• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Fowler

Big things are afoot in my Lego room!

My office / Lego city layout room is getting a long overdue redecoration. New floor, sky blue walls (so the city has a nice sky of course!), new storage areas etc. I'm excited to be able to re-work our city layout into something much more impressive.

We're gonna have tables around all four walls of the room with a lift out section by the door to create a full circle layout. The lift out section will be constructed to hang below the tables to create a rive/harbor area with our doubled up Spiderman Bridge Battle spanning the gap. Space is being reserved next to this for a harbor area and the old fishing store.

We're also planning to add a new modular width shelf along two walls of the room above the tables to create a tiered city where trains (and eventually an underground station) can run under the shelves along on the table and below the upper level of the city. We plan to use vertically positioned base plates with tiles and plates on top for brick details to create the front walls of this raised section, with tunnel entrances for the train, roads and the station and modulars along the front and along top of the shelf. Hoping the new Ninjago City set will be able to sit on the table and stretch up to the top level to help tie it all together too :)

Our newly acquired Lego Space monorail (with city tram modified to fit on it) will serve both levels of the city while a spur/branch line is planned to take inhabitants to a new theme-park area where our Ferris Wheel, Carousel and Temple of Airjitsu will live (like some sort of eastern themed Disney castle). The branch will have to wait until we can afford some more monorail track tho, so for now it's just gonna be a switch track to nowhere...

We've bought a few of the older creator houses recently too (Apple Tree House, Hill Top House, the old yellow beach house etc) to create a new suburban area as well, which will be separated from the city by the river and will have lots of trees and flowers to contrast it from the more built up areas. Excited!

At the very least I'll take a few pictures during construction to share here :) This has been a dream of ours for a few years now, so we're very excited to be getting the time to work on it!

Dismantling of the current layout has begun... Spare room is looking a bit crowded ;)

Congratulations! Can't wait to see it :)

I stopped by my parents to pick up some Lego during the weekend, most of it being fairly dusty. I washed a bit of it, but it is taking forever to dry. The smaller pieces are no problem, but water seem to clog in the underside of the bigger bricks. Is there any way to speed it up aside from blowing on the pieces with a hairdryer?

I stopped by my parents to pick up some Lego during the weekend, most of it being fairly dusty. I washed a bit of it, but it is taking forever to dry. The smaller pieces are no problem, but water seem to clog in the underside of the bigger bricks. Is there any way to speed it up aside from blowing on the pieces with a hairdryer?

I usually place the pieces over a really soft towel and let them dry over there. Just turn the pieces around after a while. A few hours is usually enough for them to dry.

I usually place the pieces over a really soft towel and let them dry over there. Just turn the pieces around after a while. A few hours is usually enough for them to dry.

Yeah I did a batch last night and put them on a towel to dry overnight, but as I said the underside of the big pieces collect water. Oh well, I guess they will dry eventually.

Nice use of that many separators we have around:

4647155-o_1bktin49hedv11mmh9c1v6qdqbo-tt1SGvoW5OBAOw-thumbnail-full.jpg

Ideas page.

Thinking about doing another contest soon, y'all wanna do a brickheadz mashup? I was thinking of letting people pick from up to 3 of any brickheadz and mash them together into one

Ponn

Banned
Reviews of JL sets are starting to pop up on youtube. Yup, they are indeed mediocre. I still have no clue what that knight crawler thing is supposed to be. I'm only interested in getting some parademons so i'm probably going to get that cheap Aquaman set and that is it.

Thinking about doing another contest soon, y'all wanna do a brickheadz mashup? I was thinking of letting people pick from up to 3 of any brickheadz and mash them together into one

Yeah I'm in. Maybe don't place restrictions on the three sets, but recommend 3 for a good parts variety.

£30 is a bit of an investment for people that don't already have a few of these, is all I'd say. "Make your own Brickhead" is a nice idea but Brickset are doing that already :lol

What about that cool looking Dinosaur set? I'm sure people wouldn't need much convincing to pick that up - obviously that makes anything Brickhead related probably impossible though, so ignore if the Brickhead thing can work!

papluh

Not so long ago there was a short Test Lab project on official Ideas page and alternate models from Creator sets was the first and only competition. The Dinosaur set had the most entries which shows it is kind of universal, but also lot of ideas are already out there...

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Here's a little something that took much longer than what it should've. I've been collecting DC figs for as long as TLG have been producing them so thought it was time to start building with em. Plan to do a different villain/vignette every month, but dont want to promise just incase :p
https://flic.kr/p/WAM33y

DonShula

Here's a little something that took much longer than what it should've. I've been collecting DC figs for as long as TLG have been producing them so thought it was time to start building with em. Plan to do a different villain/vignette every month, but dont want to promise just incase :p

Love it!

https://brickset.com/sets/list-14074

Skip down to the designer notes for 75182.

What could it be??? Hmmm.....

What an odd comment, with the date and all.

ghostmind

Love it!

What an odd comment, with the date and all.

Very specific indeed...

On that note, Schlömer has a very impresssive collection of sets since joining the Star Wars team, including the UCS Slave I, the Resistance Transport, and the most recent system-scale Millennium Falcon, which won the "Toy of the Year" award at Toy Fair in February.

And I like his comment about the Hoth set:

Everything in this set, with the exception of the small transport car, already existed when I joined the Star Wars team and took over development with the directive of "don't add anything, don't remove anything - just run with it".
Arguably rather a big play set than a true "UCS" set, I believe it is nevertheless very underrated. Definitely nothing for the hard core collector who already got every set back to 1999, but a good catch-up on everything Hoth for new LEGO Star Wars fans.

Fowler

His comment on Krennic's Shuttle is interesting too:

Lucasfilm thought we should rather make the "hero" 4-winged transport ship, but we convinced them to do Krennic's shuttle instead with a sketch model I made.

EDIT: If you think about it, the minifigs for Krennic's Shuttle wouldn't be massively out of place if the set was the 4-winged "Rogue One" transport they use to get to Scarif (which I assume is what Lucasfilm wanted): Bodhi, K2, Pao, Krennic, 2 Death Troopers.

DonShula

His comment on Krennic's Shuttle is interesting too:

EDIT: If you think about it, the minifigs for Krennic's Shuttle wouldn't be massively out of place if the set was the 4-winged "Rogue One" transport they use to get to Scarif (which I assume is what Lucasfilm wanted): Bodhi, K2, Pao, Krennic, 2 Death Troopers.

That does make a heck of a lot more sense. I thought they were just stuffing the K2 fig in the most expensive set.

ghostmind

I don't want an announcement of the Falcon on September 1st. I want a release date of September 1st!

Just imagine, between a UCS Falcon release and The Last Jedi sets on the same day... it would be my second most expensive single LEGO purchase ever.

However rumours point to an October 1st release, with a possibility of a mid-September VIP release.

DBT85

Just imagine, between a UCS Falcon release and The Last Jedi sets on the same day... it would be my second most expensive single LEGO purchase ever.

However rumours point to an October 1st release, with a possibility of a mid-September VIP release.

They can VIP whenever they like. Won't be spending £600 without double points lol.

Mid-September release fucking hell I'm not prepared but I guess I know what part of my bonus is going towards this year.

Have LEGO Boost here to try and learn it, but since the app isn't available to download yet, I can't do a thing with it. And you need the app for the instructions too. Ugh.

On a better note, downloaded the Technic instructions app. LEGO needs to put that out for every set they make. Having the directions easily accessible, and with 3d rotatable views is incredible.

ghostmind

Have LEGO Boost here to try and learn it, but since the app isn't available to download yet, I can't do a thing with it. And you need the app for the instructions too. Ugh.

On a better note, downloaded the Technic instructions app. LEGO needs to put that out for every set they make. Having the directions easily accessible, and with 3d rotatable views is incredible.

I would love an instructions app. Just changing from the printed instructions to online PDFs has been a game-changer for me.

Boogiepop

So, here's a kind of random question for you guys: How plausible would it be to make a Gundam of sorts with what's out there now? I remembered that that was always my dream build as a kid, and I tried with what I had, but... well, normal hinges didn't exactly make for the best/most stable joints.

Trying to think on what the best approach would be, especially in regards to those joints. Would building off some sort of Technic skeleton be the way to approach this? Definitely would want to do something on the scale that it could have a minifig riding in a cockpit, if nothing else.

Still just a vague thought and nothing that I'd be likely to execute on anytime soon, but getting back into Lego has caused that old dream/desire to resurface. (Actually haven't even moc'd anything since hoping back into the Lego game. Just been picking up sets I like in order to follow the instructions... I guess the smart plan as an adult is to mock something up in LDD and then bricklink the parts?)

Edit: ...I just realized how amazing it'd be to make a Lego Leopardon to put Spider-man into, but... that's probably a bit much in terms of transforming bits, and it's admittedly not the coolest giant robot model around to consider making. But man do I love the idea of it.

