• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Rep Says 'I Hope We Earn You Back'

Morinaga

Are Konami serious?

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Markoman

Boi, the hate for MGSV on Gaf is ridiculous.
Watch movies or read a book, if you want a story!
jk

MGSV is in my top 3 best games this generation. I've spend above 200 hours with the game. In hindsight, it really wasn't Konami's fault that the game didn't meet everyone's expectations.
The whole Peace Walker aspect of the game was not worth it, it killed the balance, took to much time + resources and could've been handled much better.

Give me MGS3 remake or.....

Fuck Konami

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
3 out of my top five Metal Gear games have been done without Kojima.

Which ones? An AC!D, Rising, and Portable OPs, maybe?

That cult of personally too strong.

The games very much reflect his personality. It's what makes them interesting.

Boi, the hate for MGSV on Gaf is ridiculous.

It's a little overwrought. I think for some, it's flaws are amplified in orders of magnitude by the ginormous hype that preceded it.

Konami's problems seem to stem from a thoroughly toxic corporate culture. I don't think they can even begin to change for the better unless there's a complete turnover of executives.

M3d10n

According to Wikipedia, in 2016 Konami released a grand total of one console game, Jikkyou Pro Yakyuu 2016 on PS4. Which only came out in Japan, which means zero Konami games on the Western market so far.

There's also a single iOS game (VS! Bomberman) and seven arcade games (Tsunaga Lotta, Mahjong Fight Club Zero, Color Colotta 2, GI-VICTORY ROAD, Jubeat Qubell, Dance Dance Revolution A and Quiz Magic Academy: Tokyo Grimoire).

Raitaro

Heck, call me an idiot without standards but if they'd announce one new AAA console game - whether its MGS, Castlevania, Silent Hill or something else, I'd be back in and willing to give it a chance.

Despite all of their errors and the ease of jumping on the (imo overblown) Konami hate bandwagon, I still would be quite sad as an old school game fan if their IP's would actually disappear entirely (or become Pachinko exclusives). I really don't get why people seem to wish this upon themselves and personally can only hope that what this "Ben" is saying comes true to some extent.

Sure would be nice to have a direct sequel to MGS4 with Snake finding a cure to his old manness.
Also bring back David Hayter.

Whompa02

I mean I'd buy a Remaster from any Metal Gear Solid game if its using Fox Engine and doesn't mess with the cutscenes or voice acting like Twin Snakes did.

Silent Hills was an absolute shot to my heart though. I still think of what that game could have been...god damn that hurt so bad. I was so excited for that...

Danny 117

What rumor?

--------------------------

I haven't read the whole thread, so I'll just say it (again?):

Konami will announce something new at gamescom 2016. What I don't know but I do have an appointment for said game.

It is an MGSV complete edition and an MGS3 remake. Gamescom is around the corner and you read it first here.

The release date was accurate. The change was one of the reasons for the fallout. I am not going to argue with you. All I am saying is wait for Gamescom then tell me to shut up.

Doesn't read as speculation from Batzi, looks like he has some source to go on. Will be interesting...

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Konami community manager realizes his days working for a triple A brand with awesome IP is over and his days are pretty numbered. News at eleven.

Jokes aside, I really hope Konami finds its way again someday. Or, if that's impossible, sell its IPs to companies that do give a fuck.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well I don't know about him but my top three are Portable Ops, Rising and 5. I can enjoy the games with or without Kojima, a single person doesn't make a good game.

Sure, but I'd argue that a single person does make (specifically) Metal Gear what it is.

I've not played PO but - and correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't Kojima a Producer for the game? I imagine he wasn't nearly as hands on as with his mainline directorial efforts, but if he oversaw it's production, it's not like he wasn't involved at all.

Rising? That's an absolutely fantastic game. I love it. The voice it has, the personality it exudes, is distinctly Platinum though. It's a love letter to the series and aims for something a bit different. For me, it's the difference between, I dunno, watching The Beatles and watching someone really good covering The Beatles (does that make sense?). Some people would argue its not really a Metal Gear game at all (I disagree) and I wonder how much that has to do with the lack of Kojima's fingerprints on the project.

Metal Gear is so suffused with Kojima's quirks, idiosyncrasies, cheekiness, experiments, and flashes of genius that I dread to think what a mainline entry without him would be like, especially if Konami will be directly overseeing it to make sure it's a success. I imagine it'll lose a lot in the translation.

For the sake of full disclosure, my favourite MGS games are (in no particular order): MG2, MGS, MGS2, MGS3 and MGSV.

Doesn't read as speculation from Batzi, looks like he has some source to go on. Will be interesting...

I love Batzi (hey, guy!) but - as I recall - he has been banned for claiming things like this in the past.

web01

The series is better off without Kojima in the long run if they choose to continue it.
Kojima is an egomaniac who is obsessed with surrounding himself with celebrities and other high status people. His position became at means to an end of doing this. He is continuing to do this in his new studio.

The parts of MGSV he was directly responsible for such as story and cut scenes are just laughable bad. What is there is both low in content and low in quality. Other aspects of the game are severely lacking, the boss fights are substantially worse than peace walker which was a psp game. While the larger bases are good most of the game is copy and pasted outposts with little to no thought in their layout and design. Its pretty clear the project was mismanaged and Kojima is responsible.

