• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Pereira Leaving Attack of The Show

The Lamp

“I plan to turn my attention to full-time with my production company Super Creative and live touring nerd-carnival leetUP," Pereira said.

Wow, it's like the company name is a sarcastic pun itself.

LQX

Who the fuck is going to host the E3 TV broadcast? Maybe they will go to some of the internet guys.

Hiltz

I thought Tommy Tallarico was kind of a douchebag on Electric Playground. There was just something about him I didn't quite like. I didn't know he was a video game music composer until about a year after I started watching G4 .Also, he happens to be Steven Tyler's cousin. Surprise. Surprise.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I can't believe they are giving him a big send off and not sessler. This just confirms to me that Sess had a big falling out with company.

Oh well. Hopefully someone else picks up the right to broadcast the E3 conference on TV next year.

HylianTom

Banned
They also (and this disturbs me) seems to have pigeonholed their audience in liking a particular types of game or their editorial content is geared towards those games (i.e. the whole argument over G4 being biased against PS3/biased against 360, giving Call of Duty games accolades every year, their hatred of Wii games & handhelds, etc.). The problem is every review site has a similar complaint lodged, but G4 (and X-Play) has that happen a lot.

Yes. You can't help but notice, and in doing so, they alienate huge portions of the gaming audience, which is a stupid, stupid proposition. The audiences that they (and websites with similar approaches) alienate then seek content elsewhere.

If G4 disappears, I will miss them not one bit.

jbttwin

I'd guess that Blair Herter's probably going to host X-Play now...so who's going to have to deal with Candace Bailey for an hour of live television every day?

Flavius

Uh... it's pretty big difference. Have you ever even watched ESPN?

1. They show live sports. Currently Baseball is in season... they have no shortage of games to show there.
2. The sports recap shows (sportscenter) are an hour long and perpetually repeat throughout the day.
3. They have several different opinion shows where a couple of sportswriters argue and talk about the day's sporting events. There's a couple more hours of programming to rerun throughout the day.

That's ESPN in a nutshell. I highly doubt most gamers would be interested in watching something like tailored to games (I wouldn't). There's already plenty of video being released on a regular basis (gametrailers, giantbomb, etc) that's practically commercial free/limited commercials and on demand.

You could make an argument that G4 already tried that approach once, and failed. The old Pseudo/AGN guys that came over not only had the chops and knew what they were talking about, they know how to host and had the skills necessary to be a broadcast personality. All of the others were good-looking peeps who didn't really understand games and gaming culture (save for Judgment Day, which was just an outlet for guys already doing a videogame-based tv show).

Whether it be because they didn't give it the time necessary to build an audience, or because they weren't willing to fully invest in the concept, it never came together. And I have no idea what the mindset was prior to the acquisition of TechTV (beyond purchasing its audience), but seems like they may have gone in with one idea in mind, but because of the expense of the move, chose another path.

I'd love to see someone take another crack at it. Giant Bomb seems to be a spiritual successor of sorts...

I thought Tommy Tallarico was kind of a douchebag on Electric Playground. There was just something about him I didn't quite like. I didn't know he was a video game music composer until about a year after I started watching G4 .Also, he happens to be Steven Tyler's cousin. Surprise. Surprise.

He's weird as fuck, like a lot of peeps in this industry, but that doesn't necessarily make him a horrible person or anything. I enjoyed playing the newest XBL games with him and Victor Lucas back in the day. They were always very good to their fanbase, and I imagine still are.

Talon

It's a shame we don't have an actual gaming channel. It wouldn't be amazingly hard to program. You'd air E Sports, reviews, news, and interviews. There's so many games that come out, that there wouldn't be too many gaps in programming. And if there are, that's why you have competent editors to discuss gaming. Somehow ESPN has enough content to fill like ten channels, but a billion dollar industry can't program more than 2 hours a day.

Edit: happy that Kevin is getting out. He needed to.
You're seriously overestimating the cable television audience for video games. You're dealing with a market segment that is dramatically more tech savvy than the general public. Why would you sit in front of a TV when you can find niche content more easily by yourself?

