• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

ghostmind

Ah, sorry. Somewhat I confused the London Bus date with OFS. Thanks for the clarification.

One more thing: BrickFan is reporting that Palace Cinema is retiring soon, together with Classic Batcave and a few others. Have you heard the same thing? I wasconsidering getting another modular, but Palace Cinema is the least I like, but maybe I should get it.

BrickFan has solid sources, so it would be safe to assume that Palace Cinema, Classic Batcave, UCS TIE, and SHIELD Helicarrier are heading OOP soon.

I'm surprised the Cinema lasted this long.

Christian

BrickFan has solid sources, so it would be safe to assume that Palace Cinema, Classic Batcave, UCS TIE, and SHIELD Helicarrier are heading OOP soon.

So the Cinema is definitely the next modular to go extinct? Didn't LEGO retire the Town Hall before the Pet Shop, even though Per Shop was the older set? I'm always paranoid about modulars, now. If I get the Cinema for double points this weekend, should I be covered on retiring modulars for a while?

So the Cinema is definitely the next modular to go extinct? Didn't LEGO retire the Town Hall before the Pet Shop, even though Per Shop was the older set? I'm always paranoid about modulars, now. If I get the Cinema for double points this weekend, should I be covered on retiring modulars for a while?

Seems so, although I thought Parisian Restaurant would go sooner, due to its pieces. So to be safe, grab it too.

Funny you guys mention palace cinema

I bought a tub of legos at a thrift store that has that set in it along with a shit load of other sets

I hate sorting through everything, tedious

I only have the budget for one modular a year, so its probably gonna come down to palace cinema or old fishing store. Ideas sets dont seem to last much longer than a year so I'll have to get that one this year probably. Hmm it'll be hard to chose. Might end up getting palace cinema this year and old fishing store in the summer of next year before it retires.

Coincidentally Walmart Canada just put all of those sets, minus the tie fighter, on rollback; along with Assault on Hoth, the Ferrari F40, the Minecraft Village, both Simpsons sets and the Yellow Submarine. Palace Cinema seems to have sold out immediately unfortunatly, most of the rest are still available though.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/toys/lego...kWr0b5luhu3pkYocXW8Wg&wmlspartner=TnL5HPStwNw

ghostmind

Coincidentally Walmart Canada just put all of those sets, minus the tie fighter, on rollback; along with Assault on Hoth, the Ferrari F40, the Minecraft Village, both Simpsons sets and the Yellow Submarine. Palace Cinema seems to have sold out immediately unfortunatly, most of the rest are still available though.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/toys/lego...kWr0b5luhu3pkYocXW8Wg&wmlspartner=TnL5HPStwNw

Those are some big price drops for Canada - I don't expect these to stay in stock soon.

I went in on the Classic Batcave. Been wanting the set for the minifigures and the sale price was closer to what the set should have actually been Double points pushed me over the edge. I think that set would have been a much better seller at $200 than $269.

DBT85

There would be tons and tons of big plates, rather than the 1x1 parts that they are normally padding parts counts with nowadays.

I do have to wonder if there wouldn't be a better way of calculating a fair price, as per peice is clearly rubbish when so many are 1x1 or 1x2.

Maybe per LEGO unit, and 1 unit is equal to 1x 2x4 "standard" brick. So a 1x1 @ 1/3rd height piece would only count as 1/24th. A 1x1 full height would be 1/8. etc. Might be a bit more difficult to calculate though :p lol.

If this Falcon ever actually comes out I'll be waiting for a double VIP at the minimum.

That's assuming they ever get the Saturn back in stock.

Does anyone know if older Minecraft sets are hard to find/expensive?

I'm debating starting another collection of trying to get everything, and the new Mountain set looks awesome. I know if buy it, I'll want the rest of them to finish the set, haha.

I do have to wonder if there wouldn't be a better way of calculating a fair price, as per peice is clearly rubbish when so many are 1x1 or 1x2.

Maybe per LEGO unit, and 1 unit is equal to 1x 2x4 "standard" brick. So a 1x1 @ 1/3rd height piece would only count as 1/24th. A 1x1 full height would be 1/8. etc. Might be a bit more difficult to calculate though :p lol.

If this Falcon ever actually comes out I'll be waiting for a double VIP at the minimum.

That's assuming they ever get the Saturn back in stock.

I am assuming that the ammount of material used in a piece is irrelevant. Cost is based on the ammount of pieces a machine can produce per ammount of time, plus of course fixed costs for packing, transportation, marketing, developing. The size of the pieces won't matter for packing/store space too since Lego packages are fairly big in relation to their contents.

Yes, smaller pieces should be produced faster, but not as a big saving as someone would imagine. For us customers bigger pieces are a better value, but to a manufacturer I would not guess.

DonShula

Does anyone know if older Minecraft sets are hard to find/expensive?

I'm debating starting another collection of trying to get everything, and the new Mountain set looks awesome. I know if buy it, I'll want the rest of them to finish the set, haha.

Looks like they are starting to get harder to find. Not sure about expensive yet. The Lego Store here was clearancing half their sets, and they barely had any on display to start with. Their section for Minecraft was about half the shelf space it used to be. Have seen clearance at other stores too.

