• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

Broank

The Great Escape should be in the first cd ;-;

1st japanese album still their best greatest hits album.

Edit: Oh, it's the final lineup? lmao, I expected one good stunt announcement to kick the ticket sales.

Well I mean they do have pretty much all the album songs from the first album, Mr Taxi, Time Machine, Bad Girl, The Great Escape, BTBAL, Beautiful Stranger, Let It Rain.

Only ones missing are I'm In Love With the HERO and you-aholic (which are two of my favorite tbh...) Missing a lot more good stuff from the 2nd and 3rd albums. Blue Jeans over the legendary Lips and Reflection? Madness!

ramyeon

Man, the original report on Park Bom is so sensationalist. It is pretty hard for me to deny media outlets have an agenda here when a story about something that happened 4 years ago is a front page headline on newspapers today over allegations against the government's mishandling of funds intended for the victims from the Sewol tragedy.

luso

Maybe you are right but... how a k-pop idol drug issue - even if it's 2NE1- can battle with latest Sewol tragedy news? To what the general public would focus their attention? Either those outlets are trying too hard or someone is dumb.
Edit: Or YG is genius and this was released at the appropriate time to be more discrete...

Slowdive

Banned
Amber teaser:
e_01_h.jpg

ramyeon

Maybe you are right but... how a k-pop idol drug issue - even if it's 2NE1- can battle with latest Sewol tragedy news? To what the general public would focus their attention? Either those outlets are trying too hard or someone is dumb.
Edit: Or YG is genius and this was released at the appropriate time to be more discrete...
It is very easy for media outlets to place emphasis and importance on certain stories regardless of their real world importance. The story has been sensationalised and put on the front page of physical newspapers, that positioning alone is pretty powerful.

YG doesn't have the power to choose when stuff like this gets reported. If he did then it wouldn't be reported, period.

[Exclusive] MBC "'Lip sync' idols who only open and close their mouths on stage will be kicked off stage"

'Music Core' CP, "Singers who can't sing live on stage do not have what it takes to be a singer. We will be thoroughly checking each MR submitted by the agencies and make sure that singers who only open and close their mouths will be gone from the stage."

"Nowadays, 'listening' music has become the trend but there is still a discrepancy where those who sing live will continue to do so while those who don't still don't. Even if a group is centered around their performance, a singer should sing or rap live to satisfy the public."

#PrayForEXO.

HQ.

So... Music Core is gonna be a short ass show from now on I guess haha. Even some of the idol acts that do sing actually still use lipsync in most of their appearences from what I can tell. Maybe they won't count it when groups do lip sync but have actual sung moments/breakdowns/partswherepeopleliketoshowoff#Jessicaineverydamnsongever!

Peru

luso

Best SNSD choices. (if true I'm sure there was some type of compromise among the choices).

Taeyeon: The Great Escape
Jessica: Beautiful Stranger
Sunny: Let It Rain
Fanny: Not Alone
Hyoyeon: Karma Butterfly
Yuri: Blue Jeans
Sooyoung: Flyers
Yoona: Stay Girls
Seohyun: Born To Be A Lady

As for the MBC Music Core, it wasn't like that before? I remember years ago it was said MC only allowed live singing (I guess it including some backtrack anyways).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can see them dancing in a box already.

Sounds like a more boring version of the kind of groove in the new Fiestar teaser.

Peru

It sounds good but yesterday's song sounded amaaazing and more f-xy - unfortunately the dark-ish looking mv probably wouldn't be for that song. Happy they're performing it though.

smtown

Winner Teaser Movie #1

Papa YG said:
EXPLANATION ON ARTICLES RELATED TO BOM
Dear readers, this is Yang Hyun Suk.
I am here to give you a brief explanation of the misunderstandings that surfaced last night.

Why is Yang explaining this in writing, instead of announcing the agency’s official stance?

I would like to point out the articles refer to the incident that occurred 4 years ago.
Back then, BOM’s parents paid a private visit to inform me her family had been investigated due to the incident,
And revealed to me for the first time, in private, a shocking incident BOM experienced
in the past along with her medical history.
So until the articles were published, neither YG members nor the members of 2NE1 had the knowledge about the incident.

Thus I thought it was right to explain the incident myself,
as I personally heard the story,
Rather than making an official announcement by the agency that was not informed of the incident earlier.

As the Executive Producer, what are your thoughts on the incident?

I have seen 2NE1 for 9 years since they were trainees.
The last 9 years we spent together tells me that
none of the members smoke… nor do they drink much…
Apart from official events, I have never even seen them go clubbing in private.
That is my knowledge, and I have never heard rumors on these issues either.

And the articles turned BOM, whom I knew for 9 years, into a “drug smuggler” overnight.

I am left aghast and am at a complete loss for words.
Do I need to give an explanation to something that does not make sense? Would that create more trouble?
I had to give it a lot of thought before I reached a conclusion.

