• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

shadow29

Neo Member
Wait, isn't double VIP points a great advantage to them for larger sets? I'd imagine it boosts sales now and in the future.

And now I may not wait to grab the Haunted House that I've been forced to prioritize :p

Jimbro72

The double VIP exclusion list is total garbage.

All the modulars, the big SW sets...Horizon Express, the Camper van, the Winter Village sets, Orthanc, the expert creator sets like Tower Bridge & Opera House....

Was it like that last year? I was really hoping to get the van, wv market and the horizon express.

Well shit, that sucks. There goes any purchases I may have made next month there. Though I may end up buying one single set with the 10% off coupon I have, cashing in the VIP pts I do have and getting whatever the freebie is next month and basically have that be it for my LEGO store and S@H purchases for the month. Are they trying to push all customers to buy from Amazon or wait for clearances from Target and Walmart? Because that will soon be all my purchases will consist of.

ghostmind

This is the first I've heard of a 2x VIP exclusion list. If it is true, I do not see any justification for it (unlike my defense for the discount exclusions). I guess we'll know on Monday night...

Even better! You can sell Superman and Wonder Woman minifigs which will almost pay for the set. Throw a toupee on Lex and it can be anyone. He doesn't sell for much (around $2).

Question is do you like the robot and coloring?

note taken... I'm not a fan of the robot but I do like having more mech joints that have brick connections.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Off topic, but we got the house. The loan cleared and we close tomorrow. LEGO ROOM here I come!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the LEGO ROOM in its development!

Congrats!!! That's a huge milestone.

Thanks! All my LEGO from my childhood are still in my parent's attic. I can actually get all of that stuff out in the next couple months and start organizing. I had a 10 foot x 8 foot table when I was younger with a full city built on it. All of that stuff will be coming to the house. I doubt I will get it all setup in full city format, but the possibility is there to go along with all the stuff I have collected in the last year.

Ack. Double posting.

Update! (a good one)

I just spoke with four separate LEGO store locations, none of which are the one I visited today. The consensus is that the manager at my location misinterpreted a recent memo.

The memo in question actually listed all of the items which are no longer eligible for any discounting (such as a broken/damaged box etc.). All four of the other locations stated unequivocally that every item in the store is eligible for double VIP points.

Sorry for the scare, folks.

Ack. Double posting.

Update! (a good one)

I just spoke with four separate LEGO store locations, none of which are the one I visited today. The consensus is that the manager at my location misinterpreted a recent memo.

The memo in question actually listed all of the items which are no longer eligible for any discounting (such as a broken/damaged box etc.). All four of the other locations stated unequivocally that every item in the store is eligible for double VIP points.

Phew

Ack. Double posting.

Update! (a good one)

That was a big scare. Without the 10% discount on bit ticket items anymore, double VIP points were the final savings for exclusive stuff. I was about to boycott LEGO store except for PaB stuff.

iuuk

Why do I always notice these things when I can't really afford it :( :

P7EsIHd.png

Also notice the Death Star in the corner, trying to seduce me with the same pricing.

Edit: and Town Hall for €128 as well, but not in stock. Damn choices. Money or LEGO, LEGO or money.

That was a big scare. Without the 10% discount on bit ticket items anymore, double VIP points were the final savings for exclusive stuff. I was about to boycott LEGO store except for PaB stuff.

For sure. Some combination of Palace Cinema, WV Market, Camper Van and Horizon Express are back on the table. But if I get the latter I'll need to get tracks as well....decisions decisions.

Calm Killer

Ack. Double posting.

Update! (a good one)

Thank goodness!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Why do I always notice these things when I can't really afford it :( :

P7EsIHd.png

Also notice the Death Star in the corner, trying to seduce me with the same pricing.

Edit: and Town Hall for €128 as well, but not in stock. Damn choices. Money or LEGO, LEGO or money.

Dunno if you know, but almost every Dutch store is selling LEGO at an additional 25% discount: http://www.lowlug.nl/forums/10/12373.html

Mindstorms EV3 for example was €253 (msrp €400) at schmetstoys.nl. Obviously a lot of the expensive sets are unavailable now.

Applies to retail stores too.

