• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kathy Griffin to hold press conference to address bullying from Trump family

She shouldn't bother. She shouldn't have apologized. It was a violent image, but no more obscene than what you see if you flip on TNT in the middle of the day and Supernatural is on or something like that. On the spectrum of perceived offense, it shouldn't come close to an act like admitting to be a sexual predator. Bullies run on attention, I feel like this gives them too much of what they crave.

SaviourMK2

mnw147.jpg

Is that a real shirt?

RPGCrazied

I'll agree, it was tasteless, but Trump should get NO free pass on that front. I mean seriously, the guy admitted to sexually assaulting a woman, lets not forget him making fun of a disabled person. He is pure scum.

And Trump tried using his own son as a shield. Why even bring him up on twitter? You put him on the national stage. You should have just kept your mouth shut. This is on you.

Madness

It's not bullying that they spoke out, it's "bullying" that he sent the secret service to harass her over it.

Really that's more terrorism than anything.

Secret Service always investigates or gets sent. They did it to Eminem over his lyrics when Bush was President in one of his songs, they investigated Nugent during the Obama presidency and you can be sure they would be sent when you pretend to hold a severed head of the sitting US President.

Everyone saying that because it is Trump it is alright is ignoring he is the 45th President of the United States, this would and should not ever be tolerable. What did Kathy expect? There was even video showing her laughing and expecting all this, "should I have to move to Mexico". You cannot just expect context to change because there is an asshole for President. It is about the office and not the man.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ying-from-the-trump-family-at-presser-friday/

This article does include some frank talk of how as a comedian she has gone after people like Palin's kids etc. This just feels like a last desperate attempt to paint herself as a victim now that CNN fired her, venues cancelled and sponsors dropped her. And yet she knew this would happen. In a world where even the President of France is trolling the US President, we don't need these types of stunts to bring awareness to who he is.

Just because they did it to a person you don't like doesn't make it ok. There are lines and she clearly not only crossed it - she stomped on it while she was crossing it.

This always happens. From Richard Spencer to Milo to Roger Ailes to now. People keep framing this as striking at someone who is simply "not well liked". Here's the thing: This did happen with Obama many times over. People made effegies of him. Burned dolls with his face. Tied nooses around his neck. Compared him to an ape. Photoshopped his face onto Osama's. And on and on. Privately & Publicly. It was nationwide, stoked by the lies of "news outlets" and reality TV billionaires. It was the background noise to Obama's tenure as president and as a black man myself, it was boring from the moment it started because it was a refrain repeated throughout US history in regards to minorities. Many people crossed the line multiple times over and went on to continue their careers. And the thing is, it was all borne out of bigotry, hatred, white supremacy and fiction.

Here though we have a situation in which Trump, his administration, and the GOP have declared war on the American people. They are not just unliked, but active, powerful harmful forces on the national stage. They have made it obvious that their purpose in life is to destroy those who don't meet their standards, not through lampooning gruesome pictures but fatal and cruel policy. They have laughed in the face of science, stomped on civil rights, and smiled right in the faces of American citizens as they decided to sentence many of them to death and financial ruin. This is no longer a similar situation to Obama. Taking Kathy alone: Trump has not only declared her worthlessness as a women just by his very behavior from his jokes about beauty standards to his bragging about sexual assault but has demonstrated it clearly through policy that seeks to strip her of autonomy over her own body. That was the crossed line that matters most in this situation. That is the line that pushed her to fire back. People are free to call it tasteless, sick, warped or violent but in the end it's just a photo in the face of an administration that seeks to make their own tasteless and sick world view publicly known and treat the American people in a warped and violent fashion. Trump OK'd acts like these the moment he decided to use his power for the abuse of the disenfranchised. Even more from the moment he fanned the flames of bigotry and hatred toward "the other" in this country from the start of his campaign. I have ZERO sympathy for Trump in this situation. Or Ivanka, Melania, Jared. Barely even Barron because the Trump family has already shown it's ready to use any scapegoat it can to garner sympathy while they perform despicable thoughtless acts. Kathy does not need to apologize and if she "deserves" to have her reputation and career damaged, then such must first come to the Trump dynasty who kicked off this game and whose influence is much more far reaching and damaging.

akira28

The secret service investigates threats to the president. They paid her a visit. People think that Trump sent them.

Actually I'm expecting more things on the back end and sides. A secret service visit isn't scary, they just interview you. I get the impression that Eric and Donny Jr are making phone calls and working the networks to impress daddy and make sure the bad lady "never works again".

LogicAirForce

Neo Member
This always happens. From Richard Spencer to Milo to Roger Ailes to now. People keep framing this as striking at someone who is simply "not well liked". Here's the thing: This did happen with Obama many times over. People made effegies of him. Burned dolls with his face. Tied nooses around his neck. Compared him to an ape. Photoshopped his face onto Osama's. And on and on. Privately & Publicly. It was nationwide, stoked by the lies of "news outlets" and reality TV billionaires. It was the background noise to Obama's tenure as president and as a black man myself, it was boring from the moment it started because it was a refrain repeated throughout US history in regards to minorities. Many people crossed the line multiple times over and went on to continue their careers. And the thing is, it was all borne out of bigotry, hatred, white supremacy and fiction.

Here though we have a situation in which Trump, his administration, and the GOP have declared war on the American people. They are not just unliked, but active, powerful harmful forces on the national stage. They have made it obvious that their purpose in life is to destroy those who don't meet their standards, not through lampooning gruesome pictures but fatal and cruel policy. They have laughed in the face of science, stomped on civil rights, and smiled right in the faces of American citizens as they decided to sentence many of them to death and financial ruin. This is no longer a similar situation to Obama. Taking Kathy alone: Trump has not only declared her worthlessness as a women just by his very behavior from his jokes about beauty standards to his bragging about sexual assault but has demonstrated it clearly through policy that seeks to strip her of autonomy over her own body. That was the crossed line that matters most in this situation. That is the line that pushed her to fire back. People are free to call it tasteless, sick, warped or violent but in the end it's just a photo in the face of an administration that seeks to make their own tasteless and sick world view publicly known and treat the American people in a warped and violent fashion. Trump OK'd acts like these the moment he decided to use his power for the abuse of the disenfranchised. Even more from the moment he fanned the flames of bigotry and hatred toward "the other" in this country from the start of his campaign. I have ZERO sympathy for Trump in this situation. Or Ivanka, Melania, Jared. Barely even Barron because the Trump family has already shown it's ready to use any scapegoat it can to garner sympathy while they perform despicable thoughtless acts. Kathy does not need to apologize and if she "deserves" to have her reputation and career damaged, then such must first come to the Trump dynasty who kicked off this game and whose influence is much more far reaching and damaging.

exactly this. I can't believe people are acting like Obama never dealt with anything like this. He didn't deserve any of the hate he got but he still dealt with it like an adult. Trump and his family have brought all of this upon themselves, but now they are crying like children. They are the most pathetic family in the country, maybe even the whole world.

That's a pretty dumb image and the difference between those things is fairly obvious in regards to this controversy.

If Ted Nugent had held a severed head of Obama shit would have hit the fan too.

exactly this. I can't believe people are acting like Obama never dealt with anything like this. He didn't deserve any of the hate he got but he still dealt with it like an adult. Trump and his family have brought all of this upon themselves, but now they are crying like children. They are the most pathetic family in the country, maybe even the whole world.
100% true but who is acting like Obama didn't go through shit? He was literally the most 'attacked' President of our time.

Is that a real shirt?

Yes

Yeah, I got pretty disgusted in the last thread. Amazing how many on the left are just willing to lay down and get trampled over. It's sad.

WoolyNinja

Trump is a bully - he made that obviously clear many times and people should be upset about it.

However, fighting a bully by doing the same things you dislike about them is not the answer and it just makes you as bad as they are. It makes you a bully.

Take Samantha Bee for example, loved her show - but its turned into a non-stop Trump name calling extravaganza. Name calling is one of the things she disliked about Trumps campaign so why is it ok for her to do it? As the old saying goes "two wrongs don't make a right"

Back on topic - Joking about someone getting murdered in any way is wrong and I think apologizing was the right move, but with this press conference she's making it clear she's not sorry and just wants publicity and is no better than Trump.

