• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2: RTTP

Hiko

Banned
Man, over 5 years ago. Doesn't seem like much. I had just gotten my ps3 not long before and had absolutely zero experience with FPS besides Goldeneye. I was looking for games to play. And the look of this game immediately drew me in. It was just so dark, gorgeous, and stylish.

A fight against space nazis using a blend of old school/futuristic weapons and equipment all in an industrialized hellhole reminiscent of Alien 3. The art direction was absolutely on point and unlike anything I had seen before in a game.

Killzone2_Infantry_Wallpaper_2_by_yurtik.jpg

killzone-2-concept-art_160227-1600x1200.jpg

Around this time I was pretty deep into Warhawk so I was interested in large scale team multiplayer. And KZ2 was offering 32 player battles with rotating objectives and a deep class system. I had to get the game. And when I got it, it lived up to all my expectations. The shooting felt natural. No awkward ADS. Just point the gun at the target and fire controlled bursts. Hip firing done right. Oh, and that beautiful chirp. Whoever thought of that needs to be promoted to president of GG, if he isn't already.

The MP to this day is the best I've ever played. Every match was intense, ferocious, and unpredictable. It felt like an actual warzone, when other MP games feel like isolated skirmishes. It didn't matter playing with randoms because everyone was focused on the objective. There was no other BS like killstreaks or what not. People played to win and played to help the team, and there was a real sense of camaraderie. The maps are also incredibly designed for tactical play.

Just felt like reminiscing a bit about what is IMO the finest game Sony put out last gen and one that is now criminally underrated. Any Killzone 2 fans please come in and share your memories.

Oh, and the visuals. My god, the visuals. They still hold up and look as good as ever. Can't say that about any other ps3 game.

ajumq8.gif

killzone5.gif

Killzone2_E3Trailer-HD1080.gif

4lf7b5t.gif

54mis10.gif

62i6a93.gif

Gestault

I didn't care for it, outside of the fun of the mixed objectives multiplayer mode. Several patches later, the player inputs are still a mess in terms of latency, and the characters and narrative for story mode are just unappealing.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The weighty feeling of your character really set this game apart in a crowded market, it was a mistake to change this for the sequels. Atmosphere was amazing, if it had better characters and set pieces it would be one of the best FPS's ever.

Multiplayer was pretty good too

DocSeuss

I tried to RTTP a couple weeks ago. It really is one of the worst first person shooters I've ever played. Enemies that flank you but no way to tell where they are and a narrow FOV to make that worse, plus sluggish controls even if you do? Dumb.

Every death I experienced didn't feel like it was my fault. That's usually the sign of a bad game; I'm almost always feeling like my deaths in games were my fault. But not Killzone 2.

I've played, I dunno, just about every shooter in existence. Killzone 2 is one of the worst ones ever made.

The weighty feeling of your character really set this game apart in a crowded market, it was a mistake to change this for the sequels. Atmosphere was amazing, if it had better characters and set pieces it would be one of the best FPS's ever.

Multiplayer was pretty good too

Weight is in animation and sound design. Killzone just straight-up had some of the worst lag.

Havel

Easily the best Killzone game, the MP is still top notch even though not many play it anymore. Shame GG lost direction with 3 and onwards.

Sothpaw

Game is pretty trash tier. The controls are unresponsive as fuck and that is a no-no for any game, let alone an fps.

Hiko

Banned
Easily the best Killzone game, the MP is still top notch even though not many play it anymore. Shame GG lost direction with 3 and onwards.

Yeah, I don't know what happened to GG. Makes me think KZ2 was just a lucky fluke. KZ3 completely missed the point and SF seemed to go further down that line. But that's a different topic :)

YoungOne

The best Killzone game, and one of the top MP games on ps3. Such a shame they dropped the excellent gunplay this game had with 3 an onwards

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Weight is in animation and sound design. Killzone just straight-up had some of the worst lag.

The lag didn't bother me as it was a slower paced shooter. It felt heavier for a number of reasons and that is what I liked about it

Fezan

I really loved killzone 2 . one of the best FPS ever made. the best thing about killzone was bleak environments with that hit detection. Soogood.gif
2daaeiwnmpu.gif

ij3ZOeNDRod7X.gif

I want killzone 2 with new engine and removed input lag

It was packed with so much atmosphere and detail that I had never seen in a fps at that time.

Each map had it's own style and mood. It was a very rich game that was tripple A in every way. It still impresses me to this day.

The only thing that let it down was the input lag. But I got used to it after a short while.

Hiko

Banned
The lag didn't bother me as it was a slower paced shooter. It felt heavier for a number of reasons and that is what I liked about it

The other thing I really liked was how shooting skill and tactics actually mattered in this game. Because it takes quite a few shots to bring someone down, even with good aim, you have to really earn the kill. You would engage someone in combat and the winner would be the one who was the better shooter with better positioning. In other games it generally comes down to whoever sees who first wins and there's really no "encounter", so to speak.

It was graphically impressive in places, but pretty average to play. Only part I thought was cool and memorable, was when the Helghan's invaded the space station.

tookhster

This was one of the only games where the demo actually sold me on the game and made me go out to the store and buy it day one. I had never heard of Killzone or K2 before, and randomly decided to download the demo because it was newly added, and when I did my mind was blown. Felt like I was playing through a CGI sci-fi war movie, and I remember my parents watching me play it with their mouths open as well. And this was before the better looking games on PS3 like Uncharted 2 started coming out, so I hadn't really seen anything that good besides MGS4.

