• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Beckx

we're going back to the future

Cg5MZ15WgAADnhA.jpg

Cg5MZzcWMAASC3W.jpg

I wonder why Choi and Chang aren't with Kim today and are in their prisoner wear.

those two are probably beyond help at this point

That, or the time reset just made it so Kim's "rehab" never happened.

Remember how they wanted to have Choi and Chang on an "Outlaw" team in the first place?

The prisoner team was planned from the beginning of KOF '94, but SNK wounded up changing that:

Link.

In the first stage of the development, we wanted to add another “criminal” character to Chang and Choi’s team, which would have been the “Prisoner Team.” But due to various circumstances, we added Kim instead and made it the Korean team.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Posted it in this thread myself last night, sourced from a guy who joined SRK an hour ago at the time. It made it's rounds for a while, before the trailer dropped.

Most feel like it's a Fake Google translated-to-Japanese, too-good-to-be-true thing, because a lot of the wrong Kanji and grammar is used all over the original "Japanese" leak.

The only people who keep saying they're unhappy, even after that legendary bonus list, are Rock players ;-)

OmegaDL50

Last boss's time/dimensions travel shenanigans I guess.

This is something I wanted to talk about so I"m cross posting from another thread.

There was six ? boxes on the select screen. So we can assume one of them is Classic Kyo, one for the Sub-boss Antonov, one for the main boss, and one is the Random select, so that leaves two more who would be the secondary and possibly third DLC characters?

Wouldn't be a total shock if Rugal was one of those hidden boxes who was brought back through the time travel mechanic. I mean they brought over Nakoruru for example.

So Rugal being killed off in the previous games but SNK coming up with a plot reason to bring him back via time travel would be kind of cool.

It's not like SNK hasn't brought back characters supposed dead but turned out not to be (Mature and Vice in the storyline games in this instance)

Rugal coming back because of time travel shenanigans isn't implausible.

This is something I wanted to talk about so I"m cross posting from another thread.

There was six ? boxes on the select screen. So we can assume one of them is Classic Kyo, one for the Sub-boss Antonov, one for the main boss, and one is the Random select, so that leaves two more who would be the secondary and possibly third DLC characters?

Wouldn't be a total shock if Rugal was one of those hidden boxes who was brought back through the time travel mechanic. I mean they brought over Nakoruru for example.

So Rugal being killed off in the previous games but SNK coming up with a plot reason to bring him back via time travel would be kind of cool.

It's not like SNK hasn't brought back characters supposed dead but turned out not to be (Mature and Vice in the storyline games in this instance)

I saw only four. One for sub-boss, one for final boss, one for random character select, and another for random team select.

ExVicis

Well Vice and Mature were "Ghosts" but they does not remove your point, if SNK likes a character they will make them able to come back for a game. And if what I've read is true SNK loves Rugal as much as Geese.

OmegaDL50

Yeah it's not that there are more than two boss slots, it's that the boss slots are as big as 3 regular slots each.

Hmm. I need to rewatch the trailer again.

Well Vice and Mature were "Ghosts" but they does not remove your point, if SNK likes a character they will make them able to come back for a game. And if what I've read is true SNK loves Rugal as much as Geese.

Just hearing Norio Wakamoto going Genosaidu Cutta and that epic laugh is more then enough reason for Rugal to exist in a modern game.

Loona

So is "another world" something the leak didn't grab right?

I'm pretty sure the leak referred to Mui Mui, Nakoruru and Love Heart as the Another World team.

I am so psyched for multiversal shennanigans I'm afraid to get disappointed, imagining stuff like a remade take on Ryo's Stage from Fatal Fury Special with glimpses into multiple SNK universes, kind of like DC comics spreads in the kind of multiverse events where they acknowledge the mess that is the Hawkman history and near-forgotten what-if stories, for example.

OmegaDL50

I'm pretty sure the leak referred to Mui Mui, Nakoruru and Love Heart as the Another World team.

I am so psyched for multiversal shennanigans I'm afraid to get disappointed, imagining stuff like a remade take on Ryo's Stage from Fatal Fury Special with glimpses into multiple SNK universes, kind of like DC comics spreads in the kind of multiverse events where they acknowledge the mess that is the Hawkman history and near-forgotten what-if stories, for example.