B&n stores are offering 20% off for members this weekend. Store near me still has last years LOTR and Monster fighter stuff for MSRP, along with the newest friends, creator, Star Wars, and city sets. Good weekend to snag stuff.

The Malevolence that I bought on clearance months ago has sat in the other room long enough. I have been itching for a new build. Rebuilding the Red Five Sex Wing has been fun, but I need something new.

As for the set so far: dat General Grieveous figure.

sharbhund

I know that the regular 10% off coupons won't work on them, but is everyone assuming that the exclusives will also be exempt from the Brick Friday discounts, or has that been announced somewhere?

I know that the regular 10% off coupons won't work on them, but is everyone assuming that the exclusives will also be exempt from the Brick Friday discounts, or has that been announced somewhere?

Hmmm. Never thought about that. Was planning on going nuts with double VIP now that the financial situation is sorted out. But potentially 10% off on one weekend is nice too. Was planning on buying something then as well, but 10% off whole order plus regular VIP on top of that is good too.

But then I wont get the October holiday promo.

Spoke to an LEGO store employee and best thing is to use you VIP points only on items exclusive items that aren't discounted. Not as good as 10% off unless you have enough points to pay for the whole set, but makes sense since you can use 10% on non-exclusive items. Discount only applies to the amount you pay after VIP points are used.

EDIT: I think I may be wrong about "Discount only applies to the amount you pay after VIP points are used."

Spoke to an LEGO store employee and best thing is to use you VIP points only on items exclusive items that aren't discounted. Not as good as 10% off unless you have enough points to pay for the whole set, but makes sense since you can use 10% on non-exclusive items. Discount only applies to the amount you pay after VIP points are used.

That is what I needed to know for Black Friday weekend. Thank you.

That is what I needed to know for Black Friday weekend. Thank you.

Umm...that last part about discount applying after VIP points may be incorrect. I may be mixing up that you don't get any VIP points for points you used and the discount. VIP points should just be like cash. I'll verify next time.

Umm...that last part about discount applying after VIP points may be incorrect. I may be mixing up that you don't get any VIP points for points you used and the discount. VIP points should just be like cash. I'll verify next time.

I know you only earn VIP for what you spend after discounts and VIP points have been applied to the total price. But discounts like the 10% off being applied before or after VIP redemption is what I want to know.

shadow29

Neo Member
Why couldn't this weekend be the start of Double VIP. I feel like making a trip to the Lego Store, but I won't be able to buy the large sets i want til next weekend...

Calm Killer

Why couldn't this weekend be the start of Double VIP. I feel like making a trip to the Lego Store, but I won't be able to buy the large sets i want til next weekend...

I would assume because it won't be October yet on the calendar. I believe this is the first time that the Double VIP Promotion is for the full month. Previously it was only a 2 week promotion.

Since i've been away a while... i wonder about Orthanc:

For those of you that have it and built it, is it a good set? Worth the asking price?

It is very good, but not great. It looks spectacular once done, but yet the build left me slightly disappointed after I was done. It may have been that my expectations were too high for it, but it does look quite wonderful when complete. I think the closest analogue I can make for it is Town Hall. Looks awesome when done, but the experience getting to it is average.

Ponn

Banned
Since i've been away a while... i wonder about Orthanc:

For those of you that have it and built it, is it a good set? Worth the asking price?

A great display piece. Very sharp and well designed. With a smaller footprint you also have more options for display. I love Helms Deep for instance but to fully display it i need pretty much a whole table. For Orthanc i used the smallest of three shelves i just bought and looks awesome and forbidding on my wall almst touching the cieling.

A great display piece. Very sharp and well designed. With a smaller footprint you also have more options for display. I love Helms Deep for instance but to fully display it i need pretty much a whole table. For Orthanc i used the smallest of three shelves i just bought and looks awesome and forbidding on my wall almst touching the cieling.

The small footprint of Orthanc is a big asset when it comes to displaying it. I have it on top of one of my speakers and it fits perfectly. Much like R2-D2.

neonglow

Blurry pic of the new Maersk ship from LEGO Fan Weekend. An official announcement should be coming soon. Doesn't look like minifigure scale =(

994909_509057809183527_1700367844_n.jpg

It's a model of the Triple E ship:

Triple-E.jpeg

Top Bottom