absolution with Blood Money missions and gameplay, I'd be so down to clown.

WEGGLES

Well it's an alpha so the prices probably are placeholder, but it's microtransactions up the wazzoo.

Are we sure it's microtransactions? I'm trying to be optimistic, maybe you get $ from missions, but the black market trades in diamonds you buy with (in-game) $? :'(

Are we sure it's microtransactions? I'm trying to be optimistic, maybe you get $ from missions, but the black market trades in diamonds you buy with (in-game) $? :'(

Keep trying to hold onto hope man. I'm trying to hold on to. I was hoping they'd focus on greater mechanics for Rico, like a dual-wire system with increased physics for truly intriguing madness and Attack on Titan-esque traversal ...

and yet, here we are worried to death this game will be filled with microtransactions. Uggh.

I want to believe.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Why would you introduce two currencies? Is there a fluctuating economy that you have to pay attention to?

The most obvious answer is probably the correct one.

WEGGLES

Why would you introduce two currencies? Is there a fluctuating economy that you have to pay attention to?

The most obvious answer is probably the correct one.

But the supposed microtransactions are so obviously bad. Even if it was F2P they'd be terrible. I guess the $:Diamond ratio is off tho if it's ingame currencies. 'Cause is Rico getting paid $2/hr to do secret agent stuff?

A-V-B

But the supposed microtransactions are so obviously bad. Even if it was F2P they'd be terrible. I guess the $:Diamond ratio is off tho if it's ingame currencies. 'Cause is Rico getting paid $2/hr to do secret agent stuff?

Some children die in the womb. Things can crumble faster than you imagined.

Sushi Nao

Yeah, I won't but this if it has in-app purchases. Shame, because JC1 and 2 were some of my most beloved last-gen experiences.

I hope threads like these help get the awareness out to these publishers and their accountants, that this sort of thing is not acceptable. I guess the only way they'll change is if they think they're going to lose money from dissatisfied customers not wanting to spend 70$ on a storefront.

no. but maybe just Square Enix.

They already ruined that with Absolution.
I know, but Absolution was bound to be pretty bad since the first concept art was shown. The new one is much more promising, which is why ruining it with microtransactions would be a real shame.

Enco

To be honest, this screenshot is really selling me on the game.

jpg__1_.0.jpg

So absolutely beautiful.

Shaneus

Yeah, I won't but this if it has in-app purchases. Shame, because JC1 and 2 were some of my most beloved last-gen experiences.

I hope threads like these help get the awareness out to these publishers and their accountants, that this sort of thing is not acceptable. I guess the only way they'll change is if they think they're going to lose money from dissatisfied customers not wanting to spend 70$ on a storefront.
Sad thing is, all they need is one whale good for another ~$50 for every 50 people playing it to justify it (monetarily). Which is more likely than not.

Sye d'Burns

The only bright side to this thread - and, boy, is it a bittersweet one - is that I got the urge to play JC2 for the first time since around 2010. I remembered it as fantastic but, man, I forgot just how good this game is.

WEGGLES

Sad thing is, all they need is one whale good for another ~$50 for every 50 people playing it to justify it (monetarily). Which is more likely than not.

Yep. They're not looking for a buck or two from everyone. They're looking for those rare people who will just dump a ton of money into it because, why not?

:(

2thepoint

jpg__1_.0.jpg

So absolutely beautiful.

I love that screenshot but it just makes it harder because I am simply not supporting ''games'' that are built around microtransactions.

That South Park episode the other night is so on point.

Shaneus

jpg__1_.0.jpg

So absolutely beautiful.
How about I sell you on it even more?

Whoever took that screenshot had to pay 50c for each of those enemies to appear. And 10c for each bullet used.

$1 to be able to take the screenshot.

doofy102

jpg__1_.0.jpg

So absolutely beautiful.

Just don't draw your attention to the amount of details on the side of the hill.

I'm glad at least that it looks like we can actually take vehicles off-road without being stopped by a clusterfuck of trees.

BPoole

The Crew also has 2 currencies, so this is not limited to SE.
All major publishers will start shoving this shit down our throats until it's just commonplace and nobody complains. Devs costs are more expensive now so they're trying to explore as many revenue streams as possible

dEvAnGeL

what a load of bs, micro transactions was one of the reasons dead space 3 sucked so much because incorporating that in to the game completely changed the way upgrading worked, on dead space 2 that was spot on so things like this are not good for any game

Loomer

Avalanche just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the internet(I'm an expert), but pay-to-win microtransactions aren't well liked around here.

What this means is the internet, after hearing about this, the internet is not going to want to purchase Just Cause 3 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Avalanche's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Avalanche has alienated an entire market with this move.

Avalanche, publicly apologize and cancel microtransactions for Just Cause 3 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Chris R

If real money is "required" I'm out, even with how much I loved JC2.

If the money is only for the black market items I'm in.

Top Bottom