The actual game was pretty fun and MP was fun to mess around with at launch. I remember the campaign being frustrating at times but I liked the story and characters. Haven't touched it since then but I still think it looks great.

morpix

Yeah, I liked it, up until I had a HDD crash and lost my save right before the last boss... I consider it finished and I'm not going back and slogging through again.

Dylan

I bought this on release and really tried to like it but man, it really just felt like the same old shit with the freshest, blandest coat of paint on it. I played it to completion then sold it back asap.

The weighty controls combined with the DS3 really killed this game for me... It's a testament to the game itself that I played it for as long as I did despite feeling so hopeless with controls

Game4life

Banned
One of the best FPS of last gen. The recoil, the feedback, the multiplayer, the atmosphere. Nothing like it. I am still waiting for a console FPS that replicates this. Maybe some awesome game this gen will come.

Enosh

first game I bought when I got a ps3, loved the feel of the guns, the general atmosphere of the game (granted that power plant (or was it train?) brown thingy dragged on a bit too long), helghast design was amazing as was the sheer feeling of weight when moving

kinda hated the way the camera was a bit too far down (iirc) and that you had to hold down the triggers for cover especially given the shit ds3 triggers -.-
kz3 fixed that one, but did other stuff wrong

DevilFox

Loved it, one of the best FPS of last gen. The amount of details, the feelings of the weapons, the locations.. all great, really. I liked the enemy too, Radec was quite a challenge while Visari, his vision and the world he created were quite fascinating, even if story itself and characters were really poor written, especially Rico, so dumb..
One thing is sure, and this is probably what I liked most: it doesn't play nor look like an average FPS.

I'd really like to know why the hell they changed so much with KZ3. I actually wonder if KZ2 has been a lucky shot or if KZ3 is a misstep.

Superb MP.
The chirp is one of the best sound designs in gaming.

Playing the beta with Gaf and the collective awe we all had for first the graphics and then for the addictive multiplayer is one of my fondest memories on this forum.

One of my favorite memories in particular is Jett saying "They pulled it off, I can't believe they actually pulled it off"

Best FPS ever

Oh mannnn. This almost hurts me.

I tried hard to like this game, but I just didn't enjoy it. It was way too sluggish for me and I never felt truly in control. Even after "adjusting" to the controls, I didn't like the feel of the combat despite enemies displaying some decent AI. I love FPS games and found it massively underwhelming. I think Liberation is the best Killzone game.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Amazing game.

MP in matches where rocket spam was locked off was up there with all time most fun I've had with an FPS.

Cambridge working with Guerilla ended up in something astounding. I feel the more Cambridge pulled away from the games, the shittier they got, until they made their own with Mercenary and it was a return to greatness.

Hiko

Banned
Amazing game.

MP in matches where rocket spam was locked off was up there with all time most fun I've had with an FPS.

Cambridge working with Guerilla ended up in something astounding. I feel the more Cambridge pulled away from the games, the shittier they got, until they made their own with Mercenary and it was a return to greatness.
Cambridge worked on KZ2? I thought they just helped with graphics. Sure would explain a lot though. Out of all the sequels, Mercenary is the one that looks the most like KZ2, though I haven't played it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That fucking kill jingle in mp is still the most satisfying sound I've heard in an fps

omg this.

it was so good. I fucking loved this game. Came with my PS3 for free. Its shame K3, and Shadowfall both were boring.

Cambridge worked on KZ2? I thought they just helped with graphics. Sure would explain a lot though. Out of all the sequels, Mercenary is the one that looks the most like KZ2, though I haven't played it.

Yup they did.
Mercenary is excellent.

Deadstar

At least in the top 5 of best multiplayer shooter of last gen. The "weight" was weird at first but when you got good at it, it felt amazing. KZ3 felt like every other shooter and was really boring to me.

Strike

One of the best FPS's of last gen. I don't think any other game (Battlefield came close online) really captured the feeling and intensity of being in a middle of a warzone quite like it did. Loved the atmosphere and gunplay. It was the closest the series had been to reaching its true potential. I thought they were going to build on that with Killzone 3. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when they fixed the lag, but gutted just about everything else.

Acrylic7

Playstation's Gears of War in terms of multiplayer fun. For me and many others.

To bad they went stupid and fucked up KZ3 and SF. Cant stand shit like that.

Hiko

Banned
My favourite fps. Many hours into the mp. The market... Loved that level.

That map was so huge and well designed. So many layers too.

Also loved Helghan Industries. Actually I liked basically every map. Except maybe Visari Hammer, but even that had its moments.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I really loved killzone 2 . one of the best FPS ever made. the best thing about killzone was bleak environments with that hit detection. Soogood.gif
2daaeiwnmpu.gif

ij3ZOeNDRod7X.gif

I want killzone 2 with new engine and removed input lag

Please remake Killzone 2. For the love of god GG, ditch whatever stupid ass ideas you had with shadow fall and go back to what made Kilzone 2 so good and unique.

SAMZ

Easily the best online gaming experience I ever had in life. I wish I can go back to
2009 and do it all again. That game turned me into a gamer.

Edit. Kz2 updated with more fluid controls would be cost me a expensive uni fee.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Still a great game. Went back and beat it on whatever the hardest difficulty is recently. I know "visceral" has an unfavorable stigma attached to it, but dang, this game was visceral.

I didn't think Killzone 3 was that much worse (outside of the multiplayer which was a fustercluck), although "brutal melee" was a terribly implemented idea, and it sours me that they kept it in Shadow Fall.

I thought Shadow Fall had a seriously bad SP though, playing to none of the series' strengths. The Multiplayer was better there than in 3, but they still made a few mistakes.

Top Bottom