• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koshien 2015 | Japan National High School Baseball Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
TBH the only thing clear is that the winner of this game is - barring something weird - going to get shelled in the third round. Both schools got super lucky with the bye.

Tsurouka Higashi takes it. Ace Fukutani had a great night at the plate but going forward I just can't see it. That weird delivery isn't going to help get 126 km/h fastballs by the likes of the batters he'll see in the next round.

Next up is Kanto Daichi v Takaoka Shogyo - media rankings suggest a mismatch in Kanto Daichi's favor.

Thanks for all info you have presented thus far, it's very informative and builds to the excitement before each match. :)

Beckx

Thanks for all info you have presented thus far, it's very informative and builds to the excitement before each match. :)

No problem! I love this so it's part of the fun to share the excitement & have people to watch with.

Once we're into the later rounds I'll be able to do more competent previews.

Beckx

Game 2 underway!

Okoye Rui legs out a double and then Kanto Daichi captain SS Itou gets him in with a one out single to start the scoring.

----

Rui can flat out fly. Now in the 3rd inning he's got a triple.

Beckx

Boom! Captain Itou strikes with a HR this time and unlike the last game, I really don't think you should look for any comebacks.

The west Tokyo champs are going to cruise. But Rui and Itou are fun to watch so that's fine.

Beckx

Both. :p Champs from the Tokyo regions should be good teams, no surprise.

As much as I'd like to stay up and see if Rui can set a record for triples in a game I need sleep tonight.

Beckx

Holy WTF?

I go to bed with the score 8-1 and when I wake up I see the final was 12-10??

Koshien.

Wrap ups to come.

Absolutely incredible game right now. So bummed Beckx is missing out.

You and me both, geez. Screw sleep, it always ruins things.

Beckx

Switching back and forth between writing this and watching Shohei Otani's start for the Fighters today.

Wraps and today's schedule based on information at Asahi, Yakyubaka, npbreddit and Goroshigeno/@eigokokoyakyu:

Day 6

Game 1: Tsurouka Higashi 9 - Tottori Johoku 6. I thought this one was pretty entertaining but I had no idea what the rest of the night was going to bring. Pitching was not this game's strong suit. Every time Tsurouka Higashi took a good lead, Tottori Johoku came back to get close (but never tie). They had a chance in the 8th where a ball hit the top of the wall for a double - if it had been a few feet higher, they would have been within 2. Alas, it wasn't to be and Tsurouka Higashi advances to the third round, where I think their chances are pretty slim with a pitcher who tops out at 126 km/h.

Game 2: Kanto Daichi 12 - Takaoka Shogyo 10. W..T..F? Kanto Daichi were the West Tokyo champs and you don't win a Tokyo region without being at least decent. They roared out of the gate, spurred on by leadoff CF Okoye Rui and SS Itou. Rui had a double and two triples and Itou a double and a HR by the 3rd inning. By that point it was 8-0. Takaoka Shogyo pulled their pitcher to stop the bleeding and then clawed back a run to make it 8-1. At this point I went to bed. Mistake. Takaoka Shogyo bats around in the fourth and suddenly it's a mind-boggling 8-7. 3B Tagoshi had a fantastic game, including tying it on a hit in the 6th. Kanto Daichi didn't fold, and take the lead again on a long hit by Okoye Rui, 10-8. Unbelievably, the underdogs come back AGAIN with a Tagoshi double tying things up 10-10. Sadly it looks like their pitching gave out in the end and Kanto Daichi scored 2 in their half of the 8th and ultimately win it. I am super sad about missing this crazy game but this is exactly what I mean in the OP about Koshien being so hype. Kanto Daichi advances and they certainly have a scary offense, but they have real issues to work out if they want to get out of the third round.

Game 3: Iwamichisuikan 5 - Kounan 6. Sounds like this was another great, close game with the underdogs actually leading at one point late, but the Okinawa champs Kounan come back to win it.

Game 4: Hanasaki Tokuharu 15 - Misawa Shougyou 3. Looks like the night ended with a blowout. But I guess that's fine given all the drama beforehand. The Saitama region champs move on and may have lucked out a bit by drawing Tsurouka Higashi as their third round game.

Day 7 tonight has the last two games between teams that both had byes (games 1 and 2), a game between a bye team and a first round winner (game 3), and the first game between two first round winners (game 4). My interest is mostly in game one, as mentioned several times at this point, Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Sagami is stacked with two pitchers throwing heat and apparently a strong offense as well. It's the first look at a team that should be a contender for the finals.

Start times are Japan time.

Gm 1 8:00am 東海大相模 Tokai Daigaku Fuzoku Sagami - 聖光学院 Seiko Gakuin

Gm 2 10:30 遊学館 Yugakkan - 九州学院 Kyushu Gakuin

Gm 3 13:00 作新学院 Sakushin Gakuin - 上田西 Ueda Nishi

Gm 4 15:30 中京大中京 Chukyo Daigaku Fuzoku Chukyo - 鹿児島 Kagoshima Jitsugyo

Monumma

First game is starting now.

edit: Double play to end the inning.

can we talk about Seiko Gakuin's catcher? Sato Toshiya? Really?

