• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Pereira Leaving Attack of The Show

BurntPork

Banned
The only bad thing about this and Adam is that it means no E3 coverage worth watching on TV. Looks like I'm stuck with my shitty washed-out laptop screen. :/

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I hope there is an actual video game channel now. Sometimes I just want to chill and watch something on games not being online clicking and stuff. G4 is so wack now its just cops,campus pd and some good movies every now and then. But gosh what happen to the days when I used to just chill on the couch and for hours watch..cheats,xplay,electric playground,cinematics,icons and all that other good shit. What happened man..what the fuck happened.

i could watch cinematech for hours. there was something about it that had me hooked.

Patryn

The only bad thing about this and Adam is that it means no E3 coverage worth watching on TV. Looks like I'm stuck with my shitty washed-out laptop screen. :/

At this point, will they even try to air the press conferences and really cover E3, or just cede that coverage to Spike?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Captain Immy to return?! LickMySweaty.com revived?!

I hope so.

Watch it on your PS3 or 360.

Patryn

I think a suggestion made in the Sessler thread is probably accurate. I'm guessing they're cutting costs to position the network for sale to somebody else (probably the WWE, who have been trying to launch a network for a while now).

At this point, G4's only value is its carrier coverage.

No more daily Sara Jean Underwood? :(

AotS is still continuing (for now), just without Kevin.

Hiltz

I suppose Adam Sessler is the only person I remotely have any respect for, but that's not saying much.

Kevin Pereira's an egotistical jokester. I never found his sense of humor to be amusing.
Morgan Webb's such a cynical and narrow-minded harpy.
Olivia Munn was alright but kind of forgettable.
Adam Sessler's mannerisms are fairly annoying and he looks like a man-child.

I haven't watched G4 in a long time, so I'm not familiar with the other hosts and correspondents.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I actually liked Kevin when he first started on AotS. It felt like as time went on, he got a bit obnoxious, but maybe that's just nostalgia goggles. Either way, if G4 wasn't dead before, it's definitely dead now. Just wrap it up and kill it already.

Flavius

Get it the fuck off the air...but before you do, take a week or two and play the old stuff that was so much fun, like Icons/Gamemakers, Cinematech, and Portal.

I can remember the good ole days, back when I'd turn the channel on in the morning, and just leave it running in the background all day long.

Hiltz

I don't know. G4 may be like a hydra - cut off one head and another grows back. Someone needs to cauterize the wounds after to ensure it won't be resurrected.

fates

Can't say I really care.

Kevin always rubbed me the wrong way. Around when Attack of the Show was getting ready to kick off, he constantly threw himself into X-Play, every appearance reeked of "HEY GUYS AM I COOL YET". And when his show finally did start, he always appeared disingenuous on it.

Talon

I believe the word "mousy" existed for this fellow.

Anyways, so now all they have is that creepy guy, Morgan Webb, and a handful of ex-Playmates?

Dyno

Let's be fair. Watching drunk college kids getting into trouble is good television.

No, it's actually a depressing reminder of an emerging police state.

Kevin was alright. Some times funny, some times he came off like a carpet-bagger with regards to video games. As an interviewer he still needs work. He got pretty well owned by Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller) during an interview. He should not have crossed wits with a dude who cut his teeth on the Vegas circuit.

plc268

http://twit.tv/

I'm hoping for an all Candace Bailey and Sara Underwood AOTS now.

The problem is, twit is just so damn dry and boring. Yea it has some of the old TechTV crew, but it really feels like they cater more to Leo's demographic... the old guy.

I prefer the Revision3 stuff like Tekzilla anyway, as that is more close to what TSS was back in the day. Besides, I always like Patrick Norton more than Leo anyway.

