• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Amedo310

Revenger fits Dino well, however it seems like combinaion of Mucsle Revenger and Muscle Millennium. Multiple headbutts in the air into a horizontal headbutt to the side. Also, screw SNK for naming Clark's new move, Clark Buster. That shit makes no sense since he knows that he is doing big Ben bash/ electric. He is literally a Kinnikuman fan who read that shit on the side.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The one from before was plucked out of Samsho-Sen or such, there's a comparison of it hidden somewhere on Twitter. So yeah, definitely was a faked photoshop.

For that matter, here's Ronny's comparison of Nako's style:

nakoruru_costumes_by_ronnymaia-da0fkym.jpg

I'm such a newb. Knew she looked familiar. Played Samurai Showdown on sega genesis as a kid.

stn

I have a feeling this will be the KOF that really gets me into the series. I double-dipped with XIII but didn't play it as much. And I also still watch Fatal Fury Special GGPO matches, lol. Characters I will have to try out: Geese, Terry, Kyo, Nelson, Athena, Joe, and Yamazaki (if the DLC rumor is true).

BadWolf

I think it was linked to in the trailer thread, worth posting again for sure though.

This video isn't quite new, but has some nice comparison between the original versions of Mui Mui and her KoF XIV counterpart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyoj1sLQ4QI

Thanks for the link, the guy does a good job analyzing the trailers actually.

The Mai/Bandeiras analysis is great, sweet intro and really shows how heavily Bandeiras is influenced by Hanzo (special moves) and Galford (Climax DM), with a touch of Eiji.

Shauni

So, how different is KOF from Street Fighter? I've never really played a KOF before. Kind of want to try and get into it, but the only fighting game I've ever played for an extended period is SF and Smash (but I know Smash is basically its own island).

So, how different is KOF from Street Fighter? I've never really played a KOF before. Kind of want to try and get into it, but the only fighting game I've ever played for an extended period is SF and Smash (but I know Smash is basically its own island).

I'm sure someone here can give a more technical reply as I'm a very casual player, but if you're used to Street Fighter, getting into KoF isn't that different. It's a tad faster (but not Marvel fast) plus you have different defensive options like Rolling and Running as well as different kinds of jumps and hops.

This reminds me though, I remember early builds having Just Defend. Does anyone know if that is that still in?

Village

Y'know, that's actually the first time I've heard I've heard the "KOF is like a 2D Tekken" kind of comparison actually explained well. I may end up using that in conversation, myself.

I kind of don't agree, but hey whatever makes it tick for people I guess. I say this as a person who is a tekken stan above all else.

Didn't know wallbounces exist in KoF

They were very sparse in prior KOF games. I know that Maxima had a wall bounce off of a counter hit vapor cannon in earlier KOF games. I can't remember many others.

KOF XIV is making it more widely available to the cast. Groundbounces may be a first for the series, though. I can't recall those being in prior games.

Korigama

They were very sparse in prior KOF games. I know that Maxima had a wall bounce off of a counter hit vapor cannon in earlier KOF games. I can't remember many others.
One Inch for Kula and K' before XIII also had counter wire (wall bounce on counter hit). Kula's Counter Shell still did by then, IIRC.

BadWolf

Iirc counter wires were introduced as a universal mechanic in KOF2001, pretty much every character had them in that game.

Some also had critical wires which triggered on specific attacks without the need for a counter.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10172.html

Thanks for good ole MMC for making it extra clear for all:

The stream will start at 10AM JST at one of the URLs below. The first 3 hours will be freeplay. From 1PM JST, the venue will host the first ever Exhibition tournament for KOF14, which of course will also be streamed. The tournament will be using the 24-character build. Check below for time zones.

A total of 128 entrants are already signed up for this Exhibition tournament.

A number of high-level players are scheduled for the tournament including-- Ogosho, Kyabetsu, Kindevu, Keykakko, Sange Tencho, Keykakko, Taki Jinpachi, Umezono, Score, Turkey, Fair, Pam, Ponzaman, Hamatai.

Time Zones
PST - April 29 6PM
CST - April 29 8PM
EST - April 29 9PM
London- April 30 2AM
Paris/Rome- April 30 3AM
Moscow/Helsinki- April 30 4AM
Dubai- April 30 5AM
New Delhi- April 30 6:30AM
Singapore/Shanghai- April 30 9AM

shaowebb

Bit more to it than that. Dodge rolls, runs, just defending, lots of ground projectiles and rekkas, HOPS and what they do to footsies and spacing mindgames, how Projectiles work in KOF in terms of recovery and how they are used are all pretty big. KoF you see folks toss fireballs as a means in more than trying to zone all day. Also try jumping in on some fireballs in KoF and see where that gets you.

Biggest thing though...METER. Its a gauntlet. You blow your meter early and you deny yourself tools in later rounds and you feed them a full stick of butter to fry you up with. EX moves typically mean a ton as well as Max stuff. Knowing how to pace your opponent's play and conserve meter properly is pretty damned big. You try and get swaggy and its not something that kills you typically feed so much bar you regret goin for it in many cases. Just ask Ash Crimson players.