Fuck Konami. I've never had my hopes dashed so hard than with the cancelling of Silent Hills. So fuck them. They fucked up Silent Hill. They fucked up Castlevania. I don't need them anymore.

Danny 117

I love Batzi (hey, guy!) but - as I recall - he has been banned for claiming things like this in the past.

Yeah I read something about that too. But if he's willing to stick his neck out on this one then I'll keep my hopes up. After all, they DO have something to reveal at gamescom.

mcz117chief

I've not played PO but - and correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't Kojima a Producer for the game? I imagine he wasn't nearly as hands on as with his mainline directorial efforts, but if he oversaw it's production, it's not like he wasn't involved at all.

I think he had very little, if any, participation on the project since he had his hands full with 4 at the time.

I don't think Kojima's insanities is the reason why Metal Gear is good. Sure a lot of the iconic scenes rely on them but they are not the reason why I re-play the games. Funny/dumb quotes and moments are nice distractions but gameplay, story and music are the real reasons why I bother with re-playing Rising, Portable Ops and the first MGS, not for stuff like "it's on the back of the CD case" or to stare at Meril's pixelated butt.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think he had very little, if any, participation on the project since he had his hands full with 4 at the time.

If he's producing, he certainly had oversight. I believe the concept was his idea too.

I don't think Kojima's insanities is the reason why Metal Gear is good. Sure a lot of the iconic scenes rely on them but they are not the reason why I re-play the games. Funny/dumb quotes and moments are nice distractions but gameplay, story and music are the real reasons why I bother with re-playing Rising, Portable Ops and the first MGS, not for stuff like "it's on the back of the CD case" or to stare at Meril's pixelated butt.

Me too. As i said, I value him as a game designer, first and foremost. I'd argue that his idiosyncrasies are equally prevalent in the moment to moment gameplay.

Give me Suikoden VI damn it!

i played the suikoden on psp ( the last one , not the remasters) and they were full of nice ideas and they only needed more budget / time to bring them to life. it's was trully an ok game brought down by the lack of power of the psp and the lower budget.

If only someone could have improved those ideas a bit more .. it could have been an awesome foundation for future suikoden games.. i really loved the characters and the voice acting in that one...and the town upgrading mecanics.. it's just ...Why did have such a low budget ? why was it marketed that way ? At the time i was full of those questions but now , i think i have the answer ... and i don't want a suikoden pachinko machine.

They have a long road ahead of them after doing what seems like active sabotage against their brand. Maybe they sound dig into their back catalogue and start with a few older IP. Give some older Konami or Hudson stuff up to steam or psn/Xbox.

I doubt I'd pre-order anything of theirs at this point, I'll be cautious from here on out, but they say they want their fans back-they're going to need to really actively try. Wonder if anything will come of it?

KyleCross

Fuck Konami. I've never had my hopes dashed so hard than with the cancelling of Silent Hills. So fuck them. They fucked up Silent Hill. They fucked up Castlevania. I don't need them anymore.
I think Kojima would've fucked up Silent Hill more. He went on record saying he was making it "pants shitting scary." As a Silent Hill fan can you honestly agree with that direction? That was never what SH was about. Probably was going to be full of jump scares. Silent Hill is much more elegant than that.

The damage has been done. I think it'll take a miracle for them to climb out of the hole that they're in and in all honesty, I don't think they'll ever get back to the powerhouse that they once were.

love MGSV. it was a shame to losing Kojima but then again it'll probably be good for him.

it's going to take more than a couple hit-piece clickbait articles to get me to turn against a company that has been making amazing games for nearly my entire life.

again, i love MGSV. and i'm an old school fan. played Metal Gear on NES when it came out. played Contra and Castlevania there too.

bring on the next Metal Gear!

A-V-B

I think Kojima would've fucked up Silent Hill more. He went on record saying he was making it "pants shitting scary." As a Silent Hill fan can you honestly agree with that direction? That was never what SH was about. Probably was going to be full of jump scares. Silent Hill is much more elegant than that.

PT scares the shit out of me and I love Silent Hill. That game was absolutely dripping with atmosphere.

KyleCross

PT scares the shit out of me and I love Silent Hill. That game was absolutely dripping with atmosphere.
Not denying that. PT is probably the scariest thing ever made, and the tension is suffocating. But Silent Hill is completely different from that. The tension is thick as the fog covering the town, and there's horrible things hiding within... but it isn't an in your face horror series and that's what makes them so good, their subtlety. The way Kojima was describing Silent Hills made it sound like that was lost sight of.

Start with releasing Silent Hill 2-3, Suikoden 3-4-5-Tactics and Graduis V on ps4.
I don't think that would cost a lot.

SH2 will never happen unless they go out of their way to reverse-engineer a retail copy. The source code was lost years ago, hence the game's terrible HD port which was based on large scraps of demo code.

gbland

1. Remake MGS franchise in the new fox engine

2. Allow ports of most (if not all) classic games to ps4, xbox one, PC, and vita. EDIT: (with trophy/achievement support)

3. Tell us what actually happened with your relationship with Kojima and his dev team
(just basically say you fucked up)

4. Don't make any new games

5. Get away from us

Top Bottom