• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

TreIII

So i guess in kof cntinuity, tung didnt look after terry?

If I recall, in both FF and KOF continuities, Tung never really took Terry in. Tung taught him a few basics of Hakkyokuseiken, but the majority of the time, Terry did his own thing wandering the US and effectively "raised himself".

If this is all true, then I guess the thing I'd be most interested in seeing is if this would finally be the realization of the largely "aborted arc" that pointed to Tung raising the Jin kids (or at least one of them) from RBFF2.

I mean, you raise one set of boys that had ancient malevolent spirits in them, you probably develop a knack for that kind of thing!

Loona

If I recall, in both FF and KOF continuities, Tung never really took Terry in. Tung taught him a few basics of Hakkyokuseiken, but the majority of the time, Terry did his own thing wandering the US and effectively "raised himself".

If this is all true, then I guess the thing I'd be most interested in seeing is if this would finally be the realization of the largely "aborted arc" that pointed to Tung raising the Jin kids (or at least one of them) from RBFF2.

I mean, you raise one set of boys that had ancient malevolent spirits in them, you probably develop a knack for that kind of thing!

One strong reason for Tung to take on a new pupil was that prior ones sort of failed to keep up his legacy: Jeff died, Geese went rogue and seems to have focused more on Japenese techniques plus his own stuff since, and Cheng also seems to have diverged into doing his own thing.
In Jin Chonrei he had someone with the discipline to maybe keep his legacy, he he was strong-willed enough to destroy the scrolls back in the Real Bout ending.

Taking a different (or additional) pupil in the KoF continuity isn't really that far-fetched.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
12418901_579695455511196_4830251416519319411_o.jpg

The Rivalry still remains, heh. C'mon pre-fight intros! - You can definitely see some people in the background there... and they're not silhouettes! GOOD, good...

WTH did Tizoc get banned? Don't let the Heel persona take over THAT much! (T_T)7

Definitely.

I think the Samurai Spirits game to come will likely be the best indicator of what else they can be capable of. I recall talk that stated said they wanted to try different graphic styles for XIV that just didn't pan out. SS, being a game that would stand to have a much smaller roster and had a very distinct presentation, would ideally be the game where they could afford to experiment with graphic styles until they can produce something that matches the same type of aesthetic that was used in the NeoGeo MVS titles.

Then if all of that works well, we could see them trying other things like MOTW2, a new Metal Slug or, dare I say, more interesting/off-beat things from their catalog like Crystalis!

...Or that's what I hope for, anyway...

I thought I saw a tweet on SRK mentioning that Oda denied the Samsho rumor (for now), but it never seems to make it here. So I also prefer to keep hope alive.

It'll be nice if KoF can help fuel the games it takes castmates from, rather than the other way around, as it was in the past. I'd accept an Athena-centric IM@S style game as an excuse to check out the genre, or an SNK-All stars Puzzle / Card game. Heck, they DID do Rhythm of Fighters on Mobile... if Persona 4 can get away with a dancing game...

... the lore of their games could really work for about anything, and I'd love actually getting to experience it this time, rather than just reading about it popping up in Japan-only drama CDs and Asian mobile games.

Heck, if they could make things like original Neo Geo Pocket style games for Steam and consoles, I'd be there. Pocket Rumble reaffirms that I'm still totally ok with NGPC style graphics on anything, heh heh.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The realistic background characters doesn't mesh well with the cartoony graphics.

You find them realistic? They're basically glowing, and not affected by environmental shadows and lights so far. They definitely don't have the personality of the Caricatured style background people in XIII... but nothing does.

If they fit in as well as the KoF XI BG Characters, I'll be fine.

sibarraz

Banned
Yeah, I find it still weird because Rudolf Krauser von Stroheim is mentioned in Geese's background and there he's austrian. I mean austrian would make more sense for Wolfgang, with the Mozart theme and all.

I guess they made him german, because he's based on Karl Istaz as well.

Wait, Krauser is based on Karl Gotch?

Beckx

New screen looks great, that's good.

Yesterday I learned that not all PSP digital games were made Vita-compatible when I bought the PSP Orochi collection, that's bad.

BadWolf

The only way it sounds like Chris to me is in the way it's about a young boy who'se body is used as an avatar for a great power. Which means it does have some of the familiar beats of the Orochi storyline, which is always welcome.

Ah okay, thanks.

The realistic background characters doesn't mesh well with the cartoony graphics.

It's most likely just a placeholder crowd for the screenshot.

If they are still working on the fighters then I doubt they've put much time into the crowds yet, if at all.

Tizoc

Ayo could someone photoshop a sombrero to this image and resize it into GAF avatar size please?
Oaa063T.png

Bonus points for making it transparent background :V

With Shen possibly not in the roster, let's hope the Galactic Phantom is actually good this time. The regular version was useless in XIII.

I want Ralf to retain his KoF 97 Galactica Phantom with the animation of 02 GP.

Tizoc

OK what is up with all these Billy Kane fanarts I'm seeing recently? Not that it's a bad thing, but I really hope we get some KING OF DINOSAURS fanart after that Japan event.

qcf x2

The background characters look like digitized sprites to me, can't tell based on screen shots of course, but... the game is looking better and better.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cci3aOKUEAAM-_j.jpg:large

So.. Maxima might have an Anti-Air chest beam now? I'd be happy with that, especially if it has special functionality off his DF+C command normal (like allows for additional juggle, compared to doing the Horizontal version.)

I kinda hope we see more variations of moves by button strength. I wouldn't mind different throws for characters depending on button strength, or for one variant of Terry's power wave to be Round wave, for example.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CcnYYCzUUAANwye.jpg:large

So some are speculating that we would get a team of tung+chonrei+chonshu
I am ok with that

Wouldn't be against it. It'd be nice for Tung to bring new characters with him, but just as nice to see him bring those 2 into the fray. They'd also have some good story links they could bring more squarely into the KoF universe.

The more Vegeta homage moves in Chonrei's arsenal, the better. Final Explosion Climax DM all day.

majin-vegeta.gif

BadWolf

From SRK user Zakeru:

According to Kuroki there will be a surprise information reveal about SNK in the months of March and April. He said "It will surely surprise you!".

Gotta say, it feels so good to get SNK news/reveals/trailers pretty much every month now.

So.. Maxima might have an Anti-Air chest beam now? I'd be happy with that, especially if it has special functionality off his DF+C command normal (like allows for additional juggle, compared to doing the Horizontal version.)

Maxima is looking good. The way they modeled his chest cannon this time reminds me of Metal Slug for some reason. I'm expecting his suit to open up in various cool ways during special moves, you could see the flaps on his arm open to release steam during Vapor Cannon already.

His df+C is a launcher now going by the last trailer, wonder if it has that property while used raw only (like in the trailer) or during a combo as well.

And yeah looks like they might make more use of the chest beam this time than just for a neomax.

TreIII

So some are speculating that we would get a team of tung+chonrei+chonshu
I am ok with that

Wouldn't mind it, but it'd seem a bit odd, considering most rumors state that Tung's team is the new "hero" team, and made it sound as if the two boys were also brand new.

Even so...it'd be nice if the Jin twins' backstory with Tung was still referred to in some way.

And bring on that tournament, already. I really wanna see more of this game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gotta say, it feels so good to get SNK news/reveals/trailers pretty much every month now.

Agreed, they really are alive again (TT_TT) I won't say I never expected it to happen, but this is... highly unusual for a JP company like them. I look forward to watching them carry this King kind Of Momentum.

I go into every E3 / Gamescon / TGS hoping to hear info from them, ha. Now, it might actually make sense to look forward to such a possibility again.

Maxima is looking good. The way they modeled his chest cannon this time reminds me of Metal Slug for some reason. I'm expecting his suit to open up in various cool ways during special moves, you could see the flaps on his arm open to release steam during Vapor Cannon already.

His df+C is a launcher now going by the last trailer, wonder if it has that property while used raw only (like in the trailer) or during a combo as well.

And yeah looks like they might make more use of the chest beam this time than just for a neomax.

I can see the Metal Slug comparison, yeah. Which is very good, because it always felt so tacked on before. "He's mostly human, but he has a matrix-style chest cavity that houses a gun! Please understand."

I always hated his DF+C before XIII. Of course, he had MONGOLIAN before that, but they made smart changes to it in XIII that just made it work great. Comboing the heavy V. KANNUN off a hit with it just felt good. And his EX Anti-air became a real honest DP! So much better than the older styles which never really worked as much more than predictive anti-airs.

I'm really glad he keeps getting love. I always feel like SNK(P) has care and respect, even for their non-main, classically cool characters, when they could just pull a Zangief, and halt the design progression of someone like him for 20 years, heh.

https://twitter.com/RachidAouda/status/705412349889527808

according to the leaker kof14 athena looks close to this #KOFXIV https://t.co/dVuyGnDLjk

shuVUJr

Even if it's a Serafuku, that doesn't really mean much given these guys style. They like Stiched materials, words and logos on outfits, detailed gloves, and unique shoes. If she does have a more plain look, that'll stick out because most of the designs are much more complex.

If her design is updated, it'll be a good, Athena-worthy refresh, hopefully.

Every time a new team gets to take on Athena, I wonder if she's gonna step over that fanservice line and start panty-flashing people (the only time it's really happened was with her "Another" design in MI series). Proper Athena always stays magically non-flash, like Kagome in Inuyasha.

I just hope she doesn't have the giant head and eyes she (and Yuri) had in KOF XIII.

Worry not, this game's character design style isn't as varied as Nona's art in XIII.

I find it a real shame how much people whine about Yuri and Athena's designs. 2 main female designs get substantial body/silhouette designs that make them unique amongst a freakishly large cast of characters, and all people do is complain. As much as people hard on "generic anime designs", you think watching a group take characters that would almost NEVER be modified by most other companies, and actually taking them to their roots (Yuri as a goofball, but undeniably talented heir to the Kyokugen style, Athena as inspired by her original design inspirations from her original game artist arts, would be more accepted.

I wonder if Kenou will get another update / reversion to his blue jean style, or keep the more obviously martial-artsy look.

These all come out pretty great. LoL, it really looks like the texture work in the game, basically... and that's... appropriate.

BadWolf

NARUTO! SASUK~ oh wait, nevermind.

One thing the two latest pics show is the nice progress they have made with that stage since reveal where it looked like this:

Looks much nicer now with better detail and lighting, especially in the background buildings.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10658235/#Comment_10658235

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10658513/#Comment_10658513

Even if it's a Serafuku, that doesn't really mean much given these guys style. They like Stiched materials, words and logos on outfits, detailed gloves, and unique shoes. If she does have a more plain look, that'll stick out because most of the designs are much more complex.

If her design is updated, it'll be a good, Athena-worthy refresh, hopefully.

Yeah that design isn't bad but it would be pretty underwhelming.

Hope they go all out like they did with Beni and do a great refresh. They should take a break from the sailor outfit.

And yeah there's no need for panty flashing with her. Still remember how some people were trying to get a peek when they released those KOFXII sprites online lol.

With Kensou, which would you guys prefer? The old casual outfit + happy Kensou or the more serious + martial arts outfit Kensou from XII/XIII?

Zerojul

With Kensou, which would you guys prefer? The old casual outfit + happy Kensou or the more serious + martial arts outfit Kensou from XII/XIII?

I really like casual outfit more but I'm not sure I'm in the majority here. I'd be down for a nice redesign ala Beni in any case.

Fandangox

I really like casual outfit more but I'm not sure I'm in the majority here. I'd be down for a nice redesign ala Beni in any case.

I prefer casual outfit Kensou as well, but wouldnt mind something different from what we got in XII/XIII either.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
One thing the two latest pics show is the nice progress they have made with that stage since reveal where it looked like this:

Looks much nicer now with better detail and lighting, especially in the background buildings.

Yup, especially great to see how much more separate the characters are from the background. The sky / darker building completely remind me of old "stolen from Akira" SNK cityscapes, and I thought it looked very cool during King's Climax DM in the trailers.

Yeah that design isn't bad but it would be pretty underwhelming.

Hope they go all out like they did with Beni and do a great refresh. They should take a break from the sailor outfit.

And yeah there's no need for panty flashing with her. Still remember how some people were trying to get a peek when they released those KOFXII sprites online lol.

It'd be a nice contrast now, but Athena should be more than JUST a schoolgirl, surely. She's had all these Chinese-inspired fighting outfits before... she's suppose to be one of the characters who changes the most. Guess she's stuck in a design rut lately, ha.

Her lack of actually showing anything is so pop-idol-photobook, ha. Considering we have another Idol being added to the game, they can throw all the "naughty" stuff her way.

The Psycho Soldier inspired outfit reminds me of Ranma 1/2, and it'd definitely feel more unique in this game (so far) where just about everyone has Jeans or highly-stitched clothes on. I also feel like it'd get more mileage from a story standpoint, with the new Chinese characters.

But I wouldn't mind seeing SOME variant of his classic looks back.

Maybe they'll go all the way back to 94 for inspiration?

I was a fan of his XI look too though.

I think he can still have personality-filled animation slipping in through any design, but I really love his calm ducking animation, and the exaggerated deep breath he takes before doing his rapid punch DM in XII/XIII.

Top Bottom