I would love an instructions app. Just changing from the printed instructions to online PDFs has been a game-changer for me.

Since I got a new 10.5" iPad Pro, might do the online PDF next build just to see how it goes.

But just farting around with the Technic app showed how much further they can push things if they really wanted to.

So, here's a kind of random question for you guys: How plausible would it be to make a Gundam of sorts with what's out there now? I remembered that that was always my dream build as a kid, and I tried with what I had, but... well, normal hinges didn't exactly make for the best/most stable joints.

Trying to think on what the best approach would be, especially in regards to those joints. Would building off some sort of Technic skeleton be the way to approach this? Definitely would want to do something on the scale that it could have a minifig riding in a cockpit, if nothing else.

Still just a vague thought and nothing that I'd be likely to execute on anytime soon, but getting back into Lego has caused that old dream/desire to resurface. (Actually haven't even moc'd anything since hoping back into the Lego game. Just been picking up sets I like in order to follow the instructions... I guess the smart plan as an adult is to mock something up in LDD and then bricklink the parts?)

Edit: ...I just realized how amazing it'd be to make a Lego Leopardon to put Spider-man into, but... that's probably a bit much in terms of transforming bits, and it's admittedly not the coolest giant robot model around to consider making. But man do I love the idea of it.

Buy some of the mechs available out there now to get ideas on build technics, etc. There is never a shortage of mechs it seems, especially with Ninjago going strong.

And if you can somehow find Nexo Knights King's Mech, snatch that up in a big hurry.

Fowler

...what was your most expensive single LEGO purchase ever?

Mine was the Death Star, which probably isn't that bad by the standards of this thread? :)

DBT85

That would be the original UCS Falcon - $2k on the aftermarket.
Ayyy.

What are your plans for it and the new one?

Most expensive for me so far is only Slave 1 and Tie Fighter new from S@H. Should have been R2D2 or Red Five but I got lucky on ebay.

Doubt I'll be that lucky with B-Wing and all the others are just too expensive now.

The most expensive set that i got was the UCS ISD last year for 900$.
I really need to sell some of my sets to make space for that monster in september.

valkyre

Do you guys expect major redesign for the new UCS or to follow pretty much the same core design and build with the previous one, just with some added details here and there?

Mine was the Death Star, which probably isn't that bad by the standards of this thread? :)

Mine would be the UCS Shuttle Tydirium. Looking really hard at Y-Wing now....but I think I can wait or I might just bricklink the set (with substitute parts for those unique to the set).

But I'm pretty darn sure I'll be getting the new UCS Falcon.

That's great! Looking forward to your monthly posts!

Mine is cheap at $210 for the UCS Imperial Shuttle, bought on amazon. I've hardly ever paid full retail unless it was a rare set and I was worried about missing it, like the zombie set which i'll never get over.

Do you guys expect major redesign for the new UCS or to follow pretty much the same core design and build with the previous one, just with some added details here and there?

I hope it's gonna be a complete redesign.
It's been 10 years, there's a lot of new pieces and techniques that they can use.

DBT85

I hope it's gonna be a complete redesign.
It's been 10 years, there's a lot of new pieces and techniques that they can use.

I just hope they come back to things like the Y Wing and stuff too.

They must see the money they are leaving in wallets by not making this stuff for longer.

ghostmind

Friends 2018 info from Sir Von Lego:

41327 Mia's room (sport action)
41328 Stephanie's room (sport action)
41332 Emma's Kiosk of arts
41335 Mia's treehouse
41336 Emma's Cafe of Arts
41338 Stephanie's sport stadium with Vicki and Stephanie, Tennis playground and basketball
41339 Mia's Camper Van (lime truck with tree, tent, horse and assessories)
41340 House of friendship, a lot of Play functions, 3 mini dolls, dark nougat (?) house

There will be additional sets, but details were not listed.

ghostmind

Speed Champions returns in 2018, though details are limited at this time.

There will be six sets (75884 to 75889), with the first four being single cars, and the final two being medium and large sets respectively. The six sets will feature Ferrari, Ford and Porsche, with two sets per manufacturer.

_Rob_

Speed Champions returns in 2018, though details are limited at this time.

There will be six sets (75884 to 75889), with the first four being single cars, and the final two being medium and large sets respectively. The six sets will feature Ferrari, Ford and Porsche, with two sets per manufacturer.

I sincerely hope they do some vintage cars within this range. Don't get me wrong I love the detail on the more modern shapes like the Bugatti, but something like a 70's Mustang would be fantastic!

Top Bottom