• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

There's now 33 characters left to reveal, & out of the 33, there's only about 14 original characters left as they've already revealed the first 17:

Geese Howard, Vice, Mature, Ryo & Yuri Sakazaki, Kim Kaphwan, Choi Bounge, Joe Higashi, Goro Daimon, Ramon, Athena Asamiya, Sie Kensou, Chin Gentsai, & Mai Shiranui (16 if you count Tung Fu Rue & Nakoruru; Although Tung was only playable in the PS2 version of KOF XI & that Nakoruru was never playable in KOF before).

Afterwards, that leaves the characters being new to KOF in general.

A.E Suggs

I've been ok with most of the redesigns but still don't like Terry's no matter how hard I want to.

Not really a redesign so much as its his very first fatal fury look.

Yeah, I agree. Terrys classic "vest" costume is way better. It looks more comfortable for fighting and emphasizes his physical power (because of his buff arms).

Fingers crossed. Usually, I dont care about male costumes much at all, but I'd pay for classic Terry.
That is classic terry, at most for a redesign the only thing that would change is the no sleeves and a star on his jacket and his hat saying fatal fury.

latest

TreIII

Ron introduced the Dragon Spirit concept right? So, in my mind Duo should be involved in Dragon Spirit business because his father should also be involved. Unless snk is just dropping that side of the plot.

Well, it was Kensou (and Bao) who really kicked the concept off in 99, before we got an official name for it in 2000. Ron, Rin, Duo and the Flying Brigand sub-pot run tangential to the Dragon Spirit, only because Ron expressed passing interest in that power.

Since it doesn't appear apparent that the Flying Brigands are involved much at all in this particular game, I'm guessing we'll finally have a chance to give the Dragon Spirit subplot some actual development for the first time in like 15 years, before Ron likely starts popping up again. And then that's likely when we'll see Rin, Duo and hopefully other Flying Brigands again (which would just make sense, if China is going to be much more of a focus this time around anyway).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Dragon Spirit arc? See, another reason why Elisabeth's team getting shafted is weird.

Why? Just because someone is involved with something, doesn't mean they have to be in EVERY angle of it. Considering how many new characters they have to introduce for a new arch, someone will have to drop somewhere.

It makes sense that Tung could be, allude to the idea of the Phoenix Scrolls (Geese has them?) being related to the Dragon Spirit

I love how KoF isn't afraid to have master characters to lead people on their path. Tung being there is also a great excuse for certain friends to show up in this Saga...

Ron introduced the Dragon Spirit concept right? So, in my mind Duo should be involved in Dragon Spirit business because his father should also be involved. Unless snk is just dropping that side of the plot.

Or they'll be in the sequel, or extended portions of the story. Gotta give a story some room to breath, and space for new characters to become established.

Sayad

I like how different their designs look this time.

Usually the difference was just in some accessories (hat/bandanna, gloves) but this time the similarity is only in theme (military) and they both look pretty distinct otherwise.

And Ralf's muscles/skin look a lot better defined in that pic than when he was first revealed.
The magic of not being a sprite swap of each others! :D

Loona

Geese Howard, Vice, Mature, Ryo & Yuri Sakazaki, Kim Kaphwan, Choi Bounge, Joe Higashi, Goro Daimon, Ramon, Athena Asamiya, Sie Kensou, Chin Gentsai, & Mai Shiranui (16 if you count Tung Fu Rue & Nakoruru; Although Tung was only playable in the PS2 version of KOF XI & that Nakoruru was never playable in KOF before).

Nakoruru was playable in the Gameboy port of KoF95, and IIRC was a special striker in KoF2000.

It's kinda funny to think about KoF2000's special strikers, since they were from all over the SNK universe, and the rumor involves a boss being able to tap into all of that... opens the doors neatly for some retroactively relevant plot elements...

TreIII

Nakoruru was playable in the Gameboy port of KoF95, and IIRC was a special striker in KoF2000.