The idea that D-list comic Kathy Griffin "bullied" President of the United States Donald Trump is insane. She made a tasteless political joke. It might have hurt Barron's feelings but so would just about every other thing that's being reported about Trump and most of his public actions.

That's a pretty dumb image and the difference between those things is fairly obvious in regards to this controversy.

If Ted Nugent had held a severed head of Obama shit would have hit the fan too.

100% true but who is acting like Obama didn't go through shit? He was literally the most 'attacked' President of our time.

What? Ted Nugent threatened the president and called for him to be killed.

He was rewarded with a WH and Oval Office visit this year.

Trump is a bully - he made that obviously clear many times and people should be upset about it.

However, fighting a bully by doing the same things you dislike about them is not the answer and it just makes you as bad as they are. It makes you a bully.

Take Samantha Bee for example, loved her show - but its turned into a non-stop Trump name calling extravaganza. Name calling is one of the things she disliked about Trumps campaign so why is it ok for her to do it? As the old saying goes "two wrongs don't make a right"

So, basically, lay down, shut up, and take it like a nice liberal on their moral high ground. Okay, I'm sure that'll start working for us someday soon

Ted Nugent was invited to the White House to spend time with the President a few weeks ago and took a photo in front of Hillary's painting.

In case you all forgot about Ted Nugent, here's his comments from 2007:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-clinton-during-vicious-onstage-rant-20070824

Decked out in full-on camouflage hunting gear, Nugent wielded two machine guns while raging, "Obama, he's a piece of shit. I told him to suck on my machine gun. Hey Hillary," he continued. "You might want to ride one of these into the sunset, you worthless bitch." Nugent summed up his eloquent speech by screaming "freedom!"

OmegaFax

It's an extreme but her actions don't warrant an apology. She isn't threatening anyone. What she did is symbolic speech and should be protected under the 1st amendment.

Some people may disapprove or disagree with how she went about it. Some things aren't meant to be funny. I believe that the actions of the President should be taken critically. Maybe she wasn't trying to be funny but critical. She wasn't doing anything as damning as Trump encouraging people to shoot Hillary during the campaign or the Trump sons holding up a dead animal in one of their game hunting expeditions (Ricky Gervais posted that pic a little earlier today).

WoolyNinja

So, basically, lay down, shut up, and take it like a nice liberal on their moral high ground. Okay, I'm sure that'll start working for us someday soon

There has to be a better middle ground than either becoming what we dislike about Trump or "lay down, shut up ..."

If a person feels so strong about it that they're resorting to photos with a decapitated Trump, how about instead using that energy to become active in politics so that in a few years you can actually make a real difference?

This is an extreme example but if every celebrity who's resorted to Trump tactics would instead run for office they'd probably win their election (people love voting for celebrities) and would basically take over the government and could do what they thought was right.

eagledare

My wife and I are big Municipal Waste fans/Trump haters. We both have this shirt and actually used to wear it out during the primaries, when it was first released. We're in the South so there's no way in hell either of us would wear it out now for fear of irrational repercussions by Trump nuts.

Heck I don't even know why anyone would even attempt to use the phrase "two wrongs don't make a right" as though both wrongs are equal or the two individuals are even on the same playing field. Any "wrongs" from Bee's name calling as a damn comedian are nothing in the face of the unfiltered, inconsiderate and sometimes outright dangerous statements that the President of the United States makes.

There has to be a better middle ground than either becoming what we dislike about Trump or "lay down, shut up ..."

If a person feels so strong about it that they're resorting to photos with a decapitated Trump, how about instead using that energy to become active in politics so that in a few years you can actually make a real difference?

This is an extreme example but if every celebrity who's resorted to Trump tactics would instead run for office they'd probably win their election (people love voting for celebrities) and would basically take over the government and could do what they thought was right.

Are they not entitled to do both as citizens? Someone making an extreme statement and releasing it as a photo doesn't preclude them from being politically active. Also why mention your extreme example at all? We have reality. Kathy is not a politician and Trump is with massive amounts of influence and power that he has, is and will continue to use for actual tangible damage.

