• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV - Demo Impressions thread (out now, free)

First impressions: Man oh man, this is great. This is mechanically one of the tightest fighters I've played in a long time. Kyo and Iori play as they always do, though the tightness seems to make the timing on their moves a bit stricter (or maybe I'm just not used to the DS4). I don't have a problem with most of the attacks, but it's the rekkas that I find myself slipping on.

King of Dinosaurs is awesome! And the tutorial is really cool too. Looking forward to seeing the storyline.

I'm going to play some more and get used to the other characters but yeah, for a first impression, I'm pretty much sold. Shun'ei and Nelson are both really cool designs. The latter has a classic look that fits in easily with the older KOF crowd, and Shun'ei is like an evolution of the Falcoon/Hiroaki designs from 2003 - XIII.

Mr. X

Nelson is dope

so his chain is pretty interesting

I don't remember seeing it pointed out here but Nelson can do 2 different LK unique normals during his chains

For example

b+LP d+LK b+LK u+HP

crazy that he has crLK sLP b+LP whatever

SNK boxing character are so much fun

Edit: RIP it was on the previous page

P.S. Stop with the fanboy fighting game bullshit please. You can have fun with KoF without mentioning how much fun SFV isn't for you, it's really easy.

If I go out to the local here tonight, hoping someone brings KoF14. Probably use Nelson, Iori and Mai or Kyo

Nelson is dope

so his chain is pretty interesting

I don't remember seeing it pointed out here but Nelson can do 2 different LK unique normals during his chains

For example

b+LP d+LK b+LK u+HP

crazy that he has crLK sLP b+LP whatever

P.S. Stop with the fanboy fighting game bullshit please. You can have fun with KoF without mentioning how much fun SFV isn't for you, it's really easy.

If I go out to the local here tonight, hoping someone brings KoF14. Probably use Nelson, Iori and Mai or Kyo

One of the best ways I learn is having someone show me some shit hands on. I should do this at a local too, even if it means bringing my system.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You know, I really liked the abundance of meter option in XIII. The increased meter on block and such from arcade to home port, and the changes to make Neomax's more useful were all very nice to me.

I like the shifts here even more. We've lost a LOT of special cancelable far C's and Ds, but who cares? Most of them can be DM canceled now. In KoF, that's basically saying "You can follow up far pokes with EX moves". And pokes are a lot better now, with the return of some great normals that got the shaft previously.

Personally, I also like the confirm ranges for close weak normals in this game better than my time with SFIV. SF has this weird way of pushing back in a very "3D game" looking way that feel less "hitbox" precise, and more, "Hit sphere" like. XIV's seem to be much more predictable, in the way that one close crouch normal at point blank will always leave you at range for a standing close normal follow up. For someone like Mai, who needs that cl.LK to get into her Target combo, this makes the act of judging the distance feel much more reliable.

Moving on, with the fact that DMs can be followed up with Advance cancel, it gives a new relevance to using meter on simple Supers, rather than just saving it all for MAX mode spam, which was one of the early fears.

With the lessening of invincibility on DMs, it also seems like the idea is to make you confirm your punishes with a blow, rather than just tossing them out there. I like this, because it forces you to be more aware of the strengths of your buttons. And with buttons being strong, this is a nice pairing.

Using meter to capitalize on raw overheads was always a thing. Now the same bar can be used as a DM cancel, or MAX cancel for mixup, Guard break pressure, or just guaranteed damage. And then you have unique stuff like Nelson being able to straight up special move cancel his overhead, which is a nice way to add more life and utility to his limited "special moves".

This all makes it harder to 100% say what an opponent is fishing for when they start poking. You kinda knew Shen was going for a HD combo when he started doing all his stupid low kick spam; it was the only option that'd most would consider viable once he was sitting on resources. Here, you have many more possibilities, since the cost isn't so one sided in it's reward.

Regardless of how much the pro scene likes 2k2UM, I got much more tired of seeing Nameless in that game than I ever did of Mr. Karate, Flame Lori, or basically anyone in XIII. It just felt like such a smaller amount of the cast could really use meter as dynamically as he could. As if he was made for 2k2UM, and everyone else was just ported into it.