It's kinda funny to think about KoF2000's special strikers, since they were from all over the SNK universe, and the rumor involves a boss being able to tap into all of that... opens the doors neatly for some retroactively relevant plot elements...

Definitely.

At this point, we might be able to see the NGBC kids again.

Now, I'm REALLY hoping they may consider DLC as a means to just continue to build on XIV as a base.

JayEH

Not really a redesign so much as its his very first fatal fury look.

That is classic terry, at most for a redesign the only thing that would change is the no sleeves and a star on his jacket and his hat saying fatal fury.

Oh ok. My main problem i have with his look right now is I think there is too much going on with his jacket. All the words and such on the back.

#freeteamusa

I would rather have all new characters to better represent Team USA, to be honest.

And with superior designs so that they could just as well be as relevant as the other teams. Like back at KOF '95 when they gave us Iori, Billy, & Eiji as the new USA team back then.

latest

Yeah, you are right. It has been a looong time since I played the original FF. When I think "classic Terry", I think KoF 98. Thats the Terry I'd liked to have seen this time too.

Terry98_stance.gif

Village

Meh, I don't know why they thought reviving a 25-year-old design would be a good idea. This isn't the 90s anymore.
Considering in this time, in reality, 90's and 80's have returned. It might be perfect timing.

Its like if you watch fresh prince now, you go outside and see a lot of outfit choices replicated.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I would rather have all new characters to better represent Team USA, to be honest.

And with superior designs so that they could just as well be as relevant as the other teams. Like back at KOF '95 when they gave us Iori, Billy, & Eiji as the new USA team back then.
You really got no love for Heavy D! ?

Loona

Meh, I don't know why they thought reviving a 25-year-old design would be a good idea. This isn't the 90s anymore.

It was weird for me when in 96 they reminded everyone that they actually named a character "Mr Big" - an outfit's no big deal and 3D makes it possible to change.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cb-IQhXXIAAqiHa.jpg

Anyone excited that now half of what's left is all new?

Yes, it feels great. I was impressed when we got 1 new character in Nameless in 2k2 UM... and we got very few entirely new characters in XII-series. Having real new canon characters reminds me of how I felt when I first saw XI, with all these crazy new to KoF characters and sprites.

And the characters designed for a game usually embody the special systems and style of the game makers best, so I look forward to seeing what these "styleless" artist get to show that's their own, rather than takes on someone else's designs.

Loona

But Nameless wasn't new, just redesigned K9999 to avoid copyright infringement.

It's still pretty interesting that they bothered to give him his own story despite him only being in a storyless game - the girl from his story, Isolde, appeared almost as proeminently as he did in the game's promotional material, which is pretty unusual for an NPC.

BadWolf

Personally I'm glad that they went back to the full jacket from FF1.

Always thought that they sort of "Ryu-fied" his design by ripping the sleeves.

The magic of not being a sprite swap of each others! :D

Indeed!

Hope he has all his normals back again as well instead of borrowing Ralf's.

Like SAB CA mentioned, Ralf and Clark should share as little as possible in their movesets.

Vice and Mature should also get the same treatment. They will probably have new threads too to match Iori (their XII-XIII design was fantastic but it was custom made with Claw Iori in mind).

Image of the R U O K

I seriously need to know if he asks that again, it has never been the same without it.

Anyone excited that now half of what's left is all new?

Heck yeah, the original characters for the mainline KOF series are usually fantastic.

Can't wait to see what they come up with, we haven't see a brand new character in the mainline series since friggin KOFXI.

Beckx

well I'm going way deep down the SNK rabbit hole now. Started reading the Kyo v Iori KOF manga last night.

I blame all of you.

TreIII

Heck yeah, the original characters for the mainline KOF series are usually fantastic.

Can't wait to see what they come up with, we haven't see a brand new character in the mainline series since friggin KOFXI.

Damn, when you put it like that...

I have not bought SFV yet, but honestly If kof was to be released with 16 fighters i think I would end up buying, there's something I'm really liking about it lately, is it just me or has snk cast a spell on me?

qcf x2

We need some black characters! I agree w/ those who are saying Terry's classic design is a letdown. It should have been an alt costume IMO.

We need some black characters! I agree w/ those who are saying Terry's classic design is a letdown. It should have been an alt costume IMO.

I Honestly think that Japanese Devs don't know how to do black characters
most black dudes on KOF are either super stereo typical or quirky as hell.

Was Butt black btw?

Was Butt black btw?
I thought Heavy D
!
was a pretty cool and respectable character, coming from an African American such as myself

Was Butt black btw?
How many confirmed black characters are there in KOF anyway? There's Heavy D, Lucky Glauber, Mr. Big, Seth, and Foxy that I can think of... Aside from Lucky Glauber I don't think any of them are "super" stereotypical or quirky.

None are particularly exciting though.

Flowmoney

We need some black characters!

It's unreal with KOF being the closest to a world fighter nowadays. They didn't even aim to do a Team Africa. I mean black people exist in the US , Europe , Mexico and etc. meaning if they didn't do that there isn't really place they used that they can't have one slot at.

They have an interesting map of the world when you think about.

How many confirmed black characters are there in KOF anyway? There's Heavy D, Lucky Glauber, Mr. Big, Seth, and Foxy that I can think of... Aside from Lucky Glauber I don't think any of them are "super" stereotypical or quirky.

Isn't black guy boxing considered a stereotype of sorts?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I thought Tung Fu was Kim's master? At least that's how they sorta painted it in the earlier games. Maybe in the anime. It's been a while...

qcf x2

Kushnood Butt's name is Marco Rodriguez, so no.

Well, you can be black and latin, right? One is a race, the other is an ethnicity. At least they've done black alts before (Vanessa and I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody else). A black Athena would be awesome, it would essentially be Nadia.

I think that's it. Fatal Fury 3 had Bob Wilson (also black/brazilian).

They could also add Fate, this boxer guy and the OG Sean.

As talented as SNK is at character design, it's time for some better representation!

TreIII

Technically Saiki was new for XIII - despite being based on Ash, nobody else in the series plays like he does.

True, yes. I guess by the time Saiki was out, I had probably already went back to 02UM by that point!

We need some black characters!

I can only hope that the supposed team from South America may be the ones who could deliver in this area.

A "girl", a "ninja" and a "cyborg boxer". At least ONE of them should be able to inject the kind of flavor that KOF has largely been missing.

Vyse24

Are Zero, Cloned Zero and Duck King considered black?

You really got no love for Heavy D! ?

Yeah, I like him. :)

Though if you're going to bring him back & have him be relevant, then SNK needs to "pull a K9999 to Nameless" & give him a new name along with two other better designed teammates. This is the best time to do so since almost no one knows who the American Sports Team are.

Fuck American Sports Team, bring back Heavy D, Duck King and Rick Strowd and just make the America Team.

Like this.

Loona

Is that mizoguchi from Fighters History? Which one is he in? Is his voice the same? Tiger bazookooahhh!

He was in KoF Maximum Impact Regulation A.

In exchange for him being in KoF, FH's license holders at the time, G-Mode, for to make. Fatal Fury Vs Fighters' History beat-em-up with sprites from FF Special and FH for mobile.

Tizoc

He was in KoF Maximum Impact Regulation A.

In exchange for him being in KoF, FH's license holders at the time, G-Mode, for to make. Fatal Fury Vs Fighters' History beat-em-up with sprites from FF Special and FH for mobile.
Ok now i gotta find a way to lay that game

A.E Suggs

Well his other look can be an alt costume. He still looks like terry to me so I'm good. I'm cool on black characters for the sake of them though. I'll take them as long as they aren't a boxer or a sports player.

Top Bottom