So who is SNK equivalent of Axel Asher going to be?

Still I never thought I'd see Nakoruru in a KOF game considering the time gap from the feudal era and the modern KOF era outside of some cross over stuff like Capcom Vs SNK for example.

Still I never thought I'd see Nakoruru in a KOF game considering the time gap from the feudal era and the modern KOF era outside of some cross over stuff like Capcom Vs SNK for example.

Eh, KOF always has been a dream match turned into an actual series. You get mashups of characters from the 1970s and 1990s, so why not add one from the 1790s too?

Plus Nakoruru is supposed to be an immortal spirit at one point too, no? Not that they'll go with that angle for this game.

Tizoc

Eh, KOF always has been a dream match turned into an actual series. You get mashups of characters from the 1970s and 1990s, so why not add one from the 1790s too?

Plus Nakoruru is supposed to be an immortal spirit at one point too, no? Not that they'll go with that angle for this game.

Nakoruru was in the Gameboy KoF 96 game wasn't she? Iori, interestingly enough, was in the Gameboy Real Bout game as well.

BadWolf

XIV's boss has time related powers, he can pluck characters from any time, world etc. Nakoruru's team is called Another World team.

They basically built the dream match aspect into the new story arc.

Loona

So who is SNK equivalent of Axel Asher going to be?

I believe his name is Dan Hibiki, although Yuri borrows enough from the Capcom book (and drops it just as often) to be a native SNK counterpart.

She was in the Gameboy version by Takara and as a special striker in 2000, so the precedent is there - now the question is if that sort of thing will be brought up and made relevant in the new context...

I just watched some of that stream that SNK had for this game yesterday, and Luong has Yamazaki's snake strike! You can even hold and cancel it!

Instant main.

Nakoruru was in the Gameboy KoF 96 game wasn't she? Iori, interestingly enough, was in the Gameboy Real Bout game as well.

Yup, and while she wasn't playable, but she was in charge of the tutorial in the KOF-i 2012 mobile game too.

XIV's boss has time related powers, he can pluck characters from any time, world etc. Nakoruru's team is called Another World team.

They basically built the dream match aspect into the new story arc.
Well, KOF is stuck in a permanent time-loop where characters never age as well... So maybe this time they can explain that one too.

Labolas

I dunno if old but someone in the comment section of gematsu posted this:

KOFXIV DLC's Leaked list(nothing confirmed)

-Japan (Shingo)
-Ryuuko no Ken/Art of Fighting (Takuma)
-Garou Densetsu/Fatal Fury (Blue Mary)
-South America (Brazilian MMA Fighter)
-Official Invitation (Shapeshifter Fighter (Ash, Yashiro, and Krizalid))
-Mou Hitotsu no Sekai/Another World (Lee)
-K '(Whip)
-Ikari (Heidern)
-Yagami (Eiji)
-Mexico (Vanessa)
-Kim (Jhun)
-Southtown (Yamazaki)
-Psycho Soldier (Bao)
-Women Fighters (Kazumi)
-Villain (Raiden)
-China (Jin Chonrei)

Anyone knows the source or if it's true?

Man Krizalid, Shingo and Yamazaki!?!?!?!? I can't wait if true!

Oh god yes Vanessa is coming back. And wait so is the shapeshifting character Ash, Yashiro, and Krizalid? I'll take that as long as Ash isn't coming back.

BadWolf

Not sure if already mentioned but I'm pretty sure it was said by one of the commentator's during today's stream that you can't super-cancel EX special moves.

OmegaDL50

Not sure if already mentioned but I'm pretty sure it was said by one of the commentator's during today's stream that you can't super-cancel EX special moves.

Weren't one of the recent vids of the Japanese guys playing the game and doing combos with Robert showing this wasn't the case.

I swear I saw a combo that involved an EX Genei Kyaku into his Ranbu Super.

GooeyHeat

Weren't one of the recent vids of the Japanese guys playing the game and doing combos with Robert showing this wasn't the case.

Doesn't EX Genei Kyaku launch the opponent high up? That would allow him to combo into that super without a super cancel.

