• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Tizoc

Well his other look can be an alt costume. He still looks like terry to me so I'm good. I'm cool on black characters for the sake of them though. I'll take them as long as they aren't a boxer or a sports player.
Funnily enough snk has at least 3 dark skinned boxers
Is oswald black or just tanned?

Rob python needs to be in this ish

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Picture of the Day ko ken (Say it in Osaka-ben!):

CcCnr9JUEAAEEyt.jpg:large

well I'm going way deep down the SNK rabbit hole now. Started reading the Kyo v Iori KOF manga last night.

I blame all of you.

You're welcome! ^_^

I have not bought SFV yet, but honestly If kof was to be released with 16 fighters i think I would end up buying, there's something I'm really liking about it lately, is it just me or has snk cast a spell on me?

Even if their stuff isn't entirely comparable to modern graphic completion-at-preview, there's a decent amount of heart in these trailers, and the way they have the characters acting.

We need some black characters! I agree w/ those who are saying Terry's classic design is a letdown. It should have been an alt costume IMO.

Definitely need more black folk, though I never had as much problem with the ones we have as some. Seth is very cool, but gets looked over Heavy D! is much better than 'rog, etc.

I like Terry's original FF2 threads more too, but I'm glad he has a different look for this game, that fits in with the designs of the current designers. Classic costumes can always be earnable in game, or DLC. It's much more brave for them to mess with success for the default, than to stick to their guns, and make the only new stuff preorder bonuses. *ahem*

I Honestly think that Japanese Devs don't know how to do black characters
most black dudes on KOF are either super stereo typical or quirky as hell.

Was Butt black btw?

The only super-stereotypical guy might be Lucky? And even he's not much of a negative one. At the same time, we got TJ Combo in KI in the 90s gatting people to death in a bad part of town... and that was western made!

How many confirmed black characters are there in KOF anyway? There's Heavy D, Lucky Glauber, Mr. Big, Seth, and Foxy that I can think of... Aside from Lucky Glauber I don't think any of them are "super" stereotypical or quirky.

None are particularly exciting though.

I've never heard of someone refer to Foxy as black, I'd assume she's more Hispanic or Italian? Of course, I still think Vice looks black in this particular art:

And I'd be perfectly fine with an honestly black female character that was somewhat similar.

Is that mizoguchi from Fighters History? Which one is he in? Is his voice the same? Tiger bazookooahhh!

He was in Maximum Impact: Regulation A, which is available as a download on PSN for PS3, now, for easier access. I really hoped this meant we would see more FH characters back afterwards, but it ended up being a 1-off, for now.

Loona

Oswald is irish, he just seems a bit tanned, helps to contrast with his white hair.

I like Rob Pyhton's design, but there are some stereotypical aspects to him that might not work well, unless there are more african roots in the whole roster's family trees, so that he gets to be more of an individual and less of a bad example.

BadWolf

Technically Saiki was new for XIII - despite being based on Ash, nobody else in the series plays like he does.

Saiki is basically EX Ash.

Calling him new would be like calling Claw Iori new just because he has different specials.

Everbody is just hype for team mexico
You got Angel
And u got effin Rey de Dinosaurios

Was watching Xiao Hai play Angel the other day and she is so friggin hype, can't wait to play her.

Village

I've never heard of someone refer to Foxy as black, I'd assume she's more Hispanic or Italian? Of course, I still think Vice looks black in this particular art:

Neither of those things stop you from being black

Also a lot of foxy's art looks like a black lady with nuts ass hair.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Neither of those things stop you from being black

Also a lot of foxy's art looks like a black lady with nuts ass hair.

Ok then, lets try this again. See looks more like someone like Salma Hayek, someone with more Italian or Lebanese ethnicity. Lets look at some pictures:

Foxy.jpg
foxy-2k1.gif
foxy-201k.gif

I can see an attempt at a more afro-inspired look, and she is of a more unusual mix of races, but eh... Diana's hair always reminded me more of an afropuff, even if her skin isn't always the right tone for this either:

Kula-2001_reject.jpg

Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks so:

A.E Suggs

They do? Got darn it SNK! Iike someone else above said I'd be cool with a black female. I also hope that they give vice and mature back their dresses, or at least mature since he main feature is her legs, or well it was stated as something she treasures most.

Woah his is great! I'd take a characters like that for sure. Odd that she was never playable.

Village

Ok then, lets try this again. See looks more like someone like Salma Hayek, someone with more Italian or Lebanese ethnicity. Lets look at some pictures:

Foxy.jpg
foxy-2k1.gif
foxy-201k.gif
I dunno aside from the art style in pic one, she looks black. She looks like black anime character 101, give a black person craxy hair, usually white or yellow.

Though this isnt the most absurd " this character isnt black because..." argument i had recently.

Looks good. It's nice that SNK is putting the work in to try and improve the visuals and it's actually showing. Still no GGXrd or SFV but it's not straight up embarrassing either.

It's also nice as an SNK fan from the old games to see the story transition with King from pretending to be a guy to looking more and more feminine as she got over her hangups about being considered "weak" because she's female, to the point of this screen where you can 100% tell she's a girl.

Beckx

Still no GGXrd or SFV but it's not straight up embarrassing either.

Something Gerstmann said rings true to me, it's got a vibe like someone wanted to make a PS2 era game but with a modern polygon count, HD resolution, anti-aliasing, etc. In other words it looks like a game rather than something trying for realism.

I really dig that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I dunno aside from the art style in pic one, she looks black. She looks like black anime character 101, give a black person craxy hair, usually white or yellow.

Black Anime 101 normally goes for a different tone of brown, I'd say. the tone (in art and game) looks more like a brownish skin that's not suppose to be African. The brown skin with yellow outfit colors seen on Vanessa in 2k2UM is closer to the usual "black anime" style. The features are pretty appropriate though.

Though this isnt the most absurd " this character isnt black because..." argument i had recently.

Of course not, this seems to be your thing! It's kinda good the subject even comes up lately, especially amongst fighters; they're the type of genre that should welcome a very colorful cast, and there can be a character for basically everyone.

It's also nice as an SNK fan from the old games to see the story transition with King from pretending to be a guy to looking more and more feminine as she got over her hangups about being considered "weak" because she's female, to the point of this screen where you can 100% tell she's a girl.

Yeah, it's a great thing to see over the years. I also like that it's fairly consistent, even with all the changes SNKP has been through. They must really have one solid storyline bible.

As far as the graphics thing...
Something Gerstmann said rings true to me, it's got a vibe like someone wanted to make a PS2 era game but with a modern polygon count, HD resolution, anti-aliasing, etc. In other words it looks like a game rather than something trying for realism.

I really dig that.

... yeah, I like this too. I'd much rather drop a level or 2 on the "realism" scale if it means more meaningful things like characters, varied animations, increased character interactions, more vocal lines, etc.

I love watching SNKP work on unsustainably beautiful sprites that they can use for 1 or 2 releases... but I also look forward to what they do with work that can be carried on by a wider range of developers, much more consistently.

I'm very happy that they're making steps to stick around and prosper lately. It shows more forward-thinking vision than they've exibited in at least a decade.

Loona

If this was specifically about XIV, can you provide a link please?

I wish Diana was playable. KoF needs more characters that aren't Japanese, Chinese or white Americans.

French: King, Shermie, Elisabeth
non-white Americans: Heavy D!, Lucky, Seth, Duck King
Koreans: Kim, Chang, Choi, Jhun, May Lee
English: Billy, Jenet
Germans: Krauser, Silber
Swedish: Chris
Canadian: Maxima
Mexicans: Ramon, Angel, Tizoc
Irish: Oswald
Australian: Raiden

That's enough characters to make a modern standalone fighting game.

There are plenty of characters with no stated origin, including Diana and Vanessa (this happened a lot during the NESTS arc...), and Ash's official profile even specifically states his birthplace is unknown but that he was raised in France.

BadWolf

XIV's Japanese debut announced, via Mmcafe:

SNKPlaymore has announced that its first showing of KOF14 in Japan will be at the KVO x TSB tournament, taking place April 28-May 1 in Osaka, Japan.

This Showing of KOFXIV has historical significance as it will be the first time that SNK will allow one of their games to be displayed at a fan event in Japan. While it's customary for them to do so overseas where they don't have much publicity power, the company has has traditionally sticked to only corporate activities when it came to their domestic market.

French: King, Shermie, Elisabeth
non-white Americans: Heavy D!, Lucky, Seth, Duck King
Koreans: Kim, Chang, Choi, Jhun, May Lee
English: Billy, Jenet
Germans: Krauser, Silber, Rugal
Swedish: Chris
Canadian: Maxima
Mexicans: Ramon, Angel, Tizoc
Irish: Oswald, Krizalid
Australian: Raiden
Italian: Robert
Added a few more in there

Village

Black Anime 101 normally goes for a different tone of brown, I'd say. the tone (in art and game) looks more like a brownish skin that's not suppose to be African. The brown skin with yellow outfit colors seen on Vanessa in 2k2UM is closer to the usual "black anime" style. The features are pretty appropriate though.

