• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Epic says UE4 not targeted at Wii U on GTTV, Epic responds [Updated Again]

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
In previous engines, one floating ember was enough to slow performance considerably; a shower of them was impossible. With Unreal Engine 4, there can be millions of such particles

Instro

Perhaps I'm not remembering the the interview correctly, but that doesn't sound like what Capps said. Anyone have a link to that interview?

freddy

Banned
I truly despise these threads. UE4 obsession is masturbatory nonsense.
It saves on the marketing budget when you have forum posters and Geoff Keighley blowing your trumpet for you.

In previous engines, one floating ember was enough to slow performance considerably; a shower of them was impossible. With Unreal Engine 4, there can be millions of such particles

If you ask, maybe the forum admins will introduce some marquee scrolling text so your posts will stand out more.

Alex

No surprise here.

Won't affect me much though. Nintendo's games have been the only thing worth buying a Nintendo console for some time now. As long as the Wii U's 1st party lineup doesn't disappoint like the Wii did, I'll be fine.

That's where I am too. When I buy a Wii-U I'm not buying a platform for myself, I'm buying a very large dongle that's required for playing Zelda and Mario games.

As long as it's not SD blur-o-vision, that's good enough for me. With Nintendo you really have to be cool with "good enough" :lol I sort of imagine the actual hardware will be kind of what the 3DS is to the PSP, where its in the same general level of power but the 3DS has nicer IQ and shaders, etc, although clearly more diminished with the way these consoles and tech are.

1080p would be an ideal, but it ain't happening, it won't happen on the newer, stronger consoles either.

Yagharek

Personally I cant wait til all new systems and engines and so on are unveiled and understood. At least then we will have a better handle on how multiplatform support might go. Different inputs like next gen kinect/move/tablets etc might have a bigger influence than graphics engines.

Who knows. Exciting times in any case.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Last E3:

"lol, games footage looks worse than current-gen"

Four threads ago, positive Wii U news:

"people seriously thought the Wii U wasn't at least more powerful than PS360? How much more powerful is the question, not next-gen"

Three threads ago, negative Wii U news:

"people expected the Wii U to be more powerful than PS360? My iToaster will be more powerful than Wii U"

Two threads ago, ambiguous Wii news:

"people expected X? Ah! it's maybe about on par with PS360, probably worse. Weakass CPU is confirmed."

Today:

"LOL U"

Rinse and repeat.
I sure hope we won't have another 5 years of this shit, replacing the LOL WAGGLE of yesteryear. If the engine is scalable enough Wii U will run it, but it's not the end of the world is that doesn't happen as crazy as that sounds. i expect the Wii U to have a nice 5 years lifecycle plus maybe one year on life support, and UE4 titles won't start to come out until probably 3 years from now. Having CRY Engine 3 ready could also mean that this time UE titles won't be as prominent, and will still see plenty updated UE3 titles coming out next-gen.

Aguila

#ICONIC
You guys should just wait until Epic actually says this themselves before making assumptions.

Oh, and the question was: "Can you hint if the Wii U will be able to run UE4?"
Geoff said "no" (he can't hint) but he added that it will run UE3

;)

"Epic has redefined gaming before, and with Unreal 4 the company is doing it again."

Conor 419

Banned
Whilst I cannot understate what'll likely be an extremely important engine, I find it hard to believe that Geoff would just be able to reveal its availability on the Wii U...just like that.

I'll wait until the end of E3, I advise the chums do the same.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
MULTIPLE PARTICLES?!?!?!
0033t8jp9.jpg

Risgroo

Bah, very dissappointing, but expected. I'll still buy the Wii U, but not at launch, I'm thinking of waiting a year or two until the library builds up. Looking back, the Wii and Gamcube have amazing libraries built up over time, it's just painful having to sit through the droughts.

Bah, very dissappointing, but expected. I'll still buy the Wii U, but not at launch, I'm thinking of waiting a year or two until the library builds up. Looking back, the Wii and Gamcube have amazing libraries built up over time, it's just painful having to sit through the droughts.

That's going to be my move as well. Ill wait till it gets a couple Mario's, a new Zelda, and a price drop and then Ill swoop in like a eagle on that ish.

I'll eventually buy the Wii U but it wont be right away unless I'm shocked by it at E3. I mean 2d topdown zelda, 2d Mario, great 3rd party support, etc. its unfortunate that criticizing Nintendo in any way, shape, or form equates to being a Nintendo hater according to the fanboys. Very unfortunate.

Neo C.

I'm relieved with what Keighley said. Statements like this keep the crazy fans in check. For the next two years, only UE3 and other current middlewares matter anyway. This "news" doesn't change my intention to buy the Wii U day one.

I've never understand the obsession with UE4. Sure, it can decide the direction of next gen, and Epic has been a big player since this gen. But we can't be sure whether it's going to be more or less relevant for next gen development than UE3. What if other companies have better and more scalable engines/middlewares?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Very disappointing if this is true. I'm still interested in the device though, even if mainly for the awesome potential of the tablet controller.
But if it's not getting any 3rd party games, it means that I probably won't invest in one anytime soon. I can't imagine missing out like that.

The Gahiggidy Scale™ shall be how all future hardware is evaluated.

I'm already writing a formal request to add it to the International System of Units. The Nobel-prize will be in the mail shortly.

Hopefully the Wii U will have the support that the 3DS has <3 the 3DS. Even bought two of them :D i'd love nothing more than to be led to do the same for Wii U but third party games are required. Its why UE4 is so important.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Totally inline with my expectation on the performance of WiiU.

Hiltz

That's disappointing news but I'll be fine with UE3 graphics. After all, if Wii only owners like myself didn't have a problem playing Wii quality games, then the leap to UE4 will be a piece of cake to deal with. Of course, it still puts Wii U's future third-party support into question. It can't be as bad as thee Wii's, right !?

pottuvoi

Banned
Was surprised by that myself. Epic could have some downgraded version down the line though.
They already have a UE3 for machines like Ps360-U and Ipads.

Downgrading a version of UE4 might not be easy as it has been developed strictly for future hardware and to be used for next 5-10 years.

Totally inline with my expectation on the performance of WiiU.

I still think it will be more powerful than your estimation but man, I'm sorry for accusing you of being a Nintendo hater if I indeed was guilty of that. Had it done recently from a few folks for criticizing nintendo. People really should t have such emotional attachments to corporations where they feel the need to defend said organization in the face of legitimate criticism.

as ive said before, everything suggests to me that the wii U is a stop-gap console with a true next-gen leap being released 3/4 years from now.

wii U just makes no sense otherwise.

Well that's a shame... does this mean the Wii U isn't that powerful then?

This is totally normal. The Unreal Engine 4 is meant for next generation tech, and by next gen I am talking about the tech that will be out in 2014. I am not expecting to see the Uneal Engine 4 to used in games before 2014.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I still think it will be more powerful than your estimation but man, I'm sorry for accusing you of being a Nintendo hater if I indeed was guilty of that. Had it done recently from a few folks for criticizing nintendo. People really should t have such emotional attachments to corporations where they feel the need to defend said organization in the face of legitimate criticism.

I love Nintendo. Have had every single console since SNES. And still expecting to pick up a WiiU depending on price. Which I think is going to outrageously expensive considering performance.

Top Bottom