• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV - Demo Impressions thread (out now, free)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Watching the KOF Station Channel. There's a lot of interesting tidbits about the game

I'm so happy SNK got that Chinese money

J 0 E

I like some of the gameplay mechanics but can't overcome the poor graphics / animations / character design (old and new), the game is a huge step down compared to any current fighting game.

They had some amazing 2D sprites on the previous games.

qcf x2

I like some of the gameplay mechanics but can't overcome the poor graphics / animations / character design (old and new), the game is a huge step down compared to any current fighting game.

They also had some dumb looking sprites, far fewer characters, the games were too dark and edgy looking for KoF, and what do you mean about animations? The animation is smooth and consistently 60 fps. Most people really enjoy the character designs for the most part, but opinions are opinions.

J 0 E

They also had some dumb looking sprites, far fewer characters, the games were too dark and edgy looking for KoF, and what do you mean about animations? The animation is smooth and consistently 60 fps. Most people really enjoy the character designs for the most part, but opinions are opinions.
Their previous work was far superior than this artistically and technically, KOF 13 was a beauty to watch with some amazing hand drawn sprites, it won't please everyone of course

we've seen a lot of 2D games translates well to 3D (SFV / GGXrd / KI e.g.) but this? if you told me it's a mobile game I'd believe it.

+

60fps = / = smooth animations

OmegaDL50

Their previous work was far superior than this artistically and technically, KOF 13 was a beauty to watch with some amazing hand drawn sprites, it won't please everyone of course

we've seen a lot of 2D games translates well to 3D (SFV / GGXrd / KI e.g.) but this? if you told me it's a mobile game I'd believe it.

+

60fps = / = smooth animations

You might not like it but stuff such as bolded is just hyperbole.

You are aware why it's unfeasible for SNK to currently do another game in the visual style like KOF XII and XIII right?

qcf x2

I mean, you can't please everybody. For me gameplay is first. It's not as if KoF looks really bad --we're not talking about nidhogg or divekick level visuals-- and in an actual match I'm not going to be worried about it not looking as detailed as its peers.

But at the end of the day if graphics are the dealbreaker in a competitive fighting game then yeah, this is not for you at all. For people who want a great fighter full of content (on day 1) and personality from a dev that's being extremely active in engaging with the community, KoF XIV is probably a great purchase.

HotHamBoy

People need to cut SNK some slack. This is their first next gen game and their first 3D KOF (Maximum Impact doesn't count).

There's going to be growing pains. I think it's damned impressive we are getting a 48 character roster, a third of which is all-new characters, and they started completely from scratch. Compare that to Guitly Gear Xrd, Killer Instinct or Street Fighter V. Those are higher quality characters but the trade is a much smaller roster that has to be built up over time.

KOF can't really have a small roster, KOF XII started from scratch with 20 characters and caught a lot of shit for having the smallest roster in the series. That's partly because of those incredible 2D sprites.

Those sprites just aren't a feasible model anymore and they clearly feel the advantages of switching to 3D are evident, the other big guys are doing it for a reason.

We are getting a VERY different roster from XIII, which is super fresh. Clearly SNK has focused on gameplay, roster size and performance over visuals and I respect that.

NeonZ

There were some complaints about the low resolution of those sprites when the last two games were actually coming out though.

HotHamBoy

There were some complaints about the low resolution of those sprites when the games were actually coming out.

That's why they pulled the camera back in XIII.

Those XII sprites were chunky as fuck.

But it's just not a practical way for them to make games anymore, I'm sure. I don't think the average person really appreciated the craftsmanship of the sprites, anyway.

People conveniently forget that it actually came to the point where making those sprites impacted gameplay as entire moves had to be cut independently of how important they were to characters, on top of the reduced roster.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
People conveniently forget that it actually came to the point where making those sprites impacted gameplay as entire moves had to be cut independently of how important they were to characters, on top of the reduced roster.
There goes Ioris Ultra finisher move. No more ketchup and mustard for his opponent.

One thing that everyone should be excited for is the post support the game will have, if they dedicated this much love and work for the game to launch withe the HUGE roster I cant wait to see what dlc the game will have.

I really hope we get a bigol patch day one with fixes for sound,graphics and other improvements.

Day one baby, let's Go!

Nelson is definitely an advanced character, he will take a while to learn even for advanced players.

