• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV - Demo Impressions thread (out now, free)

BadWolf

Thanks. I need to work on that on the right side. Any basic bnb with Nelson? He's interesting, I'm surprised that he only has two special moves. I'm not sure what to combo with his qcbf + p other than st hp ~ 2 hits xx qcbf + p

He's a chain based character so you have to approach him with a different mindset, the two special moves are icing on the cake.

The way his chains work is that they are divided into three stages:

Stage 1: Starter moves (they initiate the chaining process)
Stage 2: Chains (can only be done after a starter mentioned above)
Stage 3: Finisher (can only be done after a Chain move)

So if you want to do a stage 2 move then you have to do a stage 1 move first and if you want a stage 3 move then you have to go through stages 1 and 2 first. You can do these not only on hit or block but even on whiff. So you can quickly whiff a Starter or Chain move and do a Finisher overhead etc.

A bonus stage is movement, he can forward or back dash after Chain moves, and this preserves the entire chain combo. So if you are doing a Chain move and then do the dash then you can still land the Finisher after the dash.

The moves are done as follows:

Starters: forward+LP, back+LP and forward+LK (you can only do one of these in a combo)
Chains: (up, down, left or right+LK) (you can do up to two of these in combo)
Finisher: (up, down, left or right+HP)
Movement: (forward or back+HK)(can only be done after Chain moves)

The Chains and Finishers have different properties, some are normal hits, others are lows, overheads, hard knockdowns etc. You can stack up to three lows or overheads in a chain combo for example, or create a combination with 2 lows and an overhead etc.

Taking the above into account, here are a few simple combos to get you started:

Standing: st. HP (2 hits)>forward+LP>forward+LK>forward+HP
Low: cr.B, cr.A, back+LP, back+LK, up+HP
Overhead: foward+LK, forward+LK, back+LK, forward+HP

As you get used to his moves you can add more attacks to the above to increase damage or mix things up with overheads, lows, unblockable etc.

Menitta

My problem with Nelson (it's a personal one) is that I played Dudley in 3rd Strike and 4, so when I play boxers, I have that type of mindset. It sucks because he's so cool, too! I just can't wrap my head around his moveset.

I'll break through eventually.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
how long does this demo last?
'til your last breath

My problem with Nelson (it's a personal one) is that I played Dudley in 3rd Strike and 4, so when I play boxers, I have that type of mindset. It sucks because he's so cool, too! I just can't wrap my head around his moveset.

I'll break through eventually.
Ha! I actually expected a Dudley/Steve Fox kind of character but nope, SNK went ham and gave us another gameplay style.
Give it a try, he's damn fun and has loooooots of stuff to experiment with.

** Awesome Nelson post **
Good stuff bud!

Qvoth

oh the demo doesn't have an expiry date? wow that's very generous of snk
AU7Amsc.gif

Finaika

One thing that bugs me about Mai in this game is she will look at her opponent like normal if she's standing far away from them, but if she stands right next to them, she will look at the camera (WTF?)

CPU Level 5 AI in training is exceedingly difficult yet oddly fair (but that isn't helping me much!)
Punishes everything with the best it can do, pretty much always. Wish i could replay in slow motion to see understand some of the stuff it's pulling off!

On a side note, i wish they'd bought back the infinite scrolling Geese Tower from Real Bout... would have handy in training when you want to try stuff without walls.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
not feeling the jumping and hopping in this game, doesn't feel as responsive as XIII
Agreed.

IIRC i read that they changed the jumps to make 'em work better during online play.

Agreed.

IIRC i read that they changed the jumps to make 'em work better during online play.

Which is an ass backwards way of doing things but then you have people going on about how "new players! muh accessibility" and how they know that one guy who quit playing because Kyo's hop 2C in the corner is an infinite blockstring.

Sayad

I've been playing against Level 6, might bump it down to Level 5 because I suck.

But both levels of AI are far, far more fun and fair to play against than any level of AI in SFV.
Bullshit, level 6 does more input reading than any SFV AI difficulty level, and by a wide margin. What's worse, the AI is very one dimensional which make exploiting it piss easy. It's the combination of the worst two things you could have a FG AI do. Just thank god you wont have to go through 50 levels of this pos AI to unlock colors. ;p

...and yet people were eating jump ins left and right at Evo.
This is weird in retrospective, playing the demo, it feels like the KoF with the easiest AA game! Input delay looks good too, AAing hops feels easier than AAing SFV jump ins. :D

Xevren

I'm really falling in love with Mai in this, she feels pretty damn good. Combos are tons of fun too with a lot of different ways of doing things if you feel like getting flashy.

BadWolf

This is weird in retrospective, playing the demo, it feels like the KoF with the easiest AA game! Input delay looks good too, AAing hops feels easier than AAing SFV jump ins. :D

well people can't anti-air in SFV either

There's a difference between messing around with a demo and an actual match :p

If Xiao Hai is eating jumpings with his crazy reactions then you know it's not as much of a big deal as some think it is.

Generally speaking the changes are more character specific anyway, some had their jumps slowed down slightly (Kyo), some have them the same (Ryo) while others had their's sped up (Leona, Chin, Maxima).

maybe XIV has 8f of delay too :p

It's the other way around actually with XIV it seems, Atma (?) mentioned in his vid that XIII had 4f delay on its normals but in XIV that delay has been completely removed.

Nah they didn't put 8f in this lol, MikeZ actually tested it too. It's about in line with Xrd on console with respect to input lag.

