• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV - Demo Impressions thread (out now, free)

BadWolf

You also get a PS4 dynamic theme to go with it.

PLAYABLE CHARACTERS:
・Kyo Kusanagi / Iori Yagami / Mai Shiranui / Shun'Ei / Sylvie Paula Paula / King of Dinosaurs / Nelson

GAME MODES:
・TRAINING MODE / VS MODE / TUTORIAL MODE

raven777

anyone else getting this message when trying to download?

CnvbzZhUsAErOIQ.jpg:small

Tizoc

You can view everyone's movelists btw, as well as see the character portriats.
I tried to like Sylvie and she has wicked animations but
Burn it with fire please...

Also quick Shun'ei combo in the corner:
Jump C/D>St. C>Fwd+B>QCF+A in the air>QCB+AxxSuper

Just got my friend interested in KoF after I showed him to the Evo side tourney a couple days ago, so it's gonna be fun to not only practice and get a feel for the general flow of the game, but also run some matches

Newboi

I'm excited to try out the demo. Waiting on my new Madcatz TES+ to come in though. Well, I guess I could settle with using my HRAP v4 though for the time being.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
anyone else getting this message when trying to download?

CnvbzZhUsAErOIQ.jpg:small

Not all servers have been updated yet, give it a try in a few minutes.

You can view everyone's movelists btw, as well as see the character portriats.
I tried to like Sylvie and she has wicked animations but
Burn it with fire please...

Also quick Shun'ei combo in the corner:
Jump C/D>St. C>Fwd+B>QCF+A in the air>QCB+AxxSuper
I think that that was the actual design goal: A creepy idol.

Tizoc

Not all servers have been updated yet, give it a try in a few minutes.

I think that that was the actual design goal: A creepy idol.

bUT i DON't want a creepy idol in my KoF game!
At least her Up-Back animation is amazing :V

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
bUT i DON't want a creepy idol in my KoF game!
At least her Up-Back animation is amazing :V

On the bright side you got a Dinosaur Luchador!

Demoskinos

So not really a KoF player here can anyone explain to me why mashing LP with Mai with a bar of meter results in her automatically doing a special move that results in a 11 combo chain just for mashing one button? o_O

Xav

Played the demo... I don't like it.

The graphics whilst clean looking and very average. Everything has a generic look to it and the game has no visual indentity. A real shame considering SNK made some of the best looking 2D games ever.

The gameplay itself can be quite fun but if you've played some 2D fighters in your time, there's nothing new or unique here. Fans will enjoy it but to everyone else, you've basically already played this game.

What puts me off the most however is the overall lack of impact. All of the regular attacks feel flimsy and weak. There's no punch to any of it and nothing feels satisfying to pull off. This is a dull ass game to spectate.

I'll keep an eye out and see how the game evolves over time and how fans will respond it. Right now however, I'll stick to King of Fighters 13, Garou & Capcom vs SNK 2 for my SNK fighting game needs.

Going into King of Fighters 14, I have no idea what I've gained in exchange for losing the pretty 2D sprites and high energy fights.

... yeah I know. Sprites are expensive.

Downloaded the European version yesterday and I am very impressed. Will buy this ASAP.

Gameplay feels really good. Controls are responsive and the timing to execute moves and combos sort reminds me of KOF13, but I think it's a tad more generous with the inputs on some of the moves. I could be wrong. I am not even remotely close to the authority on these kinds of things. Reminds me of a combination of KOF13 with a little dash of Maximum Impact 2 gameplay-wise which imo is great. Seems like the 60fps looks glorious and non-fluctuating.

Admittedly, I think the graphics are pretty good considering what the earlier screenshots looked like. Definitely an improvement and even the models look more presentable than before at least from a distance. Not SF5 level or Guilty Gear level obviously, but imo it can hold it's own against other fighters.

Music is reminiscent of older KOF games, but modernized. In other words, music seems excellent so far.

Mai is back.

Characters feel like their old two dimensional selves, but brought into the 3D realm and the new characters seem fun to play so far. Mai feels really good. Better than ever imo. Sylvia can be a tad crazy, but also seem fun to play. :3

The game features the press square/weak attack several times, rush down combos reminiscent of Persona 4 Arena and Under Night in Birth, so obviously you can link some nice combos without too much trouble if you are not good at executing combos. Of course you have traditional KOF combos as well and can create some impressive chains of attacks.

Seems like you can cancel a special move, EX move or even super moves into other super moves. Looks really cool with the dramatic camera angles also. Still experimenting with this.

Demo has a adequately lengthy tutorial mode that is informative and introduces some of the new mechanics as well as the basics.

You can low jump in this game as well as high jump.

Has 3 on 3 vs mode, one on one vs mode, practice, tutorial, button configuration, volume controls, etc in the options.

I think the super bar goes up to 5 levels. Super moves take up one and if I remember correctly, you have an Ultra move or whatever that takes up 3.

Overall, very fun game and it was better than I expected. If you like the old games, you should enjoy this one as well. Definitely looking forward to this one and will be purchasing it.

ChanMan

Never really got into KoF series and don't playing fighting games like I use to but for some reason this game is appealing to me. Will try the demo later on tonight, can't wait.

Top Bottom