To do a hop people use a trick where they do the reverse of a super jump motion. So instead of quickly tapping down and holding up you do the opposite and quickly tap up and then hold down. This forces you to hit the up direction only briefly. Very useful for both beginner and advanced players.

Thanks. I need to work on that on the right side. Any basic bnb with Nelson? He's interesting, I'm surprised that he only has two special moves. I'm not sure what to combo with his qcbf + p other than st hp ~ 2 hits xx qcbf + p

Astarte

Oh shit I got banned from juicebox's stream for linking a mai video. Whoops.

Anyways, Iori is super fun and Kyary is actually not half bad.

Here's a quick Kyo st.D poke into a quick max cancel combo with 1 bar, so I can see something like this being used for all those point Kyos out there. I wanted to see other combo starters instead of jumpins that most people use, and since the max mode is tied into the meter than any secondary bar like KOF13, I think we can see a lot of confirms into quick max modes in this game at high level. Since they made anti-airs better than KOF13, a solid ground game might become much more important. Not really exciting but a start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2XTlrBF-8U

edit: I need to learn how to make webms, some people seem to make them so quickly.

TreIII

Amazing.
King of Dinos needs to be among EVO finals.

I think "T-Zoc" (getting to like that moniker, too) may have that possibility, if he gets a player that has that kind of reflexes, such that he can afford to stonewall/react against practically everything their opponent throws at him.

It'll be interesting to see just how many will be able to take advantage of that kind of power. I'm definitely going to be trying this myself, anyway!

Menitta

Out of curiosity, how different is the gameplay of this demo from the PAX East demo? From what I've heard, the PAX demo was a little weird and was an older build.

Here is a combo off Shun'ei's CD which reaches quite far. Comboing off it works pretty decently far from the corner. The last hit allows you to mix them up with a hop or low after it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84es69H-Yvc

edit: also works midscreen too for a corner carry, though you need to end it with qcf+A because the 3rd dp+A might be too far to land.

qcf x2

One thing that everyone should be excited for is the post support the game will have, if they dedicated this much love and work for the game to launch withe the HUGE roster I cant wait to see what dlc the game will have.

I really hope we get a bigol patch day one with fixes for sound,graphics and other improvements.

Day one baby, let's Go!

Actually I wouldn't expect much in the way of DLC. If something's broken or needs balancing they'll fix it, but the team seems pretty adamant that they're pleased with the launch product and that no significant DLC (like characters) is in the works. Of course things may change if the game exceeds sales expectations but they've been tempering expectations about DLC. I think we'll eventually get some costumes and that's it.

Finaika

I hope they fix some annoying problems in the training mode, the CPU dummy blocks too often with the 1-hit guard option and you can't jump over your opponents in the corner.

image.php

Dazza

The graphics are serviceable for me, it's a good base to build on, only the derpy faces really throw me off.

The important thing is it plays like a KOF should and they have a really solid cast.

Good thing about 3D is they can now explore costumes more than just mere palette swaps. So I'd expect some DLC along those lines in the least

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
People need to cut SNK some slack. This is their first next gen game and their first 3D KOF (Maximum Impact doesn't count).

Wait...what? Maximum Impact absolutely counts. They had three of those games, with the last even getting an arcade release. This is not the company's first time with 3D games; they've been releasing polygon-based games going back to the late 90s.

There's going to be growing pains. I think it's damned impressive we are getting a 48 character roster, a third of which is all-new characters, and they started completely from scratch. Compare that to Guitly Gear Xrd, Killer Instinct or Street Fighter V. Those are higher quality characters but the trade is a much smaller roster that has to be built up over time.

Definitely- the roster is very satisfying.

KOF can't really have a small roster, KOF XII started from scratch with 20 characters and caught a lot of shit for having the smallest roster in the series. That's partly because of those incredible 2D sprites.

XII got a lot of shit -deservedly so- for being an unfinished game (with ultra-shitty netcode at home). It was basically "KOF XIII Beta Edition."

Those sprites just aren't a feasible model anymore and they clearly feel the advantages of switching to 3D are evident, the other big guys are doing it for a reason.

I'm glad they've finally decided to ditch sprites. I love sprite-based games, but those 480P sprites would have really started looked dated quickly had they stuck with them.

We are getting a VERY different roster from XIII, which is super fresh. Clearly SNK has focused on gameplay, roster size and performance over visuals and I respect that.