Of course not, this seems to be your thing! It's kinda good the subject even comes up lately, especially amongst fighters; they're the type of genre that should welcome a very colorful cast, and there can be a character for basically everyone.

It varies on the style of anime, and the diversity of skin toes they are trying to go for? Because while i'm not going to say anime has removed all its troublesome depictions of black people, let alone protrals of people just generally outside of japan. There is a lot more anime, that just does cool black people now a days. It just depnd on who's drawing .

character diversity is a good thing, I wish tekken 7 had a bit more of it, but thats for another thread.

Important question

Whens Rock Howard and Ryo from art of fighting

@MUWANdo

Banned
How many confirmed black characters are there in KOF anyway? There's Heavy D, Lucky Glauber, Mr. Big, Seth, and Foxy that I can think of... Aside from Lucky Glauber I don't think any of them are "super" stereotypical or quirky.

None are particularly exciting though.

I wouldn't say Lucky Glauber is a stereotype so much as he's literally Kareem Abdul-Jabaar.

Funnily enough, I recently read an interview where they said they initially planned for Lucky to be a huge weaboo but the designer liked the look of his baller gear and didn't want to change it, so they dropped that idea.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Doesn't seem to be a Daily pic today. Lets see if they resume over the work week.

XIV's Japanese debut announced, via Mmcafe:

Wonder if we'll have any other public appearances before that? With it being such a ways away, should hopefully see a lot more characters exhibited, and also some actual videos, unlike the majority of the C3 event.

It varies on the style of anime, and the diversity of skin toes they are trying to go for? Because while i'm not going to say anime has removed all its troublesome depictions of black people, let alone protrals of people just generally outside of japan. There is a lot more anime, that just does cool black people now a days. It just depnd on who's drawing .

Ah ahh, the "101" is the generic, basic style, not all the premutations and such. A lot of the base work for older stuff worked with whatever color Copics were best for flesh tones, or what worked best for that "suntanned beach babe" look that's normally paired with blonde hair.

Digital coloring and an overall "closer" world now-a-days definitely brings more variety, but there's still some fairly consistent generalizations.

character diversity is a good thing, I wish tekken 7 had a bit more of it, but thats for another thread.

Important question

Whens Rock Howard and Ryo from art of fighting

Though Tekken has some standout varieties, I've never really looked for it expecting much. I've always preferred the Soul Calibur team's designs, I have very low expectations of Tekken's characters to specifically satisfy any outstanding character design desires. Thus, they don't necessarily make things I like, I just learn to like what they make.

Not expecting Rock really, but Ryo... now that Robert is here, hope we see him comparatively soon. Wonder who'll be the first Psycho Soldier shown...

Beckx

If this was specifically about XIV, can you provide a link please?

from his twitter

@jeffgerstmann
I’m… kind of into the way KOFXIV looks like an up-rezzed PS2 game.

I expanded on "up rezzed" in my take on it because it's certainly not that - much higher poly counts, modern effects, anti-aliasing, but the "feel" is kind of like that era.

Not expecting Rock really,

man, I'm only just now getting into SNK stuff but Rock is the man. Finally made my way to Kain. Garou has such gorgeous, gorgeous 2D pixel art.

CcPUz9ZXIAAQGyr.jpg:large

CcPUz8gW0AAPPQU.jpg:large

Loona

Added a few more in there

I missed Robert and Krizalid, thanks - but Rugal isn't officially assigned to any country: http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/character/index.php?num=rugal
He even had his own "R" flag in Kof94 instead.

They need to bring back Micky Rogers from Art of Fighting 2

His music was awesome and I'd gladly have it again in a game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3z6f66Rr7I

I thought Krauser is austrian and not german? Geese was born to an austrian terrorist and an american woman.

Krauser is officially German: http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/character/index.php?num=krauser

lazygecko

I love that trashy urban aesthetic which permeates SNK's older fighters, and AOF2 really felt like the peak of that. Early KOF had some of that feel too in its presentation and character choices. I don't really like what KOF eventually morphed into and just started getting swamped with progressively weirder anime/moe-style characters. KOF99 felt like the tipping point for that. They need to balance things out by bringing back some of that old school grit.

Or even better, make an AOF4 which unabashedly revels in that old style.

TreIII

I don't want Chris Back. Hope it's a brand new character.

