• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword E3 trailer

gillFTR said:
Is anyone like me when you get excited seeing skyword sword mentioned, but then you remember thats its all wii motion + and lose all interest?
No way. The controls are probably the most exciting thing about the game. Then the orchestrated soundtrack, then the ~fancy shmancy~ overworld.

I'm not going to defend the mechanics of the Tri-forks quest, but I will say it is curious that often the same people demanding a less linear Zelda criticize the Tri-forks for artificially padding the length of the game. Non-linear portions of a story-driven game's main quest are almost inevitably going to feel like shapeless interruptions. People still manage to complain about the World of Ruin in FF6 even when the mechanics of that non-linear quest were exactly the same as the rest of the game (and frankly, the dungeons were MORE interesting). The developers could avoid the problem by designing the story and gameplay around non-linear exploration. See the original LoZ - or Demon's Souls for a more recent example. Neither of those games has significant puzzle elements or much of a story. It's a really, really tricky thing to manage. That doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't try, but I would have thought there would be more people pleased at the half-measure in Wind Waker.

I was thinking of replaying TP because I've never finished it, the immensely boring overworld killed me. I think I'll just search for my old Zelda themed GBA SP and replay Ages/Seasons

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
gillFTR said:
Is anyone like me when you get excited seeing skyword sword mentioned, but then you remember thats its all wii motion + and lose all interest?

What? Wii Motion+ is probably the most interesting part of the game, along with orchestrated music.

BY2K

Membero Americo
From the Iwata Ask of Ocarina of Time 3D: Some infos about Skyward Sword's music:

- will feature orchestrated music as well as music created with folk instruments
- there's a secret instrument that plays a big part in Skyward Sword
- sound director is Hajime Wakai
- core sound staff is from the Software Development Department at the main office
- Yokota-san and one other person from Tokyo are involved
- Yokota focuses in on the orchestra elements
- Kondo's songs didn't come into play until the last moment
- Kondo pulled an all-nighter to finish up his content
- Miyamoto believes orchestrated music fits better with Zelda than Mario
- Skyward Sword features updated orchestrated versions of some previous Legend of Zelda songs

- Yokota has been pushing for Zelda orchestra live events since he joined the company
- He was turned down multiple times, but that all changed with the series' 25th anniversary
- Yokota already had tons of songs he wanted to see played live

Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God!

mdtauk

BY2K said:

You forgot something quite important IMO
Yokota said:
One of the characteristics of the music of The Legend of Zelda series is the background music with folk instruments. So not only the regular orchestral instruments, but we also recorded some folk instruments live.

Kard8p3

BY2K said:
From the Iwata Ask of Ocarina of Time 3D: Some infos about Skyward Sword's music:

If you don't know yet we know the musical instrument is a lyre.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Technically, artistically, details-wise: yes, it is.

But how in the world do you find an excuse for the terrible midis, the broken-rupee rewarding system, the linear utterly boring storyline, the absence of side-quests, the limited-to-a-single-dungeon-items, the pathetic role of Ganondorf and the no-strategy-is-needed-to-destroy bosses?

The game is worth only because of the greatly designed dungeons, the fantastic environments, the variety of enemies and the gameplay.

Again: Nintendo did an amazing technically job. They took Ocarina of Time's stamp and made a larger, longer and more detailed game. Too bad they forgot everything else. Sure, the result wasn't totally crap, because the original stamp was too great.

The things you complain about, I enjoyed, other than the rupee bullshit. If you were upset about the midi instruments used, please go back and listen to some of Wind Waker's compositions. Perhaps they are technically more impressive and melodic, but the instruments are far worse.

Bitchers gotta bitch

Big One

Banned
decoyplatypus said:
The developers could avoid the problem by designing the story and gameplay around non-linear exploration. See the original LoZ - or Demon's Souls for a more recent example.
Demon's Souls is in no way non-linear in design whatsoever.

iavi

BY2K said:

OOOH OOOOOHHHHH MYYYY GOODDDDD

The "Song of Storms" made a reappearance in Brawl, so it's got to be on somebody's mind over at Nintendo.

If that song makes it into Skyward Sword in an all orchestrated glory. I will fucking cry, I'm not even kidding. Nostalgia will overload me and I will cry.

Big One said:
Demon's Souls is in no way non-linear in design whatsoever.

Have you played Demon's Souls? After 1-1 you can do the stages in nearly any order you like. If you're talking about the stages themselves being linear, sure, but that's like saying the original LoZ was linear because there was ultimately one path through its dungeons.

Big One

Banned
decoyplatypus said:
Have you played Demon's Souls? After 1-1 you can do the stages in nearly any order you like. If you're talking about the stages themselves being linear, sure, but that's like saying the original LoZ was linear because there was ultimately one path through its dungeons.
That does, in the very most, mean it's linear. But I also have to question your judgement on LoZ, cause the later dungeons and the second quest dungeons are much more nonlinear in design. Being able to pick out what dungeon or challenge you face doesn't make something nonlinear, but being able to explore and go anywhere at any time does. Picking out a dungeon in any order is just another way to give you the illusion that something is nonlinear if the dungeons themselves are very linear in design.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Big One said:
That does, in the very most, mean it's linear. But I also have to question your judgement on LoZ, cause the later dungeons and the second quest dungeons are much more nonlinear in design. Being able to pick out what dungeon or challenge you face doesn't make something nonlinear, but being able to explore and go anywhere at any time does. Picking out a dungeon in any order is just another way to give you the illusion that something is nonlinear if the dungeons themselves are very linear in design.
"Very" non-linear?
http://ian-albert.com/games/legend_of_zelda_maps/zelda-dungeon6.png

I mean, if you trace the actual paths mostly what you have is one correct path through and a few short branches with goodies at the end:
http://ian-albert.com/games/legend_of_zelda_maps/zelda-dungeon8.png

Big One said:

That's ridiculous. Demon's Souls practically begs you to jump into different stages and find weapons to help you tackle "earlier" areas. There is no pre-set "line" through Demon's Souls, and most players zig zag through the stages, doubling back when they have the levels/tools they need. By your definition, only open-world games are "non-linear."

I'll admit, it's been a few years since I played LoZ, but I don't remember there being notably "non-linear" dungeons. You might have a few different paths to the boss or options based on the items at your disposal, but that is not so different from Demon's Souls, where you can skip sections by skillful rolling and your approach to crossing the bridge in 2-2 might change depending on if you've been to 4-1.

Big One

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
"Very" non-linear?
http://ian-albert.com/games/legend_of_zelda_maps/zelda-dungeon6.png

I mean, if you trace the actual paths mostly what you have is one correct path through and a few short branches with goodies at the end:
http://ian-albert.com/games/legend_of_zelda_maps/zelda-dungeon8.png
Meh you're right. Dungeons in the original LoZ were pretty bad. Arguably however I felt some dungeons, like Turtle Rock in Link's Awakening, was very nonlinear in design, even though you had a common goal.
decoyplatypus said:
That's ridiculous. Demon's Souls practically begs you to jump into different stages and find weapons to help you tackle "earlier" areas. There is no pre-set "line" through Demon's Souls, and most players zig zag through the stages, doubling back when they have the levels/tools they need. By your definition, only open-world games are "non-linear."

I'll admit, it's been a few years since I played LoZ, but I don't remember there being notably "non-linear" dungeons. You might have a few different paths to the boss or options based on the items at your disposal, but that is not so different from Demon's Souls, where you can skip sections by skillful rolling and your approach to crossing the bridge in 2-2 might change depending on if you've been to 4-1.
This is all true but those aspects don't really make a game nonlinear. That's like saying Phantasy Star Online isn't linear cause you can go back to stages and collect different items. Oh and you can choose which area you go to also, such a streak of amazing nonlinear design!

The only balance in making a nonlinear game is really have every aspect of the game being completely choice-based. This doesn't mean all games should get text branches like you see in WRPG games. I think the open sea overworld in Wind Waker is far more nonlinear than getting to choose what stage you go into in Demon's Souls. That fact that when you get a boat, you can explore any island in the entire sea, is true nonlinear design.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
mdtauk said:
You forgot something quite important IMO
Yokota said:
One of the characteristics of the music of The Legend of Zelda series is the background music with folk instruments. So not only the regular orchestral instruments, but we also recorded some folk instruments live.
OH MY GOD. This makes me hyped for the music even more. I liked the "experimentation" that The Wind Waker's soundtrack did to make it fit better with the game's environment, so I'm curious to hear how the the soundscape and environment link together in Skyward Sword.

AlphaDragoon said:
but Ilia somehow manages to be even worse.

They need to banish her from Zelda lore and never, EVER bring her back.
I agree with this-- Ilia was terrible. My least favourite Zelda damsel in distress.

Gravijah

Dark Schala said:
OH MY GOD. This makes me hyped for the music even more.

HI-5

Dark Schala said:
I agree with this-- Ilia was terrible. My least favourite Zelda damsel in distress.

no wait i take that back

just kidding, she is rather boring, though i don't really dislike her.

Big One said:
This is all true but those aspects don't really make a game nonlinear. That's like saying Phantasy Star Online isn't linear cause you can go back to stages and collect different items. Oh and you can choose which area you go to also, such a streak of amazing nonlinear design!

As I recall, PSO single-player did in fact force you to complete the stages in order. That was linear. The online experience was geared around power-leveling and loot whoring. That was less linear.

Big One said:
The only balance in making a nonlinear game is really have every aspect of the game being completely choice-based. This doesn't mean all games should get text branches like you see in WRPG games. I think the open sea overworld in Wind Waker is far more nonlinear than getting to choose what stage you go into in Demon's Souls. That fact that when you get a boat, you can explore any island in the entire sea, is true nonlinear design.

I don't follow the first sentence. However, I'm inclined to agree that Wind Waker is a less linear game than Demon's Souls, but I don't want to ignore the possibility that the difference is partially cosmetic. Is sailing to any island and exploring its contents for treasure (once the King of Red Lions stops telling you that you can't go outside a prescribed path) really so different from selecting any stage and exploring its contents for new items or sidequests? You're right: the physical freedom to actually sail in any direction is a big deal. It makes some difference when you really don't know what's over the next horizon, but you can investigate without aid of a menu. I'm just not sure that's the only way of producing the virtues of non-linear design.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
HI-5

no wait i take that back

just kidding, she is rather boring, though i don't really dislike her.
Actually, after thinking about it a little more, I think my ultimate disappointment was that Ilia wasn't Malon. I was expecting Malon to be in TP in some fashion, just because of the ranch hand segment.

Hi I'm a boring girl that the game spends an inordinate amount of time building up.

Oh okay I remember you now here's an item that would have been helpful like 20 hours ago, that's it for my character arc.

Gravijah

EmCeeGramr said:
Hi I'm a boring girl that the game spends an inordinate amount of time building up.

Oh okay I remember you now here's an item that would have been helpful like 20 hours ago, that's it for my character arc.

get back to preparing for amir0x to hit the DP thread

Kard8p3 said:
The dungeons are the best part of the game. Some of the best dungeons in the series appear in this game.

The Goron dungeon was magical. When it comes to dungeon design, absolutely nothing beats Zelda.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dmax3901 said:
20 minute video of the what now?
The Skyward Sword main theme, dude.

EmCeeGramr said:

What a poor attempt at writing a love interest... well, at least one scene involving her and Link was interesting.

EmCeeGramr said:

Ahhh love.

Dark Schala said:
*swoon*

i bet this soundtrack will be the best zelda soundtrack OF ALL TIME

tumblr_lls5hpqAZ71qi6fog.png

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
That IGN preview is so terrible, especially when compared to the floor demo impressions of other staffers of the site that... y'know, actually played the game properly.

All this Twilight Princess talk is gonna make me boot that up in Dolphin right after I finish OoT 3d.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
relax, i'll talk to you when i get home <3
you missed the story of how Angelique had to make me go to her house to bring her some stuff and the sexy erotic story that played out.

watershed

Banned
I found this in the Latest Iwata Asks:
Yokota:

Yeah. (laughs) I was working along, and all of a sudden there were more orchestral songs than ever in Nintendo's history. I had so many songs that I wondered if we could actually write the scores for them all! I recorded the orchestra, too, and this time, as always, Kondo-san's songs didn't come until the last moment.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/4/6

I find this reassuring because just last week there was a quote about only "some" of the music being orchestrated whereas this quote already suggests more orchestrated music than the galaxy games.

Big One

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I found this in the Latest Iwata Asks:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/4/6

I find this reassuring because just last week there was a quote about only "some" of the music being orchestrated whereas this quote already suggests more orchestrated music than the galaxy games.
There was nothing to worry about in the first place, we knew the entire soundtrack was going to be orchestra for over a month now.

watershed

Banned
Big One said:
There was nothing to worry about in the first place, we knew the entire soundtrack was going to be orchestra for over a month now.
I thought we only knew it was going to include orchestrated tracks but we didn't know to what extent. Even now I don't expect every track to be orchestrated, more live music than the Mario Galaxies but still not fully orchestrated.

Big One

Banned
Also on picking older songs and orchestrating them, I hope the choices are more interesting than the usual and not just songs from OoT. Zelda's Lullaby is a must, understandably, but there's a tons of sources they could take from. Just imagine entering a dungeon and a remix of the Great Temple theme from Zelda II is the main song for it. Something like that would be unexpected and epic.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
PounchEnvy said:
IGN's Nintendo coverage has been mostly turrible for quite a while. Not surprising. Really hope IGN in general gets their stuff together because the site's on a very bad path.
Well yeah, they slowly lost every person who actually cared about Nintendo enough to give intelligent coverage or think critically about their games. Casssamavania's departure was the beginning of the end.

Gravijah

Big One said:
Also on picking older songs and orchestrating them, I hope the choices are more interesting than the usual and not just songs from OoT. Zelda's Lullaby is a must, understandably, but there's a tons of sources they could take from. Just imagine entering a dungeon and a remix of the Great Temple theme from Zelda II is the main song for it. Something like that would be unexpected and epic.

Please.

_Alkaline_ said:
I see Twilight Princess hate. I will not stand for it!

To left handed arms!

Top Bottom