SgtCobra

I dunno if old but someone in the comment section of gematsu posted this:

KOFXIV DLC's Leaked list(nothing confirmed)

-Japan (Shingo)
-Ryuuko no Ken/Art of Fighting (Takuma)
-Garou Densetsu/Fatal Fury (Blue Mary)
-South America (Brazilian MMA Fighter)
-Official Invitation (Shapeshifter Fighter (Ash, Yashiro, and Krizalid))
-Mou Hitotsu no Sekai/Another World (Lee)
-K '(Whip)
-Ikari (Heidern)
-Yagami (Eiji)
-Mexico (Vanessa)
-Kim (Jhun)
-Southtown (Yamazaki)
-Psycho Soldier (Bao)
-Women Fighters (Kazumi)
-Villain (Raiden)
-China (Jin Chonrei)

Anyone knows the source or if it's true?

Man Krizalid, Shingo and Yamazaki!?!?!?!? I can't wait if true!
Krizalid, Yashiro, Jin Chonrei, Yamazaki, Jhun, Heidern and Shingo?

Don't do this to me SNK, wait, just do this to me. Really hoping this is true even though the chances are slim. But this reminds me SNK is still leagues above Capcom when it comes to fighting game character rosters.

BadWolf

Doesn't EX Genei Kyaku launch the opponent high up? That would allow him to combo into that super without a super cancel.

Yeah those Robert kick EX moves were launchers, he didn't super cancel them.

TreIII

Well, KOF is stuck in a permanent time-loop where characters never age as well... So maybe this time they can explain that one too.

The funny thing about this usual KOF "fact" flies right in the face of the DLC rumor which stated that Bao would be returning as a teenager.

This, from the series where nobody has aged a lick (Terry's brief MOTW-inspired stint aside) since '95.

Anbec7

So is there a link to the stream? is it still going? catching up all these news sure is fun.

I just hope the pre order opens soon in Amazon.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Does this game actually have a story? Why is Geese Howard still alive?

YOU KNOW NOTHING JETT!!! NOTHING!!!
Yes there is a reason why Nakoruru and Geese are in...
The Boss has Space/Time travel powers!!

Beckx

I never knew this. I thought they were the same.

Anywhere I can read up on the timelines?

i started this journey back on page 2 or so and loona hooked me up with the links

The anniversary site is a pretty good place to start: http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/index.html

For each game with an actual story (all but 98, 2002 and XII) there's a section with the general backstory for the individual game, as well as team/character-specific stories.

It's still a pretty big body of work which draws a lot from the series that precede KoF, like Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting - those are in a separate timeline from KoF, but their events and characters are still occasionally referenced in KoF (especially in XIII's pre-match dialogs).
You can find about that timeline and its events here: http://meh.brpxqzme.net/timeline.html

Other than that there aren't major unified resources, especially official ones in English, but between those 2 sites and the SNK wiki you can still discover a lot - just check on characters you like and work from there, not unlike looking into comics (KoF pretty much works on comic book time, unlike the series that it references). Also, feel free to ask about any specifics here.

second link was the most helpful

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Pretty sure China team's stage was shown in today's trailers (the Great Wall stage).

But if that's Athena stage why there's a bunch of Chinese flags?
Maybe it is i dunno, the game has lots of stages!
Dunno if there's one stage per team but it defintely has a bunch.

That stage is classy and nice

the circus stage from the trailers is my favorite, though.
I like the Lucha Ring stage and Geese dojo the most.
The stadium stage is also cool beans... oh and of course the GOAT: CATARATAS DEL IGUAZU stage

Tizoc

Via SRK, Athena's stage:

Also via SRK, apparently the KOF98 mobile game achieved 50 million downloads:

Yo say what?
Context mate, you know 98UM could mean the fighting game not the blood mobiel game, what is the mobile game even?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
There is a China Team and a Psycho Soldier team in this game.
F1IXquS.jpg
K8uPE9g.jpg

From what we saw in the trailer, the Great Wall is a stage for Tung's team, and the City here is for Athena's. Tung is more rustic and traditional, and Athena is a pop idol, so you can see some of the teams personality reflected in the stage motif.

And as far as "Which 98 game are they talking about": Look to this Dengeki article to see: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/262/1262707/ It seems to be the mobile game that's RPG-like.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Everyone looking cool, guessing that headphones Chinese dude is the new "main" guy, right?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Ah I guess they were the ??? ones then.

Top Bottom