XIII was a step in the right direction, but as much as I like Drive Cancels, the meter eventually because something that limited the amount of game-winning damage many characters could get for the same resources. Especially since anywhere juggles that gave re-stand allowed some characters to get resources BACK after spending them, which was just nuts.

This game feels tighter in this regard so far. MAX cancels, straight DM/SDM combos, and SDM->CDM cancels all seem to give comparable damage, as long as you're spending similar meters. MAX for footsies and MAX for pressure all effect each character in differe ways. If a character shines with combo MAX mode, it's normally because they're a bit weaker in some other ways (Vice doesn't have the chip damage, or invul on throws she used to have, but has one of the better MAX combos, if she can get the opening, so far.) Shining with a max meter combo doesn't yield much different damage than doing normal combos into a DM, either.

Of course, we'll have to see if it stays that way. But for now, the rules in place to limit things look better than ever.

Skilletor

The really, really are. Rick White (err...strowd, I guess...dunno where I got white), Vanessa, now Nelson.

I knew I would enjoy the game, but I didn't think I'd like so many of the new characters. I can build new teams just with a few of the new characters I like.

Edit: I love how Vanessa and Nelson are different enough that if Vanessa was added later or in the next entry, they aren't clones or too similar.

But that's probably because I'm biased and want to see Vanessa and her belly shirt and tie in a current game. <3

OmegaDL50

I was never big on Heavy D, Vanessa or Rick, but I really like Nelson.

I like the chain attacks he has in giving up a large special move list. Feels like playing a 3D fighting game character in a 2D fighting game mechanically.

Not sure if someone else did this yet but discovered a corner 78% damage combo.

Jump in HP, stand HP (2 hits), f+LP, f+LK, b+LK to juggle, follow up with QCFx2+2P Super into climax cancel. Does like 17 hits, uses 5 bars though so it's not very economical.

Still even if you did just the super finisher without the climax, it still does 50% life for only 2 bars. Although the conditions of getting the opponent in the corner in such a manner seems very rare for this to be practical in an actual match.

Still even if you did just the super finisher without the climax, it still does 50% life for only 2 bars. Although the conditions of getting the opponent in the corner in such a manner seems very rare for this to be practical in an actual match.

Mid-screen you can juggle into that super too for similar results.

j.HP HP(2) f+LP b+LK f+HK to cross under them, 236x2+LP+HP to catch them from the other side (You have to do it slightly late so you pass under them completely, and do it the other way of course). Does 486 dmg, still for 2 bars. Slightly less damage but you don't strictly -need- the corner.

I really like how Nelson's crossunder combos look. He's a cool guy.

BadWolf

At five meters, that would not do much damage with the scaling kicking in, and you don't gain meter while in MAX mode. Even with the stun, I don't think you'd get much more than half life off of such a combo.

The only real threat this combo gives is that you can run out the clock. Otherwise, I don't see this as a big deal.

It's useless, the damage he did with 5 bars is equivalent to a 1 bar Iori BnB combo.

Amedo310

So... My shunei changed colors sometimes when I immediately restart a match in versus mode. I can't fully explain it.

I have him as my final character and when he comes out to my opponent's second character, he is wearing purple and white colors for the rest of the match. Match is done and we immediately restart the match. Shunei comes out to the last character on my opponent's team and he is wearing a completely different color with gray hair.

So... My shunei changed colors sometimes when I immediately restart a match in versus mode. I can't fully explain it.

I have him as my final character and when he comes out to my opponent's second character, he is wearing purple and white colors for the rest of the match. Match is done and we immediately restart the match. Shunei comes out to the last character on my opponent's team and he is wearing a completely different color with gray hair.

In 2p vs, if someone chooses the same color as the first user, their actual color seems to be randomized each fight. So maybe what you've got is a bug related to the color the CPU "chooses"?

Amedo310

In 2p vs, if someone chooses the same color as the first user, their actual color seems to be randomized each fight. So maybe what you've got is a bug related to the color the CPU "chooses"?

OK. That makes sense and it was not a bug color, it was another one of his colors. Thank you.