DonShula

Finally finished...

img_1233qdkmj.jpg

img_12306ikqo.jpg

Thanks again oneknightr for the delightful transaction.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am assuming that the ammount of material used in a piece is irrelevant. Cost is based on the ammount of pieces a machine can produce per ammount of time, plus of course fixed costs for packing, transportation, marketing, developing. The size of the pieces won't matter for packing/store space too since Lego packages are fairly big in relation to their contents.

Yes, smaller pieces should be produced faster, but not as a big saving as someone would imagine. For us customers bigger pieces are a better value, but to a manufacturer I would not guess.

I would expect it to be somewhat similar to silicon chip production. Each press will likely have a fixed mold size and they can therefore produce a lot more small parts in one pressing than they can for larger parts. Plus if there are any defects in manufacture, they would potentially affect larger pieces more, if they’re 'defects per mm2, for example.

At a simplified level, the pricing could be per gram, as larger pieces will use more raw materials as well as more space on a mold.

DBT85

He's done lads.

Glorious. So much fun and a snip at £160.

FWvqXGv.jpg

I have the Tie and Slave 1 arriving this week.

Now.....Red Five.

Weevilone

So I missed the UCS Tie sales and Amazon has it for $186.xx, or double VIP with Lego.

Think it's worth continuing to hold off for a sale like before? Or buy before it's retired?

scilego

Neo Member
$20 after 20% discount

The savers I go to has high prices on lego bins and people don't touch them, bought a $10 bin with arkham asylum a few weeks back

Fuck sorting pieces, I hate it so much

I tried to nab a bin on Facebook marketplace for 25$, the pic had the unmistakeable engines of the ucs Y Wing. Somebody else beat me to it though. Still dreaming for a score like you guys seem to find

Ponn

Banned
Ok I just had to stop and walk away from building the Saturn V because I was losing my temper. I'm on bag 4 and I've been noticing this throughout the build but it just hit ridiculous proportions. This is a really ridiculously unstable build. I was questioning some of these connections as I'm building them and sure enough they are not tight. I'm putting on one assembled panel and as I do two parts fall off. I start turning it to inspect and a whole previous build falls off the side. I try to put that panel back on and literally two more panels fall off. And then the bottom portion just decides to simply say fuck it and fall right off and I'm literally now back to the bag one build. This definitely feels like a MOC build not an official Lego build. I'm sure the end product is glorious as everyone says but this build has been one of the more frustrating ones I've done.

Hmm, I had no issues with fragility when building the Saturn V, except for attaching the first panel wrong, like someone else in this thread did.

When putting the panels on I just braced the exact opposite side and things clicked into place.

Me three on the Saturn V.

I've only completed the main bottom area (half-way or so through the whole thing) and it has been solid as a rock so far.

Ponn

Banned
I had a couple drinks and came back to it. I had to rebuild a good chunk of it and placed some of the later panels out of order to be able to get a better grip and make sure the clutch was tight. Those little red 2 x 2 red side snot pieces being used on just one stud kept slipping but that wasn't the main problems. The bottom half of the first module being held to the top by only one 2 x 2 brick kept coming loose everytime I was putting on the side panels. And then I was holding an opposite panel putting pressure to brace as I was adding another panel but one or both of the middle panels kept losing their clutch and popping off. All of this happening at the same time. If it holds tightly with the finished model it won't be a huge deal it just would have been nice to have more snot pieces in the inner build for the panel builds to clutch on to. It's holding right now as I got more of the top part built and added more panels but that was just really annoying. It's gonna knock it down a notch for me overall.

gsrjedi

I picked up the Constraction Scout for double VIP. Added him to my Scout Trooper shelf. The finished product looks good, but as someone who's not using to dealing with a lot of Technic pieces, getting things lined up was kind of fiddly.

I picked up the Constraction Scout for double VIP. Added him to my Scout Trooper shelf. The finished product looks good, but as someone who's not using to dealing with a lot of Technic pieces, getting things lined up was kind of fiddly.

That's a cool collection! I'm a fan of the Scout Trooper, although obviously not no that extent. Is that a Hot Toys version? And I don't see the Figuarts version, you should get that.

_Rob_

So my tax rebate went through... in the same week as double VIP points; that's a dangerous combination! On the bright side though I have both the Palace Cinema and the Brick Bank on the way, I can't wait for the weekend!

I had a rough hour at the dentist, so I treated myself to a set that I was planning to wait for a sale on. It's 41187 (Rosalyn's Healing Hideout), the last of the dragon sets (for now). I've built the dragon (will take updated group shots once the weather clears) but I won't bother with the building since it will just sit around until I break it down for parts.

(Anecdotally, a little girl was at the shop and picked out the fire dragon set after much deliberation - good for her, that's a great set for the price.)

Aside from the dragon, I also got the set for Rosalyn. As usual, when Elves put some extra effort into a minidoll, they are amazing. A pretty good Naida too... I'm thinking this is the third variation I have.

Also, some of the parts gave me an idea...

Top Bottom