• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 6 - The Final Showdown - Olyphant & Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
m6uG9j0.jpg

It took me about as much effort as Ava turning into a disloyal b.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I can't root against Raylan, he's too hilarious.

"Why you gotta be such a dick?"
"It's my job, being a dick. It'd be weird if you liked me."

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't know how I feel about this season. I like both Raylan and Boyd too much to really want to see one inevitably destroy the other. It's like having to pick between your parents in a divorce, except the parent you don't pick gets put on a rocket and fired into the sun.

- Warming Glow: Before The Bullets: An Oral History Of The Creation Of ‘Justified’
The pilot episode of FX’s Justified debuted on March 16, 2010. Based on a short story by Elmore Leonard titled “Fire in the Hole,” it introduced viewers to a shoot-first U.S. Marshal named Raylan Givens, a charismatic and eloquent crime boss named Boyd Crowder, and a collection of other characters from both sides of the law in Harlan, Kentucky. Over the course of its five seasons to date, the show has accumulated critical acclaim and a loyal following, as well as eight Emmy nominations (with two wins) and a Peabody Award. It begins its sixth and final season this week.

With that end in sight, we thought it would be fun to go back to the beginning and look at the show’s journey to the screen from the perspective of the people involved. We talked to some of the key players in the development of the series and the result is this account of how Justified came to be.

Season premiere tonight:
Fate's Right Hand

Raylan guides Ava through the process of informing on Boyd and tries to turn Boyd's old ally against him; Boyd works to pull off a daring heist right under Raylan's nose.
The episode is scheduled for 1 hr 15 minutes.

- NY Times on the final season:
It’s a dilemma. Raylan is the champion, the defender of law and order, and the wisecracking, disarming good guy, but Boyd is the more compelling character, the one who stayed and tried to build something — in some ways, he’s the show’s real hero. You suspect that the producers will find another way out. It’s notable that through five seasons, “Justified” has killed off several casts’ worth of colorful, endearing supporting players but has kept its core intact, not disposing of any central characters to jolt the ratings or provide a cliffhanger. Here’s hoping its aim stays true to the end.

Linius

It all feels so real now. Too bad I'm gonna be spending my day with statistics tomorrow. On the other hand, I probably can't resist to watch the episode since I got all day.

HYPE

IronRinn

That Warming Glow article is great.

Beginning of the end tonight. When I first started watching I had no idea I would be as sad as I am to see this show go.

Edit: Yeesh, that Goggins interview needs an editor badly. So many grammatical errors.

Is there a decent recap of Season 5 around anywhere? I only vaguely recall how things went down towards the end of last season.

Is there a decent recap of Season 5 around anywhere? I only vaguely recall how things went down towards the end of last season.
I haven't seen one. You can read the justifiedwikia here if you want.

Short version: Raylan was supposed to head down to Florida to be with Winona & his daughter, but Vasquez and Rachel want to take down Boyd once and for all. Ava is out of prison and working for Raylan to take down Boyd. Boyd is working with Wynn and Katherine Hale on a bank job. Art got shot by Daryl and is in the hospital. Rachel is in charge of the local office. Tim's around. Dewey was arrested late in S5.

I might have missed a few things, but that's the basics.

- Grantland: The Quality of Mercy in Harlan County: ‘Justified’ Hits the Homestretch
Even singling out individual actors feels too reductive to Justified’s body of work, though. Raylan and Boyd have traversed a switchback path to get to this point. They had themselves a standoff at the beginning, and if the show goes where it’s pointed, they’ll have another one at the end. This has never been a series all that big on surprises; the merit of Justified lies in its mostly meticulous craftsmanship, in its ability to focus and draw out dread, and in finding moments of beauty and poignancy in grim inevitability.

- Matt Zoller Seitz's review for NY Mag:
Although the first three episodes, all of which are terrific, have that Justified vibe — with crooks and cops scheming and preening in pursuit of arrests or money, cracking jokes and skulls along the way — there's a mournful undertone. Raylan, Boyd, and other characters keep intimating that both Harlan County's history and their own lives have been studies in disappointment, and that their present courses of action are part of some as-yet-undefined final act that will likely have a bloody end.

Top Bottom