• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
EDIT: Oh and his kick move, it's from RBS isn't it? It's usually just a flying kick.

Naa, the kick move is a command throw from FFS, actually:

TungFuRueVsKim.gif

I think you had to charge Down-back to do it too, so it was a bit harder to land, as I don't think you could combo into it either.

No idea who his VA is off hand, though. He doesn't sounds like the NGBC or RBS VA's...

BadWolf

I find the new Chin design pretty interesting in that we always thought of him as a homage to Jackie Chan's master from the Drunken Master movie.

In 2002 his green outfit resembled the master as well.

In XIV though, his new outfit is closer to what Jackie Chan wore in the first Drunken Master. He also drinks from two bottles at the same time like Jackie did in Drunken Master 2.

Might be wrong but I think they are trying to make him into an old version of Jackie's character, rather than the master.

Tizoc

TungFuRueVsKim.gif

I think you had to charge Down-back to do it too, so it was a bit harder to land, as I don't think you could combo into it either.

No idea who his VA is off hand, though. He doesn't sounds like the NGBC or RBS VA's...

Man FF2 and S had the weirdest special move inputs.

Zerojul

TungFuRueVsKim.gif

Yeah it was a charge command grab with no range, one of those moves I liked to see but made me lose quite a few rounds trying to land it just for the sake of it lol. At least Jubei's charge grab made him move forward.
Looks amazing anyway.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Might be wrong but I think they are trying to make him into an old version of Jackie's character, rather than the master.

I could see that. SNKP likes multi-faceted homage's as well, so it could just be that the original font of inspiration is a bit too thin to continue on with.

Man FF2 and S had the weirdest special move inputs.

Ugh, Break Spin with Duck King, the Senpuugouken motion itself requiring an up input... I am quite glad SNK began to normalize it's motions after those times, and make them practical.

Yeah it was a charge command grab with no range, one of those moves I liked to see but made me lose quite a few rounds trying to land it just for the sake of it lol. At least Jubei's charge grab made him move forward.
Looks amazing anyway.

And Jubei could also Crawl forward while charging, and had a slide. Since Tung had to charge DB, he couldn't move anywhere...

GooeyHeat

But who'se to say the existence of a spirit form means we won't see ANY actual transformations? Even back in FF2, he had the spirit form as a special:

But still Transformed for the Senpuugouken:
From the trailer, it seems like that's exactly what's going on here. Nice prediction ;)

TreIII

Ugh, Break Spin with Duck King, the Senpuugouken motion itself requiring an up input... I am quite glad SNK began to normalize it's motions after those times, and make them practical.

Frankly, I'm surprised Geese's Raging Storm motion was only changed at all was in RB. Classic Pretzel motion everywhere else!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
From the trailer, it seems like that's exactly what's going on here. Nice prediction ;)

Thanks, lol. It was so freaky! We were just talking about this all, and then that trailer drops from nowhere. I didn't expect to see anything like that for weeks, and suddenly... I'm still shocked, haha.

Senpuugouken looks so good!

Ha I forgot about the crawl, yeah... Good lord, the memories :D

No kidding! I'm glad I got a refresh in the PS2 and XBLA releases, the games have so much memorable, fun, and frustrating elements to them!

Frankly, I'm surprised Geese's Raging Storm motion was only changed at all was in RB. Classic Pretzel motion everywhere else!

I remember reading that Geese's motions have been kept because fans actually really like the classic pretzel. I totally agree too: I have a similar satisfaction to pulling it off as a ShunGokuSatsu.

Most other convoluted motions can disappear from history, though, lol. Fight the opponent, not the inputs!

BadWolf

Today details popped up for SFV's 17th character.

Meanwhile we got our 18th, 19th and 20th character reveals for KOFXIV... and we aren't even half way there yet lol.

They did great with this in MOTW.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Today details popped up for SFV's 17th character.

Meanwhile we got our 18th, 19th and 20th character reveals for KOFXIV... and we aren't even half way there yet lol.

No kidding. Not even VIDEO of Alex, and suddenly KoF has all this. FeelGoodMan.jpg

They did great with this in MOTW.

Yup, everyone can play MOTW and feel like they access EVERYTHING with ease... until you get to breaks. I kinda love it, (and Killer Instinct follows suit for a more modern example) but there are certain SNK motions I'd be doing alt inputs for (Ryuuko Ranbu! Zanretsuken!) forever if given the option.

Tizoc

Seeing as KoF is a team match game where all 3 characters= your 1 fighter,
this reveal would be like
The 7th character in the game :V

TreIII

I remember reading that Geese's motions have been kept because fans actually really like the classic pretzel. I totally agree too: I have a similar satisfaction to pulling it off as a ShunGokuSatsu.

It took me a while, but I just used the "cheat" motion (three half circles, I believe) and was able to use it that way.

Good luck getting me to do the Deadly Rave (Geese or Rock's) on command, though...

It's input is Fwd, HCF+BC in RB2 IIRC.
Every other game: Pretzel motion!

Yep! Haohshokoken motion made it so I felt as if I could finally do Geese's Raging Storm for the first time.

qcf x2

Trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIS7VcOxeqo&feature=youtu.be

Tung, Choi, and Chin!

Lookit, Tung has some actual cloth physics! *rewatching*

This game is looking better and better. The animation is so smooth. The transition to 3D is excellent so far. Once they fix some of the models and add some skin tones/definition, this could end up being a legit good looking game. My hype increases with each trailer, but I'm really looking forward to the Aero Fighters girl and I'm holding out hope for Whip.

Beckx

This effect really looks pretty cool.

Meanwhile, after my dive into all things SNK I pretty much want a team of Rock, May Lee and Vanessa and that's not happening, lol. i guess Rock could theoretically be on South Town team with Geese since he'd be new to mainline KOF and who knows where his partnership with Kain took him. and maybe Kim's wife/Master's wife could be a character similar to May Lee given the description.

BadWolf

From SRK user JohnGrimm:

Vice and Mature both still have suits. Although the design of the suits are very weird from what I'm told, they reveal their shoulders as well as emphasizing their breasts. Also Mature doesn't have an eyepatch anymore.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
While I was hoping for a bit of a retention of the suit design for at least one of them... playing up the "Sexy Villainess" angle isn't something I honestly have much issue with. Looking forward to their design even more now.

I really hope Vice plays close to 98UM self. Her normal changes in 2k2UM just don't feel as overly strong as they could. She was one of the characters I wanted to like more in XIII, but actually felt like one of the least developed. Needed more aggressive tools, and the HCB,F+P motion working as a shortcut to DP made it much harder to do her command throw than it should have been.

Hoping she's really well refreshed.

TreIII

While I was hoping for a bit of a retention of the suit design for at least one of them... playing up the "Sexy Villainess" angle isn't something I honestly have much issue with. Looking forward to their design even more now.

I really hope Vice plays close to 98UM self. Her normal changes in 2k2UM just don't feel as overly strong as they could. She was one of the characters I wanted to like more in XIII, but actually felt like one of the least developed. Needed more aggressive tools, and the HCB,F+P motion working as a shortcut to DP made it much harder to do her command throw than it should have been.

Hoping she's really well refreshed.

As far as XIII goes, one of the things that most hurt Vice for me was losing her slicing kicks. They're too much of an important part of her moveset, and among all of the moves missing in XIII, that was one of the things that stood out the most.

Hopefully, there won't be any such oversights this time around.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
As far as XIII goes, one of the things that most hurt Vice for me was losing her slicing kicks. They're too much of an important part of her moveset, and among all of the moves missing in XIII, that was one of the things that stood out the most.

Hopefully, there won't be any such oversights this time around.

Haha, yeah, I'm right with you. But I whined about that particular move on SRK, so I figured I'd complain about different points here! :)

I love the new Sleeves grab with her, I like the idea of making her old AA throw into a grounded command pounce. But she just felt so crappy otherwise. She needed her start-up invul. HCF command crab too, but just had the HCB,F one, which couldn't be used as easily in aggression.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
New leak details.

Could this hooded man be ash? Who else is connected to the ending?

I agree with the people who think it could be one of them:

CdTRgf3W0AA0QRl.jpg:large

Tying one of "Those from the Past" into the modern plot would instantly give a connection to the ASH saga, giving reason to see characters from there making their way back into the story. It'd be pretty cool as a long-seeded plot detail.

TreIII

New leak details.

CdSvvwPVAAAervn.jpg:large

Could this hooded man be ash? Who else is connected to the ending?

I must've missed that "Orochi Team being a possibility for DLC" thing. Anything that serves to bring Shermie, Chris, Yashiro and their "Evil!" versions into a non-dream match game would be just great for me!

And yeah...it has to be someone else from "Those From The Past". It just makes the most sense if time/space/multiverse-restrictions don't matter anymore.

Beckx

Doesn't Ash no longer even exist in this timeline?

Also who is the character from the true ending scene and what role do they play in this going forward?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The new prisoner is a dude? The dream is dead.

The new female character on the South American team wears a toucan? Beat that, Laura.

For that info, I'll just hold out hope that ONE thing has been changed since the leak, ha.

Well, if South American has a Toucan, and Nakoruru has a Mamahaha... Out of nowhere rivalry / admiration?

Doesn't Ash no longer even exist in this timeline?

Also who is the character from the true ending scene and what role do they play in this going forward?

He apparently doesn't exist, but... so what? Elisabeth was holding his hair band in the ending, even though HE'S gone. I wouldn't be shocked if she knows SOMETHING is missing in her life, and is going to lengths to figure out what.

As far as character from the true ending... got a picture?

Beckx

He apparently doesn't exist, but... so what? Elisabeth was holding his hair band in the ending, even though HE'S gone. I wouldn't be shocked if she knows SOMETHING is missing in her life, and is going to lengths to figure out what.

As far as character from the true ending... got a picture?

this person with the spear. sorry if it's obvious who this is and what their role is going forward...for KoF games I only have KoF 95, 98 (reg MVS & UM), 00 (MVS), 02 (reg MVS & UM), and XIII. Might grab the ps1 version of 99 for Vita if it's good.

Also I assume Chris being in London stage of XIII is just a silly easter egg, not something to take seriously?

BadWolf

Well, if South American has a Toucan, and Nakoruru has a Mamahaha... Out of nowhere rivalry / admiration?

A special intro between the two at the very least is a must.

this person with the spear. sorry if it's obvious who this is and what their role is going forward...I only have KoF 95, 98 (reg MVS & UM), 00 (MVS), 02 (reg MVS & UM), and XIII. Might grab the ps1 version of 99 for Vita if it's good.

That's Shion, the sub boss from KOFXI.

Very cool character and really well animated. Would love to have him return.

Tizoc

'Those form the past' is the most uninspired translation ever, but those guys really should've become playable.
I mean just LOOK AT THEM, you had Mukai and his gang all in the swaggest robes and clothes ever.
Full on gangsta yo! And they are relegated to story cutscenes.

TreIII

Also I assume Chris being in London stage of XIII is just a silly easter egg, not something to take seriously?

Who even knows, at this point. Shermie also appeared in another stage.

Most recent update/rumor about the Orochi Team is that the KOF director apparently might consider them as DLC. This is something I definitely want to see happen, since this game's boss just might be the handwave necessary to bring more older KOF chars back, as well as more crossovers.

BadWolf

Their XIV designs are their best one's imo.

I like the addition of the black glove for Chang.

oh, thanks. PS2 version is cheap right now, maybe i'll grab it (though i'd be running it on emulation).

Would be a great pick up. It has the tag system and there are many characters you won't get to play anywhere else any time soon (Oswald, Momoko, Shion, Gai Tendou, Gato, B. Jenet etc.).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The artist mimicking Shinkiro's style for the XIV designs are doing a great job.

While speaking of great art, the ending art for KoF 2003, XI, and XIII are all really great. When you compare the crazy quality of their ending / bonus arts to what's currently in SFV, it's like night and day. SNKP put a LOT of high quality work into the art of those years, and it's a shame they don't get more recognition for it.

