• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV - Demo Impressions thread (out now, free)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Is Shun'ei's name supposed to bring to mind "chuuni", that term for edgy teenagers...because he's totally that.

I had a lot of fun with the demo, I'm not a really good fighting game player but KoF I find one of the easier ones to get into and I even got down a few cancels too which always trouble me---plus King of Dinosaurs is AMAZING.

Coda

Ramon looks hype

m3oVmBL.gif

Xevren

Yea Ramon looks like a damn party. Finally tried playing the last character I havent played yet in the demo...sylvie. She seems great, honestly everyone in the demo does. Really can't wait for the release, game has me hype.

Shortcuts and buffering techniques Quick Reference

It's for XIII but applies to XIV as well.

Regarding QCF+HCB, you don't have to do the HCB. Just to QCF and then QCB.

Thanks. I'm going to spend some time in the lab getting it down. Although I shouldn't play too much until I get on my boy Geese.

Definitely dropping KoD from my lineup, though. I just don't get him. I love how he has armor on his moves, but getting in is so difficult due to his normals.

Unfortunately, I suck too much at this type of fighting game (different types of jumps done with nearly indistinguishably samey inputs? are you bonkers XD )

Otherwise I'd consider getting full version adn maining Shue-what'shisface, Angel and Kuula-waifu

Whompa02

Everything from an aesthetic view is so stiff and so ugly.

Do people like the feel of the game? Is it as stiff as it looks?

BadWolf

Nelson is just too cool.

His play feels so refined, like he has been around for years instead of being a brand new character.

Whiffing his chain moves will also probably be a big part of his game. He doesn't just whiff them but actually goes faster through them on whiff, he's basically quickly canceling from one move to the other when whiffing instead of going through the normal animation. So you can do stuff like getting a launcher by quickly whiffing a back+LP or create a chain that travels quite the distance and has a combination of lows and overheads.

Also dig the neat little touches like he can string together a bunch of LK and LP standing lights making them look like one-two combinations and then proceed into chain attacks.

His far standing jab has really good reach, reaches further than his far standing HP. Both of these I think will be very important for him to punish things that push back the opponent since he doesn't have specials that can punish at that range, For example it seems that he can punish both the first and second hits of Iori's rekka on block with nothing but his far standing jab (unless he uses an EX super etc.). This jab allows him to activate into max mode and do a quick combo.

Cross unders, double cross unders and triple cross unders feel so damn good.

Also tried a combo shown on the previous page, being able to link two EX supers in one combo is so boss.

mitchlol

I'm not exactly a fighting game savant but my first impressions were that the game felt a little stiff? I'm not bothered by the visuals but I did feel like my characters were slightly sluggish. Another thing I have issue with is that after beating the CPU I was thrown to a load screen while it loaded up the second character in their roster.... I wish it was a little more streamlined in that it just went "Round/Fight/Match 2" and immediately started. I like the pick 3 characters thing and put them in any order you choose. I think it's pretty cool but yeah the load between new characters coming out ruins it for me.

I played the dinosaur guy and liked that he was similar to Gief but the stiffness and sound design was a little off putting.

DinoKing kind of sucks.

But the demo is pretty cool. I got through the tutorial successfully, which is more than I can say for many fighting games. I guess I just lose focus when the inputs necessary for one move exceeds 6 or so directions + face buttons. So, for me, what was a breath of fresh air. Not sure what sort of implications that has for the competitive scene. Am I correct in saying that shorter combos and easier "special moves" have an adverse affect on a fighting game's overall competitive scene popularity? I can only assume that the more complex (to an extent, of course) the game, the better it is received by would-be pros and aficionados.

Agreed with you, mitchlol, on the fact that the second player has to load in sort of breaking flow and immersion. I really hope they fix that for the final release. Give me MvC-style jump-ins any day. Also, character swapping would be awesome, though I suppose this is a more methodical slower-paced slugfest compared to the Marvel vs. games.

Agreed with you, mitchlol, on the fact that the second player has to load in sort of breaking flow and immersion. I really hope they fix that for the final release. Give me MvC-style jump-ins any day. Also, character swapping would be awesome, though I suppose this is a more methodical slower-paced slugfest compared to the Marvel vs. games.

This is how traditional KOF games work. Separate rounds and the timer determines how much life you get back for the next round. Tag was in 03/XI.

qcf x2

DinoKing kind of sucks.

But the demo is pretty cool. I got through the tutorial successfully, which is more than I can say for many fighting games. I guess I just lose focus when the inputs necessary for one move exceeds 6 or so directions + face buttons. So, for me, what was a breath of fresh air. Not sure what sort of implications that has for the competitive scene. Am I correct in saying that shorter combos and easier "special moves" have an adverse affect on a fighting game's overall competitive scene popularity? I can only assume that the more complex (to an extent, of course) the game, the better it is received by would-be pros and aficionados.

Those load times aren't going away. You can't compare it to MvC because MvC is a tag game, KoF is a team game. I actually appreciate them, the load times are very short and it gives you a moment to catch your breath, which is needed against other players. If it really bugs you then play it 1v1 I guess.

As for complexity, the game is not short on that, lol. People often complain that it's too complex. But competitive worth is about hype generation and balance, and technical barrier to entry is just one of the factors that plays into that.

HotHamBoy

Everything from an aesthetic view is so stiff and so ugly.

Do people like the feel of the game? Is it as stiff as it looks?

No, not at all.

It's a far cry better than an NRS game, that's for sure. It feels like KOF should feel.

---

Meintenkun is easily my least favorite of the new characters, from what I've seen. His design is somehow equally ridiculous and bland. I hate his dumb outfit and his half-assed "sleepy" gimmick. I don't care for his lady voice or his pillow fighting.

What a snooze...

BadWolf

KOD's far standing LK is so good, combos into his command grab from almost max range and can also be used to initiate a Max combo from like a character length or more away.

Shun'ei's normal air dashes have a slight air restriction, you have to let him get a bit of air before you hit the attack button when doing the instant air version. The EX versions of the dashes have no such restriction, you can do them so low to the ground that they look like Sylvie's 'run' animation, if not lower.

HotHamBoy

But it's not a tag or VS game. The winner-stays Team Battle is what KOF is all about. In tag games the inactive characters usually gain health back and they have assists. That changes the way the game is played, changes the match-ups. In some tag games the round ends as soon as one character is KO'd. That really changes the game.

KOF's set-up is part of its identity. The ability to choose the order, but be commited to the match-ups, is key to the meta.

---

Zarina's special move is "Yellow Erruption"? MAX Yellow Erruption!?

lol

---

Are they doing DLC characters for this game? There's empty team slots on character select. I really want to see Venessa.

But the sports team should definitely come back.

Dandy J

Agreed with you, mitchlol, on the fact that the second player has to load in sort of breaking flow and immersion. I really hope they fix that for the final release.
Haha you would've hated waiting in XIII, the loading between rounds was like 4-5 seconds, whereas in the XIV demo it's 2 seconds or less.

KOD's far standing LK is so good, combos into his command grab from almost max range and can also be used to initiate a Max combo from like a character length or more away.
I'll have to mess with that, I've been using his low jab into max combos, probably one of the best things about him.

GooeyHeat

KOF's set-up is part of its identity. The ability to choose the order, but be commited to the match-ups, is key to the meta.
I wouldn't say it's that set in stone, considering that there have been mainline KOF games with tag team features in the past (KOF 2003 and XI). Still, the "traditional" way seems to be the most well-liked by fans.
Even then, loading between rounds is a separate issue anyway. There are probably technical reasons why they couldn't, but if they could get the next character in without tossing up a load screen then that would just be that much nicer.

Anyway, my personal experience with this demo: it's great, it's KOF, it's... still kinda ugly but that's okay I came to terms with that months ago. KOF movement is unique and I could understand how it could feel stiff, especially if you're picking a slower character like King of Dinosaurs and haven't mastered the four types of jumps yet. But once you work running, backdashing, hopping, and super-jumping into your game, it really opens up as probably the most flexible 2D fighter that's not based around aerial movement and air dashes (shut up, Shun'ei).

I've also noticed that, while the most optimal combos will tend to involve MAX mode activation into some EX moves and super, you can still get some hefty 2-bar damage with shorter, easier combos into level 2 supers with most characters. I hope people will focus on using the combos they can perform rather than lamenting the ones they can't.

On a final note, SNK is still the best at making satisfying super moves. There's nothing that feels better than landing Nelson's MAX Deadly Punch or Dino's MAX Super Zetsumetsu Hurricane.

HotHamBoy

I know that the NeoGeo games didn't have loading between characters because it was all loaded into the RAM.

I imagine loading all the characters into the RAM these days would make that first load time feel way too long.

Speaking of which, why do modern kof tournaments (evo?) lock the winners team order selection which allow the loser to counter pick the order?

Why not just allow orders blind pick as intended - just like when you win in the arcade, online etc. the game doesn't lock the orders, so why should anything else do it artificially (thus allowing order counter-picking)?

Never understood why locking orders for the winner makes the game fairer, I'd like to hear the rationale behind that one?

Finaika

The demo / game finally clicked with me, been enjoying this immensely.

The game's visuals is starting to look kinda beautiful to me too :O

BadWolf

Did a little testing with the half circle motion, using a stick, and only the back, down and forward directions are needed for the entire motion to register.

So instead of doing an entire half circle forward, you just need to hit those three directions.

So doing things like tapping back and then doing a QCF also gives you a HCF.

Speaking of which, why do modern kof tournaments (evo?) lock the winners team order selection which allow the loser to counter pick the order?

Why not just allow orders blind pick as intended - just like when you win in the arcade, online etc. the game doesn't lock the orders, so why should anything else do it artificially (thus allowing order counter-picking)?

Never understood why locking orders for the winner makes the game fairer, I'd like to hear the rationale behind that one?

I haven't actually ever seen such a rule, on the contrary I've often heard commentators point out that the winner is allowed to switch orders in any event. People just don't do it often.

Playing Nelson just makes me want Angel even more. :/

same tbh

I do enjoy Nelson a lot though.

I know that the NeoGeo games didn't have loading between characters because it was all loaded into the RAM.

I imagine loading all the characters into the RAM these days would make that first load time feel way too long.

Unless you had the Neo Geo CD. KOF was horrible with the load times for each fighter loading. It was just kof though because of the constant fighters changing. The carts of course were fine. I remember selling the cd because of that and going back to my Neo carts.

I haven't actually ever seen such a rule, on the contrary I've often heard commentators point out that the winner is allowed to switch orders in any event. People just don't do it often.

I think it was previous years where it was soft-enforced at stunfest and other european tourneys and past evo's for kof13. This year I saw recent stunfest footage and winners changed orders so maybe things have changed since. I watched top 8 for evo and none of the winners changed orders, so I don't know. I'll ask at SRK.

It was 100% definitely in place in some events, so the question remains why it was there in the first place.

Skunkers

Unless you had the Neo Geo CD. KOF was horrible with the load times for each fighter loading. It was just kof though because of the constant fighters changing. The carts of course were fine. I remember selling the cd because of that and going back to my Neo carts.

Yep, PSX wasn't too hot either, though I don't think they were Neo CD bad. It's been so long since I played my Saturn ports I literally don't remember, but they came with the RAM cart so assume they were pretty good..

Top Bottom