I don't think jumps and hops have been made ineffective, but I don't like that they made design decisions taking online play and beginner level play into account that have an effect on how the game feels when played offline.

Yuritchi

Neo Member
The only KOF games I can recall with corner crossups are 98 (and 98UMFE which is what I'm basing my experience off of).

But even then, they don't seem particularly easy to do and are apparently the results of a glitch. Feel free to correct me!

I like some of the gameplay mechanics but can't overcome the poor graphics / animations / character design (old and new), the game is a huge step down compared to any current fighting game.

They had some amazing 2D sprites on the previous games.

It looks good for a current gen fighter to me. Less flashy and more to the point.

Garlador

The graphic detail may be lacking, but the game feels VERY fluid and responsive. It may not win the awards for best-looking game, but thus far I think it plays extremely well.

Garlador

SF5 had a beta test. That wasn't a demo, but whatever. Facts aren't important. Attempting to prop your game up by attacking others is what's really important here.

We're doing that now?

... I'm having more fun with KOFXIV's demo than I have with anything in Street Fighter V since April. Actually more impressed by its presentation, launch-date modes, animation, roster lineup, and sense of humor even.

Boom.

SkylineRKR

This demo is pretty good. It plays like KOF. Though the jumps feel sort of floaty but perhaps its just me. Controls are very tight.

How do you feel about the KoF XIV demo, though?

I feel that King of Dinos is looking crap tier, and I'm looking forward to seeing good players prove me wrong. That's the best part of watching new games develop.

Overall, demo is cool. I always buy KOF games day 1 regardless.

We're doing that now?

... I'm having more fun with KOFXIV's demo than I have with anything in Street Fighter V since April. Actually more impressed by its presentation, launch-date modes, animation, roster lineup, and sense of humor even.

Boom.

That's nice. You're free to like what you want.

But, the constant comparisons to SF5 aren't helping KOF14. They come off as "notice me senpai" attempts to maintain relevance. If people can't talk about this game for 5 minutes without bringing up SF5 to try to prop up KOF14, then there's a problem. Either with the game or with YOU.

The top comment in every KOF14 trailer is "Take that SF5!" Meanwhile, comments in SF5 trailers are about SF5. Do you not see how pathetic that is?

Let KOF14 stand on its own merits, unless you think it can't.

You sound like a tiny dog barking at a bigger dog who doesn't even know you're there.

Is KOF14 worthy enough to be a big dog? If you think so, then stop acting like it's a little dog.

I feel that King of Dinos is looking crap tier, and I'm looking forward to seeing good players prove me wrong. That's the best part of watching new games develop.

Overall, demo is cool. I always buy KOF games day 1 regardless.

That's nice. You're free to like what you want.

But, the constant comparisons to SF5 aren't helping KOF14. They come off as "notice me senpai" attempts to maintain relevance. If people can't talk about this game for 5 minutes without bringing up SF5 to try to prop up KOF14, then there's a problem. Either with the game or with YOU.

The top comment in every KOF14 trailer is "Take that SF5!" Meanwhile, comments in SF5 trailers are about SF5. Do you not see how pathetic that is?

Let KOF14 stand on its own merits, unless you think it can't.

You sound like a tiny dog barking at a bigger dog who doesn't even know you're there.

Is KOF14 worthy enough to be a big dog? If you think so, then stop acting like it's a little dog.

I find this very confusing. You're saying KoF has to stand on its own merits, yet can't complain about how lacking SFV looks in comparison? How is that supposed to work?

Edit: Sure I can understand that simple "take that" comments are getting tiresome, but it just sounds like you're being bitter.

Can we stop with the comparisons and shitting on either fighting game? This is the kind of shit fighting games don't need. If you don't like SFV, or KOF, or whatever, that's fine, and if you prefer one over the other, that's fine too! Hell, both games can learn from each other in some regards.

But the genre is already niche enough. No need to fragment it anymore than it already is with pointless shittery. Chen said that a rising tide lifts all boats when it comes to fighters. If you want the scene to grow and your game to get more people in it, you need more fighting games in general.

Anyway, back on topic.

I really wonder how people are going to break into the point of using him in a real match well. For me, I'm already shit, but it feels like he has a tough time trying to get things started and his normals feel like butt. Those combos look so good though. I'm hoping for the best because he's so interesting.

If the demo is anything to go by, Iori and KoD are two I'd consider locking in. I've always liked Iori, and KoD would be fun if I could get him to work. With all the new fighting games coming out, I'm going to really try and lock in mains a lot quicker than I have been.

qcf x2

Also let's step referencing Youtube comments, that is never a good idea.

With the requisite disclaimer that I'm not very good at the game, KoD's game kind of sort of reminds me Shermie in that you can't really do anything unless you manage to get very close, but your opponents know this. In KoD's case, using the qcf + k attack as a whiff looks like it may be a solid way to gain ground. It's faster than his other options of getting in.

Skilletor

Can we stop with the comparisons and shitting on either fighting game? This is the kind of shit fighting games don't need. If you don't like SFV, or KOF, or whatever, that's fine, and if you prefer one over the other, that's fine too! Hell, both games can learn from each other in some regards.

But the genre is already niche enough. No need to fragment it anymore than it already is with pointless shittery. Chen said that a rising tide lifts all boats when it comes to fighters. If you want the scene to grow and your game to get more people in it, you need more fighting games in general.

Fucking. This.

Top Bottom