SNK need to make Botan playable, girl is cooler than most of the regulars:

I had a hope during KoF XIII's release that she'd replace Chizuru for the modern saga, except that instead of using Mirror clones, she'd use characters she's controlling with her puppeteers strings. Would be a great way to get use out of characters like Rose, Rimello, Shroom, or any or the Those From the Past / Hisoku members who'd never get into the game otherwise.

Would be like having a Naruto Puppet Master character in a 2D fighter... it'd be pretty unique for KoF.

this person with the spear. sorry if it's obvious who this is and what their role is going forward...for KoF games I only have KoF 95, 98 (reg MVS & UM), 00 (MVS), 02 (reg MVS & UM), and XIII. Might grab the ps1 version of 99 for Vita if it's good.

Yeah, as mentioned, that's Shion. He killed Magaki at the end of KoF XI too, and then presumably made off with the body as well afterwards. It'd be interesting to see the prettiest of pretty boys come back some day, though I think he's more of an agent of later parts of the story, for now. Similar to how Vice and Mature ALWAYS keep the Orochi story relevant, even when very few other threads from the plot stick around.

A special intro between the two at the very least is a must.
Definitely hope so! Need some Rera tribute colors too, while we're at it!
'Those form the past' is the most uninspired translation ever, but those guys really should've become playable.
I mean just LOOK AT THEM, you had Mukai and his gang all in the swaggest robes and clothes ever.
Full on gangsta yo! And they are relegated to story cutscenes.
That's one of the good things about going 3D, it'd be a lot easier to stick them into the game now.
It's great how many past KoF threads COULD be linked to these approaching characters. Good quality picture too, better than the other that's floating around out there!

Feels kind of exciting that every story thread that's been loose for the past Decade or so might start getting some fresh development, eh?

Still no news about Athena?

The only news from the leak is that her outfit was possibly going to look like this recolored KoF XI art:

Other than that... Chin is our first Psycho Soldier to show up, so she and Kensou might be announced sooner rather than later. People are also hoping Kim gets shown since the next showing on the 20th of this month is in Korea.

TreIII

Love these. And gotta agree, the XIV designs are probably my favorites of the lot.

SAB CA said:
While speaking of great art, the ending art for KoF 2003, XI, and XIII are all really great. When you compare the crazy quality of their ending / bonus arts to what's currently in SFV, it's like night and day. SNKP put a LOT of high quality work into the art of those years, and it's a shame they don't get more recognition for it.

That's too true.

Sad thing is, most were too busy shitting on SNKP for still using MVS-era sprites, to acknowledge that other aspects of their overall presentation in a number of their wares were top-notch. And even with the older sprites, the quality with newer characters especially still shone clearly. Oswald and Shion, especially.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That's too true.

Sad thing is, most were too busy shitting on SNKP for still using MVS-era sprites, to acknowledge that other aspects of their overall presentation in a number of their wares were top-notch. And even with the older sprites, the quality with newer characters especially still shone clearly. Oswald and Shion, especially.

While we're talking about SNKP's crazy underappreciated quality, Why not look at all the Cameo Characters in KoF XIII?

The only ones I think I missed are Galford (I don't know how), and I could rarely identify Lin. But looking at them ZOOMED IN like this, it's great to see how beautifully detailed they are.

I know people say making HD sprite work is more and more useless as it gets higher in resolution... but man, few things have the exact feel as well constructed spritework. The style forces the designer to think about the works at a minisucle level of detail, and it helps make things like moving mouths and blinking eyes look so fluid.

More on topic, while I thought some of XI's sprites looked odd and out of place, they overall went crazy with all the extra sprites they made. Shion was fantastically detailed, Gai was great, Silber and Jyazu came out well... it was great to see SNKP, for all the shifting, changing, and financial issues they were going through, could still make something of such quality.

And then when you got to the ending cinematics and special team illustrations... they were great! They were a clear level up from the old MVS style endings. I enjoyed their minimal animation more than the overall still scenes in something like Blazblue's graphic novel story modes.

Top Bottom