• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Pereira Leaving Attack of The Show

causan

Only show I enjoyed and kinda missed once G4 got dropped by DirectTV was Ninja Warrior, and thats not even a gaming related show. Anyone know if Ninja Warrior is even still on?

That channel was dead when they changed the "screen savers" to attack of the show. G4 was supposed to be about gaming/computers and yet Manhunter was playing all the time. I cancelled that shit a long time ago. Plus, Spike get the rights to broadcast E3 practically every year now, so whats the point of keeping G4 alive exactly?

starmud

the merger with nbc about nailed the coffin. outside of E and some sports channels, nothing of "value" was given to nbc.

they dont need to bother with g4. the channel is so weak in ratings, whats the point of putting tons of money into a relaunch of the same brand/idea? they've been trying for a long time now.

either the channel space becomes something totally different or is closed. the plan to make the channel into a cheap spike was never that of nbc. it was a poor plan to begin with.

im not so sure how hungry nbc is to put money into a new network. outside of discovery, most of the large cable divisions have been focusing on a smaller/focused catalog. nbc has more than enough successful channels/larger channels that need their own help.

with discovery going in with revision, you'd think nbc may see some value in a nerdism channel. yet given the recent exodus, i'd guess thats not the plan.

Well, I guess I'll tune in to G4's E3 coverage one last time this year for Kevin.

He was alright: shitty on AOTS, not bad on Arena

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
the merger with nbc about nailed the coffin. outside of E and some sports channels, nothing of "value" was given to nbc.

they dont need to bother with g4. the channel is so weak in ratings, whats the point of putting tons of money into a relaunch of the same brand/idea? they've been trying for a long time now.

either the channel space becomes something totally different or is closed. the plan to make the channel into a cheap spike was never that of nbc. it was a poor plan to begin with.

im not so sure how hungry nbc is to put money into a new network. outside of discovery, most of the large cable divisions have been focusing on a smaller/focused catalog. nbc has more than enough successful channels/larger channels that need their own help.

with discovery going in with revision, you'd think nbc may see some value in a nerdism channel. yet given the recent exodus, i'd guess thats not the plan.

You've got it a little backwards here. NBC didn't merge with Comcast. Comcast acquired NBCu from GE. Meaning that controlling stake and all decisions regarding networks belongs to Comcast, not NBC.

There was a rumor way back when that G4 and SyFy would merge. Maybe this will serve as it's catalyst.

kyo27

not really a fan of his, although AOTS was the only half decent show on that network. wasn't he a fake gamer anyways? I know he occasionally mocked himself about not really being a gamer. on another note, gttv on spike is better than anything g4 has to offer.

not really a fan of his, although AOTS was the only half decent show on that network. wasn't he a fake gamer anyways? I know he occasionally mocked himself about not really being a gamer. on another note, gttv on spike is better than anything g4 has to offer.

Maybe. In the very least he was deeply embedded in geek/tech culture, which gave him a good deal of insight that most talking heads lack. I wasn't a huge fan of his either, but any replacement G4 can muster will likely be 10x worse. Morgan Webb's the only likable personality on the network now.

Fox Mulder

An entire traditional television channel dedicated to that is wasteful when the content can be done better on the web. The very audience a tech/gaming channel would target is already on the internet, the content is cheaper to produce, and the viewers usually get a more personal experience.

mjc

Looks like there isn't much left to G4 nowadays. I just hope that someone picks up Ninja Warrior if they do end up going under.

Kaizer

Banned
Man, I always liked both Adam and Kevin, there were really the only reason I was still watching G4 back when I had Comcast. With both of them gone, the channel is really dead to me now, of course it's been on its last legs for quite some time now.

It doesn't really matter now, ever since I discovered Revision3 earlier this year, the void that was made when the original TechTV & G4 programming went away has been replaced.

charsace

Good. Kevin is a funny and charismatic guy that was held back by G4.

G4 really fucked up. TechTV was really popular until G4 bought them and screwed it up.

bozeman

Looks like there isn't much left to G4 nowadays. I just hope that someone picks up Ninja Warrior if they do end up going under.

NBC was running promos for American Ninja Warrior during NHL games over the weekend. Looks like that will be a summer show for NBC this year.

FL1Psyde

Neo Member
was never a fan of Kevin's, but it seems G4 is getting ready to close up shop. I haven't watched G4 since Olivia Munn

bangai-o

Banned
i liked Attack. The web videos at the beginning, the interviews, reviews, the goofy stuff. I just hated the audience when the yell out like a bunch of fraternity douches.

Kajiba

Aots died to me layla kayleigh left.

Techtv screen saver kevin rose was probably best thing that network ever had anyway.

zroid

Banned
Wish the man well. Always thought Kevin was a really smart and amiable guy, but it seemed like the direction AOTS was increasingly taken in by the network generally did not play to these strengths.

I actually genuinely liked AOTS in the early years when it was him and Sarah Lane. Went steeply downhill after that.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Pereira was terrible, but it's good he's jumping ship while it's the cool thing to do. Who knows what G4 will turn into, but hopefully it'll die. It deserves a slow, painful death after taking away TechTV. :mad:

zroid

Banned
Pereira was terrible, but it's good he's jumping ship while it's the cool thing to do. Who knows what G4 will turn into, but hopefully it'll die. It deserves a slow, painful death after taking away TechTV. :mad:

I will continue to watch ROTR, ElecPlay and re-runs of The Office and The IT Crowd on G4TV Canada till the end of days!

Steaks

There was a rumor way back when that G4 and SyFy would merge. Maybe this will serve as it's catalyst.

This would... actually be kind of cool?

The only time I watch G4 is when GTTV has new game or trailer exclusives and I'm conveniently at home.

I'm interested to see what happens next, even if it's an implosion. IMO game based entertainment is best served through stream mediums anyway.

abundant

The only time I watch G4 is when GTTV has new game or trailer exclusives and I'm conveniently at home.

I'm interested to see what happens next, even if it's an implosion. IMO game based entertainment is best served through stream mediums anyway.

GTTV is on Spike, not G4.

Strike

G4 is not Spike, but I could see how you could make that mistake nowadays.

Trigger

So when will we get news of Morgan Webb abandoning ship? She's the only other notable person on the channel that I liked.

Moderately related sidebar - Is G4 even doing E3 this year? Usually they hype the shit out of the conferences, but I haven't been seeing much of that.

To be fair, I haven't seen much of the show recently.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
G4 finally dead with him and Adam Sessler gone?

Nah, they still have Morgan. Let's see if she has any pull but this E3 will be very interesting with Adam gone. Less so with Kevin, who just seemed to read a teleprompter and spout hype for maybe a few Nintendo/MS games.

PsychoSoldier said:
Pereia was the worst, man.

No. AotS was the worst. Issue was writers and them slapping Olivia Munn on it. When Kevin does things he wants to put his heart and soul into (see: The Gulf Oil Spill episodes/journalism) he can be really good for G4 quality.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Why these guys aired their flagship program from 7-8 pm and showed Cops and cheaters for the prime time lineup always boggled my mind. Also, I missed the Attack Stacks they used to run during late nate Saturday's. Made for good background tv for us night owls.

zroid

Banned
Why these guys aired their flagship program from 7-8 pm and showed Cops and cheaters for the prime time lineup always boggled my mind. Also, I missed the Attack Stacks they used to run during late nate Saturday's. Made for good background tv for us night owls.

Heh. Despite not liking most of their programming anymore, I still use G4TV as my de facto background channel. Old habits die hard.

M74

It's funny because he did an AMA on Reddit not too long ago where he actually had some positive things to say about the network, like how they were working on eliminating the filler programming of Cops and Cheaters reruns.

Hey, Kevin, you don't have to pretend anymore!

this thread caused me to figure out what happened to electric playground.

apparently it never died and is currently in weekly syndication on certain abc stations in the US. it's going to be daily starting sept 2012.

how the fuck is EP not on EVERY abc station?

Freyburg

Neo Member
I used to work on Lab with Leo as a host and producer and on EP as an editor and writer.

EP went daily in Canada back in 2008 (made in Vancouver and always has been).The show that airs in the US is EP Weekly up here, and there's also an EP Canada which is all Canadian stories....that last one is part of the CanCon rules up here that every show has to follow to get government funding or tax breaks.

Ask me anything else you want to know about the show, though I left in 2009 so I'm not exactly up to date.

I just found out about both him AND Sessler. (Finals. Really zoned out for a couple of weeks).

Pretty unfortunate. X-Play sucks and pretty much always has, but Sessler is clearly knowledgeable about the industry and cares about it. I think he could have made it a decent show if they had just given him some control and resources.

Hard to read into Morgan Webb, her character is written so damn condescending on x-play. I haven't seen her in much else outside of E3 coverage (Where she seems pretty cool in my book).

At some point, it feels like the channel completely gave up on X-Play and put all of their efforts into AOTS. AOTS gets all the cool trips and stuff.

Not to say that AOTS was bad, I actually think it has it's moments.

Candace Bailey is a cute girl but she seems so damn meek....clearly can't carry the program. Alison Haislip is gone. Sara Jean Underwood is just nice eye candy. Hard to imagine it without Kevin as the glue.

The biggest loss will be their E3 and comic-con coverage where everyone always seemed to come alive a bit.

Top Bottom