CSX

so shareplay doesnt work i hear? i know shareplay tends to be laggy but man it was going to be the only way i could play with a buddy who recently left the city :/

maybe XIV has 8f of delay too :p
that was a.. debatable choice..
if the style of the game was different, maybe i would be less concerned, but a LOT of high level players were badly hurt as reactionary footsie style is a real thing..
heck the only one who wouldn't notice are sf "bottom tier" casual.. because when you press the button and the action starts AFTER a noticeable timeframe, i'd say it's not expected..
8f could be compared to like 120ms, and if you tell me you cannot tell the difference between say 20ms and 120ms, I'd be perplexed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=222&v=3CBEVIDwge0
for those willing to get a primer on the impact of the 8f...

or a more practical example.. ryu overhead has a 20f startup..
assuming you're just a normal human with 18f reactions, 3f input lags basically negate you will be able to block ryu overhead by reacting from crouched position..
so to compensate for those 8f lag, either you react at 12f.. or... you just get hit :)

if nothing else, if kof is polished enough, it will be a good reason for me to drop sfv alltogether atm..

BadWolf

Guys Ive been wondering, when you use your MAXMODE...how do you know when you can use it again?

When you activate max mode:

- You use 1 power bar
- Your character flashes yellow
- A blue timer meter appears above your power bar showing the time left

Once the timer runs out then the character automatically exits max mode. Once they exit it they can enter it again at any time for the cost of 1 power bar.

BadWolf

so I was watching Juicebox's stream and they made backdashes low invincible

Oda can't help himself can he :/

Why single out Oda?

And it's more of a system wide change with moves that get off the ground. Even Kyo's far standing HK can easily go over ground fireballs.

Footos22

Man I played this for hours last night. The only kof I ever played was in capcom.vs snk 2 on the original xbox. Had an absolute blast with this demo. Day one. Only fighter I didn't like was the dinosaur dude. He felt a bit clunky The rest though was fab.

Finaika

Man I played this for hours last night. The only kof I ever played was in capcom.vs snk 2 on the original xbox. Had an absolute blast with this demo. Day one. Only fighter I didn't like was the dinosaur dude. He felt a bit clunky The rest though was fab.

The dinosaur's dash run animation is so clunky, sometimes you're not even sure if he is running or walking forwards.

The dinosaur's dash run animation is so clunky, sometimes you're not even sure if he is running or walking forwards.

Yesterday, on one of my ps4 system unread messages I saw an update for Dead or alive 5 LR, now, I hadn't played that game in a while, so I decided to give it a go, and you know what? It kinda made me mad at SNK, freaking DOA5LR looks GORGEOUS and wasn't this game originally made for the PS3?

Ugghh I'm having this love and hate relationship with the KOF14 right now.
It's a must buy for sure, but I cant help but to feel that they probably don't have the ability or man power (time) to really polish the graphics for the game.

The only excuse I can think of is that DOA5LR runs at 30 FPS while KOF is running at 60 FPS.

IDK man :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
It's a must buy for sure, but I cant help but to feel that they probably don't have the ability or man power (time) to really polish the graphics for the game.

The only excuse I can think of is that DOA5LR runs at 30 FPS while KOF is running at 60 FPS.

So you hate 'em cuz they dont have the manpower to polish the game up?

KOFXIV is not a good looking game, and you all have to deal with it.
Im not into anime or Guilty Gear, but x3rd is probably the best looking FG i've seen and it's gonna take SNK quite a bit of time to reach that quality.

Tyaren

They're not equally graphically intensive though.

What's so much more graphically intensive in Street Fighter V? On PS4 it looks pretty poor. One can like KoFXIV's art sytle or not (I don't really) but character models, stages and textures are more detailed there than in Street Fighter V. Animations and the antialiasing solution are better in SFV.

DOA5LR runs in buttery smooth 60 fps.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
What's so much more graphically intensive in Street Fighter V? On PS4 it looks pretty poor. One can like KoFXIV's art sytle or not (I don't really) but character models, stages and textures are more detailed there than in Street Fighter V. Animations and the antialiasing solution are better in SFV.

KOF's character models aren't as detailed as Street Fighter V's. SFV definitely is the better-looking game, easily.

So beginner update #2..