Also, the sports industry dwarfs videogames.

ElRenoRaven

Oh wow. What the hell is going on over there? First Sesslar and now Kevin. Wonder what this means G4. Who will be next to go?

Curufinwe

Doesn't seem that long ago that Kevin was pimping Katamari Damacy on G4 every chance he got and campaigning for Namco to bring it out over here.

Wilsongt

TechTV official dead and burried. G4 doesn't deserve to be called gaming anymore. Give E3 coverage to Spike and kill the channel.

I haven't seen it in years but I remember it going down hill extremely quickly early on. The TechTV people left quickly and it transformed into something I didn't quite understand. It was a show that made me feel like a confused old man.

It basically became an hour live slice of the general noise you hear on the internet brought to your television. It was fun at times but I could never sit down and watch it regularly.

Patryn

You could make an argument that G4 already tried that approach once, and failed. The old Pseudo/AGN guys that came over not only had the chops and knew what they were talking about, they know how to host and had the skills necessary to be a broadcast personality. All of the others were good-looking peeps who didn't really understand games and gaming culture (save for Judgment Day, which was just an outlet for guys already doing a videogame-based tv show).

Whether it be because they didn't give it the time necessary to build an audience, or because they weren't willing to fully invest in the concept, it never came together. And I have no idea what the mindset was prior to the acquisition of TechTV (beyond purchasing its audience), but seems like they may have gone in with one idea in mind, but because of the expense of the move, chose another path.

Carrier coverage. G4 was started and is owned by Comcast, so it automatically got on the channel lineup for all Comcast customers. However, other carriers such as DirectTV and the like had little interest in adding a channel with a marginal viewerbase and was owned by one of their main rivals.

By purchasing TechTV, Comcast was able to then force those other carriers who didn't carry G4 but did carry TechTV to suddenly have to carry G4 after the channel merge.

It's part of why they quickly dismantled the programming of TechTV, even though TechTV was getting higher ratings. Because they didn't care about the channel, only the spot on the dial.

scitek

I stopped watching that show around the time Olivia Munn started co-hosting. Not because of her specifically but it was already pretty shitty at that point. The Screen Savers was cool, actually Sarah Lane was awesome... I was bummed when she left AOTS (or was it still Screen Savers at that point? Kevin Pereira had already started hosting)

Honestly, X-Play sucked to, I didn't even know Adam left but good for him.

Really I just loved watching G4 for COPS reruns.

You can catch Sarah Lane every week on Twit.tv. I just watched her and Amber MacArthur (from Leo's Call For Help Canada days) yesterday.

MG310

I would guess that the network isn't going to be around too much longer - hoping Leetup works out for him.

I know he's still doing E3, but I'm betting that we will get a ton of Blair,Morgan and Chobot.

I was never really a big fan of Kevin, but with the two biggest stars of G4's only legitimate shows (if you can call them legitimate) leaving the network, G4 can just finish dying already. We can just call it the COPS channel now.

Wishing the best of luck to Kevin, hope he moves on to something much, much better.

I miss TechTV sometimes.

FLEABttn

Banned
Watch it on your PS3

How's that now?

--//--

Pereira was really the last good thing on that network. Based on the AMA last month on Reddit, it sounded like he was rather displeased with how the network handled AOTS.

But I haven't had G4 in 2 some years now so no idea what it had come to since.

JGS

Banned
Since its been off Directv for years I kept forgetting G4's existence until the recent news stuff.

and then gets cancelled after a season.

Wait, did News Corp sell off IGN a couple of years ago?

I think they spun them off into a separate entity but they're still Fox owned. I'm not quite sure how it works.

They're still a division of New Corp.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Since its been off Directv for years I kept forgetting G4's existence until the recent news stuff.
Yep, can't say I miss it one bit. Even it's one redeeming feature (E3 pressers) are no longer relevant since Spike shows them and we get streams.

Top Bottom