• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koshien 2015 | Japan National High School Baseball Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monumma

2nd enchousen. The day that kept on giving.

edit: 4-3, 2 out, men on second and third
edit: at last enter the ace. game over, lol.
stolen base, passed ball, infield hit touched by the pitcher brings another man home. 7-3, Hieizan melt.

Monumma

#14 puts up a good fight, but fly out to left field.
3 pitch strikeout for the last out and Osaka advances.

Another great game, though. Now in half an hour Shimonoseki Shogyo vs Shirakaba Gakuen, aka "we are here too".

Edit: Starting
Shimonoseki Shogyo are the first to score.

Monumma

He should have gone to first base, so pretty much. The fun thing is that without the error from the OF they would have had only 1 out.

Shimonoseki Shogyo squeeze to add to their lead. 3-1.

Edit: they suspended the game to turn on the lights, i guess?
@EigoKokoyakyu says there are lightning around?
Also 4 inning are not enough to have a baseball game, they'd start from the beginning tomorrow/the day after.

Rain and Lightning now.

And... we're back!

Third HR of the tournament by #9 Katou Takashi. A 2 run bomb that ties things at 3 in the 8th. 3 consecutive extra inning games?

Yes, extra inning.

And an error puts the winning run on the bases in the bottom of the 11th. Shimonoseki Shougyou wins it.

Beckx

Aww man, Shirakaba Gakuen's loss means both Hokkaido regions have been eliminated from the tournament. Neither region is very strong but still I'd have liked to see them stick around til the second round.

Tsuruga Kehi draws Hanamaki Higashi in round 2. Interesting matchup but Hanamaki Higashi looked really iffy in their game. Hiranuma gets 5 days of rest and should be in good condition.

Two traditionally strong teams up tonight - Tenri in game 2 and Sendai Ikuei in game 4.

They're also doing the original Yamato theme quite a bit. Took me a while to recognize that one as well.

Ah, I missed the Yamato theme, bummer. Tsuruga Kehi had the 1st Attack on Titan OP going at a couple of points in their game.

----------------------------

Direct link to the digests pages for each day's games. Clicking the thumbnail sends you to the page with game line and the youtube videos.

Beckx

The Nippon Ham Fighters have put up some YouTube videos with the Koshien highlights of current Fighters players:

Sho Nakata (warning: will trigger flashbacks for Osaka Toin haters to see Sho-time go yard) & Kenshi Sugiya: https://youtu.be/Mg06d13zyaw

Shohei Otani (Hanamaki Higashi 2011, 2012): https://youtu.be/mckoCZ9IDN4

Hiromi Oka and Kensuke Kondoh: https://youtu.be/okDEf79Bkg4

Yuki Saito (featuring the legendary duel with current Yankee Masahiro Tanaka - unfortunately Saito has been a bust in the pros so far): https://youtu.be/DMmV_vU2PtM

Other clubs may be doing this too but their fans can take care of that. 進めファイターズ!

Beckx

Day 4 starting up now

First game - 津商 Tsu Shogyo - 智弁和歌山 Chiben Wakayama

Beckx

who's the fav for this first game?

Chiben Wakayama by a good margin

oh geez, this one may get out of hand fast. TBH you're probably looking at 3 mismatches tonight with only the third game potentially close. Chiben Wakayama, Tenri and Sendai Ikuei should win their games easily.

Beckx

If I had to pick one favorite who might lose tonight it's Tenri after the underwhelming way they played in spring.

I wish Sendai Ikuei played in the early games. Sena Sato is going to be a pro - he can hit 95 mph (though not often - he only hit that one time at Senbatsu - still in the lows 90s) and has good control.

akileese

Would anyone be interested in doing daily write ups at the end of the day? Just do a quick score summary of who won and lost, followed by the next days games?

Beckx

Tsu Shogyo is going to make a game out this!

I'm out for the rest of the evening - will check in to see how things are going.

Would anyone be interested in doing daily write ups at the end of the day? Just do a quick score summary of who won and lost, followed by the next days games?

if it's something people want, I can do that.

Beckx

I'm free at night now so I can also contribute to write-ups or recaps.

It would be cool if you think you can do previews at any point, you have more data about these teams than me!

Can't believe you missed Tsuruga Kehi bro. Hiranuma tested but didn't break, team acts like a team that knows how to win games.

It would be cool if you think you can do previews at any point, you have more data about these teams than me!

Can't believe you missed Tsuruga Kehi bro. Hiranuma tested but didn't break, team acts like a team that knows how to win games.

My kid had a stomach virus, I wanted to watch soooooooo bad. lol. Killed me.

Can't believe I missed TWO Enchousen!!!

ilikeme

This is pretty cool. I know nothing about baseball so I'm basically learning about the game and about Koushien. I know some verbal japanese so at least I sometimes get what they're saying haha

This is pretty cool. I know nothing about baseball so I'm basically learning about the game and about Koushien. I know some verbal japanese so at least I sometimes get what they're saying haha

Do you want a primer for baseball 101? It's pretty easy to get once you know the basics.

Both of these Ace's are pitching their hearts out/

Monumma

This feels like it's going to be a big inning. already a run scored and a man on third, no out. One out. Two out.

RBI triple over CF for the 5-2. Pitching change.

E6, man on second and another run scored. 6-2 It's over.

Wild pitch, man advance to third, Walk. Jeez. Another pitching change. #13, the classic pitcher number, lol.

Another walk, bases loaded.

And it's finally over with a roller to second. Wow.

ilikeme

Do you want a primer for baseball 101? It's pretty easy to get once you know the basics.

Both of these Ace's are pitching their hearts out/

Yeah, I'm actually watching a youtube primer right now, so I hope that will help clear some things up, and my brother explained some of the basics. And I used to play 'brännboll' as a kid which is basically a Swedish super-simplified bastard amateur version of baseball. So I'm not 100% lost :D

Maybe you could clarify the numbers in the lower right? I think I'm starting to get it..

Is the top right for which inning it is?

B for?
S is for Strikes
O for Outs

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah, I'm actually watching a youtube primer right now, so I hope that will help clear some things up, and my brother explained some of the basics. And I used to play 'brännboll' as a kid which is basically a Swedish super-simplified bastard amateur version of baseball. So I'm not 100% lost :D

Maybe you could clarify the numbers in the lower right? I think I'm starting to get it..

B for?
S is for Strikes
O for Outs
top right is innings, with the diamond around showing which bases are full
B = balls
S = strikes
O = outs

The top right number that's centered in the bases image is innings, B stands for balls, 4 balls and you get to walk to first base (known as a BB or base on balls).

Wow how'd I fuck that up I used to do this for a living lol

Monumma

B for?
S is for Strikes
O for Outs

Yes, Balls. 4 ball and you are awarded a "walk" to first base. Balls are pitches out of the strike zone (look up for that).

I hope for Sakakura Makoto he is fine. Doesn't seem that way, though. damn.

edit: bases loaded, no out. Another big inning coming? not that it'll matter, probably.

scotcheggz

What happened to that guy? I was falling asleep and when I opened my eyes they were walking him off?

Also 智弁和歌山 properly choked.

Monumma

He was hit by a pitch. I don't know if it's only that, though. Ishikawa looks like he can manage the 5 out remaining without giving up 5 run.

2 run HR by Yamamoto Ryuuga. 4th of the tournament.

ilikeme

^^ Thanks everyone! I think I'm starting to get the basics at least, and it's starting to get more fun and less confusing to watch! :D

It's a bit sad to watch tho, these guys are in high-school right? that's about 16-18 years old? The team who are losing were tipped to win and the players don't look too happy :/ This probably means a LOT to many of these guys. Must be pretty emotional

I love watching the pitchers tho, the technique is pretty cool. Wish Baseball was bigger in Sweden!

HOMERUN ! :D cool

Monumma

^^ Thanks everyone! I think I'm starting to get the basics at least, and it's starting to get more fun and less confusing to watch! :D

It's a bit sad to watch tho, these guys are in high-school right? that's about 16-18 years old? The team who are losing were tipped to win and the players don't look too happy :/ This probably means a LOT to many of these guys. Must be pretty emotional

I love watching the pitchers tho, the technique is pretty cool. Wish Baseball was bigger in Sweden!

HOMERUN ! :D cool

This is it for pretty much everyone playing right now. A few of them will get to a University and play there and *random number* 5 will go pro from the whole tournament but for most of them there will not be a next level. It's also the last tournament for the third year, so if they lose their baseball career is over.
And, as you see from how many people are already in the stadium at 9am, this is a pretty big deal in Japan. Every year 4000 school enter a single game elimination bracket and these you see are the winner of each region.
The crude nature of the tournament, the pressure from representing their home region, the history of it (they are celebrating its century year now) and most of all the fact that these boys spent at least 3 years trying to play in that stadium and 18 dreaming of it makes teenagers cry. I would cry too.

I refuse to believe this is not over. They even gave Ishikawa the 2 run back.

edit: yep, it's over.

Monumma

2ns game starting now: Tenri vs Sohseikan.

Sohseikan's ace is on the bench.

edit: also Tenri pitcher is injured, so he now play left field. Why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom