• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV - Demo Impressions thread (out now, free)

OmegaDL50

my brother who's a kof old timer thinks the gameplay's pretty slow for kof

Well that depends, what point of reference is he even using?

I play KOF 98 almost constantly, it's my go to KOF game having played it since the Dreamcast release (under the name KOF'99 Slugfest), and XIV feels a lot like that game.

If he considers 98 slow, then by that metric, XIV is "slow" as well I suppose.

gconsole

What?! Have you seen STV models in Story mode up close? They are pretty undetailed and textures are partly really blurry (at least on PS4).

Both are imo not the prettiest of their kind. :/

Hmm no that's so much different. Street Fighter intend to use cartoony/simple shader so the character looks more cartoony than realistic ( think about Kingdom Hearts ), that's why its texture and shadow look simple and can be rough in some places. It still takes some work to achieve that, not cheap method. The character modelling and facial expression overall still looks pretty good, and it blends really well with the background and everything.

KOF on the other hand looks like some knock off Chinese character model. Arguably more detail/polygon wise, but lighting and shader is none to exist. That's why it look so cheap and not as impressive.

Ryce

I'm starting to come around on the gameplay after spending more time with the demo, but you're lying to yourself if you think this looks better than SFV. SFV's modeling, lighting, and animation are leagues ahead of KOF. At best, this looks like a PS3 launch title from 2007 in 1080p. And there's nothing wrong with that -- graphics aren't everything.

I think people would be more impressed with the visuals if they zoomed in the view of the characters. Most other fighters these days have their characters bigger on screen. But i'm glad they didn't, you need a wide view of the stage for this kind of gameplay.

There's a great attention to detail in all the animations though, i would say at least SFV's equal in that department. I can't wait to see the little touches on the rest of the characters, it must have taken them forever! Some of the backgrounds have a few dodgy texture and low poly spots.. but visually they're still nicely designed.

i'm really happy with how snappy it is too, in and out of menu screens and into fights really quickly is the way an "arcade" game should be. If that was in part due to the graphics, i'd take that trade off.

Tyaren

SFV looks better.

I really don't know how Street Fighter V is supposed to be looking better... :/ Yes, KoFXIV is not a pretty game and you clearly see the developers aren't very versed with 3D graphics yet. The general artstyle also isn't very cohesive. But SFV's graphical lows are imo much worse than the lows of KoFXIV. Two screenshots by a Neogafer from the console screenshot thread:

(open in full size please.)
24762622340_2f5b73a02f_o.png

24964909441_4dcc7da9c6_o.png

The modelling, the textures, the lighting, the shadowing, the IQ... it all looks so much worse then any screen I ever saw of KoFXIV or any fighting game in the last decade for that matter actually.

OmegaDL50

The modelling, the textures, the lighting, the shadowing, the IQ... it all looks so much worse then any screen I ever saw of KoFXIV or any fighting game in the last decade for that matter actually.

SFV clearly is a step up from SF4 (which is a game within the past 10 years by the way), and KOF XIV has some improvements over SF4 as well.

But to say it doesn't look better then other games of it's genre within the past 10 years? Come on man, let's not continue this. We even got folks claiming KOF XIV looks like a launch PS3 game.

The hyperbole needs to end.

Skilletor

It's not enough that we have like 4 threads every other week talking about SF. Now we're turning the KoF demo thread into an SF thread.

GGs, Capcom.

qcf x2

lol. I have the same reaction, but only when the people who say that end up doing the dumb character begging/ "It isn't KoF if ____ isn't in it" or "I refuse to buy unless ___ is in it" that people bitch about with Street Fighter. Leave that shit on the other side.

I do miss Mary, Whip, Shingo and Shermie :-( but I have room in my LOVE HEART for new characters.

Why single out Oda?

And it's more of a system wide change with moves that get off the ground. Even Kyo's far standing HK can easily go over ground fireballs.

Remembering frionel talking about his involvement and invincible backdashes in Fatal Fury and SF4 and how he probably just loves that shit.

Worried about blowing up wake-up backdash consistently being important now. I'm talking real damage not just the kind of shit that makes people go "lol idgaf I'll just flip out anyway". Looks like really discouraging it will take hard reads using unsafe things that have juggle potential/super cancellable moves, because I'm not sure I can get people to stop doing it with just hop CD damage either. Run-up on their wake-up and punish the recovery I guess? Not a fan of that either even though I've done it before in other games when I was feeling myself.

Like I'm in training mode right now trying stuff out and annoyed that I'm even thinking about this.

BadWolf

Remembering frionel talking about his involvement and invincible backdashes in Fatal Fury and SF4 and how he probably just loves that shit.