On the other hand, I do want Chris and the rest of the New Face/Orochi squad back. But I'm really doubting this character on the new "Hero Team" is him.

I just hope he doesn't steal too much of Chris' shtick in the process.

BadWolf

I don't want Chris Back. Hope it's a brand new character.

How does that description sound like Chris though?

Either way, the sleeping child sounds interesting. It's like they wanted to create a younger "drunken" boxer but didn't want to remove Chin. The concept overall does sound like something Jackie Chan would do.

First mask switching and now sleep boxing? The new characters are definitely sounding interesting, especially from the gameplay perspective.

I love that trashy urban aesthetic which permeates SNK's older fighters, and AOF2 really felt like the peak of that. Early KOF had some of that feel too in its presentation and character choices. I don't really like what KOF eventually morphed into and just started getting swamped with progressively weirder anime/moe-style characters. KOF99 felt like the tipping point for that. They need to balance things out by bringing back some of that old school grit.

SNK used to be oozed with great visual style and direction but since the fall of the old SNK it really hasn't been the same. Games like Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown, Last Blade, etc. KOF 94-95 had the gritty urban fighting feel and 96-97 had the grand tournament look and sound that you simply don't get from their games anymore.

The Light

This would be the perfect timing to bring in some maximum impact characters.
Also the rumor is interesting, but I doubt it is Chris unless they are changing his backstory.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How does that description sound like Chris though?

Either way, the sleeping child sounds interesting. It's like they wanted to create a younger "drunken" boxer but didn't want to remove Chin. The concept overall does sound like something Jackie Chan would do.

First mask switching and now sleep boxing? The new characters are definitely sounding interesting, especially from the gameplay perspective.

The only way it sounds like Chris to me is in the way it's about a young boy who'se body is used as an avatar for a great power. Which means it does have some of the familiar beats of the Orochi storyline, which is always welcome.

Sleepy "Pillow Child" does sound interesting. Is it bad I just keep thinking about Jigglypuff in Smash? If there's ever an KoF character I can see with a Hon Fu-style counter (where he runs face-first into a blow, takes it, but then gets a locking auto-combo out of it), it could be this guy.

SNK used to be oozed with great visual style and direction but since the fall of the old SNK it really hasn't been the same. Games like Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown, Last Blade, etc. KOF 94-95 had the gritty urban fighting feel and 96-97 had the grand tournament look and sound that you simply don't get from their games anymore.

The Trashy Urban aesthetic just feels like a sign of the times. Even if old SNK didn't die, I doubt it'd stay around to the same capacity.

The great thing about KoF is that it does have new designs per saga that take in the new hotness of the times... but it also generally updates the old character in fitting ways. Thus, an urban character generally still feels urban, even when standing alongside a character that's a tribute to a more recent, "bubblegummy" modern anime.

I feel like a lot of old gaming companies lost their traditional identities into the 3D and HD eras. Everyone tried to replace it with something that was more 3D friendly, which normally meant things like big crowds were scaled back for more central focus on fewer characters, and really defined, lived-in worlds became a bit more clean, due to needing more visual clarity to make 3D less-confusing.

Even though SNK switched around and died as few times, they don't feel that far removed from what Sega, Konami, Capcom, or maybe even Namco went through.

But yet I still feel some of the classic nuance behind them. Looking at Fatal Fury teams VS Art of Fighting in the Southtown stage of KoF XIII feels pretty close to an updated AoF in a way. That derelict church in XIV felt a lot less glitzy and glam than the Neo Esaka stage.

I think it's cool to be able to find a bit of each era of SNKP in modern products. It feels fitting for a large-ensemble game that's suppose to celebrate an entire companies history. I hope when SNKP gets back to making more than just 1 game series, we can see them focus on expanding some of the less-utilized styles and setting more, again.

TreIII

I hope when SNKP gets back to making more than just 1 game series, we can see them focus on expanding some of the less-utilized styles and setting more, again.

Definitely.

I think the Samurai Spirits game to come will likely be the best indicator of what else they can be capable of. I recall talk that stated said they wanted to try different graphic styles for XIV that just didn't pan out. SS, being a game that would stand to have a much smaller roster and had a very distinct presentation, would ideally be the game where they could afford to experiment with graphic styles until they can produce something that matches the same type of aesthetic that was used in the NeoGeo MVS titles.

Then if all of that works well, we could see them trying other things like MOTW2, a new Metal Slug or, dare I say, more interesting/off-beat things from their catalog like Crystalis!

...Or that's what I hope for, anyway...

Top Bottom