• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Fox Mulder

So far around 1500 SEK, give or take, not including shipping and some stray extra pieces I got with the orders. A bit less than what I wanted to pay for the complete set but then again of course I don't get the box or instructions and we'll see if some colors get a little wonky.

It also includes about 200 pieces I bought twice because I was stupid and Bricklink lagged...

yeah, bricklink was a learning process. The first time I ever used the site was when I bought all the pieces for the UCS millennium falcon.

Oh wow, K-Marts still exist? Last time I was in one, it looked the same as it did when I was a kid in the mid 90's.

it's crazy. I've been in one that must have had a 7 foot high ceiling and it was dim as shit. I thought I was going to get stabbed wading through the jungle that was the clothes section.

ghostmind

aTaKmiV.jpg

Perhaps official, but not confirmed yet.

neonglow

Here's my Kmart haul for today. For some reason, this year's advent calendars were already on clearance.

Gandalf Arrives - $6
Superman: Black Zero Escape - $9
Stagecoach Chase - $13.50
Republic Striker - $21.50

City 2013 Advent Calendar - $13.50
Star Wars 2013 Advent Calendar - $18.50

ghostmind

Here's my Kmart haul for today. For some reason, this year's advent calendars were already on clearance.

Gandalf Arrives - $6

Good lord.

wetwired

aTaKmiV.jpg

Sold, It'll take them 10 years but eventually they'll make every character in the DCU.

With flash coming next year, who's left to fill out the JLA? another Green Lantern so people can afford him and Martian Manhunter? is that it?

Gandalf Arrives - $6

Niiiiooce haul. Very nice.

I am weak. Starting Winter village market tonight. Already gotta plan a holiday diorama once Halloween is over.

ghostmind

Sold, It'll take them 10 years but eventually they'll make every character in the DCU.

With flash coming next year, who's left to fill out the JLA? another Green Lantern so people can afford him and Martian Manhunter? is that it?

Yeah, I think that's it - at least for the classic JLA.

Had a near scare with my phone yesterday morning so I had to take an emergency trip to the Apple Store. News was okay (phone is months away from dying completey...good thing I'm eligible for an upgrade anyways) so decided to treat myself at the LEGO store.

3F29AF4E-29B6-4023-AAA1-4DFE7B8B01EC-453-000000358983C629_zpsffdd0dc0.jpg

25DB7BFD-9800-40E7-945F-25DFF1209CC2-453-000000359027F9C7_zpsc3603c25.jpg

9507A6A7-3354-4D43-9D4B-F90968C37D5E-453-0000003596A33EB5_zps789bb556.jpg

neonglow

Had a near scare with my phone yesterday morning so I had to take an emergency trip to the Apple Store. News was okay (phone is months away from dying completey...good thing I'm eligible for an upgrade anyways) so decided to treat myself at the LEGO store.

3F29AF4E-29B6-4023-AAA1-4DFE7B8B01EC-453-000000358983C629_zpsffdd0dc0.jpg

25DB7BFD-9800-40E7-945F-25DFF1209CC2-453-000000359027F9C7_zpsc3603c25.jpg

9507A6A7-3354-4D43-9D4B-F90968C37D5E-453-0000003596A33EB5_zps789bb556.jpg

Let us know what you think of the building experience. I don't think many of us here buy the architecture sets.

I really want that UN building. That looks really fun, and a good parts pack to boot.

If you have not gotten it yet, I was a fan of the White House set. Looks great once completed.

Gandalf Arrives - $6

Oh my. Mind getting another stagecoach at that price? I could pay the full price for just the figures and horses, easily.

I found this at my local TRU. I enjoyed the irony immensely.

MpTiAv6.jpg

Who steals such a common figure?

Out of all the lego books to be released that's the one I mainly want since most of my lego memories are tied to older minifigures...

on that note, I got more collectible minifigures and the torso on teh Evil Mech Robot is mind blowing: it's a modern day redo of the Generation 1 Blacktron torsos... looks so badass... really makes me want to see a legit return of Blacktron sets with modern pieces.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=973pb1501c01

compared to

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=973p52c01

really makes me want to see a legit return of Blacktron sets with modern pieces.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=973pb1501c01

compared to

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=973p52c01

cgdP4Mp.gif

Not so secretly hoping that one of the LEGO Movie sets is a brand new Blacktron set. Gimme that classic black and yellow color scheme, but with the build on par with Bug Obliterator. A space set to end all space sets.

EDIT: And while the new evil mech figure is an awesome callback to Blacktron, part of what made the old figures so awesome was the opaque black visor.

I mean, look at that badass.

Yeah, I have a small baseplate with all my favorite minifigures standing on it that I have had setup for about six or seven years and that dude is on it :)

When I would play with it as a kid I would pretend he was a badass bounty hunter space ninja of some sort that everyone was trying to capture.

Gandalf Arrives - $6

While i realize these are sale prices of some sort, i am DISGUSTED at the sheer difference in prices compared to the EU ones.

I mean, for instance, that Stagecoach Chase retails for around 60 bucks here WTF :((((

And here's the UN all built.

F9E180FE-8348-4F75-A006-9E2524EB2804-750-0000005641079934_zpse227b38f.jpg

Big Ben, which I bought just to get the VW Bus tbh, is going to be gifted to my best friend that's obsessed with London.

As for the Architecture line, I really want to build more. They're deceptively intricate in its simplicity and I love that detail. Next up, I might finally buy Fallingwater and the Imperial Hotel. Perhaps also the White House.

Big Ben, which I bought just to get the VW Bus tbh, is going to be gifted to my best friend that's obsessed with London.

As for the Architecture line, I really want to build more. They're deceptively intricate in its simplicity and I love that detail. Next up, I might finally buy Fallingwater and the Imperial Hotel. Perhaps also the White House.

Also look into Farnsworth House. You actually build some interior details with that one. The box is deceptive as to how big the set really is as well. I was shocked at how large it wound up being.

relaxor

what?
Fallingwater is a beautiful, detailed set that really helped me understand the layout of the home. I think you'd like building it.

PSA: Amazon has many Galaxy Squad sets marked down right now.

From the awesome Space Swarmer for only $9.79
(personally, I feel this lil gem of a set is underrated)

To the awesome Vermin Vaporizer for only $41.99

Also, the very cool (yet personally a little disappointing) Galactic Titan for $83.34

But most importantly, two of the best sets of the year are marked down: The godly Bug Obliterator for only $57.07

And my personal favorite set of the entire year so far: Hive Crawler. Right now marked down to $56.24

I know there are many big and awesome sets out right now, and double VIP is coming, but the combination of Bug Obliterator and Hive Crawler is a very, very difficult combo to beat. Two very different builds with two very different personalities to the sets. But both are so satisfying and awesome fun to play with when done.

Heck, Hive Crawler makes a spectacular cat torture toy!

iuuk

Most Architecture sets are extremely repetetive to build, but look fantastic once completed. As PhonicleBone said; the White House especially looks really good. Fallingwater is kind of a letdown when compared to many of the other sets, should have been bigger or at least have a baseplate in the same style as the other sets. It was also kind of an annoying build, despite the puzzle-structure. Best build was the much hated Opera House.

My top 5:

1. Brandenburger Tor
2. The White House
3. Farnsworth House
4. Robie House (it's massive)
5. Space Needle (very clever use of pieces)

Dissappointing:

Fallingwater (not up to par with the later sets, does capture the fantastic design alright though)
Guggenheim Museum (bad looking toilet bowl)

Underrated:

Sydney Opera House (fun build, really doesn't look as bad as people make it out to be)

Yet to buy:

UN
Imperial Hotel
Villa Savoye
Big Ben (bought, but not yet shipped)
Rockefeller Center (bought, but not yet shipped)

The only Architecture set I have is the Empire State Building that my wife brought me back from NYC this summer.

Look, I realize it's just a bunch of tan bricks....but damn if it doesn't look good. The sets I've sen in person really do look amazing.

I think I just talked myself into ordering Farnsworth House after midnight tonight...double VIP and maybe a chance at that exclusive minifig?

While i realize these are sale prices of some sort, i am DISGUSTED at the sheer difference in prices compared to the EU ones.

I mean, for instance, that Stagecoach Chase retails for around 60 bucks here WTF :((((

Tell me about it. If I went to the store now and got the stagecoach and the troop builder it would cost me $100...

I mean, I'm fine with the regular crazy currency conversion where $1 = 10 SEK, even when it hasn't been that way since around 2002 (it should be around 6,50 SEK now). Our prices include higher tax, higher labor costs etc. But for some reason middle sets like the stagecoach and Council of Elrond go with a 1:16 ratio. That's just insane.

I mean, I'm fine with the regular crazy currency conversion where $1 = 10 SEK, even when it hasn't been that way since around 2002 (it should be around 6,50 SEK now). Our prices include higher tax, higher labor costs etc. But for some reason middle sets like the stagecoach and Council of Elrond go with a 1:16 ratio. That's just insane.

If it makes you feel better, our dollar is consistently at par, slightly below, or slightly above the US dollar. We still get dinged on every set. All the exclusives are $30 - $50 above the US prices and the large sets are $100 more.

Most Architecture sets are extremely repetetive to build, but look fantastic once completed. As PhonicleBone said; the White House especially looks really good. Fallingwater is kind of a letdown when compared to many of the other sets, should have been bigger or at least have a baseplate in the same style as the other sets. It was also kind of an annoying build, despite the puzzle-structure. Best build was the much hated Opera House.

My top 5:

1. Brandenburger Tor
2. The White House
3. Farnsworth House
4. Robie House (it's massive)
5. Space Needle (very clever use of pieces)

Dissappointing:

Fallingwater (not up to par with the later sets, does capture the fantastic design alright though)
Guggenheim Museum (bad looking toilet bowl)

Underrated:

Sydney Opera House (fun build, really doesn't look as bad as people make it out to be)

Yet to buy:

UN
Imperial Hotel
Villa Savoye
Big Ben (bought, but not yet shipped)
Rockefeller Center (bought, but not yet shipped)

Villa Savoye was a nice little set as well. That one actually came out smaller than I anticipated. The roof is the coolest part of it though.

Leaning Tower of Pisa was the last one I got, and was very nice to put together. Nice little base, but a good height to it. A good desk piece.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Waiting until the 15th to buy my new Winter Village set so I can get my Christmas bonus set. Looking forward to it.

R-User!

Target is having a "Buy One, Get One 30% off" sale this week. Some good deals there on reduced-price sets.

And spend $75 online and get a $10 gift card. It looks like the deals stack!!

So spend $80 and get 12.5 percent back off of the total in addition to a theoretical 15% max per item if both items are of equal value.

12.5%+15%=27.5% in value off of said sets... :)

Not bad at all.

Rough numbers of course...

Edit: The gift card deal online only shows when you are viewing an individual item; if you are viewing a page with multiple items it only shows the B1G1 30% off deal...

Edit:2 If you bought the:

LEGO® Star Wars Republic Gunship 75021 for the Sale Price of $110.99 online price
and the LEGO Star Wars Jabba's Palace 9516 for Sale Price $91.99 online price with the
buy 1 get 1 30% off and the $10 Gift Card offer, then your out-the-door price for Jabba's Palace would be $64.40 or a savings of $27.60.

$27.60 savings off of the order / 2 = $13.80 off of both sets + the Gift Card of $10 would be another $5 dollars of "value off of each set" for a value total of $18.80 cents off of each set.

Jabba's Palace would be $91.99-18.80= $73.19!
Republic Gunship would be $110.99-18.80= $92.19!

$92.19 + $73.19 = $165.38 / 2 = $82.69 each!

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Iwontbepickingupanyoftheseduetowalletfatigue... <_<

It's funny. Before I settled on the two Architecture sets I bought, I was heavily considering the Minecraft set but then I realized that as much as I love the concept, I like having an endgame with my builds. So having a free-form set such as Minecraft stopped being appealing to me...

It's funny. Before I settled on the two Architecture sets I bought, I was heavily considering the Minecraft set but then I realized that as much as I love the concept, I like having an endgame with my builds. So having a free-form set such as Minecraft stopped being appealing to me...

To be fair the original Minecraft set is a really pretty display piece. I haven't seen the new ones in person yet but the original does hold up quite well.

To be fair the original Minecraft set is a really pretty display piece. I haven't seen the new ones in person yet but the original does hold up quite well.

That's the thing. I wanted it for display purposes on my desk, but I realized that I'm not sure what exactly I'd want to build out of the set itself.

I guess for me personally, stuff like Architecture sets make more sense than say Minecraft.

That said... Even though the Sherlock set will probably not get past review, I'd kill for those minifigs just to display in a tiny 221B Baker Street set.

aTaKmiV.jpg

I found this at my local TRU. I enjoyed the irony immensely.

MpTiAv6.jpg

Who steals such a common figure?

That's too funny!

Gandalf Arrives - $6

Nice! I don't have internet while I'm moving and missed out on this news. I hope some LEGO is left tomorrow.

p2535748

Fallingwater is great. The Robie house is okay, not a great build, but a nice set when finished. Villa Savoye was a disappointment. The imperial hotel looks good, but I don't have it.

Anyone have the new opera house? It's expensive, but looks pretty good in video, and I'm considering it.

Top Bottom