Theres a lot of mental shit that folks will need to get used to that other fighters may not use due to all this. Footsies, zoning, and meter mindgames are all very different in KoF than other fighters. If you're coming in from SF you will definitely feel it. IMO its a good setup. Plenty of offensive and defensive tools across the board that are universal to let folks compete and compete very well at high level before even diggin into any particulars with characters.

She's only around to promote Samurai Spirits VII/Samurai Shodown VII.

God I hope so, a new SamSho (or Last Blade) would be such a breath of fresh air for the FGC. No other series out there are quite like them and their mechanics are just as fun and unique today as they were in the 90s.

My iCloud is being a pain in the ass, and it's taking me forever to figure out how to lift shit off this phone and onto my PC so I can convert it to a webm. It's not even good footage anyway. Do people still want this garbage? It's from an older build, and I filmed it in landscape like a pleb.

BadWolf

My iCloud is being a pain in the ass, and it's taking me forever to figure out how to lift shit off this phone and onto my PC so I can convert it to a webm. It's not even good footage anyway. Do people still want this garbage? It's from an older build, and I filmed it in landscape like a pleb.

If it were last week or before I would have said yes for sure but this week we sort of got bombarded with footage, and an 8 hour long stream is happening less than a couple of hours from now.

Really appreciate you taking the time to record though, thanks :)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
God I hope so, a new SamSho (or Last Blade) would be such a breath of fresh air for the FGC. No other series out there are quite like them and their mechanics are just as fun and unique today as they were in the 90s.

There is a rumor that it's in the work so I hope that the rumor is correct tho.

OmegaDL50

Game finally showed up on Amazon for pre-order. It also has the Prime pre-order discount. Almost missed it because there was no box art available when I did a search for it wasn't the first item on the list.

Prime member the discount isn't showing up in the checkout process, oddly. It's probably a minor issue that will be sorted in time.

Regardless I want KOFXIV on day one.

C-Drive

Has there been any word on a Steam release? Seems they are pushing the PS4 release hard - this and the Last Blade 2 re-release being targeted for PS4 - is why I'm asking.

Beckx

Prime member the discount isn't showing up in the checkout process, oddly. It's probably a minor issue that will be sorted in time.

that often happens with new listings. a month or so ago it actually resulted in people who pre-ordered early getting double discounts, supposedly, but they fixed that.

TreIII

Oh, I def agree. Hell, most around these parts would know SS is the only SNK series I love more than any other.

But I don't mind waiting a bit longer for then to get it right. The selfish part of me hopes it's Neo_G's first project upon joining SNK.

OmegaDL50

Man if KOFXIV is taking after KOF '98 at least how SNK is pushing the marketing in regards to the game.

I hope they do the same thing with SamSho7 and have it closer to SamSho4 in terms of mechanics.

Samurai Shodown 4 is undoubtedly my favorite game in the entire SamSho series. so if the 7th game can be as close to it as possible with some refined mechanics with most of the returning cast and some new characters it would be awesome.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Actually, from what we've heard so far, Nakoruru's inclusion seems to be more because she was in Pachislot (just like her teammates plus Alice), rather than that she's directly rep'n Samurai Shodown.

Of course, we can hope it's a bit of both.

All these builds and we still haven't seen any Angel gameplay ._. I bet tonight's stream will be no different :(

There's only 2 major builds we've really seen a lot of, and yeah, her and Ralf haven't shown up in much gameplay. (And King was in the 9 chara build, but was taken out the 24 chara one). Just because they've shown up in a trailer, doesn't mean their gameplay kinks have been worked out yet, y'know?

And yeah, it won't be different, as this new 24 chara build is the same one from the Famitsu stream from the other day.

But look at Nelson gameplay when you see it; his list of a few specials (A command dash and a command throw), but a lot of "Command Normals" is pretty similar in theory to Angel gameplay, so you might get an idea of how they'll adapt her to this game through it.

Since neither he nor she can EX their moves in the same ways as the rest of the cast, they might depend on dodge moves or command throws to help them with juggles and combo extensions.

Beckx

i really love the way the game looks tbh

i really hate feeling like i have to apologize for that.

backgrounds are really looking good

OmegaDL50

I don't mind Sylvie's movelist, but don't particularly care for her outfit she's wearing. Just seems garishly over designed, but since she basically mimics Kyary Pamyu Pamyu even with a similar name (Sylvie Paula Paula being her full name apparently), I suppose I'll just tolerate it.

The electrical arc / net attack seems to be interesting and is varied enough to be distinctly different then Benimaru usage of electricity.

I also like the Electrical lift and slam attack. It kind of reminds of the Ermac Telekinetic Slam from Mortal Kombat. Seems odd for KOF to have similar type of move.

I wonder if the EX Electric Slam will ground bounce for juggle potential.

Top Bottom