But what really kills all the tech podcasts, is that they mainly just regurgitate what shows up on tech blogs. It feels like nowadays they create very little "original" programming, and I miss that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
It's a shame we don't have an actual gaming channel. It wouldn't be amazingly hard to program. You'd air E Sports, reviews, news, and interviews. There's so many games that come out, that there wouldn't be too many gaps in programming. And if there are, that's why you have competent editors to discuss gaming. Somehow ESPN has enough content to fill like ten channels, but a billion dollar industry can't program more than 2 hours a day.

Edit: happy that Kevin is getting out. He needed to.

kevin pereira was definitely the keystone of the remaining G4 staff...

except that channel hasn't been good since at least 2006.

Curufinwe

G4 was kind of a real gaming channel for a while there in the middle part of the decade. Icons, Cheat, Arena, X-Play, AotS, CinemaTech...

Patryn

It's a shame we don't have an actual gaming channel. It wouldn't be amazingly hard to program. You'd air E Sports, reviews, news, and interviews. There's so many games that come out, that there wouldn't be too many gaps in programming. And if there are, that's why you have competent editors to discuss gaming. Somehow ESPN has enough content to fill like ten channels, but a billion dollar industry can't program more than 2 hours a day.

It's difficult to find an audience, because you're covering a medium that is directly competing with you.

After all, why would an audience watch you cover gaming for long stretches of time when they could be gaming instead?

Man, first Sessler now this? Pereira was a fun host and will be missed. My favorite AotS sketch was the one where the crazy Batman Begins guy keeps stalking him around the office. "Say 'I swear to God." Pereira: "Uh ok, I swear to God..." SWEAR to ME! lol

EYEL1NER

Well hell. I haven't watched G4 regularly since 2006. The only reason I turn to it now is to occasionally watch Ninja Warrior or Campus PD.
But I used to like Kevin P. Used to is the key though. I liked him a lot but after being overseas and not watching AOTS for a while, after tuning in again he just seemed like he became a big douche. I mean, he was always a little bit of a douche, but I tried watching again and he just came off like a big asshole.
Good on him for leaving now I guess, before G4 gets any more worse.

Man I miss Tech TV. Especially Screen Savers.
And Sarah Lane....ah, Sarah Lane.

I know we are only supposed to hate here but I actually liked Kevin on the Show. Not sure where his personality fits on another show. Wish I had half that guys wit.

Apdiddy

The problem is G4 seemingly thinks gaming revolves around E3 (or that's all they have in their budget to do). Which it does and doesn't at the same time. They also (and this disturbs me) seems to have pigeonholed their audience in liking a particular types of game or their editorial content is geared towards those games (i.e. the whole argument over G4 being biased against PS3/biased against 360, giving Call of Duty games accolades every year, their hatred of Wii games & handhelds, etc.). The problem is every review site has a similar complaint lodged, but G4 (and X-Play) has that happen a lot.

Still, it can't be that tough to do programming about conventions and trade shows like PAX East & Prime, Tokyo Game Show or GDC, shows about retro games (some of the Youtube people out there have very good videos that are interesting and almost TV-worthy), or 'behind the scenes' at development houses -- something like the Youtube video of Jak & Daxter HD with the founders of Naughty Dog would be interesting.

The Lamp

I loved the chemistry between him and Munn. It's too bad those days are gone.
I never really liked AOTS for anything useful, I just thought it was entertaining to watch.

plc268

Somehow ESPN has enough content to fill like ten channels, but a billion dollar industry can't program more than 2 hours a day.

Uh... it's pretty big difference. Have you ever even watched ESPN?

1. They show live sports. Currently Baseball is in season... they have no shortage of games to show there.
2. The sports recap shows (sportscenter) are an hour long and perpetually repeat throughout the day.
3. They have several different opinion shows where a couple of sportswriters argue and talk about the day's sporting events. There's a couple more hours of programming to rerun throughout the day.

That's ESPN in a nutshell. I highly doubt most gamers would be interested in watching something like tailored to games (I wouldn't). There's already plenty of video being released on a regular basis (gametrailers, giantbomb, etc) that's practically commercial free/limited commercials and on demand.

Top Bottom