I'm all for how they're handling this game, but I do think that the visuals are going to be a turn-off for some and could affect sales.

J 0 E

KOF XIV looks horrible (technically and artistically) regardless of the comparison to old KOFs IMO

Every old character looks worse here (just see Robert... sigh) + the new ones look random and bland, the art style got nothing to do with budget and team size so that's no excuse.

hope they keep balancing all these characters at least.

I may get it and enjoy it if the gameplay was solid enough but the visual aspect deserves all the criticism.

I'm amazed by people finding KOF inputs hard.

Play Fatal Fury Special to see real weird ass fuck inputs

Which is why I didn't play it more than a few times.

It's not the inputs themselves are hard, it's pulling them off reliably and consistently.

Instead of thinking what to tool to use at any time, I have to think "can I recover if I mess this move up?"

It's an added level of management.

Finaika

Yes, it works the same way.

Shows how much KOF I've been playing recently XD

Wait...what? Maximum Impact absolutely counts. They had three of those games, with the last even getting an arcade release. This is not the company's first time with 3D games; they've been releasing polygon-based games going back to the late 90s.

They say it was not SNK SNK who made the game, it was Noise Factory or something.

I thought KoF looked awesome. The animations are amazing. It seems like they're just going for a different feel. If aesthetics are very important to you then I can see why people would have issue but I think the game looks rad.

Sayad

Is it like this with previous KOFs too?

The only fighting game I played recently is SFV and you can jump over your opponents in the corner.
Can't cross up in Xrd too. It's ok in SFV because air options are limited compared to GG or KoF, if corner cross ups were allowed with hops and GG type options they'd be too strong.

fertygo

Game looks bad in closeup but I actually think its look rad in what matter most sideline view but come those ultra its look bad again lol

Zerojul

All this corner cross-ups talk sounds weird to me. It has never been the norm afaik. The first time I played a game that allowed for those it was SFIV and I was very confused.

Anyway I didn't spend much time with the demo yet but the game looks OK and plays like a dream. I suck immensely at it but that doesn't matter. Can't wait to get bodied online comes August :D

Yaqoub

Preordered.

King of Dinosaurs is going to be really difficult to win matches with but I can definitely build a team around him.

Looks much better in person and plays well.

I'm excited.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
They say it was not SNK SNK who made the game, it was Noise Factory or something.

Noise Factory was a subsidiary of SNK when they made the game. They also worked on Metal Slug 3-5, Sengoku 3, Rage of the Dragons, Matrimelee, and Dark Arms: Beast Busters. There were also other SNK staff involved with Maximum Impact's development. More recently, you also have K2 who made (the shitty) Samurai Shodown Sen...those guys were comprised of former SNK staff who worked on SS1 and SS2. Regardless, 3D is not new to SNK. They even had their own dedicated 3D hardware with the HNG64 back in the day.

I'm the biggest SNK fanboy around and even to me the game looks underwhelming.

Yup, the graphics are definitely the weak point (although there are some pretty nice and colorful backgrounds). But the game play is great so I'm OK with it. Just need the net code to be good...

There were corner cross up in KoFXIII.

The type of corner cross-up that were in previous games involved backturned knockdowns or in XIII setups that caused the opponent to slightly move making them effectively not in the corner anymore. Just jumping over a cornered opponent doesn't let you actually switch sides.

Hyun Sai

The type of corner cross-up that were in previous games involved backturned knockdowns or in XIII setups that caused the opponent to slightly move making them effectively not in the corner anymore. Just jumping over a cornered opponent doesn't let you actually switch sides.

Yeah, you may be right.

Menitta

The models aren't great but I do think it's nice and colorful as KOF should be. I also think it looks better than SF4. The sprites had a better transition into 3D than Street Fighter did. At least in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to getting that artbook.

I've been playing too much KI and SFV lately and I'm trying to cross up with heavy kick.

Moraizen

Well, they got my digital pre-order. Despite the terrible artistic choices and graphics in general, it offers plenty of fun gameplay and a lot of content for the money.

I am voting for my wallet and helping to resurrect the good old SNK days, if this game is a success I am pretty sure the next KOF will be something amazing. They kind of did this in the past with the very terrible KOF XII, followed by the amazing XIII.

Plus, someone needs to show the folks at Capcom what a good initial release looks like.

Top Bottom