In a strange turn of events the character that made me better with the game after struggling with shunei for hours...was mai. I can do her specials(all of them) pretty tightly now without messing up. "Rush" combos aren't my go to for her like everyone else so far. Alil bit of a smirk is on my face right now lol.

BadWolf

Recorded some more stuff: Shun'ei beginner combos.

And because i feel Shun'ei gets particularly good return from MAX mode, some Shun'ei practical MAX combos on top of that.

Nice, feels like Shun'ei does Shen Woo levels of damage.

So beginner update #2..

In a strange turn of events the character that made me better with the game after struggling with shunei for hours...was mai. I can do her specials(all of them) pretty tightly now without messing up. "Rush" combos aren't my go to for her like everyone else so far. Alil bit of a smirk is on my face right now lol.

Good stuff man, she also has great normals.

KOF's character models aren't as detailed as Street Fighter V's. SFV definitely is the better-looking game, easily.

I actually like the character models style of KOF 14 better than SFV, actually since back in the days (KOF 94)

But I agree that SFV characters are better looking in terms of textures hair physics and overall color and graphics.

Kof models have always been much thinner and have realistic proportions IMO

SF has always had big feet, huge hands and bulky models in both their 2d -3d aspects.

The only time I ever saw snk doing similar models or drawings was with kof 13 bulky Ralf and clark.

KOFXIV is not a good looking game, and you all have to deal with it.

I know, but it's sad because of how I always liked KOF because of the graphics
and it kinda used to excuse the price I payed for them, ( compensates for my casual skills,LOL)
This is the first kof that does not fully live up graphically IMO.
Even Maximum impact looked Great for that era imo.

Tyaren

What?! Have you seen STV models in Story mode up close? They are pretty undetailed and textures are partly really blurry (at least on PS4).

kof14-screenshot-july12.jpg

13_cammy_vskill.jpg

kof14-screenshot-nightmare-geese.jpg

12_critical_art.0.jpg

Both are imo not the prettiest of their kind. :/

OmegaDL50

Yesterday, on one of my ps4 system unread messages I saw an update for Dead or alive 5 LR, now, I hadn't played that game in a while, so I decided to give it a go, and you know what? It kinda made me mad at SNK, freaking DOA5LR looks GORGEOUS and wasn't this game originally made for the PS3?

The team working KOFXIV at SNK has very little if any experience in 3D, The director even admitted this in a few interviews. The fact they opted to create their own original engine to improve their knowledge of making 3D graphics can only lead to improvement in a future game.

Compared to Team Ninja who have been making 3D Action Games and Fighters for YEARS, the experience shows.

SNK could used Unreal Engine like ArcSys did, but as Oda said he wanted to build experience by doing their own engine and gain that knowledge of developing a 3D game.

KOF outside of XII and XIII never had an overly strong Anime design to begin with, even the earlier 2D games such as KOF98 had more realistic sprite style rather, but that's neither here or there.

For Oda's team doing a 3D KOF without outsourcing or using a 3rd party engine, for their first attempt it's an admirable one.

The team working KOFXIV at SNK has very little if any experience in 3D, The director even admitted this in a few interviews. The fact they opted to create their own original engine to improve their knowledge of making 3D graphics can only lead to improvement in a future game.

Compared to Team Ninja who have been making 3D Action Games and Fighters for YEARS, the experience shows.

SNK could used Unreal Engine like ArcSys did, but as Oda said he wanted to build experience by doing their own engine and gain that knowledge of developing a 3D game.

KOF outside of XII and XIII never had an overly strong Anime design to begin with, even the earlier 2D games such as KOF98 had more realistic sprite style rather, but that's neither here or there.

For Oda's team doing a 3D KOF without outsourcing or using a 3rd party engine, for their first attempt it's an admirable one.

Interesting, I knew they lack experience in 3D (obviously)
But I had no clue this snk own engine and all that, or that this was the directors decision.

admirable for sure, but in this kinda market, people wont care about all that :(
sadly.

Interesting, I knew they lack experience in 3D (obviously)
But I had no clue this snk own engine and all that, or that this was the directors decision.

admirable for sure, but in this kinda market, people wont care about all that :(
sadly.
Are we do sure about that? Didn't help SFv sales wise. The market reacted to content for that title not graphics.

Top Bottom