• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10123.html

As reported on SNKP's Twitter and Facebook, there will be a KoF XIV event held April 26th in Osaka, 3 days before the previously mentioned KVOxTSB showing. More details are to be announced in the near future.

So we'll be getting to see a lot of XIV at the end of April... wonder if we'll see any trailers or new characters before then?

BadWolf

Digging that Angel shot.

The body types they are using for the ladies feel distinct.

http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10123.html

As reported on SNKP's Twitter and Facebook, there will be a KoF XIV event held April 26th in Osaka, 3 days before the previously mentioned KVOxTSB showing. More details are to be announced in the near future.

So we'll be getting to see a lot of XIV at the end of April... wonder if we'll see any trailers or new characters before then?

Great decision, this will give some players a chance to get practice time with the game prior to the tournament.

Two events to look forward to in April now, hopefully they have something planned for March as well (at least a trailer/reveals would be sweet).

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game is looking better and better. I am really excited. I'm digging SFV, but it's just a hold over until this comes <3

JayEH

Cc7Cef1UMAAwUVm.jpg:large
(>.>)

She's quite the Angel.
Only bad pun I'll make in here.

A.E Suggs

I can't wait for the geese reveal, that's who I hope will be in the next batch since they refuse to show us new characters yet.

BadWolf

&#12300; Over HEAVEN &#12301;;197800107 said:
I'm so happy that KOF XIV is even a thing, graphics be damned.

I just hope 2002 and 98 sold well enough on steam to warrant a PC release.

XIII sold well enough on steam to pretty much guarantee a PC release at some point.

TreIII

XIII sold well enough on steam to pretty much guarantee a PC release at some point.

Between SNKP saying that Steam was part of the reason they bothered going back to consumer games, and how PC is guaranteed to be the main/only way a number of people are going to be able to play the game worldwide? I'd say it's just a matter of time.

It's a pipedream, but I wish there would be a way for PS4 and PC players to match each other. But I could understand if just getting good netcode in general was more of a priority.

orioto

Good Art™

At that point what they need to kill that plastic look everyone hates is just some work on the skin shader/texture/color.. You're not far SNK, push a little more!

Some background (like the one in the angel shot) look way better than SFV horrible ones, to me.

Glad to see opening poses return, even for in between matches. Something I really missed in the last couple of games. Like a lot of people have said before, I REALLY hope they bring back visable sideline characters in the stages.

Leona is as reserved as I ever I see. Forever my main for opener

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Whip's looking pretty awesome in this Metal Slug Defense Art:

CdG4YmuVIAQLjBr.jpg:large

She's always a character they could "Moe-ify" if they wanted to, but they always seem to keep her very business-like and serious. Now if you make it back to us in the mainline games, I'll be quite happy...

At that point what they need to kill that plastic look everyone hates is just some work on the skin shader/texture/color.. You're not far SNK, push a little more!

Some background (like the one in the angel shot) look way better than SFV horrible ones, to me.

They do seem to be putting a lot of work into differentiating materials now (Even Leona's shirt here ha a texture to it now, when before, it was pretty plain, and might as well have been paint). Skin also has a much more reddish and lively look to it than those first screens / videos. I still think Leona's arms look a bit twiggy and long, but it's not like this look doesn't FIT her... she's often been a recipient of noodly arms art poses in older games.

As far as stages, I do love the look of the Mexico Arena, and the Church. I actually hope there's some background with large mechanical / non human motion and detail, like Krizalid's stage from '99.

kof99-stage-krizalid2-animate.gif

They seem to have the kind of color and personality of KoF stages down (especially in the artwork for the stages), the liveliness just seems to be missing.

Glad to see opening poses return, even for in between matches. Something I really missed in the last couple of games. Like a lot of people have said before, I REALLY hope they bring back visable sideline characters in the stages.

Is it ridiculous that I STILL laugh whenever Chin's mid match intro in 98UM has him jump in... and land flat on his face, before he spins to his feet? I've probably seen that thousands of times now... but somehow it still surprises me with the "THUD" sound he makes.

Also always a fan of Maxima's Scanner:

maxima-entrance99.gif

...especially with the way there was a trace line that moved along the opponents body back in 99. Such a nice bit of interactivity.

I hope they really make use of the poses.

chang-choi-crazy.gif

8562.gif

Leona is as reserved as I ever I see. Forever my main for opener
Ahh, Leona. Still wishing for the return of your Air throw. I'd honestly be as hype to see her with some new / returning tools, as I'd be to see a character trailer, heh.

Kim announcement incomming!

I hope so. Maybe with one of his new teammates, if we're lucky!

Digging that Angel shot.

The body types they are using for the ladies feel distinct.

I actually wonder about that. Besides Kula, I wonder if it's more just good pose work / clothes design than big changes to the models themselves. They do leave a properly different impression, though, and it's actually a testament to this new team how well they've brought many of the mannerisms of these classically 2D characters into 3D. They're getting there!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
When's Heidern though ?
Yeah, I know, he's not in the leaked roster ;_;

I must admit, I secretly wish for Heidern to not appear, so Leona can get some of his greatness (Such as his much, much better cross up attack boxes on his Jump C). But considering none of the Oyagi Team is on the leaked roster... and Mr. Karate IS very liked / loathed in XIII, I'd love to see them make it back together down the road.

heidern-armfire.gif

"STOOORM BRINGAAA!" was one of those soundbites I just couldn't get out of my head when I played 94 and 95 originally. I have no idea how Leona turned that into "APPLEY JUICE!", lol.

Tizoc

Fuck no.
Heidren was SNK's Guile before Washizuka
Gimme Heidren over Ayanami Rei knockoff any day.

BadWolf

Between SNKP saying that Steam was part of the reason they bothered going back to consumer games, and how PC is guaranteed to be the main/only way a number of people are going to be able to play the game worldwide? I'd say it's just a matter of time.

It's a pipedream, but I wish there would be a way for PS4 and PC players to match each other. But I could understand if just getting good netcode in general was more of a priority.

PC version would make more sense for regions like South America, China etc.

Wouldn't hold my breath for cross-play but it would be pretty sweet. Hopefully the netcode is XIII steam good or better, at minimum.

Opening poses, idle animations, unique character intros etc. all seem to be back. Feels good.

Kim announcement incomming!

Traditionally Kim has always had some of the better looking sprites in the series. 2002 got a nice update and his XII/XIII sprite is one of the best 2D sprites to date in a game imo.

So yeah, looking forward to seeing what they do with him in XIV.

Gameplay-wise I expect him to be based on the XIII version which I'm perfectly okay with, he's very badass there.

I actually wonder about that. Besides Kula, I wonder if it's more just good pose work / clothes design than big changes to the models themselves. They do leave a properly different impression, though, and it's actually a testament to this new team how well they've brought many of the mannerisms of these classically 2D characters into 3D. They're getting there!

Yeah we need to see more match footage of King and Angel to decide but they do seem to have quite a bit of personality. Especially Angel, who I was kind of worried about.

Fuck no.
Heidren was SNK's Guile before Washizuka
Gimme Heidren over Ayanami Rei knockoff any day.

What am I reading.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tizoc: The point is that she suffers some "nerfs" that he never does, because of his existence. I guess you could say her being around keeps him out of games too, heh. As a person who plays Leona, I'd like to see some of her tools strengthened, so she's not often sitting in the "Good, but takes too much work for not enough payoff!" category.

It's cool to see students get some of their masters tech in KoF games.

And an Ayanami Rei Knockoff? Guess Heidern is just a knockoff of Wemm Heidern of Space Battkeship Yamato, if we go by that reasoning.

Heidern.jpg

Naa, I think both comparisons sell the characters a bit short. ;) I think about Kim and Jubei as SNK's charge characters before Heidern. When I think of him, I think about unblockable fireballs because of a full screen command crab, egregious decisions to make him into a command character in 2K1, and a lot of really powerful normals that get spammed all day.

Traditionally Kim has always had some of the better looking sprites in the series. 2002 got a nice update and his XII/XIII sprite is one of the best 2D sprites to date in a game imo.
totally agree here.. I was surprised back then when I saw Kim's updated sprites, it looked fantastic, didn't expect that. And totally love his XIII animations.

Maxima checking Tung's ass lol

Tizoc

And an Ayanami Rei Knockoff? Guess Heidern is just a knockoff of Wemm Heidern of Space Battkeship Yamato, if we go by that reasoning.

Heidern.jpg

Naa, I think both comparisons sell the characters a bit short. ;) I think about Kim and Jubei as SNK's charge characters before Heidern. When I think of him, I think about unblockable fireballs because of a full screen command crab, egregious decisions to make him into a command character in 2K1, and a lot of really powerful normals that get spammed all day.

Even though Kim had the flip kick ala Guile, he don't have the Sonic Boobs that made Guile popular :V

But you can trace many KoF characters' origins to anime or manga.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CdK4MwcUUAAHGcc.jpg:large

Even though Kim had the flip kick ala Guile, he don't have the Sonic Boobs that made Guile popular :V

But you can trace many KoF characters' origins to anime or manga.

Yeah, I knew what ya meant. Which is why I also Included Jubei for the "Cookie" spam projectile.

Convenient we talk about characters SNK has that are inspired by Anime / Manga, and then the next days tease is "Master Roshi", ha. A huge guy that Maxima is looking down on... perfect. Guess we know the Soul forms are in full effect!

tung-huge.gif

Tizoc

CdK4MwcUUAAHGcc.jpg:large

Yeah, I knew what ya meant. Which is why I also Included Jubei for the "Cookie" spam projectile.

Convenient we talk about characters SNK has that are inspired by Anime / Manga, and then the next days tease is "Master Roshi", ha. A huge guy that Maxima is looking down on... perfect. Guess we know the Soul forms are in full effect!

tung-huge.gif

I prefer the morphing effect from the RB series; the spirit form summoning never sat well with me as a fan of RB2 Tung :/

Loona

I prefer the morphing effect from the RB series; the spirit form summoning never sat well with me as a fan of RB2 Tung :/

I prefer the consistent transformation with completely different movesets like in FF1, but I guess this isn't the game where that's making a return.
As long as he gets the occasional attack where just his arm grows huge for a mighty punch, and his throw is still a series of fast punches I'm still fine with that. I liked his aerial specials in NGBC too.

Opening poses, idle animations, unique character intros etc. all seem to be back. Feels good.

I agree. I also hope that special intros between certain characters also makes a comeback before a match even starts.

Like these here.

Finaika

From the SNK wiki

According to an issue of Neo Geo Freak, her breasts were modeled after Fumie Hosokawa and her bottom is modeled after Ai Iijima; both women were famous idols at the time.

Pretty amusing the first thing they mentioned are her breasts & her butt XD

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I prefer the consistent transformation with completely different movesets like in FF1, but I guess this isn't the game where that's making a return.
As long as he gets the occasional attack where just his arm grows huge for a mighty punch, and his throw is still a series of fast punches I'm still fine with that. I liked his aerial specials in NGBC too.

Yeah, it'd be great to get THIS:

129431-real-bout-fatal-fury-2-the-newcomers-neo-geo-screenshot-tung.png

Especially in a fully 3D game, as most don't even TRY to make characters transform such as that.

But who'se to say the existence of a spirit form means we won't see ANY actual transformations? Even back in FF2, he had the spirit form as a special:

a31.jpg

But still Transformed for the Senpuugouken:

3008-84.png

For all we know, he could transform for MAX mode, or for his Climax DM. Or even have spirit form for normal DMs, Full transformations for EX version.

I really liked him in NGBC too. The idea of having some Ki infused into even normal attacks, and the variety of dive attacks he had felt quite in-depth. Sen Shippo for days:

3014-87.png

Tizoc

Morphing models in 3D isn't easy, hence why you rarely if ever see it done.
GG Xrd has something resembling it with one of Slayer's moves, but all in the morphing technique is easier said than done.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LoL, no, those are my lines to say! ;) Though I wouldn't say it isn't "Easy", it's just time consuming, and often times not worth doing in comparison to what you get out of it. Especially in a game with 50 characters that all need work.

Still, as mentioned, this doesn't mean we won't see such a thing happen. "Not easy" doesn't mean it's impossible, and there's a lot of ways to cheese tranformations (And clothes ripping!) in 3D, especially in limited use.

Such as showing a silhouette change, before cutting back to a fully new 3D model, or just zooming in on certain parts that are expanding. Even having the "Spirit" form means there's an additional 3D model created for him, so giving it legs and having it perform SDMs isn't completely unlikely.

Having him show up here should signify we're getting close to the next trailer reveal. Definitely looking forward to it even more now, there's a strong chance Tung will be a main for me.

Loona

Trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIS7VcOxeqo&feature=youtu.be

Tung, Choi, and Chin!

Lookit, Tung has some actual cloth physics! *rewatching*

Nice. Tung's new top has a dignified look to it that older sprite versions couldn't do justice to due to having to mostly stick with a single color. Nice to see Choi wearing his striped shit again, even if the pants hint at the leak's prisoner factor.
Also, is it me or does Chin look taller? Could be the new clothes...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow, Tung looks great. Is that Day of the Dead skull guy on the left side of the ring new?

Naa, I think he's been in recent Screenshots. Looks pretty cool, though.

Nice. Tung's new top has a dignified look to it that older sprite versions couldn't do justice to due to having to mostly stick with a single color. Nice to see Choi wearing his striped shit again, even if the pants hint at the leak's prisoner factor.
Also, is it me or does Chin look taller? Could be the new clothes...

His top is also really well animated, with flow not only on the bottom of the shirt, but also even on his sleeves. Chin's fabric also flows at the bottom of the shirt during his CDM startup.

Choi's not afraid of being 100% Kreuger now, hehe.

Shin totally looks taller, he as actual LEGS now. It's kinda freaky! Yet it doesn't look wrong on him in this style.

They all look nice but Tung is awesome. I think he's a lock for my team :)

So people who like 'sim also like Tung? I can deal with this, haha. Maybe it's just because we like lighting people on fire with flame breath?

Tizoc

Oh hey Choi IS wearing Prison garb, he just tied the upper shirt around his hip.

They really are savnig the new faces for later huh.
Who is Tung' VA?

EDIT: Oh and his kick move, it's from RBS isn't it? It's usually just a flying kick.

Top Bottom