• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koshien 2015 | Japan National High School Baseball Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

The fastest in this tourney is around 150?

Yes, Toukai Daigaku Sagami's ace Ogasawara hit 151 (94 mph). 21st pitcher to hit 150 or better since the gun was installed in 92. The list includes some serious dudes like Shohei Otani, Shintaro Fujinami, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Masahiro Tanaka.

Yes, Toukai Daigaku Sagami's ace Ogasawara hit 151 (94 mph). 21st pitcher to hit 150 or better since the gun was installed in 92. The list includes some serious dudes like Shohei Otani, Shintaro Fujinami, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Masahiro Tanaka.

Damn that's impressive.

Monumma

Hopefully Satou is pissed because it was not mentioned in the nikkan article and throws 154 again.

This is totally how this works.

Beckx

Man that was not fair. Moving fastball at 144, fork at 133, groundout.

He's looking good tonight. Fastball is moving like crazy.

In regards to batter's stats, the first stat is it 率 (5-4)?

Is that batting average for the tournament? The 5-4 = 4/5?

Beckx

In regards to batter's stats, the first stat is it 率 (5-4)?

Is that batting average for the tournament? The 5-4 = 4/5?

Yes, it's the final kanji for daritsu, batting average, and the number of at bats comes first in their line. I put some kanji in the OP to help a bit.

Satou helps his own cause, up 1-0 now.

Yes, it's the final kanji for daritsu, batting average, and the number of at bats comes first in their line. I put some kanji in the OP to help a bit.

Satou helps his own cause, up 1-0 now.

Thanks! I want Takigawa to win. They seem to be the underdogs. No commercials in between innings, I see.

Monumma

2-0, 2 out, bases loaded.

Edit: Nothing.

Sendai Ikuei's first round was a 12-1 destruction. I wouldn't read too much into averages.
And yes, Takigawa is the underdog.

Damn, Satou is working fast.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Back at the house, had to pick up my niece from Jitsu... missed all the innings that were played so far. :(

Beckx

Another near miss of a HR and another run scored.

Takigawa Daini's kantoku needs to pull his pitcher. He's getting shelled now.

Satou with 2 RBI. In the 9 slot. This is going to get ugly.

Finally pulls Tomoi but two or three batters too late.

Monumma

100 pitch through 4 2/3, 6RA, responsible for men on first and second.

Now a righty sidearm. At least that's always fun to watch.
...And bases loaded. K.

Meanwhile Satou is pitching to (extreme) contact and somehow getting on and off the mound fast. 60 pitch through 5, but still no strike out. Takigawa Dai-ni's batter have their faults, but damn, he is working fast.
Somehow he escapes with 0 run a men on second and third and 1 out situation.

scotcheggz

Okay I got a couple of questions that I've been wondering for days now...

When a batter runs onto a base, the batting team send out a lackey to collect his gloves and any protection he's got on, why do this? Is it the rules? Do they just not have enough to go round? I really don't think a little pair of gloves and some foam are going to hamper you running ability right?

Who are the guys in the blue/aquamarine helmets? They never mention them on commentary you just see them in the corner of shots sometimes. I've no idea who/what they are!!! Help!!

Monumma

Okay I got a couple of questions that I've been wondering for days now...

When a batter runs onto a base, the batting team send out a lackey to collect his gloves and any protection he's got on, why do this? Is it the rules? Do they just not have enough to go round? I really don't think a little pair of gloves and some foam are going to hamper you running ability right?

It's just the way it is. Runners don't want to feel weight on them on the bases. There are now people in MLB rocking these to run. That's even more stupid.

Who are the guys in the blue/aquamarine helmets? They never mention them on commentary you just see them in the corner of shots sometimes. I've no idea who/what they are!!! Help!!

I'm guessing Ballboys/girls? I havent noticed them though.
edit: yes, definitely ballboys. They collect the balls.

144 and then 132 with the fork for the K. That fork is really a plus pitch. And while I write this he keeps it elevated and get hit deep.
And just like Meihou before them Takigawa Daini avoid the shutout.

Beckx

The most interesting thing now is who Sendai Ikuei will get in the draw. I really don't want them to get Hanamaki Higashi, would rather see both teams stay in it longer.

I went to bed early, but I couldn't get the replay trick to work.
When I opened up my laptop it started to play but then a few seconds later ’再開できません’ or something alone those lines.

Actually on the official site you can watch the replays of the games!

Beckx

I went to bed early, but I couldn't get the replay trick to work.
When I opened up my laptop it started to play but then a few seconds later ’再開できません’ or something alone those lines.

Actually on the official site you can watch the replays of the games!

Where did you find the VODs? Link?