Koomaster

Just what we need, more fucking celebs running for office.

She used her energy to make that photo; she uses her energy to speak out. It's a fucking statement and apparently some people can't deal with it because I guess pretend violence is wrong as if we haven't glorified it every single day in this country.

Give me a break. The picture was perfectly fine, the bitching over it by the public and the apology was what was wrong here.

It's all bad. Holy crap how can people defend this?

Both ends of the spectrum have lost all sense of logic and decency. We're living in weird and scary times when we can defend the death of a person we don't agree with.

ISIS, Warlords and Extremists do that shit. She's doing what she actually fears. It's a vicious circle.

eagledare

Both ends of the spectrum have lost all sense of logic and decency. We're living in weird and scary times when we can defend the death of a person we don't agree with.

ISIS, Warlords and Extremists do that shit. She's doing what she actually fears. It's a vicious circle.

There's a difference between what Kathy did and what's happening in those other pictures. Kathy is a comedian who relies on shocking imagery. I'd say that's a big part of why she created such a graphic image. I wouldn't hang it on my wall, but it's still protected by free speech. Now she'll deal with the repercussions of using her free speech creating that image, which have already been pretty severe (e.g. her firing from CNN).

Those Obama images play on a history of racial atrocities for which most of our citizens are working to make amends. To me they don't just say "I hate this President", like Kathy's image, to me those images say "I hate this President because he's black, and we should hang him like we did with all the other black people we didn't like way back when". Also, those images were circulated mostly by anonymous cowards; no one had their face in those pictures like Kathy did.

Tovarisc

More Griffin shows canceled, Franken dis-invites comedian
Backlash against Kathy Griffin continues to grow with at least four theaters announcing Thursday that they had canceled her performances after the comedian posed with a likeness of President Donald Trump’s severed head.

Venues in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania canceled November shows. The Community Arts Theater in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, posted on its website that the show had been dropped “due to the recent controversy surrounding Kathy Griffin and the concern for the safety and security of our patrons and staff....”

Sen. Al Franken also dis-invited Griffin from an event promoting his new book, “Giant of the Senate.”

“After hearing from many Minnesotans who were rightfully offended, I’ve come to the conclusion that it would be best for her not to participate in the event we had previously scheduled,” the Minnesota Democrat said Thursday, a day after he had said she was still welcome. “I understand why Minnesotans were upset by this, and I take that very seriously.”
https://apnews.com/ce498be6d6ca4688...utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APEntertainment

Guess I've got a new fav band

Municipal Waste is some great crossover thrash. \m/

Is that a real shirt?

Yup! http://www.jsrdirect.com/bands/trump-walls-of-death-t-shirt

My wife and I are big Municipal Waste fans/Trump haters. We both have this shirt and actually used to wear it out during the primaries, when it was first released. We're in the South so there's no way in hell either of us would wear it out now for fear of irrational repercussions by Trump nuts.

I've debated getting the shirt since they first started printing them. I settled on a less offensive one for the time being.

What sort of reactions did you get while out?

aajohnny

People here are condoning a picture of a fake beheading? What the hell is wrong with you people? I don't care if you hate him/love him whatever.... I get that, but that's like ISIS type shit. Barbaric.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Those groups you mention kill real people, not stand around with prop heads of a widely hated President. I find it insulting to the victims of these groups that you would even make this comparison.

People here are condoning a picture of a fake beheading? What the hell is wrong with you people? I don't care if you hate him/love him whatever.... I get that, but that's like ISIS type shit. Barbaric.

So a fake head is the same as a real person's head? I find this to a huge stretch.

People here are condoning a picture of a fake beheading? What the hell is wrong with you people? I don't care if you hate him/love him whatever.... I get that, but that's like ISIS level shit.

ISIS is an extensive organized group that actually kills people, hides their faces and participates in a multitude of terroristic and deadly acts outside of beheadings. Comparing this to ISIS is like PETA comparing chicken farming to slavery. They are not on the same level at all. They will not have the same impact at all.

Top Bottom