0-4.

Beckx

Tokai Daigaku's pitcher Yoshida (their second starter, ace isn't pitching tonight (yet)) is working so fast I can't even get a good sense of him. He's throwing high 80s right now with a nasty slider in the low 70s. Not getting Ks but the hits are all weak grounders.

wow, team is pretty aggressive on the basepaths too...scoring from second on a short single through the infield

get thrown out trying it again though

5th inning - Yoshida has been 50/50 fastballs and sliders but finally just threw his first curve. What I'm impressed by is how he can vary the speed on his fastball.

Beckx

Seikou Gakuin pitcher Morikubo has a significant percentage of pitches that aren't fastball, slider, curve, or forkball. Anyone seen what he's throwing? I'll pay more attention to the in-pitch graphics to see what pops up.

Ah, splitter, there it is.

Beckx

Kind of a weird game. Yoshida isn't flashy at all but is pretty good (a good pitcher making the opposition look boring, honestly). Team can hit, that's for sure. I don't think Morikubo is bad at all but they've gotten 10 hits and 6 runs.

Alright! We're getting a look at Toukai Daigaku Sagami's real ace now. Well, he throws harder, 91 mph.

Just broke the 150 kmh barrier. First guy to do that I've seen this tournament. Going from 151 kmh (94 mph) fastball to 122 breaking pitch is just not fair.

Sorry I haven't been contributing all that much. But being a parent has me basically sitting on the couch making sure my kid is okay for the last 3 days.

Beckx

Last of the games between two bye teams up: 遊学館 Yugakkan - 九州学院 Kyushu Gakuin

Is there somewhere I can catch the replays?

No, there are highlight videos but no VODs. That said, I've found if close my chromebook during a stream, when I open it, it picks up right where I left off. I watched all the saturday games on 12 hour delay sunday because of that.

Sorry I haven't been contributing all that much. But being a parent has me basically sitting on the couch making sure my kid is okay for the last 3 days.

I've been there - hope he's feeling better. You should've seen Toukou Daigaku Sagami's ace Oagasawara throwing heat in his brief 9th inning appearance but he's guaranteed to start the next game.

Last of the games between two bye teams up: 遊学館 Yugakkan - 九州学院 Kyushu Gakuin

No, there are highlight videos but no VODs. That said, I've found if close my chromebook during a stream, when I open it, it picks up right where I left off. I watched all the saturday games on 12 hour delay sunday because of that.

I've been there - hope he's feeling better. You should've seen Toukou Daigaku Sagami's ace Oagasawara throwing heat in his brief 9th inning appearance but he's guaranteed to start the next game.

Yeah he's finally sleeping for a bit without waking up feeling sick so, I'm gonna TRY and watch.

Beckx

can you not score on the third out?

Usually no (my pre-edit explanation was too specific, ignore it).

It's possible for a run to score and then the team gets the third out - run scores at home, then due to a baserunning mistake another runner is caught off the bag and tagged for an out. That run counts.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
If the third out is a force out (the runner had to advance to the base where the ball was thrown) or a fly ball out, then the inning is over and the runner crossing the plate doesn't count.

ah ok, that doesn't apply to the first and second out though? since they keep bunting it and getting out but scoring runs

Beckx

You can advance on a ground ball as far as you can get. So for example runner on third and the team bunts - throw goes to first for the force but the runner scores.

Can't do that on a fly ball the same way - the runner can't advance from the base where he started until the ball hits the ground/wall or is caught by a fielder. So on a fly ball out the runners have to "tag up" on the base and then run to advance.

Beckx

Wikipedia does it way better than me:

The Official Baseball Rules hold that if the third out of an inning is a force out of a runner advancing to any base then, even if another baserunner crosses home plate before that force out is made, his run does not count. But if the third out is not a force out, but a tag out, then if that other baserunner crosses home plate before that tag out is made, his run will count

Example 1: With a runner on third and two outs, batter hits a ground ball to the second baseman. The runner on third races home. The second baseman fields the ball and throws on to the first baseman in time to get the batter on the force out at first for the third out of the inning. Even if the runner on third had touched home plate before that force out was made at first, his run would not count.

Example 2: With a runner on third and two outs, batter hits a fly ball over centerfielder’s head. It bounces several times as it rolls to the wall. The runner on third runs safely home and easily scores a run. Meanwhile, the batter safely reaches first, then tries to advance to second. The centerfielder, having retrieved the ball, throws the ball to the second baseman and the runner is tagged out as he slides into second. Since the runner stepped on home plate before the batter was tagged out at second for the third out of the inning, his run will count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom