• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Greedfall's Detailed Role-Playing can't make up for its unpleasant setting"

GreyHorace

UPDATE: Per everyone's request, put up an archive link.

And so it begins.

ARCHIVE LINK

Reminder that this woman gave us this gem of a tweet:

45217066_10216035113325618_1786127652587831296_n.jpg

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
“The magical New World is mostly a playground for the player, not a means to examine complex issues. Greedfall wears a costume, perhaps not ignorant to what the costume means, but seemingly unwilling to do anything too powerful with it.”

It’s a fucking toy.

“I ask: what is Greedfall saying? What messages does it want to communicate to me? What themes are on display? I have no answers to these questions and if Greedfalldoes, it’s not been kind enough to reveal them yet.”

Over-educated, under-employable busybody.

Last edited:

Barakov

Ah, it's the old "this doesn't make a political comment on a certain social issue and instead tries to be a fun videogame" argument.

“The magical New World is mostly a playground for the player, not a means to examine complex issues. Greedfall wears a costume, perhaps not ignorant to what the costume means, but seemingly unwilling to do anything too powerful with it.”

It’s a fucking toy.
Exactly.

HelpYouFall

I am so sick and tired of these morons spewing some arbitrary, ad hoc woke ideas while having the audacity to say what people, art and entertainment HAVE TO do. You see it in their constant use of the words "need, have to, should" etc and it's sickening. This coming from a guy who mostly considers himself progressive and liberal btw.

Last edited:

Teslerum

It’s a fucking toy.

Over-educated, under-employable busybody.

Ehhhhh, let's not give too much credit. Let me fix that

Pretentious, under-employable busybody.

She does not seem the type you could actually have an intelligent discussion with. More like the one who speaks gibberish, masking it as smart and then critizize you if you have a different opinion on it.

I'm also 99% sure (as I haven't played it yet) you could pick out some themes from Greedfall and discuss them. They are just not things that suit her so they get ignored.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Last edited:

Shin

Banned
These people are obsessed with turning games into propaganda for whatever is the cause.

This game isn’t flawed because it doesn’t force a “woke” narrative down our throats

That's what you get when you're part of a cesspool and/or drinking that QQera koolaid.

Hudo

None of these gaming bloggers is likely to win the Pulitzer Prize, even if you desperately try to "elevate" your blogging by throwing politics into the mix. Sorry. Pretty astonished that someone like Tim Rogers and someone like Heather can work together in the same organization. Tim Rogers is basically the antithesis of her, lol.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If the ultra woke Eurogamer reviewers can give this game their top 'Recommended' rating then this person is seriously off message with the hive mind, SJW agenda that the Kotaku staff so religously follows thesedays.

In this kind of groups it is always a race to be the most righteous and never ends well...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They don't really, though.
They think as far as their own ideology allows, and it doesn't require much thought when you immediatly look for certain things.

The old adage of “if you really look hard enough you will always find something” seems to hold true in quite many cases.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Of course she has short pink hair.

Of course.

What's the deal with pink hair? I remember being at E3 back in 2015 or something, and I noticed that pretty much every single girl (unless she was actually working for a game company) had pink hair. It became a running joke with me and my colleagues.

Why? Why the pink uniform? And why is it that the more "socially aware" you are, the pinker, and possibly shorter your hair is, with a higher chance of buzzcut? Why do you have to pretend to be punk to be a woman in games?

Katsura

What's the deal with pink hair? I remember being at E3 back in 2015 or something, and I noticed that pretty much every single girl (unless she was actually working for a game company) had pink hair. It became a running joke with me and my colleagues.

Why? Why the pink uniform? And why is it that the more "socially aware" you are, the pinker, and possibly shorter your hair is, with a higher chance of buzzcut? Why do you have to pretend to be punk to be a woman in games?
I mean, he is already pretending to be a woman. It's not that big a leap to pretend to be punk i guess

Maybe it's the new marketing strategy.

Dev: how do I get eyes on my games and get hard spending customers to buy my game outside a sale?

Kotaku: I got you fam. Get this, we tell them your game is shit.

Lux R7

"There’s no polite way of saying it. Greedfall is kind of fucked up. Wrapping yourself in the pageantry of the 18th century means recreating the iconography of colonial expansion and native slaughter. It means emulating a time when supposedly great men failed to do what was morally right, opting instead to do what was politically expedient. To merely call this a tension of Greedfall does it a disservice. It’s not just a momentary tension. It’s the entire game.
The visual language at play in this game harkens back to some vile shit. That isn’t to say that no art could use a setting like this, but it needs to be used with an awareness of what this setting actually means. Greedfall doesn’t demonstrate that level of care at the moment. It’s set dressing. The magical New World is mostly a playground for the player, not a means to examine complex issues. Greedfall wears a costume, perhaps not ignorant to what the costume means, but seemingly unwilling to do anything too powerful with it."

giphy.gif

Ar¢tos

Players aren't necessary for games to exist? What kind of logic is that!
In a twisted way, it has some logic.
Gaming media is now made by people that don't play games, so it's not a far evolution for games to stop being played by players at all.
Maybe in a nearby future we will have AI playing games and writing reviews and gaming articles.

HeresJohnny

I saw she had danger hair and knew everything that was gonna come out of her yapper before I even read it.

We are living in an era where there are people that want games made for all the wrong reasons; fun is an unimportant detail waaaaaay down the list. These fuckers and this way of thinking is more dangerous to the hobby than any economic downturn or crash ever was.

BTW, thanks for the recommendation girl, I'm preordering it right now!

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Why can't some people just STFU and enjoy games without looking for some type of fake controversy BS.

This Kotaku "journalist" is not interested in games, she's interested in far left propaganda & shaping a world in her own image. That's all. Everything is about the dogma, all day & everyday. They're the neo religious zealots of our era & a serious problem from the moment they have real influence & real power. It would be easy to ignore these sorts of people if it wasn't for the fact they also pollute the education system & corporate hierarchies as well (hence "diversity" indoctrination etc.).

Top Bottom