All I can find is the highlights & digests. But my Japanese vocab is still beginner level + basic baseball.

Lucumo

I'm not really a baseball fan (watched some Japanese pro matches so far and got into the sport a bit thanks to anime) but I will try to catch it during the weekend.

Beckx

Lucumo

Watching Koshien is a great complement to Ace of the Diamond.

Well, I have only seen everything of Major (and One Outs before that) but I guess it fits all the same.

By the way, from the pro matches that I watched, I like Hiroshima Toyo Carp and Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks the most.

Here is a list of all of yesterday's matches.

http://www.asahi.com/koshien/97/other/marugoto/

8月14日

第9日

第1試合=first match
第2試合 = Second match
第3試合=third match

I'm watching the second match now.
The only thing that sucks is the scoreboard of the match is right under the link/picture you have to click, so try not to look at the scoreboard if you can help it. Then you can fullscreen the match so you don't see the scoreboard.

Beckx

Day 9 Wrap Up

With information compiled via usual sources, etc.

Game 1 Takigawa Daini 1-7 Sendai Ikuei. For me this game was an enjoyable "no contest" because sometimes it's fun to sit back and watch a fun team play well. Sendai Ikuei plays solid ball and I disagree with Goroshigeno about Satou Sena, I think he's one of the better pitchers at Koshien. Last night I was impressed not only by his consistent speed on his fastball but also the amount of apparent movement on the ball. He's got a consistent slider & forkball and the occasional 12-6 curve. They draw Hanamaki Higashi for the third round which means one of the two threats will be out after that game.

Game 2 Tsu Shogyo 2-4 Toba. First time Koshien participant Tsu Shogyo put in a good showing this summer. Unfortunately for Toba a win here resulted in drawing Kounan for their next game.

Game 3 Takasaki Kenko Fukushi Daigaku Takasaki 8 - 3 Sohseikan. Not a real surprise here. Winners got a favorable draw for third round.

Day 10 Preview - Third Round Begins!

Today and tomorrow are the third round games. All start times Japan time, starting at 8am.

Game 1 8:00 東海大甲府 Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Kofu - 早実 Waseda Jitsugyo. Once again for my purposes the game I want to see is up first! I am expecting offensive fireworks and frankly very little in the way of pitching. Waseda Jitsugyo's pitching was thoroughly exposed by Hiroshima Shinjo and Tokaidai Kofu hasn't looked much better. So key to the game for both teams will be managing their pitching relay. For Waseda Jitsugyo, forget media attention, they have to have Kiyomiya and Katou have big games to win.

Game 2 10:30 鶴岡東 Tsuruoka Higashi - 花咲徳栄 Hanasaki Tokuharu. Not much of a preview I can give to this one, not having watched a game with either team yet. Hanasaki Tokuharu put up 15 in their first game.

Game 3 13:00 遊学館 Yugakkan - 東海大相模 Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Sagami. With Tsuruga Kehi out Tokaidai Sagami has to be the favorite to win everything - with good reason. Forget that they have an ace throwing 94, they've got a backup who cruised easily through 8 innings of their first game, so they've got pitching for daaaaaaaays. On the other side we have Yugakkan, with a pitcher whose fastball tops out in the 70s. He has a tricky delivery to mask that but this could get ugly.

Game 4 15:30 作新学院 Sakushin Gakuin - 九州国際大付 Kyushu Kokusai Daigaku Fuzuoku. Kyushu Kokusai Daigaku Fuzuoku pulled off the slight upset by knocking out Osaka Kaisei (;_;). Meanwhile Sakushin Gakuin had an easier path with Ueda Nishi but gave up 6 runs to get here.

Beckx

Yakyubaka has the 2015 Koshien Stats page up: http://yakyubaka.com/koshien/2015su_viewKoshien.php

Notables:

Tokaidai Sagami ace Ogasawara captured the top five velocity spots in one inning of work, lol.

There have been 16 home runs hit so far.

Most pitches thrown in a game so far: 149.

Most Ks in a game by a single pitcher: 16 (by Akita Shogyo ace Narita, who will pitch tomorrow).

Monumma

Yakyubaka has the 2015 Koshien Stats page up: http://yakyubaka.com/koshien/2015su_viewKoshien.php

Notables:

Tokaidai Sagami ace Ogasawara captured the top five velocity spots in one inning of work, lol.

There have been 16 home runs hit so far.

Most pitches thrown in a game so far: 149.

Most Ks in a game by a single pitcher: 16 (by Akita Shogyo ace Narita, who will pitch tomorrow).

I was waiting for this. Ogasawara's page is fun.

I think the stats are, as of right now, missing day nine (yesterday).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom