• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: 'Many researchers taking a different view of pedophilia'

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjb

Banned
The grand majority of people with the condition are not going to come forward with even having it in the first place, much less admit to any crimes.

And yet I wouldn't anticipate you to admit to anything either. Granted I am -not- accusing of you of any wrong doing or insinuating that you're a criminal. However, if you have indeed acted on your "urges" before, then I highly doubt you would admit as such. Surely someone would report it, and your door would be swarming with investigators within days.

That being said, I am all for future research and studies regarding pedophilia. I personally couldn't fathom living with it, and any potential strides made towards helping those ultimately is beneficial towards society as a whole.

Still, the sheer fact you openly admit to being sexual attracted towards little girls creeps me the fuck out. I cringe just thinking about the possibility of there being a "show off your children" thread here on the forums and what that might produce.

Joe Molotov

That doesn't even make any sense. The grand majority of people with the condition are not going to come forward with even having it in the first place, much less admit to any crimes.

Well, you seem to be pretty comfortable about the whole thing. If this thread stays open long enough, who knows what might come out?

Hydra

Neo Member
Wow, this thread absolutely disgusts me with all the ignorance flourishing here, and no I am not talking about Zyrusticae. There is, of course, a huge difference between thoughts and action, and especially when it's a condition you haven't chosen yourself it's ridiculous to judge or look down on someone simply for having it. Just because you have an attraction doesn't mean you're a rapist, how hard is that to understand?

besada

Banned
I suppose I should hate all pedophiles with a white hot intensity. I was molested from the ages of seven through ten, on a regular basis, by a member of my extended family.

It fucked me up pretty good. It filled me with rage and that rage consumed me for more than a decade. I became an alcoholic trying to blunt that rage. I got arrested for acting out that rage. My inability to trust anyone destroyed relationships. The fact that my parents didn't protect me wrecked my relationship with them.

Three decades later, if I let myself think about it too deeply, it wells back up and threatens to take over my life. It literally shattered the course of my life. I suspect it will sit there, like a ball of poison in my brain, for the rest of my life. There will always be doors in my mind I don't dare open.

All that said, I can't help but feel pity for a person born with sexual desires they can never express. I can't imagine how lonely that must be, to know that one of your strongest drives would destroy lives if you did what your brain wanted you so desperately to do.

So maybe I should hate pedophiles, but I can't bring myself to do it. They're humans who had the misfortune to be born with a cross wiring that ensured they'd be viewed as pariahs if they ever admitted who they were.

Mostly it just makes me tremendously sad.

duckroll

Okay. I think the discussion has drifted significantly from the original topic relating to the article in question, and at this point I am not comfortable with allowing this topic to continue. While it might be interesting for some members to openly interact with a person who identifies as a pedophile, I don't think it is in the best interest of anyone for this to continue as a question and answer session as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom