• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

Calamari41

41 > 38
The last five minutes of this game. Holy shit. I'm trying to remember the last time I was that blown away by what was happening on my screen, and I'm having a hard time.
I'm talking about the part where you free-fall from the space station down to Lego City, and you see it all coming up underneath you

This is going to be hard to beat for Game of the Year for me. People talk shit on this because of the "sub-par graphics," but the thing is I had so goddamn much fun playing this game, I never once noticed a single graphical shortcoming. Not once.

This is what fucking videogames are supposed to be, people.

Cosmozone

Finished the first rooftop mission. Wow, that was really high up! :) Big fun! I now recognize that pole from some Miiverse posts. I've not dared to test jumping over the edge, I'm a coward, lol.

Is there a radio in this game or am I missing something?

The complete lack of music or a radio has been off-putting for an otherwise fantastic game. It takes a lot of life out of the city.

ScRYeD

Finished the first rooftop mission. Wow, that was really high up! :) Big fun! I now recognize that pole from some Miiverse posts. I've not dared to test jumping over the edge, I'm a coward, lol.

The scale of the game is pretty well done, makes the map and game seem alot larger than it really is. Thats one of the things i love about the game.

Zero148

finished chaper 8. Really enjoing the game. I have already ride a
floor polish mashine
and a
Moon Buggy
in one single game. that is just awesome.

And btw, now I really have to check out Aliens:CM. The game should be similar awesome based on EDGE scores lol

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Well Game Freak is kind of a special case. They're "technically" third party, but they literally only make Nintendo games, and the Pokemon license is joined-owned by three companies, and marketed by a fourth.

It's important to note that games are often not developed by a single entity, even if one is the lead developer. Aside from all the management and production Nintendo does on the Pokemon games, they actually do internal development alongside GameFreak. Nintendo did much of the wifi programming, all the international versions programming, and in some cases they did special R&D like the Pokemeter stuff that came alongside one of the Pokemons.

For the record. Nintendo of Japan transplanted Japanese developers to join a few NOA guys to start a new NOA production group. They produced and "co-designed" Sing Party, MysteryFiles, Fluidity, Lego City Undercover and probably some other Western stuff.

thomaser

I really love this game. It's just fun!

Only thing I don't like is a bug that happens sometimes that makes it impossible to do some things (build something from a pile of bricks, pick a thing up, etc). The "A" prompt just doesn't appear. If you pause and unpause a couple of times, the issue will usually resolve itself. But if you have driven to where you are and this bug comes up, your vehicle will disappear after pausing and unpausing. Seems like something that could be easily fixed with a patch. Oh, and sound effects are missing some places, such as on the prison island: there's a waterfall by the beach, but no sound from it, and there's no splashing sound from the water it falls into when you jump into it.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
not considering this first party would surely be like calling sly 4, gears if war, sony all stars etc not first party. am i right? this game is very good. me and my son are loving it

Yagharek

I never really liked old Lego games (circa Lego Star Wars, because Star Wars is poo), but I guess at this point I have to admit I might have missed out on some good games.

I like how the missions in Lego City Undercover are pretty involved. You have chase sections, detective sections, platforming, sneaking, fighting and puzzle solving. Lots of variety, and there is always something new to do.

I'm only at chapter 3, and yes load times are long - but the game is good.

And Honey is still a complete idiot, perhaps moreso than Wheatley.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I never really liked old Lego games (circa Lego Star Wars, because Star Wars is poo), but I guess at this point I have to admit I might have missed out on some good games.

I like how the missions in Lego City Undercover are pretty involved. You have chase sections, detective sections, platforming, sneaking, fighting and puzzle solving. Lots of variety, and there is always something new to do.

I'm only at chapter 3, and yes load times are long - but the game is good.

And Honey is still a complete idiot, perhaps moreso than Wheatley.

No one is dumber than Honey, no one.

This is the first game in a while that reminded what a game should be. Not trying to capture realism, but to capture that inner child.

This game makes me want to believe i just put a cartridge into my n64(not cause the graphics are bad ;)

In ways the graphics are impressive. The motion blur is awesome. The lighting is great, and theres close to(if not) hi-res textures that surprised me for a sand-box game.

The voice acting is top notch. The humor in the game slowly reminded me of south park in ways(of course not 18+ ways).

Theres so much gameplay and attention to detail, its pretty amazing. Its like they wanted to impress nintendo, and im sure they did.

Nintendo would be foolish not to lock this game down.

TT had to develop new engines and philosophies for their first sand-box lego game. As their first attempt, i believe they hit it out of the park. This is on new hardware, as well. I can only imagine how great the sequel will be with being that much more knowledgable with the wii u and the concept of making a sand-box game.

A solid 8.5. I also wouldnt question a 9/10 score.

dwu8991

Banned
not considering this first party would surely be like calling sly 4, gears if war, sony all stars etc not first party. am i right? this game is very good. me and my son are loving it

you can say that again!
more likely to be a one-off though given TT Fusion are owned by Warner Bros

Bradach

I can recommend this for anyone planning on playing this with their children. My (nearly) 6 year old daughter loves it and she can manage the controls with a little supervision.

addyb

Am I right in saying its a slow start but the game gets far better after around 2 hours in? Heard a few people mention that but just wondered what the GAF general consensus was.

Picking mine up in the next hour :)

Yes Boss!

So, going back and forth on buying this one.

A moderate fan of open-world games. Loved Crackdown, hated Red Dead. Loved GTAIV but hated the other GTAs. Would this be a good fit?

Costume: Samurai Warrior
Code: rjyzhc

Costume: Baseball Player
Code: ycmwkp

I understand how you put these codes in but how to you get codes for stuff you discovered on your own?

so theres no shooting or guns in this game?

they don't shot bullets but there are plenty of gun types of things I was surprised also by brutal kills later lol

paintgun.jpg

qwerty2k

Bit of a silly question but...all the costumes you unlock in game (such as bouncer, karate expert etc) can you actually use these or are they just in the game purely as collectables?

why did he take off those shoes? :(

Bit of a silly question but...all the costumes you unlock in game (such as bouncer, karate expert etc) can you actually use these or are they just in the game purely as collectables?

they all animate differently and fight differently in some cases

also when you don't move them for a while they take things out of their pockets or do some weird stuff from boredom

try them all

qwerty2k

That's the thing, I don't know how to use them? Similarly I've built quite a few drop in points for cars and each time it says I unlock a new vehicle yet when I use the drop in point all I can select is the regular police vehicle it says I have 0/x for all the rest :(

That's the thing, I don't know how to use them? Similarly I've built quite a few drop in points for cars and each time it says I unlock a new vehicle yet when I use the drop in point all I can select is the regular police vehicle it says I have 0/x for all the rest :(

go down to the basement of the police station to change your suits you should be able to unlock what is causing the trouble for you there

anyone know how to use the chicken glide controls I am stuck

JCH!

How long does it take to unlock Aircrafts? I finished chapter 6, or 7, can't remember and I'm diying to try them!

shawnlreed

This is the first Lego game I've ever played, and I'm just loving it.
The humor is genuinely enjoyable and the world is diverse and fun to explore.
It's everything I wanted from an open world Lego game.
The sheer number of collectables is fairly intimidating.
I'm 20 hours in, and 25% completed, but I could actually see myself trying to 100% the game, it's that fun to play.

I'm trying to get through this game to review it, but it's not looking good so far. It's just...really boring.

Yeah, I dropped it after about 5 or 6 hours. It's got the charm, and it's got extremely silly humor that gets me to chuckle on occasion, but that's not nearly enough to save it from the dreadfully monotonous gameplay. I was hoping the LEGO gameplay would change a bit with the transition to an open world.... nope! Same ol', same ol'. Forced myself to play 2 more hours before I threw in the towel, realizing that nothing is going to change.

Shame, because I was really looking forward to this one. But I guess that was mainly due to the new game drought.

Zero148

Yeah, I dropped it after about 5 or 6 hours. It's got the charm, and it's got extremely silly humor that gets me to chuckle on occasion, but that's not nearly enough to save it from the dreadfully monotonous gameplay. I was hoping the LEGO gameplay would change a bit with the transition to an open world.... nope! Same ol', same ol'. Forced myself to play 2 more hours before I threw in the towel, realizing that nothing is going to change.

Shame, because I was really looking forward to this one. But I guess that was mainly due to the new game drought.

I actually think the gameplay has much variety in the missions. But this is also my first Lego title, so what do I know.

I actually think the gameplay has much variety in the missions. But this is also my first Lego title, so what do I know.
It's the first LEGO title I bought, but I've played nearly every available demo to date. As far as I remember, it's the same basic formula (break up objects, use them to build something to advance, rinse and repeat). The real difference in LEGO City is the open world that surrounds these forays into the familiar and monotonous setpieces/scenarios, but unfortunately most activities in the open world are locked out until you finish the campaign and earn all costumes.
you guys not giving this game a chance are souless fools guess its not for you
I'm a soulless fool because the game is boring to play? Nice.
Also, 6 hours is more than a chance. I wanted to play through the whole story because it was enjoyable, but again, the gameplay is far too boring. I actually caught myself dozing off in the middle of one of the missions, for christ's sake. lol

I generally like sniffing out secrets in the open world and gathering extra items and doing some free run and street races when my arsenal grows, but before you can reliably do that, you have to do through these missions which all feel the same and take too long to give you new toys.

It's the first LEGO title I bought, but I've played nearly every available demo to date. As far as I remember, it's the same basic formula (break up objects, use them to build something to advance, rinse and repeat). The real difference in LEGO City is the open world that surrounds these forays into the familiar and monotonous setpieces/scenarios, but unfortunately most activities in the open world are locked out until you finish the campaign and earn all costumes.

I'm a soulless fool because the game is boring to play? Nice.
Also, 6 hours is more than a chance. I wanted to play through the whole story because it was enjoyable, but again, the gameplay is far too boring. I actually caught myself dozing off in the middle of one of the missions, for christ's sake. lol

did you get to chapter 10 in 6 hours? You guys have opinions on limited playtime

but if you find it boring it has more to do with your tastes nothing can change that

still WRONG!

It has more variety and more specifically, has much better in-mission pacing than previous entries. I like them, Batman 2 was particularly cool (my kids love it!) but this is easily the best Lego game I've played. Plays better, looks better, more to do, better writing and so on.

CoolS

Guys, if they don't like it it is just their opinion. I can totally understand if someone does not like a LEGO game, they certainly are more "relaxing" games.

And even if this is the best LEGO game so far and offers the most variety (which I believe it is) at it's core it's still not something for everyone I suppose.

zigg

anyone know how to use the chicken glide controls I am stuck
I take it you figured this out, but I was a little confused too, so it's probably worth explaining for posterity… you hit A when you reach the spot where you're going to jump from to make the green chicken circles appear, then just use B to do the gliding. I kept hitting A thinking I'd pull the chicken out, and I wasn't. :lol

Also, what are studs used for? I have over 600,000 of them and I'm on Chapter 2, but I have found no use for them.
Use them in the police station at the various stations to buy unlocked disguises, cars, red bricks, etc.

plufim

Use them in the police station at the various stations to buy unlocked disguises, cars, red bricks, etc.

OH. Thanks, I was also wondering.

This is the sort of thing that in years past would have been in the instruction manual, but these days it's just 4 pages :/

qwerty2k

I take it you figured this out, but I was a little confused too, so it's probably worth explaining for posterity… you hit A when you reach the spot where you're going to jump from to make the green chicken circles appear, then just use B to do the gliding. I kept hitting A thinking I'd pull the chicken out, and I wasn't. :lol

i've got 1.8million studs and didn't know if they were of any use so thanks for that.

I think the only boring part of the game is driving to the next mission, but every open world game suffers from that....I'm not sure how someone could call gliding with a chicken so you can fire a pig out of a cannon "boring" lol

OH. Thanks, I was also wondering.

This is the sort of thing that in years past would have been in the instruction manual, but these days it's just 4 pages :/

There isn't even an instruction manual with NFSMW:U; it's just a 2 page pamphlet that tells you to access the digital manual in-game... which made me sad, because I bought the game already but won't be getting a Wii U for a bit and wanted to have some fun flipping through the manual. I'd forgotten that manuals basically are non-existent these days.

Top Bottom