Worried about blowing up wake-up backdash consistently being important now. I'm talking real damage not just the kind of shit that makes people go "lol idgaf I'll just flip out anyway". Looks like really discouraging it will take hard reads using unsafe things that have juggle potential/super cancellable moves, because I'm not sure I can get people to stop doing it with just hop CD damage either. Run-up on their wake-up and punish the recovery I guess? Not a fan of that either even though I've done it before in other games when I was feeling myself.

Like I'm in training mode right now trying stuff out and annoyed that I'm even thinking about this.

Don't use a low and it becomes the same as XIII.

They can just evasion roll anyway.

If they backdash in the corner and your low whiffs due to the low invincibility then they are in a worse position than in XIII since instead of just flipping out due the low they can eat a full combo.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yo' folks, once youre bored of talking about SFV you can follow DC_Kane317 and HellPockets on twitter.
They're RT'ng a bunch of KOFXIV Demo tech.

1224.gif

Man, people here still can't stop comparing fighting games to each other negatively. Like the past two pages have been dominated with this talk.

I was hoping we'd be better than this, people.

Anyway, you guys have some input tips? I keep whiffing QCF+HCBs and all that jazz on my stick. I still have a long way to go in learning it, but the timing is strict so I feel like I fail it more often than not during combos or heat-of-the-moment situations.

BlizzKrut

Banned
I really don't know how Street Fighter V is supposed to be looking better... :/ Yes, KoFXIV is not a pretty game and you clearly see the developers aren't very versed with 3D graphics yet. The general artstyle also isn't very cohesive. But SFV's graphical lows are imo much worse than the lows of KoFXIV. Two screenshots by a Neogafer from the console screenshot thread:

You clearly haven't played a single fighting game in a decade.

BadWolf

Anyway, you guys have some input tips? I keep whiffing QCF+HCBs and all that jazz on my stick. I still have a long way to go in learning it, but the timing is strict so I feel like I fail it more often than not during combos or heat-of-the-moment situations.

Shortcuts and buffering techniques Quick Reference

It's for XIII but applies to XIV as well.

Regarding QCF+HCB, you don't have to do the HCB. Just to QCF and then QCB.

Negaduck

It's never been a better time to play fighting games. I can't wait for this game to release. It's so fun. And shows so much potential with this being a new team. 14UM will be so awesome. Can't wait for another dream match.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This is the first kof that does not fully live up graphically IMO.
Even Maximum impact looked Great for that era imo.

Yeah, I agree with that. Well...2001 was kind of a let down at the time, too, though, but not in the same way.

What?! Have you seen STV models in Story mode up close? They are pretty undetailed and textures are partly really blurry (at least on PS4).

Both are imo not the prettiest of their kind. :/

SFV looks better than KOF XIV. Whether or it's due to a higher budget on the Capcom side or a lack of experience on the SNK side, I have no idea.

Fortunately this is just aesthetics and the game play is on point, which is the most important thing to me. I don't think KOF is ugly or anything, but it's clearly "budget" compared to all the other fighting games out/coming soon.

Finaika

I think you're the only one here who thinks KOFXIV looks better than SFV technically.

Artistically, its down to personal preference.

I think we'll have some time before we see the game's balance. I downgraded 13 from "plays great" to having some problems, namely marvelized comeback mechanic, tiers and death combos which can only come about with hindsight. I hope it's a big step up from 13 otherwise I'll give it a miss.

Rudiano

Banned
When you activate max mode:

- You use 1 power bar
- Your character flashes yellow
- A blue timer meter appears above your power bar showing the time left

Once the timer runs out then the character automatically exits max mode. Once they exit it they can enter it again at any time for the cost of 1 power bar.

Thanks, as a newcomer to KOF Im loving the demo

KoD is wrong

the auto-combo with 1 bar does comparable damage to a regular bnb into qcf x2 K instead of being properly ass, so you need to confirm into grab super

this is wrong

pls halp this dinosaur

1224.gif

Man, people here still can't stop comparing fighting games to each other negatively. Like the past two pages have been dominated with this talk.

I was hoping we'd be better than this, people.

I only do inputs like qcf + hcb in a super cancel, so in that case I would do the qcf special then quickly hcb and hit the button as soon as the hit from the qcf move hits.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I wonder how different other fighters would look if they released with as many characters as this game, from the most "Scratch" we've seen in a fighting game from an established franchise like a decade.

The thing that sticks out the most to me about the art of this game is that they've done a good job of making designs that feel like they could be from SNK's heyday, and also ones that look like they know games have come out since then. I honestly like a bit of design clash in my KOFs, since it is a series that takes things that have no business being together, and sticks them into the same universe.

I'm just glad we're getting something like this now, honestly. In the age of kickstarters and devs barely being able to make "classic" games for more than 20 dollars without SOMEONE crying foul, it feels nice to get a game that starts off at content over-complete.

I think it was Tsnooze on SRK who compiled as many Victory lines from the demo as he could, and found that each character has about 25 lines in this build, with no character-specific ones included yet. All voiced stuff on the victory screen. Honestly, what kind of games go through that much for such a large cast anymore? The only one I can think of that approaches such ridiculousness as a fighter is MKX.

Just feels good to look forward to a product with this kind of stuff from a JP dev.

CrazyHal

Last time I played with Kof was 7 years ago with Kof XII, one of my favorite fighters of all time. It came out the same day as Blazeblue calamity trigger. I bought both and ended up liking Kof so much more.

Anyway, this demo is pretty good I guess.

:p

SkylineRKR

Mai is great, love her cancels into kick super and her Ultra is pretty neat.

Game is legit, really like its gameplay. Feels like classic KOF. Lots of modes too, this will be fun.

Looks like you picked the worst ones you could find honestly. It's okay, KOF doesn't look that great. Don't be sour over it. It plays well. We knew it was going to.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm glad I tried it as I would have impulse bought the game. I just realised it's just not for me. For me Street Fighter V is still king in terms of Gameplay.

Mediking

I'm glad I tried it as I would have impulse bought the game. I just realised it's just not for me. For me Street Fighter V is still king in terms of Gameplay.

If I can buy SFV's Collector's Edition and Season Pass without really realizing how barebones the game was at launch.... I can buy King of Fighters and Tekken 7 without a problem.

OmegaDL50

If I can buy SFV's Collector's Edition and Season Pass without really realizing how barebones the game was at launch.... I can buy King of Fighters and Tekken 7 without a problem.

KOF and SFV are different games anyways. It's a expected they would play different.

Just because the mechanics for KOF are different doesn't make them worse compared to SF, they are just different.

Much like how Virtua Fighter or Tekken being 3D fighters are also different.

Slaythe

I think you're the only one here who thinks KOFXIV looks better than SFV technically.

Artistically, its down to personal preference.

Hum. The problem is when the art is literally butchered by sheer incompetence.

Sylvia is a perfect example of that. Amateurs's first 3D models, hard to judge the art when when the faces and overall bodies are so awfully done.

This isn't a resolution/framerate problem ...

Pompadour

I don't agree with anything you said but what do you think about the animation of SFV? That is, by far, SFV's strongest point as the animation in that game is excellent and just below the SF3 series as the best in the franchise. Nothing in KOFXIV compares.

Shadow780

my brother who's a kof old timer thinks the gameplay's pretty slow for kof

Definitely slower than XIII for sure, probably cuz of the 3D, I don't want to say it's "clunkier" but sometimes my movement is ahead of the game it seems.

Something to get used to moving away from XIII.

BadWolf

I wonder how different other fighters would look if they released with as many characters as this game, from the most "Scratch" we've seen in a fighting game from an established franchise like a decade.

The thing that sticks out the most to me about the art of this game is that they've done a good job of making designs that feel like they could be from SNK's heyday, and also ones that look like they know games have come out since then. I honestly like a bit of design clash in my KOFs, since it is a series that takes things that have no business being together, and sticks them into the same universe.

I'm just glad we're getting something like this now, honestly. In the age of kickstarters and devs barely being able to make "classic" games for more than 20 dollars without SOMEONE crying foul, it feels nice to get a game that starts off at content over-complete.

I think it was Tsnooze on SRK who compiled as many Victory lines from the demo as he could, and found that each character has about 25 lines in this build, with no character-specific ones included yet. All voiced stuff on the victory screen. Honestly, what kind of games go through that much for such a large cast anymore? The only one I can think of that approaches such ridiculousness as a fighter is MKX.

Just feels good to look forward to a product with this kind of stuff from a JP dev.

Well said, as an SNK fan the game feels like a gift.

qcf x2

KOF and SFV are different games anyways. It's a expected they would play different.

Just because the mechanics for KOF are different doesn't make them worse compared to SF, they are just different.

Much like how Virtua Fighter or Tekken being 3D fighters are also different.

Bingo. They aren't really meant to compete with each other. They're both competitive fighting game series, but it's not like KoF is intended to be in direct competition with SFV. People need to diversify, don't keep yourself in a box.

I don't agree with anything you said but what do you think about the animation of SFV? That is, by far, SFV's strongest point as the animation in that game is excellent and just below the SF3 series as the best in the franchise. Nothing in KOFXIV compares.

KoF animation is just fine. SFV's is strong, but has its misses (mouths don't open for spoken attack lines, most glaring is Laura during her super, background character animation is 30fps of weirdness, some apparent shortcuts like whatever Alex's winpose is supposed to be). I would say there's no comparison overall, SFV is obviously better looking but it's not perfect or close to perfect and KoF isn't ugly or close to ugly.

Mr. X

Just want to say the tutorial revealing the trick for doing the DP into Climax is EXACTLY what tutorials need to do. Like, I know this and explain it a lot but it's right there in game!

Top Bottom