For the fans cheering on for 2NE1, who are now in the middle of their World Tour…
And for BOM, who is like a sister to me, who is now labeled a “drug smuggler” overnight,
I could do more than just watch these things happen to her.

What is the truth?

As the fans would already know, BOM lived in the U.S. for a long period of time before making a debut as 2NE1
And she once had a dream of becoming a soccer player.
But unfortunately, she had to witness a close friend’s death during a soccer match
and she was put into deep shock and sadness that were too hard for a young girl to handle.
She went through very difficult times, having to undergo psychotherapy and psychological treatment at the same time.
She had been consistently taking medication officially prescribed by a famous university-affiliated hospital in the U.S.

Since the incident BOM was no longer able to play soccer and decided to become a singer
She came back to South Korea and auditioned for YG, and I remember the day vividly.
The reason I so clearly remember her out of many
is her fearlessness when she declared, “I will not be a singer if I couldn’t belong to YG Entertainment.”

She did not pass that year, but she came back the following year and failed again,
but in the 3rd public audition she ranked #1 among thousands of contestants—that is how I remember her distinctly.

The reason I bring up stories that seem unrelated is that
although I first met BOM 11 years ago,
I never knew about BOM’s soccer background or her medical history until her father explained it to me 4 years ago
And she never told 2NE1 members any of this—
which only shows that this remains a painful memory she does not want to disclose.

However, despite my intentions, I am in the position to reveal the story.
BOM had been taking medication officially prescribed by the U.S. hospital for years until 4 years ago,
but as she was unable to fly to the U.S. due to busy schedules,
BOM’s mother and grandmother had to post the medication prescribed by the same hospital to South Korea.
The problem at the customs arose as the medication happened to be banned in South Korea.

Fortunately, we received all the prescriptions and BOM’s medical record from the U.S. hospital,
and we handed them in during the investigation.
The case had since been closed, as all the record submitted had been proved true.

It is said the medication contains narcotic components—were you informed of this?

What kind of mother or grandmother gets her daughter or granddaughter narcotics?
Nowadays most medications require doctor’s prescription,
and how many people take medicine fully knowing what it contains?

As I said on the program “Healing Camp” a few years ago,
I also have to carry tranquilizers and take it everyday due to a panic disorder.
I am not curious of what the medication actually contains, and I would not know even if I were told of the contents.
For BOM, she only knew the medication she had been taking for years was not handled in South Korea,
but did not have the knowledge that it is prohibited for import.

Since she was informed of the fact 4 years ago during the investigation,
she replaced the medication to one that is prescribed by a university-affiliated hospital in South Korea.

I had not seen BOM for a while since she was busy with the World Tour,
And just last night she came into the office for recording, and the articles were published.
I had to watch BOM break into tears all night,
and I feel terrible that I am in the position
to bring up her painful past that she did not want to reveal.

I extend my deepest apology for causing any worries
And would like to humbly conclude my explanation.

I will be back with better news in the near future. Thank you.

2014. 07 .01
Yours sincerely,
YANG HYUN SUK

Pendulum

Yesterday's was better. This isn't bad, but the first 5 seconds had me picturing the opening titles for a 1980's South Korean police tv show.

Kara project spoiler:
they took flopji, Kara is dead. RIP

Well then.
Whoever was pushing for her via the fan votes - because she was lacking each time on the judge votes - got their wish [doublespoiler]fuck you[/doublespoiler]. And by that percentage in the 6th? [triplespoiler]fuuuuuuucccckkk youuuuuuu[/triplespoiler] I only hope Somin and Sojin will debut in a promising group soon (i.e. get out of DSP, girls!) and without the other Baby KARA members

---

You know, that is a damn fine letter from Papa YG.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Regarding the Kara Project final:
You should have expected such a shitty result from people who were supporting a shitty idea like adding a new Kara member. I told you absolute rejection is the only reasonable response. "No new Kara member" would have got millions of votes if they had made it an option.

Pendulum

Kara project -
I feel pretty much everyone here would have preferred Kara continuing as 3. The louder parts of the fanbase were saying the same thing when this show was announced. My ire right now rests with the fact that DSP had a couple of pretty decent trainees in that show and now I suspect they'll be misused or tossed aside - I would have preferred one of them to be given this forced-upon-us lifeline. But when has DSP ever made a good decision in the last 4 years?

Pendulum

Running Man 202 -
I think episodes revolving around MC Yoo could be quite fun (him interfering in things, etc), but this one fell a bit short of that bar (compared to the last one with JYP/YG/MYSTIC89). Glad to see the same guests returning for a (what looks to be a) more active episode next time.

Peru

BoA JP train keeps rolling.. new ending theme for drama Suiyo Mystery 9

■ Title「FLY」
■ Song, Lyrics, Composition:BoA
■ Arrangement:Jeff Miyahara & Takashi Fukuda
■ Label:avex trax

Top Bottom