• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima was 'fired' by Konami, says Metal Gear Solid voice actress

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well that's that than

After MGS V Konami will be death to me.

-They no longer localized Yu-Gi-Oh games (and when they finally decide to do so a substantial amount of content is cut).

-I was never a huge fan of Silent Hill (Too bad about Silent Hills since it had so much potential).

-They stopped making Metroidvania games

And that's all Konami was ever good for to me so now they got nothing left to offer me.

btrboyev

Konami used to be great. What a disaster for them to lose their only creative figure they have left in their company.

NastyBook

This is my view on it too. Without him producing Silent Hills, I can't be excited for what Konami puts out anymore, and I love that series. But given their last attempts to farm out the series on the cheap, I just don't care enough.
Shit, I forgot about Silent Hills. But if he's leaving immediately after MGSV, then it's probably gonna suffer for it. Plus, I haven't played a SH game since Yamaoka left anyhow, so...

RAIDEN1

Fox Hound Studios will be back! Or Kojima Productions (whatever name he decides to choose for his re-boot)...any chance of a new Policenauts or Snatcher?

Sephzilla

Ugh.

The only thing Konami can put out anymore that I could care about would be Metal Gear Rising 2 developed by Platinum, since that was mostly Kojima-free already.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
with future opportunity as a game developer? come on now. if the game bombs he's not going to get $100 million to make a new game. if it's wildly successful there's a good chance he will
We're talking about Hideo Kojima. I honestly believe the man could get $100m overnight if he wanted to.

Donna Burke has been very active on social media lately, both on FB and Twitter. She really loves her Metal Gear fans, so I don't doubt her heart was in the right place.

But how much does she know? It's entirely possible that she has seen Kojima lately... Stephanie Joosten certainly has.

YongYea should interview Donna Burke and ask the tough questions.

Well part of me is sad the Kojima is separated from his baby which he birthed, raised and grew it into the greatest franchise in gaming known to man.

Part of me is happy that Kojima is no longer associated with Konami (including Konami E3 Press Conference). He can finally found his own company free of corporate bullshit and give us more IPs.

Marcel

Sony should hire Kojima and put him in charge of the next "Order" game. He could make a fantastic Order game IMO.

Putting him in charge of an existing damaged franchise sounds that he had fuck-all to do with sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. Silent Hill was at least in his wheelhouse considering the paranormal themes of MGS.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Well part of me is sad the Kojima is separated from his baby which he birthed, raised and grew it into the greatest franchise in gaming known to man.

Part of me is happy that Kojima is no longer associated with Konami (including Konami E3 Press Conference). He can finally found his own company free of corporate bullshit and give us more IPs.

He will always be stuck with corporate bullshit as setting up and running a company that would require the type of capital that he would need to make things happen in the current gen for game development is pretty large. Esp with the type of expectations that would be coming out from fans.

The only difference will be is how much freedom will the new company give him. Which will always be hard due to granted the guy has a long history in the eyes of the investors he will be a wildcard and huge financial risk until the product is out and selling.

Sephzilla

Metal Gear can only get better now it has been freed from the shackles of Kojima's ego.

TfCg0Hb.gif

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yeah, I don't think she knows anything different from what we know about his departure.

Yeah, I'm sure a decade long co-worker is just as clueless as all the fine NeoGAF posters here. Christ almighty.

Parakeetman

There really isn't anything Konami can do to convince people he wasn't fired or forced out.

If it smells like shit then well...

Considering their extreme actions as of late a bit hard to imagine otherwise. If Kojima did something illegal his ass would be sitting in a prison and Konami would be distancing themselves from it ASAP and not letting him back into the office to finish out his contract.

Mr Git

What no? I have no doubt that shady things are probably happening at Konami, but based off that tweet, he is saying his role changed, and he decided not to stay with the company in his new role once he is scheduled to transition in December. I don't think you are reading that particular tweet correctly, but they may have put him in a role they knew he wouldn't enjoy indirectly forcing him out. That is pretty different from being out right fired.

Because that exact practice is the way to fire someone who you couldn't really get away with firing. "indirectly forcing him out" - just because it's indirect it isn't getting rid of him? I'm reading into that tweet, and semantically it appears to be a masked sacking. Not to mention the dissolution of the team. If this is merely a case of a contract expiring and not being renewed then why all the secrecy and tight lips? That would be a very straightforward and not nearly as negatively received way to announce this.

Parakeetman

What else do they have that has the potential to generate sales?

In Japan they still have their sports games and other crap, but for the US not as much. Considering their baseball and soccer titles cant really go up against EA or TakeTwos lineup.

But nothing from them at this point in time really has any sort of big brand name behind it like MGS did.

Esp with how they went and screwed the pooch with Castlevania.

Percy

Banned
I wasn't entirely serious with that "Kojima's ego" post above... I'm prepared to wait and see who replaces him before giving up on the series. Plus I'm still hoping Revengeance 2 is a real thing and not an elaborate troll.

It's actually a shame to see him go really.

yeah sure dude how did silent hill do after team silent was jettisoned again

Well... Shattered Memories was a lot better than Team Silent's last attempt at the series :p

U-R

Metal Gear can only get better now it has been freed from the shackles of Kojima's ego.

So it can finally return to be that generic Call of Duty meets Tom Clancy chest-level cover shooter every fan dreams it to be?

Justified

What else do they have that has the potential to generate sales?

Because "literally" as you stated, Konami money makers are entirely outside of MGS (and video games for that matter), much to my dismay as well

Also it doesnt make economical sense for them to let Kojima do whatever he wants, as you also stated

I wonder what went down. Either way, mgs was the only thing i was buying from konami. Looks like this will be my last konami game.

I wonder who will be presenting the game at game shows if this is true?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Kojima is good enough that people paid for a demo... bought a demo.

And they fire him?

Good call. Jesus.

Parakeetman

I wonder what went down. Either way, mgs was the only thing i was buying from konami. Looks like this will be my last konami game.

I wonder who will be presenting the game at game shows if this is true?

Id imagine Konami will get booed off the stage at E3 if its not Kojima at this point. Seriously since its all the hardcore gamers who go and attend those events.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Id imagine Konami will get booed off the stage at E3 if its not Kojima at this point. Seriously since its all the hardcore gamers who go and attend those events.

People didn't boo the E3 2010 conference which wasn't with Kojima, though.

Although that was great entertainment either way, I guess.

Top Bottom